Jesus christ. can someone please point me in the right direction for installing/getting steam to work on antergos/arch

jesus christ. can someone please point me in the right direction for installing/getting steam to work on antergos/arch.

ive read a bunch of pages on google and tried the arch wiki. nothing seems to be working.

I have a dell inspiron 13 7352 with intel hd 5500 graphics.

any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Possible_symptoms
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Deleting_the_runtime_libraries
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Steam_runtime_issues
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install Ubuntu

i actually came from ubuntu. wanted to try arch out and i have to say. besides steam not working. everything else works flawlessly. all my multimedia keys, wifi, trackpad, suspend, etc. also really loving kde after trying gnome

>halp
>it broken
good luch

from what i understand, its not an arch problem. its a steam problem. something with the libraries that are installed by default. i have tried the following from the wiki.

Steam is not supported on this distribution. As such some fixes are needed on the users part to get things functioning properly:

Steam makes heavy usage of the Arial font. A decent Arial font to use is ttf-liberation or the fonts provided by Steam. Asian languages require wqy-zenhei to display properly.

If you have a 64-bit system, you must install the 32-bit Multilib version of your graphics driver.

If you have a 64-bit system, you will need to install lib32-alsa-plugins to enable sound.

If you have a 64-bit system, you will need to install lib32-curl to enable update at first run.

Several games have dependencies which may be missing from your system. If a game fails to launch (often without error messages) then make sure all of the libraries listed in Steam/Game-specific troubleshooting are installed.

>Still no description of the problem

The Arch community needs less people like you. Go back to Ubuntu.

last time I was using arch was about 1 year ago, but I don't remember any problems installing steam

you just pacman -S steam and then install arial fonts if I recall correctly, everything should werk

i assumed it was common knowledge that steam doesnt run well on arch. im having the same problem as everyone else but none of their solutions work for me.

pic related is the output when i try to start steam

>i assumed it was common knowledge that steam doesnt run well on arch.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Possible_symptoms

funny thing is. when you install antergos it gives you the option to install steam and playonlinux. i tried that first and it didnt work. since then ive reinstalled antergos for a different reason and just manually installed steam. it still doesnt work

try reintalling the graphics driver, werked for me

Run this command and then re-launch, I suggest adding an alias for it since you'll have to do it again when Steam updates occasionally:

find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" -o -name "libgpg-error.so*" \) -print -delete

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Deleting_the_runtime_libraries

Fucking know steam runtime problem. Learn to google.

Don't be such a dick, dude.

But in all seriousness OP, the Arch Wiki has information on all of this.

First, fucking use the wiki. I use Arch and 95% of all the shit you need to know is on the wiki and the other 5% is on the BB.

Next, since Arch is #hurrbleedingedge, it frequently uses video libraries for games that do not work on Steam, which updates these less frequently. Usually you can just delete the conflicting ones and Steam will download the ones it needs automatically. At least from my experience.

ok OP here.

Just deleted the runtime libraries and i got a little further. the steam update window actually launched and updated but it crashed again giving me this

ok finally got it to run.

thanks Sup Forumsuys.

good now go play your gaeemz onn da lenucks

>This thread

Oh this thread gave me laugh I needed to start my day right. Never change op, people like are a source of such joy in my life.

This should never be a problem in the first place.1

This. I had more issues with my graphics drivers than anything else.

Install Gentoo

Why the fuck doesn't it ' just werk'???

Fuck Linux for shit like this.

>Playing games on Linux
Don't be silly OP.

You need a bigger clock...

Because steam is meant for Ubuntu?

It's all Linux. And if it isn't we now know exactly why nobody uses your 600 plus distros

Use Windows you fucking loser.

It's like prajeets are not even trying these days

No one uses Linux to play steam, manchild

It should all work dumbass. Not just steam...ALL OF IT. Every distro.

Arch doesn't even maintain steam you mouthbreating fucktard, and the source is closed so they don't know how it's going to work with the latest vanilla packages . Don't post stupid shit if you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about

For me I just have to launch it with :
LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' steam

Cos your dumb. It doesn't take half a brain to solve this sorts of things in a flash.

Doesn't matter. It should just work.

If it's not compatable with other common Linux software then it's broken. You're making excuses for broken shit

why do you come here with your personal problems you retard? read the wiki and get the fuck out of here

Are you fucking brain dead or just need mental help? It it's not compatible with common Linux software, Valve is the one at fault since they are maintaining it, massive idiot

You stupid fuck, the answer is literally on the arch wiki in plain sight If you had googled arch linux steam and then copy pasted the error message, that probably would have been the first result. I came across this myself recently, and the fix described in the wiki works perfectly.

Steam is only supported and tested on Debian and Ubuntu and will break regularly on most other distributions.

>its a steam problem. something with the libraries that are installed by default
Shocking that Valve doesn't want to have to upgrade Steam's dependencies every other day for a niche distro on a niche platform.

> It's all Linux

Library dependency versions matter. Surprising I know.

Try the steam-manjaro package from AUR. Works on, well, Manjaro.

steam is a big pile of shit anyway
you can't even search normally, have to use 3rd party sites
it's probably based on chromium as well

Windows and osx don't have this problem. Dumbass

Windows and OS X libraries don't break backwards compatibility every other version. A lot of Linux libraries do.

So Linux is a disorganized and broken mess with too many and confusing distros?

This is tolerated why exactly?

>steam
>on linux
Just because richardo stallmanu thinks games are art that doesn't mean you should use a mega proprietary blob for your games.

Spouting memes about Linux being the Panacea of Modern Computing.

>I am a gaymen kiddie that's probably underage.
>I gayme on this craptop my parents bough me and decided to try Linux
>I found this epik l33t distro called Arch but my attention span and focusing skills are of a 6 year old child so I must go with Antergos
>now I need muh Steam but shit typing steam into the terminal isn't working
>better make a thread Sup Forums for help despite it saying that Sup Forums is not a tech support and we have a linux and stupid questions thread always up

At least you decided to try out Linux, props to that but come on man...

Because a lot of retarded neckbeards with no accomplishments think they can do better. They can't, but they're not smart enough to figure that out so more and more distributions pop up.

Linux needs more Ulrich Drepper/Theo de Raddt types to put faggots in their place.

RTFW
seriously though, just look at the steam/troubleshooting article on the arch wiki and fix it. I think its a one liner, so no big deal.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Steam_runtime_issues