Currently a Ubuntu user who wants to switch to one of these. Sup Forums seems to prefer the latter...

Currently a Ubuntu user who wants to switch to one of these. Sup Forums seems to prefer the latter, but can anyone explain why one is better?

Why don't you fucking try them and see for yourself?

There's literally no reason to use it it's really for neets who have too much time on their hands

Use Arch if you actually want to learn about the inner workings of Linux. Install Gentoo if you wanna use a meme Distro.

Install Sup Forumsoid or FreeBSD if you want a build your own experience, install Openindiana, Mint, or Makulu if you want a good out of the box desktop experience.

FUCKING THIS

Gentoo/Sabayon/CRUX/Slackware have ZERO, and I truly mean ZERO advantages over a more capable distro, and have a host of disadvantages. You are NOT cool for using a "hacker" distro, you are NOT cool for taking 30 extra steps to do something that has been automated for the past decade.

Asking a bunch of faggots on Sup Forums is easier

Seems like it would be useful to really learn how computers and operating systems work at a lower level, though? I'm only in HS so I have a fair bit of free time, and I'd like to be a software developer at some point.

No. Work your way through SICP if you feel like learning how computers work. Playing with Gentoo will teach you random shit about how to configure Linux.

>you shouldn't use stuff you enjoy because I don't see the point/understand it

Install Sweet-OS instead.

If you are up for a bit of reading and a learning curve then gentoo is a great distro. Gives you a lot of control over your system, portage is a swell packet manager and once it is all set up is very stable and has a solid community behind it. Give it a go.

>animeposter
>saying something retarded

poetry

>anime
sigh.

Advantages for what?

Adding a custom patch to a package and preserving it across updates is a fucking pain on a .deb/.rpm based distro.

And then there's, uh, crux and slackware, which actually have zero advantages and are complete garbage, especially crux. Complete garbage.

Do you feel like spending hours to download and compile chromium? Or 5 minutes?

I can find download links for Gentoo and Arch but not this. From where do I get it?

Binhosts exist

Only ricers compile literally everything. Portage just makes keeping the things you do compile up to date with the same customizations easier.

It's not that much hassel. I mean, can you _really_ not have access to your computer for a bit? Just stick it on to compile and go and do something else.

>not a single person took the bait
Damn

>This thread again

Arch and Ubuntu are the most popular distro in Sup Forums for a valid reason

Yeah, all of Sup Forums is fucking retarded

wew lad
e
w
l
a
d

Both of them allow you to compile from source, but Arch makes you jump through far less hoops.

If you do do Gentoo, don't bother compiling a custom kernel like the guide offers. You'll almost certainly end up disabling something you actually need in the name of shaving off a few kilobytes.

If you're interested in a ports-based experience though, why not use BSD? Quality code, no autistic channer community, no systemd.

Arch if you want to revive a really old PC or just if you're a le ebin 1337 hackr wannabe

Gentoo if you want something actually autistic.

When you said 'one of these', you meant to type arch right?

What happened to this board?

If you enjoy figuring things out as you go, aren't afraid to break things, and have plenty of time then go for gentoo. Frustrating as hell when you're new but feels great once you get it right.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Arch makes you jump through hoops if you want to compile from source while with Gentoo you almost always compile from source.

And if you have any idea what you're doing, you won't ever remove things you need from your kernel.

Even if you don't have any idea what you're doing, you can just go back after you've fucked up, add it in, and recompile.

I've used OS X and BSD for almost the entirety of this decade, but back in the previous one where all I had was a netbook and Arch/Gentoo were pretty much a necessity for me, I recall Gentoo's install process being rather involved. That's what I mean by jumping through hoops. Arch was fast and straightforward to install, and if I wanted to compile from ports, I'd run the ABS command instead of pacman.

when you fucking posted on my board you meant to read the thread title right?

hello newfriend

You don't own this board.

Only a retard calls others retard

well i certainly owned your mother.

>Gentoo install process being rather involved

Ah, yes. That's somewhat true. The Gentoo install is a bit longer than Arch because it doesn't have scripts to do everything for you (e.g., you have to make your own fstab, if you aren't using systemd you have to do a quick wpa_supplicant.conf edit, you don't just type a command to download the base packages and you have to go and get a tarball and pop it open on your chroot, etc.) plus you have to config the kernel.

That makes you retarded.

What does that make you?

idiot

A retard.

A recursive retard
ftfy. Don't thank me.

There's nothing wrong with using Gentoo. It's fucking amazing.

This. There is a world of computing outside Linux, the Linux kernel, and the terminal emulators and their accessories.

If you want to learn about operating systems, study the different design decisions made with different OSs: micro vs macro kernels, layering, protection, driver management, etc. Using gentoo or arch might make you an expert in the esoteric programs that come bundled with them (pacman LOL), but it won't teach you much about OSs outside of Linux.

TL;DR Don't make the mistake of thinking gentoo or arch someone make you learn more about OSs and computers.

Using Arch or Gentoo in no way makes someone an expert in anything. A man spends his entire life learning. Most people are novice-intermediate but think they're advanced.

You are just proving his point

Linux is not an operating system, newfriend. It has no package managers, terminals and other "accessories". I think you should learn more about OSs and computers.

You mean GNU corelibs and shell utils

>Playing with Gentoo will teach you random shit about how to configure Linux.
This! If you "want to learn about operating systems" get a fucking book about it. Tanenbaum or w/e. Your computer should be your tool to whatever you want to accomplish and not your timesink.

That's a big word, user

I still have no desire to upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04.

Is my neet gentoo epoch over Sup Forums?

I haven't used gentoo yet, but despite what people say, arch is a great distro for working, especially with GNOME.

It takes a but more time to configure since a lot of stuff that works out of the box on Ubuntu or fedora doesn't on arch but once everything is set up, it works great.

Use architect to configure your OS, configure your software (the AUR and yaourt are great if you want to save time) and you will be set for a while with a pretty lightweight and fast distro.

Gentoo if looking for pure GNU/Linux experience, Arch if looking for hipster life-style.

Gentoo is way more hipster than Arch