What does hacking mean to you, Sup Forums?

What does hacking mean to you, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/articles/on-hacking.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dubs Hacking

Recurring digits

Useless threads made by tech illiterate morons cluttering Sup Forums catalog.

Hacking is hastily programming an ad-hoc solution to a given problem in order to satisfy a short-term need or provide a proof-of-concept.

>what Sup Forums thinks hacking is
>picture of Hideo Kojima, who is widely considered a hack

It's similar to "coding". I immediately think less of anyone who says it.

In June 2000, while visiting Korea, I did a fun hack that clearly illustrates the original and true meaning of the word "hacker".

I went to lunch with some GNU fans, and was sitting down to eat some tteokpaekki (*), when a waitress set down six chopsticks right in front of me. It occurred to me that perhaps these were meant for three people, but it was more amusing to imagine that I was supposed to use all six. I did not know any way to do that, so I realized that if I could come up with a way, it would be a hack. I started thinking. After a few seconds I had an idea.

First I used my left hand to put three chopsticks into my right hand. That was not so hard, though I had to figure out where to put them so that I could control them individually. Then I used my right hand to put the other three chopsticks into my left hand. That was hard, since I had to keep the three chopsticks already in my right hand from falling out. After a couple of tries I got it done.

Then I had to figure out how to use the six chopsticks. That was harder. I did not manage well with the left hand, but I succeeded in manipulating all three in the right hand. After a couple of minutes of practice and adjustment, I managed to pick up a piece of food using three sticks converging on it from three different directions, and put it in my mouth.

It didn't become easy—for practical purposes, using two chopsticks is completely superior. But precisely because using three in one hand is hard and ordinarily never thought of, it has "hack value", as my lunch companions immediately recognized. Playfully doing something difficult, whether useful or not, that is hacking.

I later told the Korea story to a friend in Boston, who proceded to put four chopsticks in one hand and use them as two pairs—picking up two different pieces of food at once, one with each pair. He had topped my hack. Was his action, too, a hack? I think so. Is he therefore a hacker? That depends on how much he likes to hack.

This was written by stallman, right?

no, I wrote it

hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack

stallman.org/articles/on-hacking.html

Hacks are nifty solutions. Hacking is the act of making them.

>stealing chopsticks from your fans
fucking cia nigger

>a waitress set down six chopsticks right in front of me. It occurred to me that perhaps these were meant for three people, but it was more amusing to imagine that I was supposed to use all six
No fatso, you were just occupying three seats.

I'm adding nifty solutions to my vocabulary. I want to deter all hot women from approaching me

/thread

You mean being a productive member of a software development team.

hot women don't approach guys so you're on your way

People want to listen to this guy at conferences. This is the stuff he will interject with and they honestly think he's sane.

modding video games

Is there a joke I'm missing in the MIT one?

GW ai

This. Pretty sure MIT thinks hacking is "I'll go places on campus I'm not allowed, possibly to pull some ebin pranks"

no it is implying that all mit students are self-serving psychopaths and that is funny

hacking is programming for fun

that's all it is

hackers are people who "get it" and don't see programming as a trade or a job, but something to do great things with

Oh kek