masswerk.at/schemes.html
web.archive.org/web/20130530175811/http://www.kaleidoscope.net/schemes/
info-mac.org/viewforum.php?f=203&sid=7eb8cd56e2a3b7bb13a284e4502959d8
floodgap.com/retrobits/tpm/4567.html
pown.it/525
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is this really going to die?

Post stuff!

Just got this yesterday. Need to get a mouse though, i had one but it's not working anymore.

Zenith Data Systems Z-Note 433Lnc+. Intel 486, 8mb ram, 200mb harddrive.

Also no idea who Louis is, didn't realize that W95 modified the floppy when writing the first install of W95. So i'm assuming this laptop is forever registered to Louis.

Also got this, Toshiba T2000SX, Intel 386, 1mb onboard ram and a 4mb addon ram card, 40mb harddrive (which is curious because the model number is for the 20mb model, so either somebody upgraded it or there's an error?).

Sadly the FDD doesn't work, which is a real shame because it's a neat little device.

Also, worth mentioning, the keyboard on both of these laptops are miles better than any keyboard i've ever used on a modern laptop. They are VERY nice to type on.

Late '90s ZDS stuff looks absolutely sublime.

Not late '90s, early '90s, and I forgot my picture.

I just scored a commodore 64 for 10$ and have no idea if it works or not, dont have a PSU to test It,

Need to built one first

not only is it trash and outdated

its made by a company who puts ton of bloatware on their pc's

you fucking faggot go kiss Trump the lump

Reminder that Living Computer Museum maintains vintage microcomputers, mainframes, minicomputers, and other devices for people to touch and use: livingcomputermuseum.org

Also, several of their systems are available remotely: livingcomputermuseum.org/Online-Systems/Request-a-Login.aspx

What does politics even have to do with this you stupid summer-fag reddit bookmarked sperglord?

Probably gonna get a Epson hx20 soon. No idea why.

That looks like a lovely keyboard

All I got is an Amiga500, and an old W95 era computer in the garage I need to give a HDD and OS.

I'd love to get a small, interesting vintage computer.

That place looks fucking sublime. I'd go to the US again just to go there.

>livingcomputermuseum.org/Online-Systems/Request-a-Login.aspx
That's pretty damn neat.

>reddit bookmarked
Now those are fighting words.

How do you connect to these systems remotely?

Through the internet, obviously.

Yes, but what's the process of signing up?

In contrast, i picked this up a couple of months ago.

Worst keyboard i've ever laid hands on.

If only there was some kind of way, perhaps a url, where you could, I dunno, request a login.

Use the sign up form posted earlier.
If you mean "what's the equivalent of ssh/telnet to connect to these" try this:
livingcomputermuseum.org/Online-Systems/User-Documentation.aspx

You're a useless person.
I was wondering if anyone knew what they did. Is it instant, are they going to try to talk to me about? I couldn't really find any information about it on the site so I was wondering if someone else had signed up.

I may be useless but I can at least figure things out on my own without being coddled constantly.

Yes, I had signed up before for the PDP-11
IIRC I got an email asking to confirm followed by another email that included my login credentials and instructions for initial connection.

Ok, dug through email, and this is what I received (some redactions in place):

"Welcome! Thank you for your interest in Living Computer Museum's systems.
Your account has been created on our PDP-11/70 running Unix, version 7.

You may connect to the system via telnet at the address *. If you are unable to connect, you can
check system status atlivingcomputermuseum.org/Online-Systems/System-Status-(1).aspx

Username: *

Password: *

Please use the passwd command to change your password on first login.
You can find introductory and refresher information in the manual atlivingcomputermuseum.org/Online-Systems/User-Documentation.aspx

The Bitsavers collection (bitsavers.org/pdf/att/unix/) contains a great deal of other documentation as well, for other versions of Unix."

Obviously it will be different if you request for a non-unix remote. But I would expect something similar.

Who /hand-aided copious fecal matter consumption/ here?

Fuck you. Now i want a g4 imac again to go along with my tibook and g4 tower. I dont even fucking use them anymore.

>people don't have time for Sup Forums the rest of the year

I have a G5 Power Mac I've held onto. Might toss MorphOS on it... I have no nostalgia for MacOS 9 or earlier, and I only use OS X on a MBP I carry for work.

Look into it while they're still cheap and plentiful, I'd love one of the later 1 GHz 17'' or 1.25 GHz 20'' models with DDR memory to replace my 800 MHz 17'', should be fast enough to actually get some use out of them, although they can't boot OS 9.

I don't really have any nostalgia for it either, had some shitty Performas running 7.x as a kid but don't remember much of them, OS 9 and the rest of the "classic" family are just fun to mess with, tons of software and some of the best customization tools of any legacy platform out there. Early OS X is nice too.

>being so new he doesn't understand the eternal summer

Yeah, I think the fact that the last legacy Mac I used was a shitty Performa is what killed any chance of nostalgia for me.

Old rig running Sweet-OS

>some of the best customization tools of any legacy platform out there.
Kaleidoscope still is still by far the best theming engine. Nothing has topped it yet, not even the paragon of customizability (Linux WMs/DEs). Kaleidoscope scheme artists had near full control over the window frame, controls, menubar, icons, fonts, sounds… everything. There were even a couple of clever schemes which somehow managed to add 32-bit alpha transparency drop shadows to menus despite classic Mac OS never supporting such a thing in its windowing system.

Do you happen to have a place i can download these?

what crt monitor is that on the right corner ??

macintoshgarden.org/apps/kaleidoscope
They finally got around to archiving it, plus the entire scheme library as well as banned Aqua schemes.

These are my favorite schemes though:
masswerk.at/schemes.html

A lame entry-level Sun monitor that shipped with one of my Blades.

Unfortunately the official site for it finally went under some time in the last year, but most of it should still be accessible through the WayBackMachine: web.archive.org/web/20130530175811/http://www.kaleidoscope.net/schemes/

It'll complain about a page not being found when you try to download, but the download will work anyway. Most will come in the form of Stuffit archives (.sit) and schemes require HFS+ resource forks to work, so make sure you expand them only on a Mac. Some methods of file sharing like SMB may strip these resource forks as well.

Simply googling "kaleidoscope schemes" amazingly still returns many pages of scheme artists.

Oh sweet, I had no idea the Garden had schemes now. Did they get all the stuff from Kaleidoscope.net?

Oh yeah, and the seemingly everlasting Info-Mac archive also has a bunch of schemes:
info-mac.org/viewforum.php?f=203&sid=7eb8cd56e2a3b7bb13a284e4502959d8

Thanks, I'll grab them the next time i fire up my tibook.

Not sure where they got it from, seems like a mirror or something since they had all the removed schemes too.

The wayback machine mirror of the old site works for the most part but I think it doesn't archive >2MB files

I feel compelled to post the entire ad.

>The wayback machine mirror of the old site works for the most part but I think it doesn't archive >2MB files
It's been a long time (like 16 years now? fuck) but I don't remember any schemes breaking the 1MB barrier, let alone 2MB

The Garden page says that ~3700 or the 4100 schemes are able to be downloaded, maybe it varies from site to site. I've noticed in general from surfing around that pretty much anything less than 1.5 MB is a shoe-in and will almost always be archived, anything greater, not so much

>would you like some screen with your bezel?

I wonder if anybody has tried getting in touch with Greg. He might have everything archived still since the site only went down recently.

It's not a damn barrier. Stop using the word wrong

half of the cost of a laptop was in the display desu

Not really computers, but whatever

Found the Tandy at a Goodwill Outlet

but the PC-4 is a computer user

this guy has autism for it
floodgap.com/retrobits/tpm/4567.html

Up and running with Floppy emulator and FlashAir SD.

Who /£300 accelerator/ here?

>Is this really going to die?
Well you posted the thread with a toy in the OP picture instead of a computer like in your second picture so most of the board assumed it was a troll and ignored it.

Cool, thanks guys.

>can't deny cold hard reality
>thread came to life after op posted a real computer to prove he wasn't a troll
The truth hurts doesn't it?

You can probably just fix it in the registry, just search for "Louis" and change it to whatever, that's how I swapped registration info on my NT4 boxes rather than spend forever reinstalling it.

Oh my god, multiple threads too? You really do have no life.

Real OP here, that was somebody else.

>tfw still have my 1200, games, software, joystick but shit mouse and no monitor

>feeding the DTS shill

I always thought these boxes looked so good, but the things were so overpriced for what you got.

Probably, the four-slot EISA tower or the server model probably would have been nice.

Still want one of the pizza boxes though.

Yeah, i'm not OP, just somebody who wanted a Vintage thread, found one, and saw no replies.

I have become macfag, destroyer of ports.

I have a white slot loading imac G3, a 24 inch imac C2D, a powermac G4, a powermac G5 twin CPU, a mac mini G4, a Powerbook G3 (unsure what model,) another powerbook G3 Pismo, a Powerbook 520, and a LC575. I also have a sun cobalt qube 3 lying around that I'm probably going to use to network them.

I've got toys too though, if you'd prefer those.

Thanks, i'll give that a try when i pick up a mouse.

Doesn't really bother me though. The bad Cmos battery annoys me more than the name.

What do you... do with them? I've got a couple of macs i picked up just to play around with and, i just really don't like using them.

I use them for what they were designed to do.

Good man.

>LC575
Neat little machine, used to have one. Nicely expandable despite being an AIO – it was cake to add ethernet to mine. Just had to buy an $8 card from eBay, slide the mainboard out of the back of the 575, and plug the card in.

It's surprisingly snappy and usable for its age and doesn't feel like a machine from 1994 at all. With a RAM upgrade and Mac OS 8.1 I could see it having been useful up into the early 00s.

>What do you... do with them?
Same stuff you'd do with an old PC, with sites like the Macintosh Garden there's probably a bigger base of archived commercial software for them than even 9x systems, as well as an active development community on OS 9 and OS X Tiger.

Messed around with pic related on and off for a month or two, beat the shit out of DOS and Windows 3.x by a mile, definitely not a stable or elegant platform under the hood by any means, but it feels very modern and well-designed nonetheless.

>AppleCD Audio Player
>back when CD Audio decoding was done in hardware
>player itself didn't have to be open
>if your OS froze up the currently playing track would continue playing until finished
maximum comfy

I wish specialized hardware played a bigger role today, the current approach of inefficiently bruteforcing through everything with software on powerful CPUs sucks

>What do you... do with them?
Stuff.
I'd post my PC collection, but I'm afraid I don't remember them all.
Run old programs, experiment with them, and find interesting things about them.
It was pretty interesting to disassemble it the first time.

I've got about 35 PC's, but most of it's P4, and Athlon 64 stuff.

Have 5 PIII's IIRC, 2 PII, a couple i486/am486.

Biggest problem though is finding working PSU's.

NOT EVEN OWNING A 8088xt

get out

Fine, you win. Here's you're (You).

lel
I have ~42 or so assembled. I think the P4 dells are multiplying when my back is turned.

They're kinda pointless desu, everything they can do a 286 or above can do better and there's not much in terms of games for 5150/XT as they were strictly business computers.

pown.it/525

If there's any computer I'm totally and completely okay with trashing it's a P4 Dell. They were an IT nightmare.

Pretty much, I still like the look and "feel" of my XTs though. Still need to get my hands on a nice AT anyway.

Sorry :(.

The P4's do seem to multiply. Picked up this lot the other day for free, and it's one of a few that i've got in the past couple months.

I have a hard time finding older stuff though. I have actually gotten some use out of these systems, specifically the Athlon ones. Have one running in the kitchen and one in my weight room. Make great little media computers.

Also related, at least to the thread, my technic setup. 110 disc CD-Changer, a bit overkill.

Sadly it's hooked up to absolute shit speakers atm.

Picked this up at a yardsale for $20 a month ago.

I got a apple II GS that I got for $10 (monitor, keyboard, 5.25" floppy, 3.5" floppy, mouse) like 15 years ago.

Only problem is I don't have any software for it so it's basically sat there doing nothing for the past 15 years.

I guess you can get sdcard drives that emulate the normal disk drives?

Maybe i'll get some motivation to do that thing to turn the plastic back to it's original white and get something so I can run some software.

(pic related, it's EXACTLY what I have)

>FOR FREE
but how?

... I just got a 400-cd changer last month.

Old stereo stuff, and old speakers are mostly garbage.

There are a few gems of course, but as a rule the class D, and AB chipamps are going to sound a zillion times better.

Speakers it's pointless to spend any amount of money (like sure if it's $20) on if it's not modern. Computer modelling that didn't exist in the 70s and 80s did wonders for speaker design.

Nice! I still have a stack of Laserdiscs but no longer have a working player.

Id love to post pictures of my recent vintage pc score a 286 for 80$ and it weight over 60 pounds without monitor !

but dont have the time right now
, have to study

They're P4's.

I put ads on my local Kijiji looking for old scrap computers people are throwing out. Normally i get one or two, i got lucky on that one.

I've stopped recently because i've ran out of room until i can get into a house with a basement to store all this crap. Apartment i'm living in has a storage area for each apartment, and mine's full with computer crap now. Not to mention my closets, and now my living room's starting to fill up... It's an addiction, and i can't stop it! I don't even do anything with them most of the time, i just clean them up, get them working and install Windows, or Linux on them, then they go into storage...

Out of all the stuff i've gotten, a combination of best items would yield me a PC with a C2D E6600, GTX8800, 4gb of ram and a 1tb HDD. Not a bad little PC for free.

The parts are split up now though, the C2D is in a media PC with a 6600gt, i put the 1tb HDD in my main pc. The 8800 is just laying around atm, need to get another PSU to power it for a new build...

This is what most of them look like when i get them.

And all clean.

Jesus, going to guess it's something industrial for a mall or something? Who would even have 400 CD's?

From what i've read the Technic Receiver i have is pretty decent, and still holds up. I reallly have no clue about audio stuff though. I just really like the aesthetic of it, and i got the whole thing for $30 so i don't really mind. I find it still works great for CD and Tape playback.

Eventually i'm going to put some money out and buy a lot off of ebay.

Forgot photo.

>something industrial for a mall or something?
It's a consumer-grade Sony cd player. I've seen 200 and 300-disc models, too. As a matter of fact you can even daisy-chain two of them together for 800 CDs controlled by one remote.
>Who would even have 400 CD's?
A friend of mine downloads FLACs of live shows and burns them to CDs. He's got fuckloads.

>From what i've read the Technic Receiver i have is pretty decent, and still holds up. I reallly have no clue about audio stuff though. I just really like the aesthetic of it, and i got the whole thing for $30 so i don't really mind. I find it still works great for CD and Tape playback.

It's probably not horrible, but I have noticed lot of people see something and they are like "OLD == GOOD" when that's really really not true.

Usually these are hipsters, but people seem to think classic amps aren't shit and are better than a modern class D.

I mean at the end of the day if you like it who cares. It's pretty cool you have the whole stack and the tuner looks nice.

>Jesus, going to guess it's something industrial for a mall or something? Who would even have 400 CD's?

You must be young....

Lot of folks. I mean that's 400 albums. If you started buying CD's in the 90s that's not really crazy.

Yeah i can see that.

Honestly though, i know very little about audio and am certainly no "audiophile". Just got it because i like the look, and it feels very nice (knobs, buttons, etc).

I don't even know enough to know what a class D would mean. It's not something i'd spend a whole lot of money on.

Yeah, i'm only 24. Just seems like a lot to me, guess i'm just talking out of my ass though.

The IBM/Optiplex's are great for free. Maybe I should try my look sometime.

The fact that you clean them up so well but have no way of using them all confuses me though. Hopefully you make some cash from it somehow.