What does Sup Forums think about Ubuntu MATE?

What does Sup Forums think about Ubuntu MATE?

Why do you use it, or not use it?

Do you use MATE on another distro?

is this the new desktop thread

Fuck off you degenerate sack of shit

is that a yes or a no?

Stop living in the past and use plasma5. And no, is no bloated, stop living with old memes. You know what? Booting Neon or Kaos or manjaro kde minimal uses 100MB less memory than ubuntu Mate and you have an advanced and modern desktop ready for use.

And if you don't like KDE, xfce is much better than mate/gnome2. Never really understood why gnome2 was more succesfull than xfce.

Why would I use a deprecated DE ?

I use cinnamon desktop on top of Ubuntu Mate

What does plasma offer that makes it more functional than MATE?

Serious question, since I'm enjoying in Fedora mate quite a bit as my laptop OS.

Win 8.1 decided to do the Win 10 update on me a month ago without my permission.

Corrupted the entire boot sector and bricked my entire 250GB SSD. Didn't have much important though, my 1TB HDD has all my important shit on it.

Decided I was done with Wandows and switched to Ubuntu. It took me awhile to get used to having to do literally everything through the terminal, and getting my amd 380 to cooperate was a pain.

But I got steam up and running and all my non-steam games work through WINE, and I got streaming software that works with Twitch and Droidcam has a linux version.

Google Chrome had all my settings and bookmarks and passwords backed up to, so once I logged into my google account on chrome everything updated on its own.

Doesn't feel like anything was lost swapping to ubuntu. Fuck windows.

I don't recommend ubuntu tho, theres major problems with their update system...
Try Mint 18 Cinnamon, it's ubuntu without bugs

What did you need terminal for? Only time I HAD to use terminal on Linux was when my mom tried plugging a usb on her laptop which I setup with Linux mint after g told my it's a better beginner distro.

Fuck you Sup Forums.

Caja is pretty nice.

Installing AMD drivers, installing droidcam, installing lots of stuff is a LOT easier to do through sudo apt-get

Once you memorize your couple important commands its faster to just apt-get shit than hunt around online.

I havent had any major issues yet. Everything works fine enough. I think... Sometimes Ubuntu gives me an error message that something bad happened... but nothing actually happens.

I love WINEs error message 'If your game opened up anyways though just ignore this error message'

Okay ubuntu... sure thing.

a USB what?

USB flash drive you autist.

You can search for and update drivers in the settings, but you're right, once you get used to cli it's faster and easier.

yeah, I can understand why some people would be afraid of terminal shit but Im a compute repair tech / programmer by trade, so 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get upgrade' are not exactly scary things for me.

Basic shit.

Woah Ubuntu looks so different. It's more orange/brown than red.

It's like they went from wild Africa to corporate red?

My rankings
1. Cinnamon
2. XFCE
3. KDE
4. Mate
5. Pantheon
6. LXDE
7. GNOME
8. Unity

>use plasma5
Thanks user, will give it a gFATAL ERROR KWIN HAS CLOSED UNEXPECTEDLY

Cinnamon is shit.

I remember that look ;_;

Mate is the best DE

Cool blog but my trash can is full
How the fuck does your brain even function, nu-male?

gaymus

Tux racer.

Hardy 4lyf ;-;

It's shit but still less shit than xfce.

It's pretty nice desu

Everything is less shit than xfce. Even shit

>kde
>gud memory usage
top kek m8

Is that memory usage?

No, it's girls who will reject you in your lifetime

Brb installing tinywm

fuck ubuntu.
it made me drop out of college when my laptop that i bought came with it

couldn't even install the internet on it

We knew that KDE and Unity are bloated as fuck, but the most shocking thing in that graph is that MATE is close to LXDE and beats XFCE! (in translation: MATE fits in the lightweight desktop environment category, without looking like one).

properly themed, it's pretty great.

replaced gnome 3 on my laptop.

Ubuntu MATE 16.04 is what brought me back to Ubuntu after I dropped it in 2009/2010. Stable, well supported debian-based distro with that gnome2 feel is all I wanted.

>without looking like one
yea...
mate is great and all, but it looks like a slightly updated windows xp.
I even had to write my own scripts to resize windows or switch to another WM

>2 panels
No

200MB for Unity? easily worth it.

>bloated as fuck
>200MB
What are you running, a Pentium 4?

It's not about how much it uses, it's about being efficient as a sign of a properly done project.
How do they justify the fact that it has a footprint almost three times than Cinnamon or XFCE and five times bigger than MATE or LXDE?
It's because of all those revolutionary features that Unity has and other desktops lack, of course. /s

Another distro. It's called Sweet-OS

Used MATE on Mint on all personal machines since Ubuntu 11.04 came out without support for Gnome 2.

At work it's Ubuntu MATE 14.04 (currently in the process of testing and refining the SOE for a switch to 16.04)

I don't mind it in general, but I'm the kind of person that burns the bridges behind me; you fuck up ONCE, you're out for good. Therefore, I will never switch back to Ubuntu. Ubuntu needs to just fuck off and die as punishment for that Unity stunt.

KDE has been shit ever since Plasma. End of story. The last usable version of KDE was 3.5

KDE needs to just fuck off and die as punishment for that Plasma shit.

Can you guys stop posting this flash garbage? It isn't funny or interesting at all and I don't think anyone has been fooled.

I use Gentoo because I like Portage and having a operating system flexible enough to fit my personal preferences.

MATE on Mint 13. This was initially a Mint 8 install with GNOME 2. Over the years I have upgraded to newer Mint releases, and was able to transition to MATE while keeping most of my settings.

MATE on Fedora is pretty comfy, don't see the point in gnome 3. Can't install it on Android tablets and touch screen laptops use atoms with dogshit Linux support.

What is the difference between MATE and GNOME 2?

What is the difference betrween Unity and GNOME 3?

I am currently using Ubuntu MATE, and I think it is the best of all of the Ubuntus at the moment. It is simple and very fast and low on resources.

Mate is gnome2, but updated. It's just as nice to use, if not better

>openbox uses less memory than awesome. top kek.

DWM + Dmenu master race reporting in.

mate is solid

Not as solid as muh dick