/fmt/ - Friendly Mac Thread

Welcome to /fmt/ - Friendly Mac Thread.

Ask questions, discuss tips and tricks, discuss your favorite software, and share your experiences.

Users of all skill levels are welcome. Let's keep it civilized and remember to not feed the trolls.

macOS Sierra 10.12 discussion is also welcome.

Official Apple Support: support.apple.com

we don't need this, because apple shit actually works unlike linux.

It weeks because applel limit s what you can do

>apple shit actually works
This is what apple shills actually believe

yes they limit it from breaking randomly

I have used arch for years and it only broke when I went fucking around and changing things. Osx on the other hand WS a shit load of workarounds to mount exfat drives, and show hidden files

exFAT has been supported natively since late 2010.

Showing hidden files in the Finder is just a matter of modifying a single setting via the defaults program.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

killall Finder

And you can change it back by just replacing the "YES" for a "NO" and running the same commands.

>having to use a command and kill finder to show hidden files
>you can't just Ctrl+h

It might of been supported but it does not work most times

You do know I am saying osx is shit right?

Hidden files are not intended to be seen by ordinary users, hence why they are hidden.

>I have no ability to read

Sorry m8.

What's the best linux distribution to install on my late 2013 rMBP?

You still need to use a workaround to wide them. What if you are a developer that takes up more time than it should
No prob senpai

That finder guy is so friendly. What a nice guy. :^)

Can I use appletalk to transfer things between two computers running 7.1 and 9.2 connected by an ethernet cable?

>Showing hidden files in the Finder is just a matter of modifying a single setting via the defaults program

KDE is more advanced than this. KDE has a toggle right there, and it remembers the setting for each folder. So you can have "show hidden files" in a parent folder, and subfolders won't show hidden files if you don't want them to. You can also say "for all subfolders" and it'll do it for the subfolders without further interaction.

This is why I use Linux. Because Windows and OSX are fucking /crippled/

This is hilarious.

>Welcome to /fmt/ - Friendly Mac Thread.
This made my day. Thanks OP.

Anything lightweight like arch and xfce or Debian minimal

Doesn't XFCE have the thumbnail bug?

Nope I use openbox and thunar, no bug here

I use ExFAT with OS X and it works fine, fuck off.

Using timemachine over internet is still a bad idea? Within a vpn network of course.
It's no so comfy to copy sparcebundle with rsync.

You should sell it and buy something else.
It really should be fine, just take forever.

Thunar uses GtkFileChooser, what versions are you using of thunar and XFCE?

>You should sell it and buy something else.
I'm thinking of doing that. I'll probably sell it and get like an XPS 13/15 once Intel's new generation of processors come out and all the manufacturers update their laptops.

I'm not home but I haven't syu in a while

99.99999999% of users have no use for toggling hidden files on a per-folder basis. Apple and Microsoft aren't going to bloat their interface and waste screen space with a bunch of ultra-niche settings.

Sup Forums - Generals

You are wrong, user :>

Sup Forums is filled with developers who have no time to waste! their hourly rate doesn't allow for pasting a simple script into the command line just once per lifetime, they are too busy building those softwarez!

Netatalk is slower then rsync/syncthing, but it is not that bad. ~5MB/s vs ~8MB/s
And what about sierra? Afp shit will be deprecated. Will linux smb be compatible with time machine?

I was referring more to doing it over the internet than doing it locally. Though AFP isn't very fast as you say.

summer

The disk utility in El capitan is total shit. I want the old one back.

I can't format a fucking partition on hard drive to Mac OS Extended Journaled for time machine backup. El Capitan disk utility is cancer.

Does the experimental native NTFS write support work well?

You all should install Mavericks

Just use diskutil, I doubt Apple's going to fix Disk Utility anytime soon.
diskutil eraseVolume JHFS+ partitionname /dev/disk#

That wallpaper is really comfy, reminds me of GNUStep.

Yeah, it sucks that the option to show/hide your files is only meant for one finder session, but honestly, who gives a shit. If you are a developer or whatever, you simply always show hidden files anyway, at least that's what I do, even though I have set up cmd+alt+h as a shortcut for that.

If everyone downgraded to Mavericks, what would happen?

Microsoft established a routine for such incidents.

>posting the smiley with the caret nose

I want to fuck a iMac G4

>tfw no extra desk space, it just sits in a closet
I can't wait to move

How do I get cum out of cashmere?

I got a free Powermac G5 from freecycle, it has two processors but no HD, it's also missing the screws for the HD's, these seem really expensive on ebay.

Anons, what is the macos I should install on it? Do I have to buy the special Apple screws? I'd like to make it into an emulation machine, but would it even run contemporary versions of mame etc?

>what OS
Tiger if you want Classic, otherwise Leopard. Make sure to install Tigerbrew too
>screws
Any screws work, they just need to hang off the drive so you can slide it into the bays.
>would it be powerful enough?
You've got more than enough power

hey, thanks kind user, I'll name the mac any name you care to give it as a mark of gratitude.

Name it 'PowerMac'

Hah! Will do, existentialist user-kun!

If you name it winston we'll have matching PowerMacs

maybe we could make a real life CTRL ALT DEL sequel and have a foursome with them. Perhaps striped socks user could try and tempt them into some trap sex too.

>le ebin macs r gay meme
People like you are the only reason I look forward to summer ending.

seeing how I've been here a couple of weeks since 4 chan began, and used to post on strawberry before that, I reckon I've awaited far more of your moronic ilk to give up and leave.

>friendly faggot general

>macfags uses windows
>downloads and installs gayniggersorgy.zip.rar.mov.mp4.exe
>"OMG wtf wangblows is so insecur!!"

>macfag uses linix
>tries to do anything
>"oMg wtf is wit this dinosaur os loonix blows!!!11"

Legitimate question. Where do mactoddler morons get the false impression they and their toddler toys are welcome on a technology site?

ok, that's it Macs should get their own board
now, seeing as it is a Fashion conscious take on Technology, it should be a combination of /fa/shion and technolo/g/y
/fag/-Apple Technology

>whining that technology is being discussed on a technology board

kek

>toddler toys
>technology

>computers are toddler toys
epik meme

>macs r computerz!
epik maymay

>Macs aren't computers
Spotted the retard.

LOL
this

I'm still running Mavericks.
How shit is El Capitan (or Sierra) after disabling SIP?

>>max r computerz!@!!
Keep throwing that tantrum and regurgitating your epik maymays. Maybe they'll come true.

How many times are you going to post this? What do you do with your life?

>lolxD they're not what they clearly are becuz I say so!
Keep telling yourself that.

You don't even need to do that, you can just re-enable root user.

>You don't even need to do that
Depends on what you're doing, I've run into multiple problems that were solved by disabling SIP

>has no answer
I rest my case.

What about SIMBL though? Pretty sure that needs SIP turned off.

Oh, then yes, you must turn SIP off. But for stuff that you just need to change every once in a while, enabling the root user works for me.

OS X is like finding yourself unrestrained in a padded room with the door unlocked. Sure you start out in babbyland, but you're only there as long as you want to be.

Fuck off loser.
It's disabled, you aren't locked out.

When are the new rMBPs coming out? Had this air for over a year now, but now need more space and RAM (and a less awful screen).

Just buy a 2015.

>mfw the samefagging shitposter gets banned

Tell me more, I'm interested

The correct term is "Friendly apple general"

>macfags have no answer

But new ones will be out soon. I don't want to make another mistake like I did with the Air.

Why bother responding to shitposters?

>I don't want to make another mistake
>wants to buy macshit

ayylmao

ebin

What makes you think they're be out soon? They haven't announced a thing. Not to mention you could sell the 2015 if you want a 2016 that come out later on.

Been using a Hackintosh for a couple of months now

OSX is perfect. I don't want to go back to Winblows or Shitnux ever again.

2 rupees have been deposited in your designated shitting street Rajeesh!

Nothing better than poking fun at oneself. Voting Friendly Apple General for next title thread.
(Except it's about the OS, so eh.)

Well the air is still better than any other computer I've ever owned. Windows 8 was so godawful I just wanted to escape. The only problem with is screen glare, everything else is perfect. Now I need a more powerful pro for work.

I expect they'll be out in time to ship with sierra this fall.

>a 1366x768 TN piece of shit is better than any other computer i've ever owned

Consider suicide.

Same. I tried many OS, but OS X X.IX is the only one that doesn't have a critical flaw
apple loses on hackintoshes

Mad freetard

this desu senpai

There's three Macbooks:

Plain: worse than celeron piece of shit with the worst keyboard in the history of computing

Air: same 1366x768 TN piece of shit you find on $200 craptops, and it's glossy on top of that

Pro: if you try to use the high end hardware they cram into it, it catches fire

They're all utter shit, and only a moron would buy any of them.

Well apparently you know when they're going to come out, so why did you ask your question?/

>osx

Found the critical flaw.

It's 1400x900 thank you