Old tech

Remember using these things?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_coupe
youtube.com/watch?v=xH57yfZVb74
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Did you know a lot of bands these days put albums/EPs out on cassette tapes these days ?

I remember them getting jammed up in the tape deck and having to spend 20 minutes spinning the spool around with your finger.

I still do, they're great for the novelty, plus I found my old walkman recently.

I remember them sounding like shit because I had a copy of a copy of a copy.

Nostalgic faggots. Digital is the way to go, even though I like the "experience" of vinyl.

this gave me a huge wave of nostalgia

They sounded great with metal tape.

Some form of double diskettes?

>tfw lived in florida
>the 150 degree car interior temps wrecked your tapes
>they all went warbly as fuck when you played them

>that squeaking noise that you'd still hear no matter how loud you turned the volume up

>tfw dialup and aol
>tfw downloading the cookbook and phreaking txt files
>tfw you missed out on your chance to crush matchheads into a floppy disk and see if it'd do anything when the computer tried to read it

This was surprisingly soothing
I had a shitton of pirated cassettes, a local store sold them for a buck each

>using tapes for music
This is a tech board

who else old here

If you haven't owned one of this, then you've missed out, my dude.

40... on 4chin...

When did it all go wrong for you, gramps?

>borrow games from friends/family/library etc.
>make 1:1 copies using blank cassettes on a double-deck hifi

Shit son, those were the days of easy "piracy"

Nothing is wrong. Married, 2 children, owning a house and have a good job with much free time that I can use to shitpost.

I was still using a walkman around 2001-2002. Being poor sucked.

Had one ,don't know where the f*** it is now

You know that your kids peep dat /gif/ board, don't you?

I miss the times

that was poor kids gameboy right there
i remember having one of those tetris machines, and one small monochrome machine with small cartridges to change games that even had a few decent ones

Always wanted one of these (pic related)

They are just 4yo. I don't think they peep on /gif/.

Nice one.

What's this?

In fact, they are peeping at Bubble Bobble

Why?

If you have a method of playing tapes, then you also have a method of rewinding tapes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_coupe

The Sam Coupe was an 8-bit computer that was released too late. It had impressive performance for an 8-bit machine but the 16-bit era was already in full swing and made it stillborn upon launch.

If the reel ever came out.

The pain when you forget to feed your pet before going to bed, and it dies in the middle of the night... :(

You do it while other cassette is playing, silly

Rewinding wastes battery, if we're talking about battery-operated devices. You also assume that a rewinding mechanism never breaks.

I use a bluetooth cassette adapter to play music from my phone, in my car. Yes, this is a thing.

>Remember

I still use that shit nigga. They sound fine on a good deck through a nice stereo.

As a CPCfag i admit the Spectrum ZX music was great

I never once rewound a cassette with a pencil, so no, it never did break

this pencil thing isn't as popular as you'd think

When did I ever say that it was popular?

I had both but loved the C64's SID chip for sound. It was glorious.

youtube.com/watch?v=xH57yfZVb74

I remember using the cases to build stuff

and them my mom slapped me

I was using tapes up until a few years ago but my car's deck threw a belt and I still haven't bothered to fix it. Used to record albums from my computer onto tapes with my Akai deck for playing in the car.

I still have my Akai but I tried to run it recently and apparently one of its belts loosened to the point of uselessness. This thing is so beautiful that I think I will try to find the correct belt for it and pop it in.

damn man. that is fiiiiiiiiiine

Pencil?

yes

I haven't used actual cassettes in ages but I still use an adapter so i can play my MP3 player in my truck.

>using tapes for data storage
This isn't Africa

I never forgot

WHAT IS THIS XDDDDDDDDDDD

If you're 40 and here you might have had a life... Makes more sense being old here. Less of a waste. Not as tragic anyway.

It's not for rewinding the tape. Sometimes the tape gets chewed up in the mechanism of the cassette player, and the tape gets pulled off the reels as a result. The pencil is for winding the tape back onto the reels.

Nostalgia

Nobody in First World countries used cassettes with a computer after 1983.

You could at least have posted the first Xbox.

Bottomline is, bad trolling attempt.

Fuck I used to rewind all the time with a pencil when changing games, a few minutes with the pencil while the other game is loading off tape.

I don't think anyone did.

You know there are now people on this board who are 18+ and are born after 1999.

>only dolby b noise reduction
get something with dolby s

Dude, 1997 was 18 years ago.

Bongs used them until like 1992 for some reason.

Wrong.

>backup data tapes
>audio cassettes
back in the day, trolling meant something.jpg

Wtf guys, you both suck at math, people born in the first half of 99' are 17 now.

fuckin retard that's not for rewinding

Back in the day people could express themselves.
He didn't say audio cassettes, he said cassettes, cassette by definition is something with a magnetic tape inside.

underage b&

Same principle. Remember the time when you could Backup your while HDD on a single VHS?

Dude the fucking 360 is the previous generation of consoles, fuck off. How the fuck do you compare it to cassettes or vhs tapes?

I never bothered with any noise reduction. Was mainly listening to the tapes in the car so I surely couldn't notice a little background hiss over all the other noise. Really didn't find it bothersome even listening in the quiet of home either though.

God damn, that's nice.

>people will say tapes are shit
>some of these people will say vinyl is better

You'd se surprised, my sisters son grew up with a fucking Wii, PS3 and 360.
For him they will always be nostalgic crap.

I still use them, they offer much superior warm sound quality than their digital successors.

Warm sound? Yes, but they are lower quality than their digital successors.

The lack of detail, lesser bitrate, is the "warm sound" you are talking about.

>analog
>bit rate

As I said, detail, the bitrate was for analogy.
Only data tapes and cassettes have bitrate.

do we tell him ?

Yes, let's tell them all m8

>analog tapes don't store information
everybody look at this retard and laugh

I've been fucking around with computers/consoles since the age of 5.

So fuck all y'all.

You kids know shit.

You are both right and wrong.
Bitrate get's defined when converting analog to digital, the audio on the tape could be easily converted with a lower bitrate, but using a higher one you won't get more audio detail, but might capture more noise or nothing.

Speed of the tape, weight of the tape and magnetic density define what's the digital bitrate that can be converted onto the tape.

Me too, the first computers I can remember using.
ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, C64, Amiga500, Atari STE, all those fucking 8088 and 286 clones...

When I got older things like the Pentium and PowerPC came to the market.

Yes I do and I remember how shitty and unreliable they were, just like everything else in this thread.

You guys think this is a trolling attempt but you're doing the same shit with a different decade, and when you see the same being done for someone who's a teenager now, you lose your shit. In 5 more years, the 360/PS3/Wii will be considered "retro" and you'll see the words "classic" being used by people who are 15 in 2021 and have never played them before, are inheriting someone else's nostalgia, and saying something is great because it's old even though they've never played it before.

Which is exactly what you are doing right now for all this 80s garbage. Notice how all of the pictures of it are of the PC turned off... that's because none of this shit even works anymore and you're taking pictures of dead tech. In those 5 years the 15 year olds won't know about how the 360 had a 80% failure rate with RROD because it doesn't matter if it's dead or not because all you have to do is take pictures of dead consoles to fit in.

It is, and it's faster. And safer than shitty players [that either stretch tape or spill the guts out]

Actually tapes were common for home computing and gaming, especially in the UK and 'Stralia, right into the early nineties!

>In 5 more years
No, about 10+ years faggot.

For a fact, a 8/16 bit computer or console and early 32 bit ones will outlast a 360 easily, still being 20 years older.

Old surface mount components and parts are way harder to fail, they don't even get hot.

>analog
>lack of detail, lesser bitrate
You are a very special kind of stupid.

Here's your (You).

See

Nope, not even my post. Try harder.

I know it's not your post, you ain't smart enaught.

“bits” are a perfectly valid unit of information and can be applied to every context that deals with information, especially in the context of signal processing.

For example, analog tapes have a well-understood dynamic range (also measured in bits) and frequency response, so you can very easily equate them to an equivalent digital (PCM) signal and estimate the bitrate of that.

>Bitrate get's defined when converting analog to digital
This is grossly oversimplifying things. “bits” aren't somehow magically tied to digital signal processing. You're not thinking abstract enough, you're just looking at the surface of things.

Think about the analog signal and the digital signal just as waveforms. Don't worry about the exact encoding. At the end of the day, they both just encode a signal. You can do useful measurements (in bits or otherwise) on this signal regardless of the encoding.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Don't amazon and google store data on tape because its cheaper?