So I got myself one of these and I'll end up gutting it and making it ATX compatible sometime

So I got myself one of these and I'll end up gutting it and making it ATX compatible sometime.
I just bought it for the case but it turns out it's working perfectly, so before I go ahead and take it apart; are there any neat things you can do on PowerPC OS X?

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/shawnhcorey/howto-boot-apple-powerpcs-from-a-usb-drive-in-open-firmware
forums.macrumors.com/forums/powerpc-macs.145/
tenfourfox.blogspot.com
ppcluddite.blogspot.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you can install gentoo on it

Liked, commented and subscribed to your blog!

Using this Pro 1 1 as my daily driver, it's not without flaws but it's functional. The computer was free and I've only spent ~100 dollars putting hardware into it including the 32gb of ram in the mail.

Mac Pros are Intel though

Not sure what it would be useful for. I just finished repairing an old 2006 Intel Macbook Pro. Might just use it as a shitposting machine. Not sure if I'm going to keep OSX or install Debian. 160GB seems like a fair amount of space to hold all my rare Pepes either way.

I bought a fully functional powermac g5 for $30 from a friend the same purpose

I decided to install linux on it for fun but I get horrible artifacting on the screen because the gpu isnt compatible or something, so I have to use software rendering which fucking blows.

the fact that it has two watercooled PPC cpus is pretty cool.

Those are good machines for shitposting, especially if you've gotten it for free.

>xeon
>powerpc

What particular model do you have? I wouldn't gut it if it was something nice, I think the Intel Mac Pros are better candidates for ATX conversion anyway, more expansion capability and the hardware isn't as special.

I've got a 2 GHz dual-core G5, it's a pretty good runner, some of the fastest affordable non-x86 hardware you can get your hands on, lots of software you can get for them through the Macintosh Garden among others, I mostly use mine for emulation and general putpose stuff like web browsing.

You can also run exotic platforms like MorphOS on them, if you want to try something new.

I got one of these for free a few days ago.
It was running OS X but that felt really slow, so I installed OS 9 instead.
It's my first encounter with OS 9 and I'm liking it so far.
Best things to run on it now are Classilla and Myst.

Slap a cheapo 120GB SSD and 4GB RAM and you have a perfectly capable daily driver unless you Sup Forums

i have a dual core ppc g5 powermac with 2 500gb ssd's 32gb of ecc ram and its running freebsd.

How'd you get 32GB in it? I thought those things maxed out at 16.

not all of them maxed out at 16

apparently they do max at 16 officially but they can take 32GB configs according to upgrade dealers

neat

guess this is the old mac general huh

i really want a 17 inch c2d macbook but they're still pretty expensive

not worth it anymore since macOS Sierra just dropped support. Also not to mention the class action lawsuit against nVidia and the 8600m GT.

It has a 160GB HDD and 4GB of RAM already.

How in the fuck do I make a bootable USB of OS X Tiger, and how in the fuck would I boot from it on this Power Mac G4?

sites.google.com/site/shawnhcorey/howto-boot-apple-powerpcs-from-a-usb-drive-in-open-firmware

I'm the dude with the 2006 MB Pro. I got a 32GB USB flash drive. Went on the pirate bay and torrented OSX 10.7 Lion. Then I used a Windows program called transmac to format the flash drive and write the OSX install DMG to it. After that I just plugged it into the mac and pressed the option key while booting. Went into disk utility and wiped the HDD. Then I installed OSX on it. Sounds complicated but it took me about 45 minutes.

Not uncommon for older Mac hardware to officially max out at whatever was available at the time they first shipped. Higher density memory usually ships long after the release of these things. I had a 68k mac that officially maxed out at something odd like 12MB, but ran fine with 32MB salvaged from old 486 boxes.

You'd be surprised to find out there's a thriving community of people who still use PowerPC Macs as daily drivers. Check out:

forums.macrumors.com/forums/powerpc-macs.145/

tenfourfox.blogspot.com

ppcluddite.blogspot.com

Shame that OS9 has annoying compatibility issues.
Still can't find a way to get WPA working on my powerbook.

I don't know what it is about old macs, they're very interesting to me

Always relevant.

>C'mon bitch, give me some header.

Ebin

Old Mac general? Sweet.

So I have a neat little 12" G4 iBook, which actually runs pretty well, although web browsing is pretty slow. Currently have it dual-booting both Tiger and Leopard, since the former still has Classic support, but the latter has slightly more modern software available. However, I cannot for the life of me get Classic mode working under Tiger. I took an existing System Folder from several sources, including an even older G3 iBook I have lying around, and it refuses to recognize it. I've read something about having to "bless" it, but that never seems to work. Everywhere else I go seems to suggest it should just werk.

Anyone know what's up?

Bootable flash drives are hit and miss with Open Firmware, you're better off with either a CD or a Firewire HDD

They're awesome machines, here's a small part of my collection

>browsing
Are you using TenFourFox? Use NoScript too, it can make a night and day difference.
>Classic
You wouldn't happen to have Tiger on a UFS partition, would you?

Didn't think about using NoScript. I'll give that a try. I doubt Youtube will fare any better, though.

And no, it's on an HFS+ partition.

>Macbook Pro.
No

>YouTube
Play videos with your video player instead of your browser.

not him, but how do you set up redirecting like that? looking to do it on some of my G4s and G5s

I just copy the URL and paste it into VLC

>OS X
Found your problem.

xD

>I'll end up gutting it and making it ATX compatible sometime.

not worth the effort

I forgot about that, don't they still maintain it for PPC OS X too?

Yeah

This. Just sell it to some mactard who will pay you $300 for that doorstop and build a real computer.

Seems like a pretty good rig tbqh

>bootable USB of OS X Tiger
IIRC PPC can't do that

Nope. Good for the scrap metal though.

>and I'll end up gutting it
Why would you ruin such a finely crafted grill? Use it the way it was intended. Take the fucker out back, plug it in, and have a barbecue.

You are this week's winner of our software giveaway! You won GENTOO 8.1 ULTIMATE EDITION OS!

What a waste of a PowerMac G5

>using something for the purpose it was designed for is a waste

you should snag a couple of E5450s off ebay, they'll double your performance

xD

This. Also since it's designed by Apple and is perpetually throttled and on fire, you should submerge it in water, thereby doubling its performance. With the CPU upgrade AND water cooling you could potentially QUADRUPLE its performance.

>Not storing his pepes on a multiple clouds or at least in a raid1 massive on his home server

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Do you value them at all?

>not being a pepe connoisseur and collecting only the rarest and finest pepes

Man does this guy get work or what

Why is Sup Forums so dumb and emotional?

Why is /r/appelmasturraecxD so dumb and emotional?

so i have a rig with an i3-4170, 8GB RAM, GTX 950

I also have a Mac Pro 1,1. I was thinking about picking up 8GB of DDR2, 2x xeon x5355, and throwing in my GTX 950 and SSD. Then, I'd dual boot Win7 and 10.11. I'm already invested in Apple's ecosystem in the form of a macbook pro and iphone so I'd love to get this going

how would the gaming performance be in comparison to the i3?

He's dead.

>muh apel
>muh gaems

Fuck off

Oh great the shitposter found the thread

You know the early Pros don't have that, right?

Nice projecting, have you ever considered leaving DTS consulting for a real job?

The early heatsinks aren't really anything skimpy or out of the ordinary either, not much different from my Precisions of the same vintage.

Nice projecting, have you ever considered leaving your designated shitting street for a real job?

Have you ever considered finding a non-shitposting hobby?

>he says while posting in a thread about literal shit

>wagecucks start getting off work in the US and Canada
>thread is immediately filled with scat fetishists and redditors
who knew

Have you ever considered going back to ?

>technology thread on a technology board
>this for some reason triggers the autist
Why?

it's a dell shill lads just let him fester

>people point out toys are not technology
>this for some reason triggers iPajeets
Why?

Never been there.

Why don't you go to eightchan, create some board that's technology sans Apple or something. Believe it or not, Apple computers are as discussion worthy as the gaymur rig you're shitposting on is.

>Why don't you go to eightchan, create some board that's Apple sans technology or something. Believe it or not, your fruity toys aren't computers nor are they discussion worthy just like your gaymur rig you habe next to your toy computer.

no

>appletard finally admits his facebook machine is a toy just like gaymen rigs

Eat a dick

kek

Get out

no

#REKT

>feeding the shill

The more he replies the more I can report him

This. Just report the thread and move on.

Don't you ever get tired of shitting up threads with the same three files day after day?

>thinking he won't just reset his dell-issued router or get on his chinkphone and start shitposting while he takes a designated shit out back

Don't you ever get tired of shitting up websites with the same three shill threads day after day?

At least his shitposts get deleted.

I don't make the threads we end up arguing in. I just go to them expecting to find you. I always do. I'm pretty sure you just spend your days searching the catalog for Apple threads, it's pretty fucking pathetic.

I go to every shill thread you make expecting to find you defending it to the death. I always do. I'm pretty sure you just spend your days searching the catalog for Apple threads, it's pretty fucking pathetic.

I love how you're not even capable of an argument. All you ever do is copy something I said and change a word or two.

I love how you're completely blind to your own hypocrisy that all anyone has to do to BTFO you is copy something you said and change a word or two.

Why are you so obsessed with people using different computers than you? I don't go full sperg when someone posts about Windows. I just hide the thread and carry on because I'm not fucking twelve.

How many Dell Credits(TM) do you earn per post, Raj? Any ETA on when you'll be freed from your torment when marketing starts cutting back with the inevitable flop of the XPS 13?

Why do you guys choose Sup Forums anyway? Nobody has any money here, and nobody wants your shitty consumer garbage anyway.

Tell me you aren't seriously replying to this street shitter.

Why are you so obsessed with people using different computers than you? I don't go full sperg when I stumble on an Apple website. I just close the tab and carry on because I'm not fucking twelve.

>iPajeet trying to push the street shitter meme on non-macfags

Well meme'd Rajeesh!

I argue with him on a daily basis, see Come on user, try making sense. If that was the kind of person you were you wouldn't be going full sperg in every remotely Apple related thread that pops up on Sup Forums

Come on user, try making sense. If that was the kind of person you were you wouldn't be going full sperg in every remotely non-Apple related site that pops up on the internet

Your shilling operation is no meme, Sulinder. Go back to your shanty hut.

>apple users
Truly disgusting.