WHAT DO WE DO!!!!!! 1070 IS KILL!!!!!!!

WHAT DO WE DO!!!!!! 1070 IS KILL!!!!!!!

guru3d.com/news_story/new_patch_brings_vulkan_support_to_doom.html

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AMD STOP STOP STOP STOPPPP!!!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

legitreviews.com/doom-gets-vulkan-implementation_183882
guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=21951
youtube.com/watch?v=nloRGBdkOeM
guru3d.com/news-story/new-patch-brings-vulkan-support-to-doom.html
youtube.com/watch?v=uxnFv8cnjZA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>1% gains from vulkan
what the fuck nvidia

VULKAN WAS SUPPOSE TO BE OURS

FUCK THIS RETURNING THIS SHIT AND GETTING A RX 480

What? No gains
It lost performance vs OGL

>gains
I mean if you look it loses some frames moving to Vulkan. lel novidya, I guess I can get a 480 after all.

Nvidia can't do async compute properly

These cards are gonna be shitty for future games

irresponsible amount of NO GAINS

Nvidia can't into DX12 and Vulkan

>VULKAN WAS SUPPOSE TO BE OURS
Said who? The AMDfags have been chanting this for what feels like centuries now.
>Oh yeah? Well just wait for vulkan and dx12 and stuff! We'll show you!
>They're mantle, just wait and see!
>W-w-we'll get the last laugh ;_;
Alright, you were right you fuckers. Do your victory dance so we can be done with this shit.

D-drivers will fix it.

>Nvidia cards can't into new technologies

This isn't news. They're designed to the strengths of the most popular API at the time and ignore everything else. That's why they age like milk left out in the sun.

DELETE THIS

Some other sites are showing even bigger gains for the 480.

legitreviews.com/doom-gets-vulkan-implementation_183882

Waiting finally paid off, guys. Nvidia are done.

>AMD wins again
It's not really shocking. We always win, eventually.

>rx 480 gets 10 more fps than the 1070 at 1080p

Not getting a 250$ aib 480 with 90% the 1070 performance it's like you like getting railed

Now release a single card that competes with the top end and maybe people will actually buy AMD products again and the market can have some competition.

I've waited 5 months but it's finally here, I finally get this play this game on my favorite api.

-said no one ever

Holy shit. Savage.

Vulkan (like DX12) needs Async Compute capable hardware to make better use of the GPU
Also Nvidia's OpenGL drivers are highly optimized

>115-150=10
I don't see how you could have possibly made this mistake.

You're reading the graph wrong. Look at the text before you make an idiot of yourself again.

We warned you guys about the lack of full hardware async compute support on nvidiot cards.

Just played the final two levels of Doom with Vulkan enabled. I have a old Radeon 7850 1gb which could somewhat manage the game at 1080p at low graphic settings.
With Vulkan I managed to bump it up to medium graphics with some added bells and whistles and got between 40-60fps. Thats a MASSIVE improvement.

What you're seeing is the same thing that occurred with DX11 to DX12. Nvidia's cards are already performing where they are supposed to be even under OpenGL. AMD's weren't. A 980 beat a Fury X in OpenGL.

guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=21951

This discussion comes up with every new DX12/Vulkan title. Just because one company is seeing massive gains doesn't mean the other company has something wrong.

1080p on ultra the RX 480 was pulling 98/99 fps average with whatever the default is for D44M according to a lot of benches. Now under Vulkan its a ballhair short of 120fps average.

Pretty impressive gains.

Getting a mere gain of thirty fps for a 250$ card

bu-but

nvidia dx12_1 support!

what do mean? nvidia lied? AGAIN?

DUDE GRAPHICS CARDS LMAO XXDDDDD

The whole DX12 feature levels was just tech illiterate retards running amok. The levels aren't even "levels" they're categories, and higher isn't necessarily better. All they describe is whether certain features are implemented via hardware, or handled in software.

All of the
>hurr durr Nvidia is better 12_1 true DX12 durrr
was super cringey bullshit not even remotely accurate

I was about to post this...some guy was on here saying that shit like 4 days ago. Said AMD is not up to spec with DX12

Originally Posted by id
Does DOOM support asynchronous compute when running on the Vulkan API?
Asynchronous compute is a feature that provides additional performance gains on top of the baseline id Tech 6 Vulkan feature set.
Currently asynchronous compute is only supported on AMD GPUs and requires DOOM Vulkan supported drivers to run. We are working with NVIDIA to enable asynchronous compute in Vulkan on NVIDIA GPUs. We hope to have an update soon

AMDead
M
D
e
a
d

i know lol its funny how they suddenly changed it back in december and no one said anything lol

NVIDIOTS BTFO AND ON SUICIDE WATCH

>working with NVIDIA to enable asynchronous compute

lol

This just proves how AMD sucks with drivers.
They really need to rewrite the whole DX11\OGL part of the driver.
It should be easier now since they maintain only GCN and I think Cayman is still on life support but not for long.

Nvidia STILL can't into asynchronous compute? Fuck me. I still have 5 days to return my 1070 for a full refund... seriously considering it right now.

the only way you gonna see async

It really has nothing to do with drivers, you tech-illiterate little butterball. OpenGL and DX11 literally can't take advantage of AMD's Asynchronous Compute Engines, which is where a huge chunk of their performance is hidden. It's not possible to fix that via a driver. These cards were designed from the ground up with DX12 and Vulcan in mind, even though they didn't exist at the time (hence we got Mantle as a stopgap). Nothing AMD can do will ever bring their DX11 and OpenGL performance anywhere near these levels.

>They really need to rewrite the whole DX11\OGL part of the driver.
Fucking why? Those will be irrelevant going forward.

asynchronous compute won't show up on nvidia cards until volta, and volta has been delayed until 2018

What good DX11 game came out this year? What good DX11 game is expected to be coming out?

Prove that you have one.

They can, and in linux, in some games the open source driver actually outperforms the proprietary one by 50% or more.
I would rather they focus on Dx12 and vulkan performance, as well as developing tools and resources for devs to work with.

>hence we got Mantle as a stopgap
To be fair to AMD, it wasn't a stopgap. They played a long, strategic game and somehow won with what was arguably a losing hand. Let's see if that means they can avoid having to fold in the coming rounds.

Sorry, that metaphor was so strained that it was physically painful to type.

Even so, the GTX 1070 is still faster than the RX 480.

I'm glad that AMD got a performance boost.

>tfw waiting for 3rd party Radeon 480 with proper cooling and 8 pin power plug.

Sure. What do I do, lads?

Isn't Vulkan an AMD technology ? If so it's not surprising.

GTX 1070 in the UK is almost twice the cost of RX 480. Scan has it on for £400+ and I can get a 380 for £215.

get it back and get a 480 and then be baptised by ed
youtube.com/watch?v=nloRGBdkOeM

>They can

No, they can't. DX11 and OpenGL cannot use the ACEs, so will never come close to the extra performance gained from utilizing them. AMD's Linux drivers being absolute shit is a completely seperate issue.

Send it back. Seriously.

It has to go back

its a open standard, even google is going to support it on their anpoors

its still around 40% worse then nvidia? okey, I get it the rx480 is better perf / $ because if the pricing was to scale it should have been 50% or so but still, we all know that you get dimishing returns at the high end.

Is your display 144hz? If yes then keep the 1070, if not then get a new display or send the 1070 back and get a 480.

1070 is terrible card anyway. if it actually sold for 380 dollars like promised then it'd be pretty good but as of now either get 480 as budget card or go all the way to the deep end with 1080 and 1440p/4K.

Who gives a fuck about AC? What you gona do? The 1070 is still faster than all AMD cards and Nvidia dominating.

>open standard

Then, Nvidia needs to work on it. If the 480 can reach 80% of the 1070 performance at half the price, they will now have real competition. And now, the 1060 is beaten by the 480.

OP here, I will be honest. I would keep it the RX480 wont be able to preform as well at the 1070 even with DX12, it's just preforming well in its own area. Unless someone can prove me wrong? But the RX is quite a beast for $250 if the conditions are right, that being Vulkan/DX12 and proper development.

>buying a slower card because it support XYZ feature in 0.001% of the games

Good work Sup Forums

>1060
hO shit I forgot about that fucker! Let me laugh louder!! AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>came out this year
Dark Souls 3
>expected to be coming out
Space Hulk: Deathwing

if 480 is reaching the 80% of a gameworks game then there is no hope
period

Nvidia is on the fucking board of directors for Khronos group and is generally more involved. AMD donated the mantle API to Khronos and Microsoft to be implemented into Vulkan and DX12.

>They really need to rewrite the whole DX11\OGL part of the driver.

we need moar gimpworks. full steam ahead. gimp it harder. we outta rewrite the entire from ground up again.

Vulkan is shit to be honest, you should go with DirectX12™

I don't believe you

>Dark souls 3
>The fourth game in a series of very samey games that people are kind of getting tired of, of which three have been very badly ported to PC
>Space Hulk: Deathwing
>Part of the flood of 40k games being released because Games Workshop decided they really didn't care any more and gave their rights away like a charity hooker
Yeah, not that guy but he said *good* games.

Nice fake, here is some real data guru3d.com/news-story/new-patch-brings-vulkan-support-to-doom.html

Nvidia's OGL drivers are multi-threaded while AMD's aren't
BIG SURPRISE IT RUNS SAME!

This link we posted by OP, the other guys was just saying he seen other things on another site.

You make it sound like nvidia/amd should rewrite their dx9 drivers because a lot of indie games/mmo still use them. No one's gonna do shit about old tech.

>Two sites have slightly different data
>That must mean that one is a fake
I struggle to follow your logic.
I looked into Space Hulk: Unnecessary colon. It's using the unreal engine so it's going to be DX12/Vulkan too.

i love him, this show is more entertaining than any nvidia announcement

They can still optimize though.

>losing hand
>owns the console market with that hand
Fanboy or not, you have to admit it's going exactly as they planned it.

>1070 IS KILL
not really, but the 1060 is

UE4 supports dx12.

I wouldn't send it back, but If you need better cpu/ram/other shit, then go ahead and put the funds into those instead.

>we
You're fanboy trash unless you actually work for AMD.

>tfw didn't fall for the GTX 1070 meme

Feels good desu. Got me my R9 390X for $250 CAD.

Let's imagine that chip performance scales with chip size at a factor of about 75%
AMD currently has a 230mm chip and the 1070 is a (cut down) 320mm chip, 40% larger
40% at a 75% scaling rate is 30%

With these Vulkan scores, comparing only Guru3D's results, a 40% larger GCN4 chip could get about 116 * 1.3 = 150FPS, shocker, the same score as a 1070
The good news for you is that AMD's Vega chip is going to be a bit larger than 320mm, and considering Polaris' power draw 350mm2 (150 * 1.5 = 225w TDP) is the most likely size.

1080 killer? No, but it could slot in between the 1080 and 1070 in performance. Let's hope all vega chips use at the least GDDR5X, and at the high end HBM2, to control for some of that power use.

>Fanboy or not, you have to admit it's going exactly as they planned it.
I will happily admit to being an AMD fanboy. I'm typing this on a ULV trinity laptop that I use to do steam in home streaming from my a10 7850k desktop. That replaced my athlon x2 245/ HD7750 build. I am a massive fanboy.

But before they got the consoles, there's no denying that they were in a tight spot. Mantle was used to incredible effect, essentially bringing them back from the dead. Now they have a real chance to get some proper market share.

There's only so much you can do with software if you don't have the proper hardware for it. It's like trying to play a ps2 game on a pc. You can emulate it with software, but you're gonna need a way better pc than a ps2 and it still won't run perfect.

#rekt

vega wont even compete with 1080 in the first place...
its about to compete with volta
1080/70 will be DOA by 2017

That is some wishful thinking, I'm an AMD fanboy but come on history is not on their side.

This slide is from a AMD conference today. They still show HBM2...do you think they can still switch it to GDDR5X for 2017? I'm thinking they might be going all the way wtih HBM?

dont know 480 is pretty much spot on where they said...

and vega having 15 to 18 billion transistors as per amd well it wont even be close to begin with..

but im a girl

What CPU does this bench use?

Vulkan's benefit is from reducing CPU load. If the CPU is badass and never chugged to begin with then of course there is no benefit. Doom is a heavily GPU bound game. I'm running full 60FPS on max settings on a fucking Phenom II X4

It'd be a waste to switch out the 1070 for the RX 480. I have no preference between AMD and Nvidia, I just like whatever's best for my budget. The GTX 1070 is better than the RX 480 and it's silly idea to think otherwise. I love the 480, I'm overjoyed that there's a new great budget GPU out there. But the 1070 simply performs better, it's a higher end card. That's all there is to it. The RX 480 might get more out of Vulkan than the 1070, according to these benchmarks, but the 1070 still outperforms the 480. You do you man. But personally I'd stick with what you have already. Also from my experience Sup Forums isn't always the best place to go in for advice, to much biased opinions and all that.

>AMD wins again
>performance overall is less than the Nvidia
What?

All this is showing is that AMD is less restrained by their shitty drivers thanks to Vulkan and shows that Nvidia was never restrained by shitty drivers to begin with

Vulkan also benefits from other GPU side things. You cant do async on dx11 or opengl 4.5

>performance overall is less than the Nvidia
For little over half the price, with a significantly smaller chip.

no nvidia card will be better.. because having more fps doesnt mean squat
youtube.com/watch?v=uxnFv8cnjZA

There've been rumors of a "low end" and a "high end" 2-chip-each Vega set and while I don't believe AMD has the budget for four products in the upper range the lower end most definitely couldn't have HBM2 due to supply and yield issues.

Having said that I really do hope AMD has a >350mm Vega chip and a >450mm Vega chip because it would attack Nvidia's market segmentation very very well

Apparently async is still disabled in Doom for nvidia cards even o nVulkan