Also;
OPUS>Vorbis>Wavpack hybrid>Musepack>mp3 LAME>AAC

Other urls found in this thread:

tapeandmedia.com/lto-6-tape-media-tapes.asp
tapeandmedia.com/tape_backup_drives.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

umad?

obus 128 is bedder :DDD

Yeah, I plan on getting .flac files for allmy music when possible,get a tape drive and store those lossless sons of bitches on there for posterity, meanwhile, having converted them all into the SUPERIOR LOSSY FORMAT OPUS, enjoy my tunes at low file sizes + high fidelity at home or on the go forever.

Praise FOSS. Death to proprietary formats.

>tape drive
FWP?

Tape storage is both cheaper than and more expansive than HDD storage at the moment. You can get 2.5 TB of data for ~$60 from LTO tapes. As well, it has a low risk of degredation in most conditions versus other formats like optical or SSD or HDD. They keep for decades at least, no data loss. Perfect for archive storage.

tapeandmedia.com/lto-6-tape-media-tapes.asp

opus>aac>mp3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else

Oh wow,I didn't know tape storage was so good these days.

Then again my last tape experience was all analogue VHS and cassettes :/

>Mp3
>better than vorbis and wavpack

You bigman4u'd my friend

mp3 should die already, it's 2016.

>but muh compatibility
stopped being an issue in 2015

mp3 is supported on every device I can think of, aac is the second most supported format from experience.

the fucking psp can play aac

>psp

What about Speex?

Opus>AAC>MP3, at all bitrates. Prove me wrong.

Shit's old, deprecated by Opus.

rockbox has supported opus for ages, and there are many music players for android with opus support

>current year.
>not having reacquired your collection in 24bit lossless.

why even live ?

You'd have to listen to music at unhealthy volumes to notice the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit.

he's a big guy

>opus
>needing to upconvert the sampling
>good

>You'd have to listen to music at unhealthy volumes to notice the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit.
actually, you'd just have to be using an amp and speakers that are compressing the high end. That is, most of them. 16 or 24 bit in, but 13-bit effective (or less) out.

you know what your DAC is doing, right....?

so besides my DAC doing it, I have to upsample it yet again with opus?

Uh, resampling is happening all over the place in the hardware chain. That's fine because it's harmless. You might as well be worrying about ghosts and aliens affecting your audio.

the effects of that are literally inaudible

why would you give a shit about that when you're using a [lossy] codec with a low pass filter at 20KHz?

Can Opus use a higher bitrate for music and a lower bitrate for speech?

Let's say that I'm encoding 30 minutes of audio from a talk show. First 25 minutes are speech, last 5 minutes are music. If I encode it all at 32kbps, the first 25 will sound good while the last 5 will sound like shit. If I encode it at 160 vbr, the first 25 minutes will be around 100-120kbps, pretty wasteful. How can I use both? (32 vbr for the first 25 minutes, 160 vbr for the last 5 minutes)

yes. Use vbr mode.

That was my point.

I want a lower bitrate for speech

How do you know the source is 24bit in the first place? Not counting vinyl rips.

I wanted to put all my music on my phone in Opus but my player won't import Opus into its library.

Had to settle for Vorbis @ 160kbps. I can't tell a difference 2bh and I saved ~15 GB over my previous MP3 V0s.

Correction: one can get 2.5TB worth of (uncompressed) data for ~$30 with tapes.

It depends on what you need done. Enterprise uses tapes because they are cheap, long lasting, and store a shitload of data. A consumer would use the tapes for backups and some archives. The downside is that transferring data is much slower compared to SSD and HDD, so you wouldn't use it as an external drive from which you can run programs and view files and what not. The tape drives (the machines that make the tapes themselves usable) are fairly expensive, however.

tapeandmedia.com/tape_backup_drives.asp

The kind of tapes you'd want require a drive that'd cost at least $2000 from this site.

Ogg Vorbis beats .mp3 and because it's been around for nigh 15 years, it has a decently wide range of support. Vorbis has a list of players that support vorbis out of the box on their wiki.

Opus is freetard tier and for some reason device manufactures just love paying royalties—not only is the public ignorant of its existence, but manufacturers also thereby have no reason to try implementing support for it into their hardware/software.

I thought quality and not the level of support was the measure of greatness here. Don't be dumb.

Can't.

I like the picture. Very good.

Yeah no, AAC is better than mp3.

you could encode the speech portion and music portion seperately and concatenate them
pic related, i encoded the first minute at 24k, and the rest at 112k

the moment there's an non-rockboxed sandisk player or similar (that isn't an smartphone), i'll get it & start transcoding to opus instead of ogg

Shit, I might grab some of these.

>What about Speex?

Already replaced by Opus

I honestly wish the audio codec discussion was not infested with people like you, who seriously think that any of that fucking matters. Just use mp3, it's more than good enough for everything and has wide support. If you want to go with lossless, just use FLAC, that's it.

But no, you fags need to think you are all right, so all torrent sites are swamped with shitty stuff like vorbis, opus, wavpack, ape, monkey's audio, optimfrog and whatever the fuck else exists for whatever shitty reason.

It's nice how cheap these tapes are, but holy shit, the drives themselves are mad expensive. I could build a server with plenty of storage for that money.

>this faggot has a device that can't play vorbis (but doesn't complain about having both mp3 and aac)
>this retard thinks that people use opus on any torrent site

>I honestly wish the audio codec discussion was not infested with people like you, who seriously think that any of that fucking matters. Just use mp3, it's more than good enough for everything and has wide support.
Yeah, and you know what else I hate? Fucking assholes in car threads talking about cars. All you need is a goddamned VW Beetle, it's more than good enough for everything and has wide support. If you want something special, you can treat yourself to a goddamned Ford, that's it.
But no, you fags need to think you are all right, buying Teslas and Jaguars and whatever the fuck else exists for whatever shitty reason.

Hopefully you're still here.
Used drives from previous generations of LTO can be gotten real cheap on Ebay. I'm talking costing 3 times less, sub 500$. Select the generation with the most optimal parameters and cost of a used drive and buy one. The drives are very sturdy.

Doesn't vinyl have a dynamic range equivalent to 12 bit audio or something?

>not using flac
wew lad

OPUS
>Best lossy performance
>Somewhat obscure

AAC
>Pertty good lossy performance
>Supported by some things

MP3
>Okay lossy performance
>Supported by anything and your mom

Is this Vorbis all over again?

opus sounds better to me than FLAC

I'm still here, I'll go look them up. I don't buy used consumer stuff, but maybe I'll have better luck with the scraps of the enterprise.