/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Passive noise isolation ≠ Active noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/neutralizing-my-hd800.1586/
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003LPTAYI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467468133&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=headphones over ear&dpPl=1&dpID=41EOdcYqT3L&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

eat shit, consumerist whore

How good is Klipsch?

Best earpad replacements for MDRV6?

Hopefully not ones that cost over $30

hey are superlux hd681's still best value for the price?

you have extreme autism

Well if your amplifier does something else than increase the power of the signal with audible effects, it's a shitty amplifier.

He's not wrong

Anything better than Bose QC25 for ANC and above-average comfort during prolonged sessions (3-4 hours) in the 200-350 range?

without*

I bet he is the same user who likes to shitpost that same thing to every other /hpg/. It's the Sup Forums mentality where every discussion which includes products is "consumerism" and thus bad. Frankly it's retarded. We discuss technology for audio reproduction but mostly headphones. A lot of the posts do revolve around products because people want to know what to buy - a common thing in all of technology. The thread helps with the catalog clutter and collects most of these questions into one thread with a simple template for asking purchase advice to make it more focused.

This is not a board for Sup Forums either. We don't discuss music as an artfrom here. Hell we barely discuss music and audio is not just for music.

hello

never really got a proper answer for this, so reposting:

merge, 3 different audio sources,

equalise the combined sources all at the same time
[cant do this with my pc]

didnt copy paste properly
fixed version:

Im shit with audio, could you guys give me the names of the equipent i'd need to do the following:

merge, 3 different audio sources,

equalise the combined sources all at the same time
[cant do this with my pc]

Hardly ever is there discussion of music in these threads apart from shitting on someone's album(s) of choice in their chart.

Best headphone (preferably bluetooth) onwhich i can enjoy Avril Lavignes perfect voice in her songs?,? Budget is 70$

>Budget
$200 USD flexible
>Location
Japan
>Source
PC
>Preferred type of headphone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed preferable
>Comfort level
Highest Possible but not priority
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
None worth mentioning

Should I get the Shure se535 red edition? Shure comfort is perfect for me, I dont want to take risks with some other maker unless you fämälämäzoids can suggest something nice in the 3-500€ range.

Currently using se425, not sure if its the cable or the earpiece input thats fucking up. So full of earcum that these probably need to be burned.

Pic is gunk squeezed out of my Shures.

AKG K550 or K553 pro if you can find a pair

Faggot OP creating new thread before old thread even hits bump limit.

i'll look around and if i can't i will probably purchase an mrd-1a. not sure tho.

I think it is the same faggot from the previous thread as well. At least he doesn't appear to be the same faggot that was trying to push his "belgian" bullshit.

Just looking for some all around alright headphones.
>Budget
~$200
>Location
US
>Source
PC, no amp
>Type
Full over ear
>o/c
Open
>Comfort
High, but wiling to skimp for price
>Balance
Neutral
>Past
None

Thanks for spoonfeeding me fellas, keep up the great generals. Too bad you ran out of anime pictures for this op.

Thoughts on the DIY resonator for the HD800?

user maybe you should try cleaning your ears? Periodically? Nasty

I don't see the purpose when PEQ exists. You can get better results with proper use of equalization and no need to tinker around carefully with modifications which aren't fully reversible.

Isn't the 6k peak caused by reflections and not a driver trait?

Clean your ears man. Anyway, after owning the 846 In wouldn't bother with any Shure again. Great isolation but awfully fake sounding.

I'm not knowledgeable to know the exact cause but that's irrelevant. You effectively fix it with EQ.

Actually, right now there's a 20% sale at Noble audio, get one of their universals. If you want ultimate comfort, get customs.

HD558/598 or K612 and maybe E10k.

>Too bad you ran out of anime pictures for this op.
Someone can just go to and slap /hpg/ onto it.

you have autism

No, I have a worry that without a clearly set border before creating a new thread is not observed we'll have a "race to the bottom" situation where we see one thread started a couple of posts before bump limit. The next thread created ten posts before bump limit. That leads to the next new thread started a couple of dozen posts short of bump limit. And it just continues to degenerate.

Now that you've had the reason explained stop being a faggot that tosses out the term "autism" like it has any effect or meaning.

>Budget
60eur non-flexible
>Location
EU / Greece
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort
Maximum, but not really a must, I know my budget is really low.
>Past Headphones
Razer Kraken 7.1

>Budget
50-100€, more if i can get something that will last a long time.
>Location
Finland
>Source
LG G3/various laptops/future phone (mobile devices in general
Anything that is socially acceptable to wear in public/outside
>Open or closed
Closed i guess
>Comfort level
I have to be able to wear them for at least 3 hours at a time
>Preferred tonal balance
dunno lol
>Past headphones
Some 100€ish beyerdynamic IEMs, cant remeber the model, shit earbuds that came with my phone, akg k550

you have autism

>but that's irrelevant
Tyll uses EQ on his HD800 to increase bass, so it has to at least be somewhat relevant if he feels the need to mod them instead of just taking out the peak with EQ.

You have too much wax in your ears. GTFO /hpg/.

you have autism

kind of ironic how a consumerist whore showed up 5 minutes after this post

tyll doesn't know how to EQ. he has already demonstrated that several times.

I guess an even humorous, and appropriate for the thread, attack will not register.

Are you posting merely to see yourself post online because it certainly isn't to carry on anything that even remotely similar to a conversation. You have one narrative and repeat it with every response regardless of its veracity, validity, or relevance.

> people unironically spend more than 1000€ for a headphone like this

A U T I S M
U
T
I
S
M

>Budget
$250-$320 AU
>Location
Australia
>Source
PC
Headphones
>Open or closed
Either not fussed
>Comfort level
Comfy level 7/10 at least
>Preferred tonal balance
No idea
>Past headphones
None

Is is possible to have them good for vidya too? I want a good balance of music and games.

depends what vidya you play

if its fps and you need good directional sound then make sure to get open back, due to having a better soundstage then closed back

What state? Do you live in the city and able to audition in a headphone shop?

I play a bit of everything desu. No competitive FPS though.

QLD and yes.

Kind of got me interested and did some basic research and came across this
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/neutralizing-my-hd800.1586/
Seems like a better alternative to opening up $1000 headphones and sticking in a buttplug.

then really dont take vidya into consideration

tho you should be buying open back anyway

Last week, I bought a pair of factory refurbished B&W P5 Wireds as kind of a test to see if I want the P7s because a bunch of magazines say they're the best shit ever. Goddamn things look like they were run over by a truck and sound worse than that. Their tech support said that I need a higher-quality source, but even FLAC and CD audio sound terrible. They can shove those P5s and the P7s I was considering right up their asses sideways.

you can find akg k712 for 320 on ebay

or hd598

By higher quality source they likely mean you shouldn't play them from your phone or motherboard.

Is there a point to having a headphone apmlifier if i usually have a low volume anyway?

Most position related variance is the fault of reflections, and headphones have plenty of it. The positional variance is what you want to eliminate; a tuning mechanism that only reduces 6 kHz doesn't solve the problem, which the resonator doesn't do.
Whatever the source, as long as it is constant, it can EQ'ed out.

The Anax mods barely work, and they don't appear to be helping the peak at all on that graph. Data indicates a limited contribution of effect from the enclosure, but the information is not in total agreement.
As to what variance shows up on Tyll's graphs, there's some inherent vagueness there. Standard procedure, which Tyll follows, is to measure the with cup at center, above, below, left, and right of the ear. The HD800 has very large cups, so the position distances involved in measurement may be greater than the variation typically experienced. I might have something to show that.

An audio mixer with an EQ?

Philips Fidelio X2, though I think they might be over budget a bit. Don't know what headphones cost in Australia.

Yeah, I know. First they blamed low-bitrate MP3s and Youtube. I've plugged them into three receivers (two Yamaha and a Technics), a old Discman, a Behringer headphone amp with my Technics turntable, and they've all sounded like shit. Not just bad, absolutely terrible. Especially considering that they say an iPhone will drive them fine. The impedance is only 32 Ω and my 60 Ω Senns sound good with those sources.

Somehow, headphone users seem to think that high impedance loads are more difficult. I don't know how that happened.
Reviews are less than reliable, and are rather infamous for being bad at audio and lacking the ability to evaluate critically. The audio press is known for being soft on the manufacturers; how else do you think we get stuff like Brilliant Pebbles?

The B&W P5 is not so good, and P7 is only OK. The P5 doesn't even sound that much like the P7.

Impedance buffer, and not much else. If you play around with gain, you might be able to do something about residual noise.

Auray Sheep Skin Pads.

Which sennheisers?

If poeple here talked more about music, yes, talking more about headphones however makes this thread very Sup Forums. What's next, monitors go on Sup Forums or Sup Forums and keyboards on /lit/?

HD 570.

Best 25 dollar headphones in the world
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003LPTAYI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467468133&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=headphones over ear&dpPl=1&dpID=41EOdcYqT3L&ref=plSrch

You shouldn't take his words for granted. He likes to tinker and I get the interest in DIY stuff in general. In the case that you actually want to fix the problem effectively here, PEQ does everything that the mods do and better. It's much more powerful tool than damping and especially effective with headphones. Only reason I'd consider modding would be in a scenario where I couldn't be able to use PEQ. That isn't a realistic scenario imo.

No. TH02+HM5pads is best starter headphone.

Nope.
HD662 EVO is currently the best SL headphone.
Modding it takes 15 mins and some toilet paper. No kidding. Look it up.
It blows a lot of premium headphones out of the water.

shieet, not that user, but i've got a set of superlux 668Bs currently being shipped to me

:(

Anyone got a response of the coupler Tyll uses? Those plots look a bit off from most HD 800 measurements.

>Their tech support said that I need a higher-quality source
I bet they think that helps with the looks too. P5 is very prone to bass leakage and its sound signature can differ greatly from one individual to another or just simply when fitting them on various of times.

They work fine from those.

Noise and impedance buffer like said. Noise is likely not a problem for you if you are playing on low volumes anyway. You might sleep better at nights knowing your gear is good.

>I don't know how that happened.
I'd say marketing and terrible spec sheets which advertise devices being able to "drive up to 300 Ohms" had an effect on it. Easier to create a buzzword than explain how things actually work. Effective in sales.

The response isn't all that nice. Square waves are useless as ever there. "Gentle slope" for an "ideal response" is not a -10 to -15 dB drop from 1 kHz to 5 kHz.

Anyone know if the Sennheiser HD 451 are a good deal for 40 euro?

Auray Sheepskins or DT250 pads are popular options.

>RE: Positional variance
A set of graphs, left is magnitude, right is group delay. HD 800 is the one label "a".
Shows good frequency and phase stability compared to the two headphones in the test, (Stax Lambda is "b" and HD 650 is "c").
As a bit of a side note, for whatever reason the Lambda doesn't show off its usual leak issues in the magnitude plots, but you get the usual phase shift/group delay variation associated with the leak susceptibility.

>Anyone got a response of the coupler Tyll uses?
Not sure what you mean. Tyll's head has short canals, raising the first canal resonance to around 3.5-4 kHz, when it ought to be closer to 2.7-3.0 kHz.
>Those plots look a bit off from most HD 800 measurements.
Besides the canal issue, it doesn't seem too out of line from quick inspection, compared to the one at Soundstage! or GoldenEars.

The square waves aren't helpful. They only tell less information than the usual frequency domain plots.

Auray Sheepskins or DT250 pads are popular options.

>RE: Positional variance
A set of graphs, left is magnitude, right is group delay. HD 800 is the one label "a".
Shows good frequency and phase stability compared to the two headphones in the test, (Stax Lambda is "b" and HD 650 is "c").
As a bit of a side note, for whatever reason the Lambda doesn't show off its usual leak issues in the magnitude plots, but you get the usual phase shift/group delay variation associated with the leak susceptibility.

>Anyone got a response of the coupler Tyll uses?
Not sure what you mean. Tyll's head has short canals, raising the first canal resonance to around 3.5-4 kHz, when it ought to be closer to 2.7-3.0 kHz.
>Those plots look a bit off from most HD 800 measurements.
Besides the canal issue, it doesn't seem too out of line from quick inspection, compared to the one at Soundstage! or GoldenEars.

The square waves aren't helpful. They only tell less information than the usual frequency domain plots.

bang

>have AKG 242HD, gr8 for gaming and what grados can't do rite
>have Grado Sr80i
>buy pic related
>drown in my own cum
>start looking at Grado and AKG with disdain
At least grado does SOME metal rite...

Any IEM recs that will make me cum again? Just mention them, I'll figure out how to get them some day.

Already set on RHA 750 for next purchase, though.

Just ordered Fiio E10k and AKG K702s, how badly did I fuck up? (was 180 britbongs since the pound is tanking).

you did very good

You didn't fuck up, that's the standard price and that was also my first ever real headphone and amp, nice set up mayne. I hope you don't love bass though ;)

Welcome to the club man!

Just bought me a pair of k7xx's off of massdrop (every review i looked up online told that they're breddy gud if you happen to like bass which i do, also i couldn't fnd why does /hpg/ hate them with such a passion), but i'm very new to this stuff.
What kind of dac and/or amp would go well with them. i plan on using them with my computer and my phone if that matters.
Oh and i would like to use them for gayming as well like strapping on a modmic or similar, but will the mic pick up the sound from the headphones since they're open back?

who is your waifu

Satellite from freezing

sweet
thanks man

Nice taste friendo :)

Is there any AUDIBLE upgrade from a FiiO E10?

By upgrade I mean a more objectively accurate sound.

the o2 amp gets a TINY bit more out of the sound but it costs a more, if you want a dac as well (which you will than it costs a LOT more. I used to own the e10k and I now own the o2 amp. Honestly I wouldn't bother. get better headphones first if you want an improvement.

What are some good speakers I can buy right now? After having my bad plastic speakers break on me, I've decided that I need an upgrade.

Yamaha HS8

/hpg/ is more focused (or obsessed) with a neutral response than other places.
Pairings don't exist, but constraints such as price and form factor do.
You may not find yourself needing the amplifier.

It gets louder.
Zout can be lower.
That's about it.

Something under $200 please.

Noise can be better as well.

Budget is the first thing you're supposed to tell us. The next is location and such.

Okay here:

>Budget

Under $200

>Location
USA

>Source
PC

>Preferred tonal balance
neutral

If you do happen to upgrade your E10 can you please update us what's the difference in sound quality. I also have a E10.

do you have IEMs as well?

k7xx do not need an amplifier.

I think k7xx are especially heresy for owners of other akg headets, but since the frequency mids, tight bass, clear mids, and general akg sound are all gone. but maybe people that hate akg will like them.

Yeah the piston 3's and the KZ ed9's which are slightly better imo, they're cheaper as well on ali express. They're good enough for me, iem's are just something to casually listen to whilst travelling so spending a lot of money on them is stupid imo.

Mate buy an e10k, it's fairly cheap and it's all you need for those headphones, it will be slightly better than using no amp despite what some people on here will say.

nice, that makes sense

I walk around with ear penises, and it's a little weird because I feel completely disconnected from the outside world despite walking straight through it.

>I walk around with ear penises
wot

A pair of Infinity P153 bookshelves, and cheap amp/receiver to power it.
Used market has more options, passive or powered speakers.

Nothing needs an amplifier. Except for when it does. But sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does.

The sweeping yes/no doesn't work well.
There is going to be variation in the use cases, in the listener, the choice of music, and the electronics.

>and cheap amp-reciever to power it.

Such as? Never bought an amp before desu.

I just came to say that I just bought the Sennheiser HD201 to upgrade from Philips SHP2000 and I AM DISAPPOINTED.

They are barely more comfortable and the bass is far worse, worst 40 dollars ever spent.

I fell for the Sennheiser meme ladies and gentlemen.

>I fell for the Sennheiser meme ladies and gentlemen.

No, you fell for the any headphone under $200 is good meme.