/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

winbeta.org/news/zero-day-exploit-bypasses-windows-security-features-affects-lenovo-thinkpads
theregister.co.uk/2016/07/04/lenovo_scrambling_to_get_a_fix_for_bios_vuln/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for X230!

Second for t420 with SSD

Third for X130e

Who's the lucky goy?

So I thought I had an overheating problem and shit battery for the thinkpad I just got, even replaced the thermal paste. Turns out it was some background service acting up and constantly using 30% of my CPU.

live and learn

Recently i bought a used T500. Put an SSD and Arch Linux with LXQT on it, it just fucking works!
Yesterday i was able to play around with the latest X1 Carbon, crazy machine!

What CPU in T500? Any good for multi-tab youtube, for example?

The Core 2 Duo T9600 is a cheap 2.8GHz dual core that's really good, but a T9900 3.06GHz is available and that's as good as it gets for Penryn.

How about Dell Latitude E7450 vs ThinkPad T450? I just want 16GB RAM laptop for running Linux. E7450 only have 1 HDD slot, no OCD like ThinkPad.

>mfw waiting for my x230 arrive

X200 here - my screen's backlight died, I've been using a separate screen for a while now.

How can I make the separate screen the default one for everything (including from boot..)?

>bought a used t430s
>put ubuntu on it
>literally the best laptop I've ever owned

I slapped a 128GB SSD in it and it BTFO of basically any other laptop I've ever owned (for min. 1/3 of the price)

Thanks Sup Forums.

>have a t420 w/ dock that meets all my laptop needs
>always an urge to get a x220 cause kawaii.
I would barely have a use or a purpose for it except for the tablet version. Having it would be sweet while working on the car to display pdfs and twisting it in any given direction.

Check BIOS settings. I think there is one that does exactly that.

shit that's not going to be easy without backlights

Thanks for the idea tho

Sure it'll be a bit of a pain in the dick, but you only have to do it once, so grab a flashlight, and prepare to squint.

chinkpad addict reportan'

The exact model i plan on buying ! I can choose between a cheaper 1 Tb HDD and a 500 Gb SSD, which one should i go for ?

Go for the SSD

just pull the trigger faggot
you'll have 10 by the end of the year regardless

Hey guys
What's the percentage of 1366 x 768 and 1600 x 900 resolutions for T430s? I know that most of the t420s' are higher res. Is it the same with t430s?

Got a great deal on this EliteBook 8460p, going to be swapping in a Samsung Evo 850 SSD and some more RAM this morning.

Slightly jelly. How bad is the screen flex? I'll probably pick up a model like yours in about 5 years if it's quality.

I've been considering upgrading to a mSATA on my X230. Is there anything I should take into account and are there some recommended brands? Is mSATA affected by the whitelist which restricts WiFi cards on the half size slot?

>Takes up the WWAN slot (full mini card)
>3Gbps maximum supported speed

x230 w/256GB Samsung 850 Evo mSATA here.

It just werks. No BIOS fuckery required.

Help me out anons. Is 1600x900 worth it?

Are you talking about the slim variants or the regular models? Slim variants should be overwhelmingly 1600x900, though apparently there are 1366x768 models out there. The panel is shit either way though, you'll want to do the 1080p IPS mod for the slim models or the Alienware panel swap for the normal ones regardless of which stock panel you get.

How do I open the lid portion?
Do I need to open up the entire screen bezel?

>entire screen bezel
Mang, there's only two screws. The bezel is just snapped on everywhere else.

Thanks senpai
How do I open those screw hole covers, with a knife?

Worked!
Had to make a darkroom to see anything but now it works, thanks!

That's what I use.

Today I went full retard.

I was angry because my t520 was performing very badly. It was slow as fk.

Turns out the CPU clock speed was kept at minimum because I was using the laptop on AC without battery and the supply was too low in power for boosted clock speeds.

Now it is so much faster oh my gawd

Thanks, I'll try it out when I have some time and haven't had any alcohol yet

I got the Series 3 Advanced dock a little while back and it works great... in windows. In Arch, it won't detect any of the monitors hooked to the dock. Do I need the Nvidia drivers to see external monitors? T430 here.

Anyone here have an x100/120e memepad? I recently got one and there's something that is really pissing me off, I have to put a lot of pressure on the middle button of the ultranav keys (the one you use for scrolling) for it to work. I tried disassemblying the keyboard and found the actual conductive pad inside a small rubber housing.

Before I cut it to gain access and clean it is there anything I can do before? Like soaking that part in alcohol?

ONLY the 1600x900 is worth it, unless you plan to replace the 1366x768 with a screen from Alienware m14r2 or some newer ThinkPad whose name I don't remember. A new screen would be about $60.

Just buy a new keyboard, shit's cheap.

yoga 11e, core m 5y10c and 4gigs of ram, 128GB SSD, very nice preformance with ubuntu gnome ;-) replaced tablet and laptop.

So its shit either way, thanks anons

bump

How is your ThinkCat doing today, user ?

>tfw you will never have a cat because you will constantly feel guilty for leaving it alone in the house for the majority of the time
at least I have pictures of cats

You people are sick.

sick indeed

Awww. Here's another picture for you.

The sickest.

Get your filthy creatures out of here.

Beautiful beast. Thanks user

Cats sleep during the day. Kitty will be napping while you are at work. He will be waking up when you come from work.

>2016
>not uprading to ThinkDoge
new features:
>enhanced emotion transmission (up to 10 new emotions!)
>eye tracking feature
>more power
>increased security
>hybrid sleep function and stand by
>can fetch stuff

plebs

How is the screen on a T420?
I'm looking to buy one for multimedia purposes.

Also will it play my 10 bit cartoons?

It's the worst. Get a T420s so you can upgrade it to 1080p IPS or a T520 if you want a stock panel that doesn't suck.

tfw I bought a t520 with HD+ but when it arrived it turned out to be a shitty 756

Anybody else with a t450s? Can I actually put 2 SSD's on it or not? So far it's not too clear.

And here we go again:

winbeta.org/news/zero-day-exploit-bypasses-windows-security-features-affects-lenovo-thinkpads

>Running windows
ISHYGDDT

where can i buy x201s motherboards?

>

Just bought a T530 and Mini Dock Plus Series 3.
i5 2520m
8gb
500gb HD (going to swap for a 256 ssd currently in my borked crapbook pro)
Nvidia NVS 5400M
1600x900
Extended battery

All told with dock for $280. How'd I do?

>The only slightly positive in all of this is that, in order to attack a machine, you need physical access to it, as the UEFI can only be accessed physically, and would require a USB flash drive.
>you need physical access
It's literally fucking nothing.

So the middle mouse button on my x220 broke off and can't be reattached. It's just sitting on there unsecure, so I have to be super careful when I scroll with the trackpoint.

Is there somewhere I can buy just a replacement button? Or do I have to buy a full keyboard?

I had a button that kept popping off. I just used a little dab of superglue on the clips for the key. I assume the middle scroll button is the same.

If it works, great. If not, you didn't lose anything. Keyboard replacement is your only other option.

After messaging the seller back and forth turns out that t430s I was eyeing was actually a t431s. Dodged a fucking bullet right there.

Does anyone know anything about smartcards?

I was hoping to get the express card slot reader working in my Thinkpad (gemalto) but I think I might have bought the wrong cards (SLE4442 Secure Memory) as I can not get them to be read. For some reason, opensc keeps throwing an unresponsive card error.

What are the right type of smartcards to buy if you want to program them yourself? The documentation on these standards is pretty obscure

Thanks in advance to anyone with input

Windows update service
Yeah, remove it from startup, no harm done until it starts when you use the updater.
Lots of people have this problem.

can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the t460 and the t460s keyboards?
i am going to buy a t460 or a t460s soon and the keyboard is the most important thing for me. read in some reviews that the t460 has a deeper key travel and that the keys of the t460s feel "stiff" and not as smooth as the keys of other newer thinkpad keyboards. other reviews say that they have identical keyboards. can anybody help me out? thanks a lot!

Tried to fix wobbly hinges on my T400 today.
After reassembling the display it wouldn't turn on at all (the power does).
When I removed the display frame and adjusted it it turned on again normally.

After I put the display frame back on the computer would power on on power cord (I don't have a battery yet) for a moment and then shut down with a popping sound from indicator light bar on display next to lenovo logo.

I have to reseat the power cord on laptop to have it display the power plug light again.

Have I fucked up my laptop?

I'm assuming you took the display bezel off and unplugged the inverter power cable. If so, it's possible you blew the backlight fuse plugging in the power cable backwards to the inverter since it's 2-prong and fits both ways.

Might have nothing to do with it. Try the button trick. Unplug power, push power button for 1 sec 10 times, on 10th, hold for 30 seconds. Plug AC cord back in and try to boot normally.

>tfw my desktop is there gathering dust since i got a docked t420 + monitor setup
I don't game anymore and this is comfy.

The T420 meme is pretty gud, thanks Sup Forumsee.

same travel, variances in oem

What are steps I can take with my x220t to increase battery life

how many hours do you get with the x220

>nupad
>Windows
>garbage keyboard
only good thing in that picture is the dog

A friend gave me his T450s when he graduated in May. What should I do with it?
[spoiler]I know this isn't the Thinkpad keyboard we all know and love, but FUCK is it an improvement over any non-ThinkPad[/spoiler]

I need some help picking which laptop to buy(will mainly be used for programming in CS classes and maybe watch a movie, no gaming).
Option 1: x230 ,8gb ram, 180gb SSD , IPS Price, ~370 USD
Option 2: T530 , 8gb ram , 300gb unspecified (assume HDD) and an unspecified screen type which I can't tell off of images :/ Price: ~355 USD .

I know this isnt much to go on but I hope I can get some clearity. Not sure if you are allowed to post links in these boards either.

Can you ask the machine type numbers that are below the battery? Especially for the T530

Message the guy for model numbers, plug it into Lenovo's site

HD or FHD screen? Discrete or iGPU?
No matter the screen, keep it.

With a $700 budget, what would be recommended ThinkPads to look up?

x200

Used T450s if you want something new.
Or get a X220/230 and it's dock.

If your budget is that high you might as well get something that's not a Thinkpad.

Is there anything (thinkpad/latitiude/elitebook/precision) within $200 of the T420 that's got a fuckload more gpu power?
I'm looking to get one and there doesn't seem to be anything remotely better until you get to $500+ W series and such

A t420 and a 200 dollar gpu

Are the newer X2__ models (not carbon) inferior to the X220 in ways other than chiclet & keyboard layout?

From X240 and on they only have one RAM slot.

Ah, ok thanks very much!

I've heard the x260 (x250?) has an utterly disappointing screen that's worse than its specs suggest, any idea of how true this is?

>look at prices for new thinkpads
>ouch
And that is including the corporate discount, so I search ebay

>t430
>8gb ram, 1600x900 panel, i5, all original but in good condition
>199 with free shipping

should I buy it?

Sure. Be prepared to buy a new battery.

Should one purchase a thinkpad while unemployed?

Time's always wrong on my T520. Changing the time doesn't stick. Why?

It's a good investment for a neet

Is a default T420 good enough to experiment with linux and learn programming with? It seems kinda old and when I use my sisters old ass laptop its so goddamn slow you can barely browse the internet, but it's a toshiba and full of a bunch of useless bloat

Why is the thinklight in the x61 such shit?

the one on my t430 rocks...

when will there be a thinkpad with a good GPU? (T or X series)

theregister.co.uk/2016/07/04/lenovo_scrambling_to_get_a_fix_for_bios_vuln/

>Thinkpad owners BTFO

>needs physical access
>UEFI
>Windows 10
Sure is a good day to not be a fucking pleb.

im pretty happy with my t420