/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>Samsung Galaxy Note 7 renders leaked in three different colors
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_7_renders_leaked_in_three_different_colors-news-19166.php

>Xiaomi Mi Note 2 said to come with dual 12MP rear cameras, 4,000mAh battery
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_note_2_said_to_come_with_dual_12mp_rear_cameras_4000mah_battery-news-19148.php

>BlackBerry allegedly working on 3 new Android smartphones
androidauthority.com/blackberry-3-android-phones-701179/

>LG gives execs the boot and restructures mobile division following disappointing G5 sales
androidpolice.com/2016/07/01/lg-gives-execs-boot-restructures-mobile-division-following-disappointing-g5-sales/

>ZTE Employee Hints at Unlocked Bootloader on Axon 7
xda-developers.com/recent-discussion-on-the-zte-forums-shows-promising-future-for-axon-7-users/#

>5.5-inch HTC Nexus phone codenamed Marlin has its specs leaked
gsmarena.com/55inch_htc_nexus_phone_codenamed_marlin_has_its_specs_leaked-news-19141.php

>Sony Xperia X Performance review: $700 worth of disappointment
engadget.com/2016/07/01/sony-xperia-x-performance-review/

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2011&nRamMin=1500&chkCardSlot=selected&fDisplayInchesMin=3.4&fDisplayInchesMax=5&nCamPrimMin=12&chkNFC=selected&s4Gs=12&sOSes=2
gsmarena.com/htc_one_m9-6891.php
gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=1&idPhone1=6891&idPhone2=7576&idPhone3=6074
anandtech.com/show/9102/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-1/3
xda-developers.com/oneplus-3-dash-charging-explained-coming-to-your-custom-rom-sometime-after-july/
airdroid.com/apk/help/2.0/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was. I can send a email to myself from an alternate account, it shows up on my desktop client in seconds, but can take minutes to show up on an application. I honestly feel like there's some kind of play services or google syncing error I have.

K-9 works pretty great but it just feels clunky. It doesn't handle mails with pre-made folders like Gmail very well.

Why aren't there any 16:10, 5-5.2" smartphones?

So will the S8 actually have a 4k screen?

this is now a cigo thread hello cigo

>blackberry not making another high-end slider
the one phone i was looking forward to
ffs

Convince me not to get an iPhone SE

>fastest phone money will buy
>longest battery life
>great camera
>software updates forever

$500 (64GB) isn't exactly cheap anymore, in the age of ChinkPhones and SharkCards, but it's a lot easier to swallow than full 'flagship' prices, which seem totally divorced from what these things cost to produce.

It's a locked down brick with the same screen size as your penis when fully erect.

hello cigo

Good deal as a backup beater phone?

>>longest battery life

xd

excellent work

I'm sure you could find cheaper phones for that price, like those Amazon adshit phones, that ZTE boost one, or an old motorola for >140.

If you've already got a decent driver phone, you shouldn't need an older nexus.

America - T-Mobile. I may switch later but for now thats whats up.

I've been using my Moto E (1st gen) for awhile and while it was OK when I rarely used my phone, it is showing its age. The touch screen is inaccurate and the phone randomly shuts off from time to time. I'd like to keep my next phone for the next 3-5 years so picking the right one is worth thinking about.

What I'm looking for:
-Android
-4.7-5.0 inch screen
-Support for T-Mobile band12 (building penetration)
-Newer than 2014 (power, battery life, tech, and band12 support as above)
-SD card support would be really nice
-NFC would be nice
-Best camera you can get for the money:

$150-$250

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 active off ebay for the active button, quick camera loading, good quality camera etc. I never got it unlocked but the seller was cool about the return so w/e. I can get one off swappa or ebay unlocked for roughly $250~. The phone doesnt support SD cards though so I'm taking the time to re-evaluate and hopefully find something similar but with SD card support.

Even at 5.1 inches the phone felt a bit big, I'd like to be able to run with it in my pocket.

Aren't Moto Es dirt cheap now? Get one of those. Or just don't be a clumsy fuck and break your phone.

gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2011&nRamMin=1500&chkCardSlot=selected&fDisplayInchesMin=3.4&fDisplayInchesMax=5&nCamPrimMin=12&chkNFC=selected&s4Gs=12&sOSes=2
On GSMArena all I can find for those screen sizes are some sony phones, and the HTC m9 and A9 among a few others. Small screen sizes are pretty uncommon, and I'll warn you that the older HTC phones don't have a great camera.

>LG G4 still has no bootloader unlock on most models

Good lord, I dodged a bullet on that one. Imagine if I chose to buy a G4 instead of the oneplus one back in 2015. It's scary just to think about.

I have no idea what to upgrade from this thing to, before it bricks. Every phone is either expensive, chinkshit, or expensive chinkshit.

Oh yeah, forgot about that too.

What a piece of shit the G4 is. Shame, it had a decent camera and nice industrial design + remov. bat.

Anyway, I recommend waiting for Sailfish/Marlin if you can.

But I need that microSD. I'll wait to see them released before considering them.

Talk me out of getting a HTC10 or OP3, since apparently it's gotten some fixes.

OP3 is decent since the sRGB update but it doesn't have an mSD slight, friendo.

The HTC 10 is good, but it's overpriced af right now (HTC are delusional and like to think their brand commands the same premium as Samsung/Apple).

HTC One M9

gsmarena.com/htc_one_m9-6891.php
>Released 2015, March
>LTE band 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 7(2600), 12(700), 17(700) - T-Mobile
>Screen Size: 5.0 inches (~68.4% screen-to-body ratio)
>Resolution: 1080 x 1920 pixels (~441 ppi pixel density)
>microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
>NFC: Yes
>Price: Pic Related

Camera quality:
gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=1&idPhone1=6891&idPhone2=7576&idPhone3=6074

I'd look for one on ebay bruh, plenty to be found for tmobile at that price.

Yeah, but at least you can get the OP3's 64GB without spending 550 like a fucking nexus 6p and its retarded huge screen. At least there's type-C mSD readers.

And yeah, HTC10 is overpriced as shit but hopefully they'll go down in price especially used soon. 500 new would be pretty reasonable for it.

If I've been mostly okay with a 32GB phone with no SD, am I fine with 64GB?

>overheating 810 shit
>shit display
>shit camera
>overpriced

no. The HTC One M8 is literally a superior device in every way and can be had for $200 or less. It also supports band 12.

What kind of question is that? You're the one who knows your storage needs, not us.

explain how the m9's screen is shit. i'll give you 810, but everything else you've said sounds like bias bullshit.

64 should honestly be the default, with the price of a 32GB if you're going to forgo a fucking mSD slot. Manufacturers are just jewing you into using their cloud shit as they pack 2GB of bloatware onto your phone that already uses 1/6th of the 32GB for system data.

1st gen Moto X senpai, no bloat here :^)
unless you count the god-tier ambient display as bloat, is there any good replacement for that?

What is the number one budget phone for under $80?

anandtech.com/show/9102/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-1/3

It's trash.

Considered a Moto X Pure, but I dunno if I trust Lenovo. Heard a lot about their shitty quality control. Hard to find a good powerful phone these days that is unlocked, works on most networks, and isn't overpriced.

oh, so it's just a bunch of shit the average user will literally never notice? i'd understand if you were buying this for it's original retail price, but you're not. it's worth 200-250 now.

Disregarding costs and storage, how does the OP3 compare with Galaxy S7?

>Sup Forums
>the average user

Fuck off. Also, a mediocre calibration won't bother the average user. However the M9 is beyond mediocre, it's absolutely horrific. Even the dumbest normies will see what a shit display, by just the pathetic color temperature alone.

>f/2.0
>2016

What were OP thinking?

we're not all fucking art/video/photography majors who need the absolute most accurate fucking contrast and black levels. the fucking guy is asking for a recommendation for a fucking 250 dollar range phone, and the m8's screen isn't that fucking good either in comparison. you're a faggot.

>dash charge tm doesn't work on any other roms

what are the good apps?

>we're not all fucking art/video/photography majors who need the absolute most accurate fucking contrast and black levels.

Stopped reading right there. Fuck off to the youtube comment section with your thought-terminating platitudes.

>the m8's screen isn't that fucking good either in comparison

It's significantly better, retard. The M8 also has a better SoC, better speakers (yep that's right, they downgraded the speakers in the M9 too) and far better battery life.

Kill yourself and don't post in /spg/ again.

Is there really no option for a poorfag Canadian?

thoughts on the galaxy a5?
how is it with resurection remix? any tips to save batery?

it's fucking dumb, i know, but you have to admit their end product is always enticing for the price.

but for a company who's motto is "never settle" there's literally always something that you need to compromise on.

>oneplus one
>no sd
>oneplus 2
>no fucking nfc
>oneplus x
>micro sd! but no fast charge, or nfc
>oneplus 3
>dash charge!*
>no micro sd
>dash charge only works with proprietary cable and charger
>dash charge only works with oxygen OS

it's always something.

>stopped reading right there
>keeps reading

no. you're a faggot.

they're making the dash charge API available later on

Any idea how long? By that point I'm probably going to sell for phone cash.

xda-developers.com/oneplus-3-dash-charging-explained-coming-to-your-custom-rom-sometime-after-july/

"Some time after July".

So probably 2-3 months. That's about how long it'll take for stable AOSPA MM builds anyway.

Interesting. Hopefully they don't fuck it up, since I'd much prefer to use a custom rom for a phone like that.

They already released device tree and kernel source, so the ROM scene for OP3 should be just as good as the OPO (far better than the OP2's sad scene).

It even has ElementalX kernel support, one of the best custom kernels around (previously only on HTC and Nexus devices).

Yeah, Lenovo getting a hold of Motorola was the worst news I've heard in tech.

>not buying an OP3
lmao

Give me five reasons to pick it over the Priv

Are there any Xiaomi Redmi 3s (Pro) reviews out yet? Can't find any in non Asian languages.

every company does this bud
>galaxy s5
sd card
>galaxy s6
no sd card
added IR blaster
>galaxy s7
sd card
removed ir blaster

and that's just a tiny example on the top of my head, there are obv more specs to note that I couldn't be bothered rn, my point is everyone does it so I wouldn't sorry blame oneplus for it

fuck that. i absolutely blame oneplus for it.

no one would mind shelling out 450+ for this exact same phone with a micro sd slot and all the specs already on it. 500+ for a non shit screen and DAC. they have the capability, they just choose to cut corners.

oneplus could be a fucking flagship company, keep their "flagship killer" low price phones, whilst also having it's own like of premium phones that stick with the unlocked bootloader philosophy, and they would make a fucking buttload off people of every budget. that's their own fault.

>decent camera
It still beats the HTC 10, iPhone 6s and the S6

Is there anything like iMessage on android now that lets me send texts from a PC and a Mac? I want to get away from this fucking thing but iMessage is the only thing keeping me in their walled garden.

>1080p pentile on 5.5"
>2016

lmao

Better camera
Better GPU
Significantly lighter
Prettier (subjective)
x2 more RAM
Dash charge
USB type-c
Super Amoled vs Amoled
Significantly more expensive for an inferior product

Nice meme reddit.

United States
AT&T
$400
Physical keyboard
Capacitive buttons
Made within the last two years
No more than 5.5"

We get it, you're retarded, why do you ask us to convince you when you're already set to buy that piece of crap? Fuck off

>Is there anything like iMessage on android now that lets me send texts from a PC and a Mac

nope

nothing as clean as imessage

shame they dont just release an imessage app for android

Airdroid maybe. You basically tether your phone through a network connection and it allows you to control several of its functions, the most useful one in my opinion being sending and receiving texts.

hm, that looks like it could work. Probably won't work over my enterprise network at work though. I'll have to look into how it functions.

airdroid.com/apk/help/2.0/index.html

You can use a USB cable to tether directly to the computer as well.

>pentile apologist

Doesn't get any more reddit than this. Hell you're not even reddit, you're Facebook.

>no you
Nice argument.

Telegram?

>tfw no android phone with nokia lumia hardware
life sucks

dont you have to have an account for that? i need something i can talk to nomies with.

>Falling for the meme

Anyone else tried out Gboard on iOS?
It's quite brilliant when you forget it's literally handing personal info over with every keystroke.

HTC 10 64gb. Is it a rumour, or only available in certain regions? Can't seem to get it anywhere.

I want a z5 compact and I can get one for a good price. Is the 810 in it really that bad?

>ordered galaxy s7
>gonna arrive on Monday by DPD

Now to find somewhere to sell my old phone.

Why is there no sandstone back on the OP3

>DPD
Fuckin hate these assholes.

How come?
In the UK, they're the best couriers available.
Live tracking of the van via google maps, so you know if you can go have a shit or not.

But there is, user. You can buy the original OnePlus™ Sandstone™ backcover for only 29.99$

Live tracking is nice, indeed, but the drivers are complete assholes. At least in my region.

Is the zenfone 2 a good deal at 195 euro?

enjoy your nonexistent battery :/

I thought the Exynos version had better battery?

Also anything is better than the 2 hour screen time I get on my One M8.

convince me that Xiaomi Mi4c isn't the best 5" phone and the one most worth buying right now

Thoughts on the umi super?

/thread for apple fanboys

I need to buy a phone for my mother.

So far I've been looking into Moto X (2nd gen), sony Xperia M4 aqua (both 209 euros) and Motorola moto G (3rd gen) 159 euros.

Leaning towards Sony since it has better battery than Moto X.

Which one would you recommend? And I live in Eastern Europe, so nor crazy Amazon, ebay or newegg deals.

He's being retarded. S7 Exynos has godly battery life.

Through about the Motorola X Play?
The battery seems to be its forte but what about the rest?

or at least confirm it for me
pls

I've also considered Nexus 5x (waaay more expensive) and Redmeme 3 Pro (a bit shittier specs tho cheaper)

Looking at the Axon Pro.
Opinions.

Where are you located? If you're in the US just avoid chinkphones unless you don't need reliable mobile data.

Does V4A do anything if you only install the audio driver and enable it, without touching the equalizers or any of the other settings?

picture unrelated - I'm posting it just to make this post slightly more visible

How many phones do you really need?

One per pocket.

If you're a normal person, one should be more than enough.

I use one of my older android phones as a music player, it lasts almost a whole week with my usage, and a redmi 3 as my main.

What's the best keyboard for Android or iOS? Is typing better than swiping for efficiency? Help a total smartphone newfag out. Thanks.

Are there any current phones with 16:10 ratio displays?

From UK
Currently with Three
Upgrade this month but already got a Galaxy Note 4.
Can't be iPhone because I'm a Samsung fan-boy and the S7 is too much £pm.
Any advice on what phone can I upgraded too from a Note 4?

How much are you looking to pay?
Cause Three do £30 a month, no upfront cost for 1gb of data for an S7 on new contracts.

Try phoning them when your upgrade is due and ask what the best upgrade you can get is, then say you can get it cheaper elsewhere and they should put you through to retentions who can nearly always match other deals.