I am literally 100% right

I am literally 100% right

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Mountain_nuclear_waste_repository
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Isolation_Pilot_Plant
youtube.com/watch?v=xrvs420WeoI
ucsusa.org/nuclear-power/cost-nuclear-power#.V3dFJyMXbqA)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But what about nuclear waste

Solar thermal is objectively better than photovoltaic though.

Put it in Yucca Mountain.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Mountain_nuclear_waste_repository

Fusion isnt Meme tier, it just doesn't work, ... yet.

if it doesnt work its a meme

Call us when it works.

I think nuclear power is bad because radiation into the water makes it hard for fish to spawn

Reusable

>Call us when it works.
Alright what's your number?

actually hydro is god tier because it can serve all purposes, nuclear is only good for producing stable energy that secures the base needs. So if you have enough sufficient sources for hydro its the literal best and basicly the only one that is sufficient for all needs.

Biomass is god-tier my friend

Good, now build a usine around it :^)

biomass is basicly a shittier version of coal with changed ratios of inpurities and added slow renewability. Literally no one can defend this.

Didn't Yucca Mountain get shut down because it was near a fault line or something?

Besides, iirc the new gen of reactors can use nuclear waste as fuel

>defending nuclear energy

Yucca mountain got shut down because politician is a synonym for flaming faggot.

Yes, got shut down. Now waste is going to WIPP
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Isolation_Pilot_Plant

>thinking anything at all is wrong with nuclear energy

You are actually 100% right, carry on OP.

Hydro should be god tier. It's fucking awesome.

Waste. Ionizing radiation.

Nah, dude. Hydro disrupts rivers and surrounding ecosystem

Maybe in 1986 USSR

Hydro literally destroys the ecosystem around it.

high level nuclear waste account for like 3% of all nuclear waste, and it can be reused in some reactors.

>theory
>meaning that we don't know for sure

Reminder that nobody ever has confirmed the existence of a nuclear fusion reaction, let alone if we can use it to generate energy.

Reminder that nobody has ever confirmed your existence

it's all just a theory

>God-tier: Fission
K
>Top-tier: Geothermal, hydroelectric, onshore wind
eh; eh; lolwut?
>Mid-tier: Biomass, photovoltaic
eh never really looked into it; ok
>Low-tier: offshore wind
eh
>SHIT-tier: solar-thermal, tidal
u wot m8??, eh
>Meme-tier: fusion
um, wtf, lol?

Hydro should be mid tier. There literally aren't enough rivers to power everything. There's also a ton of consequences, like changing the hydrology of a region so if not done carefully it can be disastrous.

Literally not a problem. Climates and ecosystems have been changing on their own for millions of years. Deal with it.

Easier to deal with than the consequences of other clean energy sources. There are plenty of places to store it where it'll be safe, the biggest problem in picking a spot so far is bureaucracy. Solar is a meme because mining the minerals/metals for it is horrible for the environment. Wind is OK, but it can't be applied everywhere. The biggest drawback with wind is ruining the scenery, but that's subjective. Hydro can fuck up the ecosystem of the river and the hydrology of the surrounding area and there aren't enough rivers to power everything. Nuclear is the only option that can provide enough power for everything with minimal impacts on humans and the environment.

>change has always happened so it's always good

If I wasn't so tired, I'd argue, but I only got shit-tier comebacks atm.
I was coding my hentai web app most of the day, and I still gotta make a YouTube video in a little while. I need a nap, tho

Tired shitposting is still shitposting

>>change has always happened so it's always good
Not what I said. Animals adapt or move. Life goes on. Crying because some change may happen is pretty stupid when change is bound to occur anyway.

Humans are animals, and one of the adaptations we've evolved is the ability to influence the environment to our benefit. If we can prevent change for our benefit, we should.

yucca mountain got shut down because some senator from NV at first was like, "hey give us money to build a sweet facility to store waste" and then turned around and said "fuck you guys, i already got the money, you can't store anything here".

This left the DOE in a pickle because they couldn't force NV to do it, as they'd risk a MASSIVE backlash (federal government forces NV to accept nuclear waste!".

basically we taxpayers got fucking played.

>Humans are animals
That's part of the reason I used the word actually.
>If we can prevent change for our benefit, we should.
And if we can induce change for our benefit then we should too. It isn't a one way street.

HWAT FI mwe made nuckealr fusikon but we used the sun as the reactor. but we make like a bunch of energy collectors borbit the sun like a bugnch of orgbiiting solar panels. and we make them orbit real close so tehy get realy hot. and make alot fo energy. for earth. and then we take all the made energty and we beam it back to earth. for ppl

I think that's a great idea

How is biomass not shit tier? Are you from Iowa?

elloit musk PLZZZZZZZ send

youtube.com/watch?v=xrvs420WeoI

nCIE DUIBS MIRSTER RIMIER!!!!!!!

And the climate is so complicated and there's so much we don't know that humans are much safer maintaining the status quo than attempting terraforming at this point.

You think our nuclear technology has improved a bit since the Cold War?

>mid tier
>pv
>massive progress being made year-on-year
>only solution that can be put up practically anywhere
>already massively taking off and it is nowhere near as good as it will be a decade from now
>mid tier

I always knew Sup Forums was full of retards, thanks for confirming it.

What if all nuclear fuel on earth is used up? What about the radiation and toxicity of the waste that will exist fir millions of years?

>Using """renders"""

test

Riddle me this fuckboy,

How the FUCK does water get radioactive? Seriously name one single radioactive isotope of oxygen or hydrogen that can be caused by the baby tier bullshit that comes out of fuel rods. Do the fucking liberals think deuterium causes cancer now holy fuck. Even if you do get a neutron emission that causes a radioactive nitrogen molecule that shit is half lifed to hell in like 10 seconds god damn

>How the FUCK does water get radioactive?
Tritium.

THSI s me jsut so u kno

Harry Reid up to his usual shenanigans.
We should toss him off the top of it.

Sorry, but the Dyson Sphere is best tier.

Which rarely gets produced and causes 0 rems compared to background radiation...

I'm not saying anything about how common or bad it is, just answering the question.

thermally

>Nuclear in charge of being built on time and on budget

if you replace the cringeworthy lolwats with what the fucks this was basically going to be my response to OP.

DAE le thorium?

why isn't nuclear categorized as renewable?
in theory all energy source will extinguish after enough time.
even if Earth's population caps at 20B and everyone consumes energy at 3X the rate of the most modern societies today, there is enough energy that can be harnessed from nuclear fuels, given high energy density, to power our world indefinitely for all practical purposes.

Because eco hippy faggots think nuclear is literally satan.

I live in Quebec and we have closed down our last nuclear plant a few years ago because nuclear power is dangerous. We have enough rivers to power the entire province, and possibly the entirety of north America if we build enough plants. Expect us to control your power supply by the end of century because

N U C L E A R I S S H I T

>what is fukushima

thank Carter for not being able to reprocess

>I am literally 100% right
Not quite. You have to take into account the efficiency. Wind wins a fuck ton there.

>>what is fukushima
The city I live in.

if you think it hasn't you're retarded.
and charnobyl wasnt designed solely as a power reactor, but to produced plutonium and power in tandem. and it had positive void and temperature coefficients of reactivity (which are not licensable in the US)

i just hope no children in your family and friend's family is born with gigantism then

now check their respective capacity factors..

and power density

No signs of it so far.

Also, Fukushima city is about 60km from the power plant, so not much to worry about. Place is nice though.

>>what is fukushima
willful negligence of safety

yeah they shouldn't have activated the earthquake switch

When you think of power, there are aspects that need to be taken into account.
>location
Wind is the heavy winner here. You can put wind turbines anywhere and still get power, plus they dont take up much space.
>power density
Nuclear power wins here. Fission is OP.
>cost to power ratio
Wind wins here again. Low cost to make, and power output pays off.
>environmental impact
Wind or Geothermal win here. They have small environmental impact. Nuclear needs mining, hydroelectric impedes waterways, solar has a large carbon footprint. You could probably throw tidal in there somewhere.

Wind is a good source of power that is truly renewable. I would argue that until we have fusion reactors, nuclear is not reliable due to its non renewability.

>God Tier
>Not a dyson sphere

earthquake of same magnitude occurred 100 years prior in same place, followed by tsunami
>known to japs
>put generators in basement
>know thats not safe
>put some tubing up to top level so the intakes wouldnt flood
>tsunami comes and floods diesel generators
>station blackout could have been avoided by moving and isolating the generators from a known problem

>>cost to power ratio
>Wind wins here again.
for a wind farm to output the equivalent amount of energy of a nuclear power plant, the cost is about 2 billion give or take a few million. for the nuke plant, it's 1-3 billion
theyre pretty comparable, even with all of the regulations and delays nuclear power facilities face.

Canada sells twice as much oil as Saudi Arabia to the US. You have the US by the balls but you're too much of a cuck to do anything.

The cost of building, which is factored into the ratio, for a nuclear plant is 9 billion per unit, as of. 2009
(sauce ucsusa.org/nuclear-power/cost-nuclear-power#.V3dFJyMXbqA)

Provinces control their energy policy.

Compounded by people protesting about further work being done at the station.

>greenies complaining about nuclear power being unsafe blocking planned upgrades
>self fulfilling prophesy

>Wind is a good source of power that is truly renewable.
if only it worked for poor germany
they use over twice as much imported nuclear power from france than they do wind power
in fact they used more nuclear power than renewable power from all sources in 2015

watts barr 2 cost less than $5B

Hydroelectric dams are complete shit. It's like having a giant bomb waiting to explode on the retards who decided to live next to it. 171,000 people died from 1 dam collapse in China. How many people died from nuclear accidents?

>How many people died from nuclear accidents?

all together? *far* less than coal you fuckstick

the only issue with nuclear besides individual plants ignoring safety regulations is storing the waste until we can figure out how to reuse it, it's by far the safest best electrical generation we have even with all the disasters we've had

Retard. I was arguing in favor of nuclear energy. And why did you randomly bring up coal?

I've lived in Washington my whole life, and all we use is hydroelectric. I've never once have heard of an accident.

>china
Do they ever do anything right?
How about a first world country?

This is funny because Ontario is ~60% nuclear energy ever since coal was eliminated in 2014.

>Expect us to control your power
Stick it frenchie, we don't want your power.

>wind power
>giant fiber glass body with a generator inside that gets incredibly hot
>sitting next to a giant tub of oil
>so high and so remote that fire fighters can't put them out when they catch
>just sit back and watch them burn while hoping it doesn't spread
>blow themselves apart and shrapnel damages others in the area
>ice builds up on blades and ejects at velocities near 200mph
>need diesel fuel to power generators and heaters to blast the ice off the blades with hot water
>good

Wind power is the shittiest meme out there and it only exists because green subsidies are passed out by total suckers.
Solar power has a viable future. Wind does not.

>Retard. I was arguing in favor of nuclear energy.

in which case learn to string your sentences along and pad them out a bit to remove ambiguity

science fiction meme tier

Also you're missing
>Elder God tier: LFTR

>>Elder God tier: LFTR
the true meme tier
fusion will happen before muh thorium

Fusion has been a dream for decades and is still 'a ways off'

We could have LFTR in a decade, and that time is just to relearn and redesign the existing plans

>nuclear
>clean

but thorium isnt some sort of holy grail that its made out to be. fusion is

>clean doesn't mean carbon-free in the context of energy production

I am so glad actual technology threads are hapening again

bump

clean means no harmful byproducts.