ITT: Useless tech you still want

Other urls found in this thread:

sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/scsiitems.html#3
archive.org/details/cdromsoftware?and[]=SGI&sort=-publicdate&page=1
nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>useless
Posted the wrong photo?

Look closer. The screen is fucked. OP clearly has a fetish for display items.

This so much.

Beautiful

programming these things in an emulator is fun as fuck, you get to actually watch your shit work

This badboy right here

want

>tfw I almost got to work on a Cray J90 this summer
But the shitheads who owned it got one too many dollar signs in their eyes and now think they're going to make bank off of it at auction, good fucking luck.

A gf

Is this actually a real thing? From when?

Yeah, they're not going to get a lot for that I imagine, too old to be actually useful for something (unless there's some furry tooth out there who wants to set his apartment ablaze), and not cute enough for just sticking in a room as a conversation piece

SGI tezro.

So hipster, but I always wanted a polaroid camera when I was a kid

Yeah, they're just too damn big. I wish I could have gotten to play with it, it was the top-of-the-line config, still in the crate with everything it needed to get going.

I was going to put up the idea of building a museum around it, maybe using it as a cool novelty for parallel and vector programming classes, since the concepts are architecturally agnostic.

Pic related. Have a real nostalgic affection for tape drives. Wish they'd make a comeback.

They're still a thing

>wish they would make a comeback
>posts a modern SAS drive
???

Any freaking IRIX workstation....
I wanna play around with FSN so bad since i'm a kid

Hah - I just bought one. Same exact case as that - but the actual drive is LTO5.

Yeah, but there was due to be a new DAT based standard in 2012, and still nothing. And the price on DLT tapes is such that it only makes any sense for large data centers.

>tfw I bought myself an SGI O2 for my birthday last year
>came without an optical drive, no IRIX installed
>can't get it to recognize the optical drive I bought for it

What kind did you buy? I think Plextors are the most compatible.

>be 19
>work at a surplus warehouse with a friend
>HP reel-to-reel tape drive comes in
>it's literally bigger than both of us and rides on giant casters
>has a GPIB interface
>lightbulbs go off in both of our heads
>I have a GPIB card in an old IBM
>he has an ISA port on his Athlon motherboard
>we buy it for 20 bucks
>takes both of us to lift it into and out of his pickup truck
>get home
>he manages to get it working
>somehow makes Windows XP address it and read and write data to it
>tfw that tape drive was like 200mb

Toshiba XM-5401B

sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/scsiitems.html#3

MUH FLOPS

I mainly want it as a couch

Sale in the US started in 1983, so they're useless now, because they rely on analog signals to work.

I know VAIO laptops got discontinued like 4 years ago and that even the latest one was weak for light gayming but i want this bad boy because its either sony or an alienware if i want to watch chinese cartoons in public and not feel like a poorfag, i aint paying 10k for an underwhelming meme laptop and im not giving any money to jews either, fuck apple

>1080p screen
>acceptable 4 gb ram, can be upgraded to 8
>bluray drive
>dat keyboard

You could probably connect old consoles

real females counts as tech?

That's weird, Toshiba was pretty much /the/ SCSI optical supplier for most big iron back then, but I think SGI boxes do have some problems with certain models.

Try to score yourself a cheap Plextor, don't give up hope yet.

I have a feeling I just did something wrong with the termination, it's my first time using anything SCSI

Could be.

If you have some time to spare, you could always try netbooting it with DINA and some IRIX media, I think all the O2 stuff is on the internet archive now.

archive.org/details/cdromsoftware?and[]=SGI&sort=-publicdate&page=1

Feeling like a poorfag should be the least of your concerns if you watch cartoons in public.

I'm pretty sure that the video connector is proprietary. That, and it wouldn't be very practical to play games on a 1.2" screen anyways.

>useless
fuck you
obsolete, but not useless

Does it not have any external antennae?
I guess your only option then would be buying an illegal TV broadcasting device

>I know VAIO laptops got discontinued like 4 years ago
They're still a thing, Vaio's just the company now instead of the brand.

Would it?

There's no external antennae at all, everything that it receives is via the receivers internal radio.

Yes

>tfw you will probably never own a W701DS

>tfw want it so badly but would never use a 17" laptop

>To hell with the cost, I just want to sit on a train or at a cafe and wait for some mac fag to pull out their pansy air and start browsing night clubs in Orlando, and then pull out the ne plus ultra of portable workstations. The shear weight of it causing me to stagger and drop it from several feet onto their precious air, the impact shattering the mac like the overpriced etch-a-sketch it is whilst the beast continues booting, having scarcely noticed the ongoing calamity, the roar of it's mighty fans shattering windows and breaking hymens for miles around. Then, and only then while the apple fag cradles the remains of his life savings, and everyone is lighting their post coital cigarette shall I pull out that glorious and ridiculous second screen and end this world.

Still think so?

Forgot pic

Sup Forums premium pass

Who gives a fuck if it's hipster. Just buy one and have fun with it. They're actually really cool to use

The resolution is approximately 219 by 145, with ten shades of gray; which makes it taller than an original gameboy, although I doubt you'd really be able to tell what's going on.

I can't believe they were able to make that in 1982. All the best stuff's really made in Japan.

This thing even though it's ugly and has less than 2 hours of battery life.

They exist, but since cartridge prices are comparable to hard drive prices, I assume their entire existence is justified by old regulations stating there must be tape backup.

??? tapes are like $20-$40 at most

Maybe if you want a 100 GB tape.

as long as it has a compiler and dies math faster than you can it will never be truly useless desu

there's also a shit ton of software for them that's been archived

>as long as it has a compiler and dies math faster than you can it will never be truly useless desu
As long as it draws two orders of magnitude more power than a RPI doing math two orders of magnitude faster, it is in fact pretty useless.

energy efficiency has zero bearing on usability, it just means you'll save a more cents doing it

2.5TB tapes are $30 on newegg

The main point being there's literally no reason to use a NeXT station instead of any of the many computing platforms available today, and that makes it useless.

Useless means it has no possible use, which is blatantly false.

There's no reason to use a push mower when you can buy an electric instead, that doesn't mean it still doesn't cut grass.

enjoy your cramped arms and hands when using that mouse

Well, fuck me. Maybe it is actually time to look into tape drives after all, then.

Not him but I used that mouse for years without issue. You enjoying making up issues just to whine about things?

>Mfw we use these in our warehouses for the doors and they're the shittiest thing ever

Useless more commonly means that it won't actually be used, because it has no actual, practical use-case.

Except it being lots cheaper and takes less room in your storage shed?

>You enjoying making up issues just to whine about things?
It's what I'm here for.
However I also had that mouse (for a short period of time) and it fucking sucks.

>because it has no actual, practical use-case
And that is again wrong.

To each his own I guess. I really like the thing. I've got two or three of them lying around.

For the longest time(8 years) I wanted a Zalman Reserator. Ended up buying two off ebay.

>And that is again wrong.
What would that actual, practical use-case actually be, then? Using it for actual computing is not a valid use-case, as it sucks compared to anything else that is available today.

>programming, text editing in general
>SSH

Literally the only reason you'd use a NeXT for that would be because you happened to have one lying around and had nothing better available, which is at the very least a fairly obscure situation.

It's literally still being used for something and that literally makes it not useless
>implying I wouldn't literally buy one just for that

>it has no actual, practical use-case
Sure it does, why do you think you need an SMP system for document processing, music notation, low-end development and other things that people did on those systems for years?
It does all the things it did and solves all the problems it feasibly could no differently than before, and still faster than a human can, that's pretty practical in my book.

>Except it being lots cheaper and takes less room in your storage shed?
That's some serious straw-grasping, I haven't seen nostalgic old people go that far. Besides, push mowers aren't really that much more space efficient or less costly, especially when you factor in replacement parts and maintenance and the fact that you can just hang your modern mower just as easily.

Hell, you can make the same argument for an old NeXTstation too, since the pizza box factor is extremely compact, nice looking, and you can have a complete setup for next to nothing.

Defining "useless" in that way makes the very term useless, though. You can always find some esoteric, theoretical use-case for anything, so by your definition literally nothing is ever useless. If you want to speak about uselessness in some general way, then you have to speak about general usefulness.

why did you upload a picture of one of the terrible chinese made sony laptops

>being cheaper as an advantage is straw-grasping
Wat.

nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/
Here you go, pick a use that suits you.
"but it sucks!!!" is not a valid argument, either, since raspis also suck shit, or really anything you can afford when high-end servers and supercomputers can do it faster and more efficiently.

dat 320 tho

Go home, Ivan. You're drunk again.

See

>Ivan
It clearly says Sergei in the picture, you dunce.

>overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/pgs_-_the_fully_portable_pc_gaming_system/1
im sure that this looks cool and sounds cool but doesn't work in actual use