Are Hackintoshes a meme? Does generic hardware mostly work nowadays or will I hate life and wish I stuck to Linux?

Are Hackintoshes a meme? Does generic hardware mostly work nowadays or will I hate life and wish I stuck to Linux?

Just stick to Linux. It's totally not worth it. Compatibility is shit, kernel panics are still common, endless hours of browsing forums and retarded blogs, anxiety when an update comes out, shit breaks all the time.

Biggest drawback is being constrained in terms of hardware. Use Linux, use whatever hardware you want, enjoy it.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

If the prices were even remotely comparable I'd have no problem paying a bit extra for a Mac, but fuck me the price/performance of the current Macbooks is inexcusable.

They definitely have their upsides but are nowhere near worth the pricetag, stick with Linux unless you just really hate money and feel you should have less of it.

This was true in 2005 lol

I built a hackintosh recently with an i5 6500, GTX 970 and it is just as stable as my Apple iMac was before it died. It took a few hours to get it all working, but as long as you use compatible hardware there will be no problems (tonymacx86 and other forums have a list of compatible mobos/CPUs). I've been using it for several months now with no kernel panics, no lag, no issues whatsoever.

The one drawback is that updates will fuck your whole system, but you can just disable automatic updates and you're fine. Wait a week after the update and there will be a guide on how to update safely.

With compatible desktop hardware it works really good. Autoupdates are smooth as fuck since 10.8 on my z87hd3. For the last year remember only one issue with usb3 ports falling back to usb2. Fixed in half an hour.
But yes you will get some minor limitations like no boot drive encryption, no vga on intel igpu, no location services/handoff/continuity without overpriced apple wifi card.
Laptops is a different story. Few older models may work, but most of them dont.

i have setup multiple hackintoshs,
shit is working really fine if you choose correct hardware.
no kernel panics
it might take 2-3 days till you have everything working but then it's pretty awesome, and you need to learn the details only once then it's fast and easy.
i recommend a full disk backup before doing system updates/upgrades because those might break the system, happens like once a year
nice thing:
you can run logic, adobe, fcp without hassle

send from my pc-bsd desktop

It is, and it's the best meme I've fallen for so far. Can be a hassle to set up (depends on your hardware obviously), but stable as fuck once you got it running.
I don't know how reasonable it is for you personally to use Mac OS, but the idea of hackintosh itself is not bad at all.

install *bsd

So what are the chances that random desktop will support hackintosh?
Like 10%?
Maybe 20%?

This is why people build hackintoshes, not just convert existing PCs.

For a hackintosh you need:
A 4th, 5th or 6th gen intel processor.
AMD processors won't work.

A compatible GPU. The best seems to be any Maxwell Nvidia GPU at the moment.

Compatible motherboard. Gigabyte's are mostly fine- Asus Z** Pros too from experience.

If you want- there are even wifi cards out there for you like TP-Link Archer T8E

Use a Gigabyte motherboard. Use a CPU with a 4600 or better iGPU, even if you intend to add a dedicated card later. Don't try to use wifi unless you're happy to buy one of a small number of working cards. If you want a GPU, go Nvidia (and you'll have to wait if you want Pascal) or old AMD (recent ones do not work).

If you abide by these, it will work VERY well. I use mine every day for work (freelance programming) and, except for a rare issue where it reboots instead of resuming from sleep, it's perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck getting Continuity to work. Have fun with constantly enabling "Search for an older Mac" in AirDrop. Have fun getting sound to work. Have double fun listening to people using anything newer than Nvidia Maxwell cards. It's shit and a hassle.

Making WordPress sites for 20$ on freelance dot com is not proramming user.

Do you need a GPU? Are the integrated graphics on the CPU not enough?

Sound is no problem at all.

AirDrop works with compatible hardware.

Continuity I don't know- I don't use ayPhones.

Also
> implying OS X is only good for muh blogging
This hasn't been true since the birth of OS X- that most of its users are stupid doesn't make the OS stupid. Hell, it's so much better for programming than Windows (even with Canonicals balls all over it now)

You don't need a GPU. Integrated works great OOB.
But if you need more GPU power, a dedicated GPU is always recommended.

I'm running Yosemite on my FX-8350, only thing not working is wifi, but I have access to a wired connection anyway so who cares.

it "works" but desu you will have a much better experience with linux.

It's not worth the hassle, just stick to Linux.

I'm thinking of building a Hackintosh from the ground up so I'll specifically pick compatible parts and I have no real time constraints and thus not really any real budget either although I think I don't want to spend more than $1500 if I don't have to.
I want a Windows partition for video games as well.
Preferably it should be able to play new games at 1080p 60 on highest settings (in Windows of course). Continuity isn't absolutely necessary, but it'd be nice to have as long as I don't have to spend too much to get it.
Is this a realistic goal? I'm kinda concerned because this will be the first time I actually build a PC and there's a lot of things i could potentially fuck up here. I want to use a Power Mac G5 as the case which doesn't make things any easier.

>mfw I hackintoshed my existing PC
>3rd gen Intel CPU, but AMD kernels DO exist
>Graphics card is compatible, but still requires either hardware ID written into the kext or injected by bootloader

>that ultra-rare portable that got murdered so some hipster could feel even smugger at their local coffee shop
>mfw they probably used it for like a day until they realized it was shittier than a real macbook and just stuck it in the closet for eternity

really faggot?
performance is great and not to mention build quality

that performance meme is so 2000

>or will I hate life and wish I stuck to Linux?
Yes.

>800mhz
>sets your house on fire
>good

Fuck off shill.

Depends on how determined you are to get it to work. I hackintoshed an FX-8350 with a shitty $45 motherboard. It worked fine, but it was a massive hassle with custom kernels and configs. Not worth it.

I'm not going to comment on the hackintosh's usability, but a lot of this stuff is just wrong.

>Use Linux, use whatever hardware you want
Not if the freetards have their way.

If you get the right hardware it works very well

The cheapest Macbook with a non-integrated GPU is $2500. Shill harder.