Linux for normies

okay, so I bought the IdeaPad Y700 (because fuck ThinkPads, and fuck MacBooks), but I'm an OS X user (The Y700 is replacing my shitty 2009 - 2010 white unibody MacBook with Yosemite), and I can't bloody stand Windows AT ALL.

I used to use Linux before I got a MacBook, but it's been so long, I've been thrown out of it, I know shit about Linux now. Last time I used Linux, I remember either always using Debian, Fedora or Ubuntu, but all of those distros has seemingly gone to complete shit

So, what's a good Linux distro that's fast and doesn't have a WM that looks like something that was discarded in the 90's, like Gnome, Cinnamon, XFCE (is it still deprecated? What the fuck), etc.

pic related, best version of Ubuntu

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxmint.com/release.php?id=23
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>because fuck ThinkPads

I'm a normie and someone recommended me to try mint. As a normie, I liked the experience. Still sticking to windows 7 currently.
>muh gayms
are the bane of my existence. I would have switched a long time ago if it wasn't for shit gaming support on linux platforms.

>a WM that looks like something that was discarded in the 90's
You can rice out any DE/WM you want

mine Y700 will come tomorrow, I will put win 10 and ubuntu 16.04 on it. need wangblows for uni (muh photoshop and illustrator) and gaymin. using ubuntu since ~3 years, comfy af, using i3wm now but you can install any WM/DE on it so your choice

Get Linux Mint. Use Rebecca if you are reluctant to try out Sarah.

I like the Cinnamon 64-bit version, but if you have 32-bit you need to download that one instead.

linuxmint.com/release.php?id=23

Personally I use Antergos on my work laptop. It's easy and fast to install and you can choose whatever DM you want before the install.
No issues with it so far (For the last 6 months of use anyhow). KDE works really well with Antergos from my experience.

ThinkPads are horribly expensive for what they are, considering it's not much extra to buy a decent IdeaPad - besides, the fucking mouse clit has annoyed me for almost 20 consistent fucking years
I don't play many games, and Windows fucking annoys me to be honest, and Mint is kinda eh
I really don't like Ubuntu anymore, I've had nothing but trouble with it, but in general I'm not a huge fan of Debian anymore. RIP Ian though.
I have a 64 bit, but honestly I'm not sure about Mint.
Been eyeballing Antergos, but I think if I'm going for an Arch-based distro, I'll install Arch itself, honestly.

I have been considering Zorin Linux too, but yeah, I've lost my Linux game

>pic related, best version of Ubuntu
that's not 8.04

>decent
>gaymen laptop
Pick one

>Considering it's not much extra to buy a decent IdeaPad
>IdeaPad
>Decent
>Better than ThinkPad
>Literal Israeli rootkits
>Gaymen
>Consumer tier shit
You're better off buying a mass market normie laptop than a shitty IdeaPad.

Man that old Ubuntu wallpaper gives me nostalgia. My first Linux distro.

Sister, install centOS seriously. You type "yum" for the package manager, so it's so easy to type.

I'm a Linux idiot, but using gnome and figuring things out has been a pretty smooth experience. You can always go deep into tweaking your desktop with kde or some tiling manager, but gnome is easy out of the box with its window key functions (showing all desktops and allowing you to immediately type a search for a file or program).

CentOS is based off of fedora. There is a fair amount of CentOS/yum specific documentation.

Look at digitalocean and use a promo code (try "heresthething") to get access to a virtual machine for a month. They give you a number of different distros to try and documentation that helps you understand how they work

>ThinkPads are horribly expensive for what they are
What, Thinkpads have tons of features.
>Replaceable battery
>Replaceable keyboard
>Replaceable Wi-Fi
>Replaceable optical drive, even with a HDD caddy
>Replaceable RAM
>Replaceable HDD
>Spill-proof keyboard
>Magnesium frame to keep the body in place during stress
>Keyboards and batteries go between models so it's easier to find a replacement

Elementary OS, seriously check it out.

Solus is pretty cool.
Sabayon is too.
Ubuntu has improved.
Arch/Arch based is fun.
I won't comment on DE/WM's, I only use Gnome and i3 for a while now.

>everything is replacable

Yeah, or you can replace the whole laptop with something that isn't shit.

Sup Forums noob here,

Ended up acquiring a Thinkpad from someone who was upgrading. (Thinkpad W530, i7)

What's so bad about Lenovo and the Thinkpads?

I've heard nothing but horrible things about them.

Just curious.

There's nothing horrible about them, but manufacturers won't get any money if you buy a used laptop. That's why shills try to stop you from doing that as much as they can.

You are supposed to buy an Apple laptop with maxed out soldered everything, so you never give your money to anyone else even by accident. Just shut up and spend like a good goy, it's the best one on the market anyway, trust us. It's so portable that you can even get a trendy white utility belt to hold all your adapters.

I can't tell if you're being genuinely helpful, or just being an asshole.

So, I'll just got with option number 2.

Also why would I even consider buying anything
Apple?

I've watched people build lower priced Apple
machines for a fraction of what any MacBook or Mac would cost.

Learn to read you idiot, it changed tone halfway into sarcastic one. How could you possibly miss that?

I guess your sarcasm level is too much for me.

Too much Sup Forums, my bad.

> games are the bane of my existence
Stop the planet please, I wanna leave

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Use Debian, its as normie level as Ubuntu, just less shit.

I used to be like you my oniichan, but i grew to learn how solid Mac can be.

Mac has the best touchpad (i personally use an x200, which only has a trackpoint).

Mac literally had the best battery because of a design patent they have on lithium ion batteries. They make the batteries taller and more thin, so that the battery cells (imagine a spreadsheet column that has pockets of lithium that go through a chemical reaction when discharging, & then the cell turns into nickel: this happens between 2 cells at a time) have less surface area for the chemical reaction, resulting in a cooler burning and more efficient battery.

I'm not a chemist. I'm not that smart. I just have a vague concept of how it works, so i might be wrong. Can't deny that sleep mode power though, on my SO's 2012 mac.

I wrote the post about centos. I run it on a ThinkPad. It's great. Choose whatever Linux or bsd you want after reading about the package managers. Read about different desktop environments. It's all good and you can make it whatever you want. It's a fun trip.

I refurbished my x200 with a new mobo, affs lcd, and everything else. It's great. Just got a docking station for $20. Do it

>the fucking mouse clit has annoyed me for almost 20 consistent fucking years
Best goddamn part...

Ubuntu mate

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.