Building a PC is too hard

hardware.slashdot.org/story/16/07/11/201235/pc-gaming-is-still-way-too-hard

>11 year old kid phones up Louis Rossman the electronic board repair guy and gives him a fluent and logical diagnosis of what's wrong with his own motherboard, citing components and pathways and everything he learned from the board repair YT videos, in a way that a lot of tech field workers and graduated tech students don't have the mental capacity to do

>meanwhile, this grown up retard who has the mental capacity beneath an 11 year old finds it too hard to take a day off to google up how to build a desktop computer, and google up some basic articles that overview what each hardware component does, how they interact, and what too look for when buying your gaymer Lego Blocks to assemble

I-w- what?

>Have an unreasonable amount of disposable income.
>$800, 1/3rd the monthly salary of a hotel cleaner in Las Vegas
>unreasonable amount

>Have an unreasonable amount of time to research, shop around, and assemble parts for your computer.
computer.howstuffworks.com/inside-computer.htm
newbcomputerbuild.com/newb-computer-build/how-to-build-a-gaming-pc-2016-step-by-step-guide/
logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/
+
random YouTube video explaining to you how to assemble lego blocks
>a few hours of effort to learn something that will last you a lifetime in various ways
>unreasonable amount of time

W-w-what? Does this guy have the brain of a pig?

>W-w-what? Does this guy have the brain of a pig?
In defense of Mr. Pig-Brain, the manuals that come with hardware these days (or at least all the ones I've seen) are poorly written. Although, it's still a poor excuse when you consider the number of guides and tutorials on the internet.

it's not as easy as some of you fags would have complete newbs on the subject believe it is

there is plenty of research that should be done before assembling your own system - especially if you want to keep a good price/ performance ratio

also nobody warned me of just how fucking awful installing the CPU unto the motherboard was going to sound and feel like

Who's have thought you'd need to put time and money into a hobby?

>also nobody warned me of just how fucking awful installing the CPU unto the motherboard was going to sound and feel like
Idk, dude. It's pretty obvious that it's not going to get crushed if it's sitting nicely in its socket.

Disagree. It was absolute terrifying for me as well. Felt like something was going to crack.

If you read some guides like normal people you'd know LGA (and sometimes PGA) CPUs make nasty noises when you insert them.

>not examining the mechanism first to figure out how it operates and realising that it's perfectly safe
Your own fault.

>1/3 the monthly salary of a hotel cleaner in Las Vegas
Now i dont live in murrica but isnt Las Vegas expensive to live in unless you want to be in some 3rd world ghetto where you have to fear for your live every day.
So for those people if there is a cheaper option its the much better choice, instead of getting shot.

Hes not wrong. I hold a similar opinion myself. I've bassically rebuilt my pc 3 times now and next time I want to get something prebuilt. The hassle is just too much to deal with when you start out and I sympathize with the author completley. I've known idiots who've put pcs together, its not a capacity of intelligence that is required. Its more akin to willpower abd endurance. It takes time and effort to learn everything required leading up to building a pc. Everyone's first time is nerve-wracking. Everyone has a heart attack when their 2000$ computer doesn't post. Now that I've done it I can safely say that while it was worth the effort, the barrier to entry is to great for most. Maybe thats a good thing. Maybe it keeps out the type of people common in console gaming. Whatever the case this man states his argument clearly and precisely, and brings up many good points to go along with it, points that we all understand and relate to. And in the end hes right, its the same opinion I've held for years and will continue to, regardless of if I ever read this.

I'll give you a 2/10

The only problem is to match the CPU and the socket before you made the purchase and pick a powerful enough PSU. The rest is pretty standard nowadays.

>The only problem is to match the CPU and the socket before you made the purchase and pick a powerful enough PSU.
and match RAM to Mobo.
and match GPU to Display & Mobo.
and match HDDs/etc to Mobo & Case.
and match HSF to CPU.
and, best of all, match all of that to viable drivers in your OS

>and match GPU to Display & Mobo.
What?

There are multiple versions of PCI express, this is especialyl relevant when using multiple GPU.

For example, you might buy 2-4 GPU but get shafted because your Mobo only supports one at 3.0 and 16x.

Same issue with video connectors, if you have DVI DUAL monitor but HDMI or Displayport only GPU, you will never connect it.

Fucking what? You legitimately have to be a complete fucking retard to think building a PC is 'difficult'

lol wtf
just by lurking around Sup Forums for abit over the last month hast taught me very much about how to manage all the components in my pc and what suits my rig the best and airflow and whatnot. and this site is completely unfiltered. what an idiot

>There are multiple versions of PCI express, this is especialyl relevant when using multiple GPU.
Most GPU except for ultra highend cant cap out PCI Express 2.0, and you pretty much can't even buy PCI Express 2.0 equipped motherboards anymore. Shits (relitivly) old. Everything that is sold is 3.0 anymore.

Also, I doubt someone building their first gaming PC is going to get a SLI/Crossfire setup.

Shit is none issues.

What are you even saying?

Ignorance is a double-edged sword. Some people think things are easier than they are, and other people think they're harder. Lots of people assume because it's a computer it must be really technical, and totally beyond them.
There's also the (largely accurate depending on your demands) sentiment that keeping a gaming PC in a condition where it's good at running new games will cost you a lot.
On top of that there's the (mostly accurate) sentiment that it's really fucking boring to comparison shop computer parts.

You don't need to spend $2000 to get a relevant gaming machine, this guy is retarded. Assembling the entire machine is a little complicated your first couple times around but what else do you expect?

faggot probably cant change a tire or check his oil without someone holding his hand either.

You guys spend half of your day masturbating for your computer, of course you will find easy. It is like when normies say like 'just bee urself dude xD', if you have no idea what are you doing is terrifying.

I have been playing on pc for 7 years and just last year I start to learn about parts and compability. There are so many codes, parts, brands, specifications, technical terms, etc. Also, it didn't help the fact that people always told me that I could burn the components if I didn't had some anti static protection. Imagining spending 500usd and burning everything because you touched.

>There are so many codes, parts, brands, specifications, technical terms

There's a whole whooping 11 main parts of a computer.
1 of those is a monitor, much akin to a TV, which even a 50 year old fucking dad can explain the workings of.
2nd of those is an optical drive. Which has no terms or comparisons needed, and only requires you to pick a fucking DVD drive with the toss of a coin. If you own a car and have ever plugged a radio/disc front into the radio case, you will know how to do it.
3rd and 4th fans and cooling, which also don't require any explanation and can be done with the toss of a coin. If elementary school didn't teach you how ventilators work (which sides blasts air and which side pulls air) and if you don't already know how ventilators work from owning a fucking car, you should just drink a bottle of bleach. The rest is following the guidebook and putting the name of the cooling unit into youtube to see other people stuff it. Guides clearly show where to connect fans on a motherboard.
5th is the case. Again, fucking coin toss or choose according to what you like on first sight.
6th is HDD or SSD. The only relevant terms are money and memory size. But i understand money is too complex of a technical thing for your brain, as is the meaning behind the MB, GB, and TB differences. The connectors for them are universal and standardized these days. Nothing to memorize about them.

We are finally left with 5 other components that actually have some difficulty.
Except they don't since memorizing their traits and how they connect and function is less complex that learning functions in high-school. 80% of the work is done by just viewing clock rate, memory size, core count, wattage.
Did you ever finish high-school you fucking loser?
>Also, it didn't help the fact that people always told me that I could burn the components if I didn't had some anti static protection.
High-school teaches you to touch metal to discharge and ground, dumbfuck.

>powering fans with a SATA cable
What
How would this work?

(((Maiberg)))

>buy parts from local hardware store
>pay the guy $10 to fix it all up

How much does your country charge for assembly of a computer?

I built my first computer when I was 12 with nothing but tutorials I found online which in 2003 was geocities grade websites with pics, sometimes. I knew no one into computers that could provide some guidance, had to do my homework on what parts to buy.

I built my first computer at 15 with only the manuals. It wouldn't post so I took it apart and checked everything was seated right, worked second time. This was before YT tutorials. Building a model aircraft is way harder than building a PC.

I built my first computer for my friends a few months ago. It was as easy as everyone said it would. The problems i had with was putting on the CPU cooler, but that's because i couldnt understand coolermaster's simple guide. A quick google later and i had it on. The other one was that i plugged in the side panel fan into the motherboard that came into the case and turned it on there was smoking from something near the fan header, which didnt happen with the fan unplugged.

This is the generation of playing the victim

Just paint everything as only accessible to rich white males and you can feel better about not being able to follow simple directions

>keeps out the type of people in console gaming

Yeah because you fucking redditors and Sup Forumsermin circlejerking over muh PC master race are soo much more mature and well rounded

Fuck off manchild

I learned that shit in first grade, but that was back on old apple II machines when you could legitimately destroy the computer if you didn't ground yourself. Really, a lot of rituals in building today stem from old issues that have mostly been amended.

Like when installing your cooler, for instance. They always tell you to go around doing 1/2 - 1 turn on each screw until they're all snug. This does help ensure proper seating, and that the Tim gets spread completely. But it mostly stems from back before cpus had integrated heatspreaders and wrenching one side down all at once could actually destroy your chip. But really if you've changed a tire, something like tightening down evenly should be common sense.

If you want more than a slap dash plug it in, and shove the loose cables in a corner build. A lot more than fucking 10$.

This shit passes me off the most, really. Pc is objectively better, yes. But then just earlier today in a thread I seen people who were saying they'd rather just get a console than have a pc not capable of playing games on ultra... Same mentality that if one or 2 games won't run at 60fps on max settings, then your pc can't run that resolution. Which I like to believe that is mostly just shit posting. But I'm sure some people actually believe that horse shit.

>it's not as easy as some of you fags would have complete newbs on the subject believe it is
No, it's not as hard as you people like to circle jerk it up to be. Here's how it went for me.
>be dumb ass
>watching gaymen videos on the jewtube with while with my brother, since he wanted to show me some game he wants
>guy who makes gaymen videos has a video where he shows gaymen rig
>shows his built PC
>this sparks my interest on how to do it
>guy has a video of how to build pc
>watch it
>this seems pretty easy
>watch other videos
>using info from videos, decide to make list of parts
>This pc would of been an awful, unbalanced abortion of a custom computer (high end overclockable i7 with entry level GPU, 500gb HDD, 16gb of RAM, shit power supply, no aftermarket cooler etc.)
>decide to post parts list on Sup Forums
>everyone laughs at how bad it is
>some user posts falcon guide, shows me pcpartpicker
>end up choosing something in my price range, decide to modify it to meet my needs more. Get rid of i7 and replace it with lower end AMD CPU. Replace GPU with something with more power.
>get occupied doing something else, a few weeks pass
>look at build, decide it's too expensive. Modify list so that it will be slightly cheaper.
>get preoccupied with something else again. Continue to shitpost and lurk here and I learn more (that sounds really stupid, I know)
>hear about new GPUs being released, decide to get previous gen high end model for cheap
>get parts
>assemble computer
>I kill the power supply by shorting it when using the wrong screws
>RMA power supply, put new one in correctly, and power up machine
>install digital river copy of windows 7 (lel) and use Daz loader to activate it
>be done
I still have the PC, and it's still to much for my use. It's not lego, but it's not l33t hacker shit either.

when I was 14-15, I put in a random ass GPU that some guy at bestbuy got for me into my shitty storebought PC so that I could play WoW better

At about 17, upgraded everything. I got into more trouble than i thought I would have when changing from a stock cooler to a hyper 212, and thats only because I didn't know how much paste to use.

People who can't into computer building are a worse version of those who can't cook. All you have to do is google search what you need to do.

It's about as complicated as most basic car repairs/maintenance and people have been doing that shit for decades in their garages.

Cars ain't cheap either.

Once Zen comes out AMD should make some kind of PS Neo/XB Scorpio spec gaymen NUC for normies