/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/haasn/69e19fc2fe0e25f3cff5,
github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/)
linuxconfig.org/nvidia-geforce-driver-installation-on-debian-jessie-linux-8-64bit
roxterm.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=index&lang=en
snwh.org/moka
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pls

bamp, anybody know how to add non-alphanumeric characters to the ubuntu hostname?

May I ask for what purpose?

I'd like to have a hostname in my native language

What's the best way to have multiple XFCE configs that I can swap between? Should I write a script that exports and imports config files?

multiple aliases that run the desired config

what do?

Are you really expecting help?

No

Which of these three is the best terminal emulator: konsole, rxvt, or xfce-terminal.

Does having two operating systems on a computer cut the resources in half too?

I've been using Debian for a long time now, but
I'd like to game a little now too. Will installing Bangblows 7 slow down my computer?

If you have kde then use konsole. If you have xfce then use xfce-terminal, if you have anything else, especially just a wm, then use urxvt.

Whoops, meant to say four. I forgot about xterm.

How is urxvt compared to xterm?

Either learn to use a virtual machine, or dual boot. For dual-booting, backup your stuff somewhere, partition your drive, then install Windows. Windows will probably fuck up your boot record, and maybe your Debian install, so have a USB handy to reinstall that shit. You will only have one OS running at a time, so your only loss in resources is the space you're giving Windows.
Oh, and don't expect to access anything on a Linux partition from Windows. If you have files you want accessible from both OS'es, put them on a FAT32 - formatted partition.

Better

Alrighty, I'll make urxvt my default terminal since Sup Forums likes it and I've heard a lot of praise about it being good and stable and whatnot.

Someone asked a relevant question in the previous thread

termite

Any recommended distros for my wife?

She's been using elementary and likes the simplicity, and the look & feel of the os. Only problem is it's a buggy piece of shit.

Looking for something *buntu based preferably, and ideally with a similar look and feel, particularly the app dock and single click file navigation like elementary.

Alternatively, any recommended DEs that I can easily modify to work like this, and I'll just modify a *buntu install.

Not familiar with this type of setup due to being an i3 user myself, but she likes it.

good evening from Canada

I am trying to instaall a program called lynx the terminal browser to my school server its a supercomputer linux supercomouter.

i prefer dowbloading using an ftp cpient like filezilla, and i have the tar.gz file.
Anything would be helpful, thx.

How do i go about doing this ?

extract the file
read the README or INSTALL file

Guys I have a question

Me and a relative both own T420 thinkpads. His is acting up, and we think it might be his hard drive. So I offered him to try booting off of my HDD to see if everything ran well or if his stuttering problems persisted.

But when we tried booting his laptop off of my HDD (plugged into his original HDD's slot), the boot select screen would just keep popping up instantly instead of booting into the drive's Debian installation.

Why might this be? And how can I get it to boot off of my HDD?

If it matters, both computers are using UEFI.

Debian w/GNOME should work fine. There's a gnome shell extension called Dash to Dock which does exactly what you'd expect it to do

Depends. I'd use konsole or Xfce4-terminal

plank
tint2

gnome-terminal or stterm

I can't get my IME to input Japanese. I already installed IBus and Mosc, and did all the locale crap, but it still isn't working. Yes, I already restarted.

I just got Arch up and running, now what?

Tell everyone about it.

Realize you've done something for internet cred, slap yourself, tell yourself to never do it again, and then get on with your life. With or without Arch

And for the love of fuck don't be *that* guy. You know who I'm talking about.

pls respond

Neat. I was looking to get started with SSH. Thank you!

pacman -Syyu
install pacaur
install xorg-server-common
install modprobed-db
install infinality(boomi repo or locally)
install linux-ck(graysky repo or locally)
install asd/psd
install spacefm
install termite
install mpv-build
install transmission
install dmenu2
install redshift
install tint2
install lrzip
install firefox-nightly and then harden it (gist.github.com/haasn/69e19fc2fe0e25f3cff5, github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/)
setup opennic for dns

>harden it
Or just use GNU Icecat.

What is all this?

Things you should install.

Oh boy.

how to i do that thing in a console that shows os version and gives system specs? i cant for the life of me figure it out. i am using arch btw

f-f-f-friendly pls

Screenfetch

You mean screenfetch? get it from github.
stuff for arch users

If you wanted friendly, you probably shouldn't have gone with the distro that has the most elitist and pedantic community of them all

The people that are the loud jackasses, are people that picked up on the meme, and have a vm of arch, so they can shit post as arch users, youll notice they always have shitty uptime only minutes before asking their question

r8 my shittop

Why are we so dead?

How can I install my nvidia drivers on debian 8 without getting the black screen on reboot? I have read the wiki, and while I understand what is said, I am too scared to try anything bcz I already messed up once. So would any of you kind anons guide on the right steps to install these annoying drivers? I would greatly appreciate it.
Nvidia card is:

>Nvidia Corporation GT218M

Thanks in advance.

Do I need to do any configuration of my SSD on GNU/Linux or is it safe to just install and forget? It won't bombard my SSD with superfluous writes, thinking it's a HDD, will it?

Follow this guide.
linuxconfig.org/nvidia-geforce-driver-installation-on-debian-jessie-linux-8-64bit

That worked for me on a desktop. It shouldn't vary for laptop GPU's, I think.

Also, if you're going to upgrade to testing or sid, you should probably do it now rather than later.

It might be that I was just unlucky, but I had a bad experience installing NVIDIA propietary drivers and then moving to testing afterwards.

But honestly I was kind of dumb at the time so maybe it was just me being scared and not knowing what to do when X didn't start.

TL;DR might be a good idea to upgrade to testing or sid right away and THEN installing video drivers (if you have intention of not using stable). But I admit that's akin to superstition on my part.

I really appreciate your help. But from what I am reading from the comments, they get the black screen as well. Is the black screen a mandatory step? Or is it just them(me) being retards?

Good or bad idea to install a new distro release as soon as it comes out?

Oh goodness. Those comments weren't there when I did a few months ago, I can tell you that much.

I haven't executed the procedure recently, but I can tell you that when I tried it around March everything worked perfectly with that. No "black screen" (X not starting), no kernel errors, nothing of the sort. Just werked.

What I can tell you is that you should backup your personal data in case something goes nuclear (which it really shouldn't, but, you know - just to be on the safe side), and then follow the guide. And google around. Then follow the guide

You're never going to go anywhere if you're "too scared" to touch your system.
Try things, if they dont work, un do them

cut vs. uncut

Uncut. Freedoms. You should be able to choose if you want it uncut or cut

Aight man, I will read a bit more before installing it, to prevent "X" from not starting. Thanks a lot for the page tho, I really do appreciate it.

You are right man, I will do it. I will first do some research, then go balls deep into it. If worst comes to worst, I just need to reinstall debian(oh well).

ubuntuMATE 16.04 master race reporting

What's so great about MATE?

It's GNOME 2, for people that don't want new things

Are you putting your machine to sleep and it's unmounted when you wake the machine up?

Are you lost? You need to take your common sense and level-headed rationality and get the fuck out.

I've been using Rox-term with AwesomeWM and it's been great

roxterm.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=index&lang=en

>if you have anything else, especially just a wm, then use urxvt.

Why? You can't even give any sane reasons, because you're an idiot parroting meme and myth "knowledge". You can use any terminal emulator within any environment.

>is apparently an i3 user which implies has is beyond the "distributions are what you can see (looks)" mindset
>still asks that stupid question instead of just installing the desired environment on an ubuntu net-install

this

"elite" linux users

btw,

If I only plan on running one (let's really stretch it and say 2?) operating system, 100 MB on my EFI partition and 100 MB on my /boot partition with Ext2 file system is perfectly reasonable, right?

can you install packages through your .emacs config somehow?
i.e i want to make a config file i can copy paste between computers without having to worry about downloading the right addons

btrfs on debian for separate drives?

>14.04 on my mac
>black screen bc graphic cards fuckup
>tried lots of stuff, but shit just boots to a black screen
>gonna reinstall tomorrow

Hey guys, I'm trying out i3 on my Debian desktop. GNOME is my main DE here.

I have exclusively i3 on my laptop

I tried changing the icon pictures with lxappearance to Moka, which worked beautifully on my laptop - but on my desktop which also has GNOME installed, a few folder icons are still the ugly GNOME brown look. Why is that, and how can I fix it?

Rather disconcerting to have my laptop looking really nice and my desktop looking so awful

What do?
Stock tipper 24 XFCE

You need to log out and log in again.

I already did

Every mainstream terminal emulator is stable. You should consider getting a integrity and your own opinions instead of just using everything that's "g approved".

Why are you using lxappearance instead of the GNOME tweak tool or however it's called to change the settings?
GNOME stores some of its settings in dconf and lxappearance won't touch those.

Try this:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme 'Moka'

What is your favorite tiling window manager, and why? What makes it distinct to other tiling WM's?

No sir, I think you're misunderstanding me

I am on my desktop, using i3. It also has GNOME installed, but I am not logged into it.

I am using lxappearance to change to the Icon theme "Moka", which works 100% on my laptop which only has i3 installed.

But on this desktop, there are some folder icons that are still GNOME, despite me having selected Moka on lxappearance WHILE logged into i3. This persists through reboots. It is to be expected that gnome-tweak-tools doesn't affect my i3 session nor my lxappearance affects my GNOME session. But why are GNOME icons appearing in my i3 when lxappearance is supposed to be using Moka only?

Also: did you install the Faba icons? Moka doesn't have the directory or MIME type icons. It only has application icons.

>Faba is was designed with simplicity and compliance to icon standards in mind. Its purpose is to serve as a base icon theme to other themes (such as Moka). As such, Faba is only comprised of minimal set of icons for the system, select apps, folders, mimetypes, toolbars, etc.
snwh.org/moka

>nor my lxappearance affects my GNOME session
Actually, I think lxappearance would affect GNOME, but only the GTK theme and icons. Your issue is most likely that you didn't install the accompanying Faba icon pack responsible for directory icons. Since it has no Faba theme to inherit, it's falling back to the Adwaita icons.

Nevermind, this fixed my problem
I guess it was simpler than I thought. I must have installed Faba on my laptop as well and forgotten about it

But thank you for your attention

Guys I think I fucked up. At work I use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. We're required to change passwords every 3 months. When I started my job, I encrypted my swap and home partitions.

I changed the login password but that didn't change the decryption passwors. So I found this thread whose instructions I followed:
$ sudo cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda5
> enter old password
> enter new password
$ sudo cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda5
> enter old password

i did $ sudo cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sda5 before and after each step. First I had one key in slot 0, then two different ones in slots 0 and 1 and then one in slot 1 (slot 0 was empty).
But now I can't decrypt the drive with either password. I was super careful typing the new password when changing it and trying to decrypt obviously, so I'm sure it's correct. Any other suggestions?

No, it's running 24/7
Does mount have a log file somewhere?

Should I be concerned that ibus-daemon is in lost and found?

Any other Arch users Firefox no longer show the 'Data Choices' tab after a recent update?

The tab is there but just shows a blank page, no check boxes for the health reports etc

It's a feature(tm).

Ahh, i thought I had goofed somewhere in my config. Why on earth would they remove it? It pains me to think about switching to IceCat/Opera in the near future if Firefox keeps getting worse

Correction: after adding the new key I did sudo cryptsetup removeKey /dev/sda5, obviously.

Pls help I need my pc.

Correction: whatever command I used to remove the old one. You get the idea.

Git gud and use about:config
also:
>even considering opera

Looks like this is the Linux Online Customer Support thread.
Well, Pajeet, I was wondering if you could help me with something;

I'm trying to wrap my head around Linux audio. Would "Applications -> Pulseaudio -> ALSA -> Hardware" be a good way to explain it? I realize it's more complex than that, but what I'm asking is will this enable audio as the average user knows it, i.e "play media/application -> sound comes out". Do I NEED anything else? Do I not need any of the mentioned?
You don't need to spoonfeed me, but any pointers/tips for optimization and minimalism would help a lot. I've looked at a bunch of guides/explanations but they all speak in pretty general terms and there's no help to be found for mouthbreathers like me.

I'm running Openbox on Debian.

Ok, it didn't take me too long to realize that I should look through the installgentoo wiki, and I found dmix.

Thanks for the help, everyone :^)

I never claimed to be an 'elite' user.

This manjaro i3 distro I'm using is my first Linux, I've been using it for a while now. I chose it for screen real estate purposes on my aging, low resolution laptop.

>implying tiling wm is somehow 'elite'

Thanks, dash to dock looks like it'll serve her purposes.

Is it theme-able? Aesthetics are important to her.

Anything in lost + found is cause for concern. What FS, drive model, and how old?

Moron. Of course you can, you are free to do what you like. If you want to download a few gigs of dependencies just to use a particular terminal then go for it.
Why is recommending urxvt parroting a meme about "knowledge"? It's not hard to use or set up. You sound a little bit insecure.

yeah, a little.
Files in lost+found are files that got recovered from bad sectors during fsck

kill yourself

Friendly thread, kid.