/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/How to Create a Network Share Via Samba Via CLI (Command-line interface/Linux Terminal) - Uncomplicated, Simple and Brief Way!
youtube.com/watch?v=0vumR5Hcz7s
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clipboard#List_of_clipboard_managers
github.com/ahodesuka/ahoviewer
github.com/ahodesuka/ahoviewer/blob/master/README.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hello friends.
Have you yet tried the system of operation Astra Linux?
It is in my opinion as secure as armor of tank from Uralvagonzavod, precise in execution of user command like rifle from Cnitochmash and of beautiful interface to traverse which is like you ride a horse in early morning hour through a polyana or a birch tree grove.

I can not create a new keyring in seahorse with gnome-keyring, nor can I edit login.
I'm using arch with i3
seahorse-Message: DNS-SD initialization failed: Daemon not running
(seahorse:1872): Gtk-WARNING **: (gtkicontheme.c:5481):gtk_icon_theme_lookup_by_gicon_for_scale: runtime check failed: ((flags & GTK_ICON_LOOKUP_GENERIC_FALLBACK) == 0)

(seahorse:1872): Gtk-WARNING **: (gtkicontheme.c:2226):gtk_icon_theme_choose_icon_for_scale: runtime check failed: ((flags & GTK_ICON_LOOKUP_GENERIC_FALLBACK) == 0)

(seahorse:1872): Gtk-WARNING **: (gtkicontheme.c:5481):gtk_icon_theme_lookup_by_gicon_for_scale: runtime check failed: ((flags & GTK_ICON_LOOKUP_GENERIC_FALLBACK) == 0)

(seahorse:1872): Gtk-WARNING **: (gtkicontheme.c:2226):gtk_icon_theme_choose_icon_for_scale: runtime check failed: ((flags & GTK_ICON_LOOKUP_GENERIC_FALLBACK) == 0)
gpg

Start the daemon

that removes the error, but I still can't create a new keyring. I forgot to say, when I try to create a new keyring it says: "no such secret collection at path: /"

I love the barebone-ness of Archlinux, but I don't like having so many updates to do. I'd rather not think about them.

I might go back to it again, but maybe there's another distro I should take a look at?

Debian net install without a DE?

Have a look at Manjaro.
It's basically Arch, the comfy version.

I'm not even trying to meme. I just don't know what I have to do with that gtk patch file.

Still don't know what makes it more comfy
mhwd maybe?

Drag and drop, you'll get used to it

Easy install, prericed spins, takes care of updates which may break.

>using a "meme" buzzword such as comfy to describe software

Kill yourself.

>replying to a meme with a meme

>takes care of updates which may break.
Yes, by delaying them. All packages, not just the ones which "break".
I wish I was smarter and with a bigger vocabulary, so I could explain how stupid those derivative distributions are.

It doesn't only delay them, it also provides patches for things that Arch users need to do manually.

We have things such as antergos for that easy install

Antergos or other distros based on arch do this

Updates are delayed
They just wait till almost all problems are solved until they push all updates

Friendly reminder for the manjaro users that take this negatively that I am not hating on manjaro

Nice memes, no sources.
>All I know about technology are Sup Forums memes

pidgin-embeddedvideo crashes for me
openjdk version "1.8.0_92"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_92-b14)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.92-b14, mixed mode)
[1] 7109 abort (core dumped) pidgin

that 7109 is always a new number each crash.
I've installed it from the aur

I used manjaro myself
Had almost no updates besides AUR updates
then a giant wave of updates

Don't see any problem here. What's your point?

That manjaro delays packages without any reason

>without any reason
oh boy

I need help on my auto XDCC from irssi.

Its says
DCC can't create file /path/to/directory/animu.mkv: Permission denied

and the permissions for it with ls -l is
drwxr-xr-x 3 nobody nogroup 40 May 23 00:22 nulog

How do I change permissions for this user without using chown? Because if I use chown transmission won't be able to download to this directory too.

Not the guy you're responding to but I've been using arch for 2 years now and I've never had to patch anything

Whats a good release that is gentoo light but without the complexities and time of gentoo? I normally use gentoo if I want to use linux on my thinkpad I just don't feel like taking the time to do it anymore.

Is there a way to expose the bzImage of a running kernel? I'm trying to get network boot working for my cluster and I want them to be able to serve the image to child nodes.

Assuming you manually wrote out /path/to/directory and irssi is actually trying to save it to nulog:

nulog is set as writable to the user "nobody", everyone else only has read access. Either chmod it 777 or give your user access to it with setfacl

Anyone got any icon packs to recommend? Numix is good but I'd like something that makes it a little easier to tell what the icon is for.

/path/to/directory is /nulog

ACYL, AwOken, Ark, Vertex

Arch

aslo
>release
>complexities
>not gnu/linux

sorry I meant distro and not fucking arch. I said I didn't want to deal with overtly complex shit I like doing it sometimes but I am lazy as shit

*Ubuntu
Debian stable
who knows

Mostly complete and original sets:

>faenza icons
>adwaita icons
>cheser icons
>elementary xfce icons
>paper icons
>moka icons
>breeze icons
>luv icons

Well I don't like having all those bloat programs loaded when Ill only be using 1 or 2 of them.

>claims to normally use gentoo
>isn't familiar with the handful of core distributions and their philosophies

Person who lies on the internet spotted.

There's something called net-install. Just because a package is installed, doesn't mean it's "loaded".

You're totally a long-term, authentic Gentoo user.

You don't know what you want. All you did was mention some buzzwords like "light" and "not complex". People suggested you distributions like that and you dismissed it, because it doesn't fit your ridiculous and idiotic buzzword demands.
What you want doesn't exist. The suggested distributions, which are non-derivative, can be all that. They can be whatever you configure them to. Good luck finding your shitty, derivative niche distribution which just happens to fit your retarded demands.

I have an SSH server running on my ubuntu box using certificates and whatnot.

I want to set up an sftp server and read somewhere that sftp is part of SSH or something? I tried connecting from my phone using the same port as SSH is set up on, 10100 and using my certificate but it wouldn't werk.

What do?

Hi peeps
I have been using Manjaro on my laptop since 2 months now. I have been loving it, it's running greatly on a single core CPU with 3gigs of ram.

I want to go linux on my desktop but I don't really know what to use to replace my adobe software for video and image editing.

I have been trying Gimp for basic image editing, I can roll with it.
I don't really like Inkscape for vetorial edition, if someone know a good alternative, I will be thankful.
My real concern is the video editing software. Again if someone has an idea, I would be thankful again.

sftp://

kdenlive

Gentoo or LFS

im trying to set up a samba share on ubuntu server. i want it to broadcast the shares so that all windows pcs on the network can just click network and open them up. i went through this simple guide help.ubuntu.com/community/How to Create a Network Share Via Samba Via CLI (Command-line interface/Linux Terminal) - Uncomplicated, Simple and Brief Way! and it was working fine.

then i changed permissions on some stuff and i can't browse to them any more, but i can access them by typing in the ip

what are the things i need to check to be able to browse to the folders without typing in an ip? i already restored the smb.conf to default and added just the lines in that guide back but i still cant see it and get to it without typing in the path

I have some samba shares on Debian. You just open your file explorer on Windows and browse your local network.

how do i install windows 7 on a debian machine, when i select to boot from usb it just go back into debian, i've checked with another computer and the usb boots fine there

I began my Linux experience with Ubuntu 14.04, and after learning a bit, switched to Arch (i686 on an older PC). I got sick of having so much power with Arch, I could never get anything done besides tweak my setup, so I decided to boot back into Ubuntu, and it's dreadful.

Unity/Nautilus are awful and I can't do ANYTHING because it's trying to protect me from myself like a fucking Windows user. I can't install a bitmap font, I can't even download fucking emacs packages without going through and editing my permissions.

I'm looking for a distro that's a happy medium: geared more towards experienced users but not so much so that I'm going to spend most of my time setting up my window manager.

I was thinking about Debian or maybe Fedora. I don't know much about OpenSUSE. What do you think /fglt/?

i know, they don't show up in there anymore. i have to type in the network path at the top of the file explorer to get to them now

meant to reply to

You can attempt to install these with WINE. I've heard Photoshop works pretty well with it, but I don't know how Premiere would work.

i should mention that i have tried added browsable = yes in the smb.conf share options but it still doesn't work, when testpharm is ran it doesnt spit out 'browsable = yes' under the share's options

Okay I get user/password prompt.

I think I've disabled the user/password prompt for SSH in the config file, does this affect sftp too?

any gentoomen who can help me with funtoo here?

I'm at the step where I have to chroot into funtoo, and bash is complaining about the missing libncurses.so
I looked, and it is indeed not there. Now I assume I have to install libncurses, however I have no idea how to do so when I haven't even finished installing the OS and the Filesystem root is still the one of my livecd.
what the fuck do I do here?

I will probably give it a try !
I guess it shouldn't have too many problems with the good config.

Alright so I just recently switched over from Win7 to Ubuntu. Really liking things so far, not as difficult to get in to as people made it sound. The only thing that I would like to do is add a Properties bar to the bottom of the file manager like there is in Windows 7. For example the bar that shows the properties of an image, it's dimensions, date modified, created, etc..)

Is this possible?

Even if I have my TV completely powered off (unplugged), Linux still detects it sometimes and there's an invisible 'screen' off to the side, on the Login screen, and whenever I need to use a Live CD.

Is there any way to get it to stop, without unplugging the hdmi cable every time?

Not with Nautilus (Unity's file manager). I know that neither Thunar nor Nemo can do that. Your best bet would be Dolphin (KDE's file manager). You can install it and see for yourself.

+1 Highly recommend Dolphin.

Much appreciated. Is it pretty simple to switch Dolphin to the default file manager in Ubuntu 16.04?

I think you can cover an hdmi pin with insulation tape to stop the auto on/off detect, though i am not sure if it'd work for this case. Google it.

Use Unity control panel > application preferences/default apps. Something like that. You can select Dolphin as your file manager from there (provided that you have it installed.

unpacking the tar again fixed it.
I believe I broke something when I copied the resolv.conf from the system rescue cd to funtoo linux/GNU

Guys, serious question. How come GNU/Linux lacks waifus while Windows has many?

we fuck real girls.

>touching 3DPD
gross

Used LiLi for a Mint persistantUSB (I want it so I can burn isos contained there for Windows and Linux onto another flash drive) but I get the "No operating system found" error, should I just create the max 4gb persistent file size, and afterwards expand it with gparted?

for video editing lol
youtube.com/watch?v=0vumR5Hcz7s

(=)
Also, using mint because of it bootable USB program that even a braidead could use without having to select a mount point for the flash drive. If there's any backport for it just tell me

How do I take a screenshot with i3?
bindsym Print scrot -s
does not work

Reminder we have two threads on /t/ - Torrents

Training videos for GNU/Linux (torrents)
Ported videogames (torrents)
Also check the list of open source games
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw

When you say Unity control panel, do you mean the Unity Tweak Tool? Not seeing anything online about a control panel.

Why is that a JPEG?

PNG would have taken less space and it would have been lossless...

Bump

From the i3 documentation
# Take a screenshot upon pressing $mod+x (select an area)
bindsym --release $mod+x exec --no-startup-id import /tmp/latest-screenshot.png

Thanks

How can I copy the contents of a image to the system clipboard to paste its contents in other applications?

That should just work like you'd expect, if the other application supports images.

See

How do I pipe data to an audio output device?
I've got ALSA on debian

What?

You probably need to install a clipboard manager.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clipboard#List_of_clipboard_managers

I just noticed that all my vps instances have 1 or 2GB ram but all have an x64 OS. Is this fine?

What one would you suggest?

I don't use those. Just try them all until you find one you like.

Recently I installed Ubuntu, dual booted with win10. I got 14.04 with Unity, so that if I ran into problems everything was pretty stock, and similar to most of the users. However it doesn't 'just work'. Simple shit like connecting a monitor over VGA or installing nodejs.

So I'm wondering what actually works with not too much maintenance and headache. I don't mind having to do initial setup but nothing too crazy.

What's currently the best, feature-rich and out-of-the-box beautiful DE?

I've been already falling in love with i3, but I need something friendly for a friendly newfriend.

Where is droid sans in debian testing? All I can find is the fallback version.

shameful bump

Hello friends, what image viewer do you use, I'm looking for a minimal image viewer, such as the one found in everybodys animu screenshots. This is my current desktop, but I'm looking to spice it up a bit, so could anybody recommend a different font or something along those lines?

>have to write a few essays for university
>have 0 sense of design
>watch a few LaTex yt videos
>this looks cool
>apt-get install texlive
42 fucking packages and 589 MB
lmao are they KIDDING ME right now
is there no lightweight version of this thing? even the --no-install-recommends is 130 MB

sxiv

How do I get the kde patched firefox in debian?

Can sxiv do gifs?

Yeah

Webm?

How do I install this?

github.com/ahodesuka/ahoviewer

I've only been using Linux for a few weeks and I'm using Ubuntu 15.10. Thanks in advance

Pipe it into aplay, check the man page for supported formats. If you have a weird format use gstreamer or ffmpeg

github.com/ahodesuka/ahoviewer/blob/master/README.md
+ checkinstall