Will this be the savior of Android? I might switch from iPhone to this

Will this be the savior of Android? I might switch from iPhone to this.

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/google/2016/5/20/11723508/google-project-ara-modular-phone-photos-io-2016
theverge.com/2016/5/24/11748428/google-project-ara-modular-phones-iot-store
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't ever buy Version 1. I'd give it 3 more years to ferment, and to become what it should be.

Nope.
All google did to modular phones was destroy all reason they were designed for.
Ara will have a fixed cpu, ram, gpu and mainboard. Some tiles will only be cosmetic.

Google purposefully killed the saviour.

Could be, if Google doesn't fuck this up.

>drop phone
>get broom

>can't change CPU
>can't expand RAM
>can't expand battery
>can't do anything useful but change the shitty camera or install some gimmick
DOA

This. Unless Google makes components standard, thus allowing every other company to pitch theirs, the modular phone will be revolutionary in the name only.

We all knew that the best you would ever get would be swappable backplates with better batteries, cameras, or connectivity.

It still boggles my mind that some people expected to hot swap shit that at this point is all in one chip.

No, let the idiots buy v1 so we can buy the refined v2 or v3

Reminder to buy custom Replicant phones with modified firmware from Technoetic site. These are currently the most secure phones on the market (don't let shills tell you otherwise).

Look closely at it the paint's already chipped
That model obviously falls apart at any sign of movement

Do you know how a soc works? THE GPU CPU RAM IS SOLDERED TOGETHER ON A SINGLE BOARD. You find a way to make your stupid custom phone modular system without it being incredibly difficult to implement and clunky.

they couldnt stop updating the phone and try to sell a new phone every year otherwise.

>drop the phone
>all the pieces come flying off
>fall into drains, under furniture and vending machines, forever lost

That shit is retarded

Don't fall for the NSA trolls. Remember, they will say ANYTHING to avoid potentially privacy-friendly phones.

>Android
Nothing can save Android. It's a Java virtual machine. The concept is flawed from the start.

no one on this board knows anything about electronics aside for gaymin specs

can it run whatsapp?

I know how an SOC works, but that doesn't change how it was originally pitched as having the ability to swap the SOC allowing you to upgrade to a more powerful one if you wanted or possibly use a tablet one without a baseband modem. They also originally pitched it with the ability to swap out the screen.

>worrying about specialized NSA hardware that costs $2000 a pop and requires you to be rather important for them to go after you with
>not instead worrying about their untargeted passive data collection that affects everyone even in the US without a warrant that they then store in databases for long periods of time and now share with all other federal agencies in the US
Examples of their databases:

>XKeyscore
Stores any data sent over the internet that isn't encrypted such as your searches, emails, posts, etc. for 3-5 days.

>MARINA
Stores metadata for all internet traffic. Possibly including HTTP headers so your entire internet history down to the pages you visited for every website you visit that doesn't use HTTPS and just the more general history of what website if the website does support HTTPS. Stores data for 1 year.

>MAINWAY
Stores metadata related to phonecalls such as caller, receiver, date/time of call, length of call, etc. for 5 year.

>DISHFIRE
Stores text messages for 1 or more years.

>FASCIA
Metadata about cellphone connections to cell towers. Stores data for an unknown amount of time.

How would it stay together?
>magnets
Oh great. So enough of a tug on it and suddenly I'm losing my ram and my camera when I go to take my phone out of my pocket.

>inb4 someone steals your
This will literally never see mainstream adoption because of this, keep dreaming user.

>it's a modular phone you can't replace the cpu, gpu, ram or screen but you can replace the backplate with our selection of cool $15 dezigns printed on $0.12 plastic goy :^)
>personalize your lifestyle!!! #MyAndroid
STOP GIMPING PROJECTS AND DELIVERING GIMMICKY CORPORATE-COCKSUCKING SHIT

Id love to have one of those but
>accidentally falls to the ground
>30 pieces you cant find

Don't you think the initial idea was a bit unrealistic? Maybe in 30 years you can just plop in GPU, CPU or RAM chips into the back but right now they're trying out the concept with a simple serial connector. You can't do high-bandwidth low-end computing through that, and going all the way from non-modular phones to everything-is-modular would have been a big jump.

Right off the bat I figure the reason they can fit the equivalent of Pentium III desktops into a chocolate bar-sized device is because most of the shit is on a very precisely laid out board with components carefully crammed together to ensure a balanced temperature and the biggest possible rectangular space for the battery.

Maybe. Nobody fucking knows how magnets work anyway.

>Right off the bat I figure the reason they can fit the equivalent of Pentium III desktops into a chocolate bar-sized device
You're figuring wrong because that's already possible. The Intel Atom series passed the Pentium III years ago.

Simple. They contain thousands of very small magnets.

>drop phone
>shit flies in fifty directions.
Then again, that's energy being removed from the impact; increasing the likelihood your screen survives.

You forgot to mention that you can't change the display and the built-in battery as well. It's no more modular than the G5.

Yeah, and you can't change the entire phone without getting a whole new phone too. What a scam.

I think the battery is expandable. There's the main swappable battery, and a small internal backup.

theverge.com/google/2016/5/20/11723508/google-project-ara-modular-phone-photos-io-2016
>The battery on this prototype is hot swappable, too. Yup! Camargo opened up the bottom, pulled out the battery, and there was enough juice in the frame to just keep the phone running. It probably wouldn't last very long, but definitely long enough to put in a fresh battery, all without rebooting.

If I had a nickel for every time a smart-aleck made this joke...

They changed it to physical locks.

theverge.com/2016/5/24/11748428/google-project-ara-modular-phones-iot-store
>There are other notable changes with Ara, at least compared to what we've heard before. The original plan was to use powerful magnets to hold the modules in place and wireless, capacitive interconnects to get them communicating with the frame. In their place, Ara is going with physically connected pogo pins and an electronically actuated latch.

Or they could just, y'know, steal the whole phone.

>Drop phone.
>Pieces fly into urine puddle, cow shit, Ganges.

>Plus, those new connectors are made with a shape-shifting "nitinol memory alloy," Camargo says. "So when you pass a current, it actually contracts and you can do mechanical things with it — but now I can control electronically, which means I can control it from software." That enables the magic of ejecting the modules from a software screen (or by saying "Okay Google, eject the camera") with fewer breakable moving parts. It also takes up less space inside the module, giving developers more to work with.

>phone gets hacked
>hacker sends message to eject all modules
>phone literally falls to pieces in user's hand