bento.io/
programming-motherfucker.com/
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
theodinproject.com/
freecodecamp.com/
w3schools.com/
developer.mozilla.org/
codewars.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=JxAXlJEmNMg&feature=youtu.be&list=PL7664379246A246CB lecture series.

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/
>How to get started
youtube.com/watch?v=pB0WvcxTbCA - "WATCH THIS IF YOU WANT TO BECOME A WEB DEVELOPER! - Web Development Career advice"
youtube.com/watch?v=zf_cb_Nw5zY - "JavaScript is Easy" - If you can't into programming, you probably won't find a simpler introduction to JavaScript than this.

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com
openshift.com/
>NEW!
scaleway.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

jsfiddle.net/5w5z8crr/
jsfiddle.net/5w5z8crr/5/
garann.github.io/template-chooser/
youtube.com/watch?v=g90irqWEqd8
jsfiddle.net/5w5z8crr/6/
jsfiddle.net/5w5z8crr/7/
dribbble.com/shots/2831822-Cloudy-with-a-chance-of-Doge-Night-View
youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4muw3uxOc
youtube.com/watch?v=bmkajH5pEaQ&list=PL313A26329E0C8900
stripe.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How complex do my projects have to be in order to get a job?

Workin on a quotes machine, how does the overall design look so far?

>quotes machine
Kind of neat.

Are you using an API to get quotes?

No, put some random ones in an array

Recommended reading n MVC?

Wikipedia article

Where would you even get an API for that?

I was looking for something to make for a new project. Not a quotes API though, just something cool I could work with.

How have you done it?

What do you mean? html, css, vanilla js and jquery.

>being this retarded
>there are people on this general that can't make this project.

baka. Really simple yet nice design though m8, i really like it.

The shadows on the buttons look lame, making it a white 5-7px border would make them look much better. Rounded borders are also lame, just make it a square.

Also the shadow on the quote container is too thin and solid, add more blur and make it wider.

>making it a white 5-7px border would make them look much better

pls no

is it forbidden for people who want to learn ?

yes

thanks m8

thanks for the suggestions too

If you know basic html, css and really basic js and jquery then it's simple.

Make a mockup in photoshop, build up the framework using bootstrap, and then go about styling it. If you get stuck use stackexchange god bless them lol

thanks!

Is Dynadot good for registering domains?

I wanted to pick namecheap, but they don't have many domain extensions plus they are a reseller.

all that effort just to turn on a lamp

>have an eeepc
>it uses less power than a lamp
Might as well keep my laptop on.

So in jquery for some reason when I put a function in a .click when I click the object the function only executes once even though I click it more than one time. If I put the exact same code but inside the .click it works fine, what am I missing?

Where can I host my projects? I code it on Brackets but don't know where to put it up. I don't like Codepen, looking for something simple but professional looking.

Started my first real job in a foreign country just a month ago guys. Don't give up on this if it's really what you want to do. Took me 3 years, and I still feel like i'm not worthy of calling me an actual developer but the important thing is that you can do it!

>inb4 nice blog post

all depends on the job really. Where are you at right now? Personally if i had to give advice i'd get really fucking good at vanilla js.

Learn about scope. Learn about the methods. Learn object orientated principles.

Set up an api using express (or use an existing one like instagrams) and just interact with it using vanilla js. Then when your comfortable, jump into a framework and learn to interact with it using that!

Fiddle it so we can help you.

I can do vanilla JS.
>Learn about scope. Learn about the methods. Learn object orientated principles.
I know these things. I've built hobby projects that make use of APIs, I can build web apps with Django, and so on, but will I be expected to know a language or a framework inside out if I'm applying for jobs in which I'd be using it?

If you can do all that then you're more than ready for an entry level position. You're making me feel bad because it sounds like you know more than me

and in regards to knowing a framework it's not really necessary. I got taken on to work on a backbone project and I'd never even looked at it before starting.

I had to do a quick code test to show that I can make something, but yeh don't think you need to know all about the framework

jsfiddle.net/5w5z8crr/

Here you go, sorry if it's a stupid problem I'm still in the basics

Lads, is there a javascript library that will turn a json defined layout into html?

so something like this (this is just a conceptual idea)

layout = [
{
type: 'row',
children: [
{
type: 'col',
width: 6,
{
width: 12
}
]
}
]
},
{
type: 'row',
{
width: 12,
{
width: 6
},
{
width: 6
}
]
}
]
}
]

to this

I don't know how to solve this without putting the contents of the function directly inside the click. Someone else will help you eventually.

Man, went on Angel List to find a remote job and at least half of the startups are Indian.
Just about ready to give up and find a retail job a pack it in bros.

Literals are pass by value in JS. a is not number, but a copy of number. See jsfiddle.net/5w5z8crr/5/

Pick your poison garann.github.io/template-chooser/

>second interview
>first one went great
>"oh great you're here user, let me get you set up"
>here's a pdf, turn this into an html email template
>literally no idea how to do this
>fucking none
>spaghetti time
>panic for about 20 minutes while they work silently behind me
>finally decide to do something, i export the pdf as a jpg, and start putting the links on a separate z-index with absolute positioning
>alright user that's one hour
>oh my, your strategy was sound! but that would never work in any email client ever
>i guess that wraps us up for today
>we'll be in touch for next steps

I'm a fraud and I hate myself. Please end my life.

The design pattern or ASP.NET MVC?

>Angel List
Ha
>find a remote job
Hahahah
>Just about ready to give up and find a retail job a pack it in bros.
If you're willing to leave the house to work in retail, why won't you leave the house to work as a web developer? You moron.

I got a nice comfy office job working with node.js all day. Small company, no bullshit. I don't have a degree and didn't have any commercial experience when I started. If you know your shit and you can fill your resume with enough buzzwords to get past the recruiters, then you can probably get a job.

>literally no idea how to do this
>fucking none
And you didn't think to Google it?

I didn't know what we'd be doing. Just fucking kill me okay

>If you're willing to leave the house to work in retail, why won't you leave the house to work as a web developer?
Gonna need a visa for that. No dev jobs anywhere here.

>I got a nice comfy office job working with node.js all day
I envy you.

>fill your resume with enough buzzwords
Can you link me to a good resume for this field?

Thanks that helps, I made the function take the argument because later I'll need to execute it with different numbers and stuff is there a way to make it work like that or at least with less code than rewriting the function all over again?

So you couldn't google it while you were there doing it?

What the fuck kind of bullshit hiring process is that?

I'm a professional web developer, and I don't even get paid in indian rupies. I don't know
how the fuck to do a HTML email template off the top of my head. Personally the way I'd do it is sign into Mailchimp and do it all in there because email is too much of a ballache not to just do it through a 3rd party service.

Googling shit you don't know how to do is part of the skillset of any developer. Do you have any idea how long in a given day I spend on Stack Overflow or looking at documentation, or even watching a video tutorial on how to do something? Fucking ages.

Asking candidates to do some random-ass esoteric task, without giving them all the tools they would normally have access to, is fucking stupid and a shitty hiring process. It's like you're hiring a plumber but putting him in a room that is steadily flooding with water, and telling him he has to fix it but he can't use a fucking wrench because that'd be too easy.

Don't worry about it. Find a place to work that doesn't have a dogshit hiring process.

Wrap the parameter in an object.

>No dev jobs anywhere here.
Where is that?

I thought that's pretty much how it's done?

No interview I've been in has given me access to a computer. It's all pen and paper.

>solve X algorithm from Y output
>explain what this script does and ways that it can be improved
>tell us about differences between browser A and browser B
>thanks for interviewing, you're quite experienced but not a good cultural fit, best of luck in your job search

>you're quite experienced but not a good cultural fit

Are you black?

>solve X algorithm from Y output
>explain what this script does and ways that it can be improved
>tell us about differences between browser A and browser B

Those questions are also fucking gay.

But that's not exactly implementing an email html though is it? I'd assume they'd give you a computer for that.

nah just white

How much web dev money is in your bank account? Mine has 12k

>during interview
>tell me what this obscure function do and when you would use it
>in the actual job
>"don't get nervous user, we're a pretty down to earth group, you don't need to know everything you know, like all the functions and stuff, as long as you can google you'll be ok"

>You don't need to know anything besides how to google

excuse me while I got light my degree on fire

Can a Thinkpad T400 with 3Gb of ram handle web development?

Googling works best if you know what you are looking for...which comes from knowing how to program already. A programmer is alot more likely to find what he is looking for and know how to implement the answer as a opposed to a non-programmer. The non-programmer may never find the answer or if they were to even stumble upon it, they might not know that they did.

Google is just a tool to support you. The knowledge how to use it effectively comes from your experience and education. It's unlikely to make up for those things if you lack them.

Well they do want people who have some level of knowledge. If you can demonstrate knowledge. But admitting when you don't know something is also a good thing (or should be) because it can show that you're not going to hide your mistakes when you're working on something, which can be a very bad thing.

Also there's literally a Udemy course specifically designed to train you to pass those stupid interviews. Just learn that shit.

Yes.

>study law
>teacher is in the supreme court
>he tells us to look stuff up on wikipedia before doing anything else
>asks obscure questions without any answers in any legal archives but have to be found using wikipedia
I'm not even kidding.

>Wrap the parameter in an object.
No idea how to do that but you actually helped me a lot, thanks pham

Instead of myFunc(number) do myFunc({number})

How do you NodeJS developers handle callback nesting?

Also, do you happen to have any good resources to handle bad practices?

Async functions.

>How do you NodeJS developers handle callback nesting?

ES6 Promises make async very easy to manage, and are available natively in Node.

youtube.com/watch?v=g90irqWEqd8

Do I wrap it in when declaring a function or when calling it, both? I think I tried every combination of that, doesn't seem to make any significant change jsfiddle.net/5w5z8crr/6/

Best way would be to wrap the number value itself, I guess. jsfiddle.net/5w5z8crr/7/

Yeah I tried that, but failed to successfully pass other parameters other than number without changing the whole function/variable again

Is using HTML/CSS to make Android apps still laggy and shit?
Tried Cordova some time ago and it wasn't very quick. For my next project I want to do something a little different from the usual browser based web apps.

There are a few, just google them.

Are programming meetups worth attending?

If you want to hear how white and problematic you are, sure.

I'm sure there are real groups out there.

I develop on a laptop with 1gb ram. As long as you don't use a shitty bloated to fuck IDE you'll be fine.

Someone recommend me a text editor with a good ftp plugin? I use wine + notepad++

Just use filezilla you goddamned autist.

Any front-end bros out there wanna collaborate and make something like this?

dribbble.com/shots/2831822-Cloudy-with-a-chance-of-Doge-Night-View

This isn't my design, obviously.

We could mix it up by making it more of a start page, add a small section for links and another section with a calendar.

Looks great and seemingly easy to make, but I doubt any of us have decent art skills.

What's the go-to payment solutions for an eCommerce site? PayPal and amazon seem like the most popular but is there a better option?

Hi, i built a website with the django framework, how do connect this to a domain name? It´s not hoarded.

The autists in the wdg Discord chatroom just finished teaching formal grammars or some shit.

You're thinking of it wrong. When you build a website with django you're running a server. All the server does is send people html when they ask for it. A domain name just tells computers where your server is located. You have to manually tell the domain name where your server is. You do this by editing the DNS (Domain Name Service).

Here's a shitty example video using godaddy. Don't use godaddy though because it is also shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4muw3uxOc

You may also need a dedicated computer to serve your website. For this you may need to use a vps.

Here's a tutorial on that kind of stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=bmkajH5pEaQ&list=PL313A26329E0C8900

How do I find small(ish) freelance webdev jobs? I've tried craigslist, but all the job advertisements are for full time positions. I've also tried some freelance websites, but you either have to have some sort reputation on the site or be willing to work for next to nothing.

First for Ionicframework.com

Freelancing is a full time job. Have a portfolio ready. Every ad online is expecting a RFP.

See

No worries, if nobody else wants to I'll have a go at it myself.

Jesus Christ you can do this in Angular in a 16th of the code with 3 directives

Html

well excuse me mr fancy pants angular man

1. Woocommerce/wp
2. Squarespace

Sorry, stripe.com as API only.

Do not accept a job that only gives you html emails to "program" as a test

found out about sikuli when I was trying to bot a browser game. This is the code that I came up with today while learning python for the first time.
I want to make it so it spams left click when it's told to do so but I'm not sure if the loop is making it click at 1 sec interval or is the loop running the whole command again.
Can anyone take a look and let me know how to fix it?
running = True

def hotkey(event):
global running
running = False

#when hotkey is pressed, will launch script
Env.addHotkey('`',KeyModifier.SHIFT, hotkey)

while True:
Region(-1127,86,796,641)
# highlight the currently fontmost window for 2 seconds
setShowActions = True
s1 = Screen(2)
hover(Location(-978,384))
if s1.exists ("1468375558600.png"):
s1.click("1468375558600.png")
s1.exists("1468381755122.png")
hover(Location(-978,384))
wait(.5)
click(-978,384)
s1.find("1468371290523.png")
s1.click("1468371290523.png")
s1.find("1468370633327.png")
s1.click("1468370633327.png")
while s1.exists (Pattern("1468382021902.png").similar(0.89)):
click(Location(-1037,515))
if not s1.waitVanish(Pattern("1468382021902.png").similar(0.89)):
break
wait(.5)
s1.type('w',KeyModifier.CTRL)
print 'part 1 done'
else:
while s1.exists (Pattern("1468382021902.png").similar(0.89)):
click(Location(-1037,515))
if not s1.waitVanish(Pattern("1468382021902.png").similar(0.89)):
break
print 'part 2 done'
if not s1.exists ("1468381755122.png"):
break
print 'something happened'

Not sure if the formatting will stay since it's a long ass code. Might repost with pastebin if it turns out badly

>
>ng-init="data = {}; data.counter = 0 "
>ng-click=data.counter -= 1"
>ng-model="data.counter">

thanks! very helpful

And you only need one bloated framework for this.

Hi, /wdg/!
Looking for a price comparator like idealo, that has search API. Is there at least a single one that's not indian? Preferably based in europe

I need to interview people for a back-end dev position. Suggest questiond and exercises for technical interview, please.

lol fizzbuzz
make them write a simple response to an AJAX call given a spec, then test it with a frontend you previously wrote. Make small changes to spec for every candidate. Boom, done with the least effort possible.

Simple but to the point. I might do this. I would have to define a DB schema or where they get the data from, though.

Anyone familiar with nginx here? I have a server entry that simply does a rewrite from http to https but I'd like to make an exception for a single location and keep serving it through http, but as far as I can tell you can't do negations in the URL rules, any way around it?