I just installed this right now (16.04)

I just installed this right now (16.04)
I start to install all the software, or stop wasting my time and switch to Debian

Install software

yes install program !

If you wan't to stick to unity you should install unity-tweak-tool.

if you don't want to stick to unity you should install a functioning desktop environment

But Ubuntu IS Debian.

I never understood what's wrong with unity. I mean it's pretty comfy.

Save yourself some trouble and install gentoo.

>wan't
Is this a new meme?

just use whatever makes it easier for you to play with your dick

I just need to get some sleep.

switching to debian would be a waste of time, you just finished installing xenial

> Is this a new meme?
Is this a new meme?

The Dash is an ungodly cluttered piece of shit, but otherwise I think Unity is honestly pretty alright with some custom themes/icons.

noob question,

is there a viable means of manually installing different icons and themes, as opposed to downloading a piece of software to do it for you?

for some reason I just don't like the idea of using a tool that's carrying out functions that I don't understand. Not paranoid that the utility is malicious in anyway, it's more of an issue of bloat and being reliant on software I don't really want.

There must be a way but I'm a lazy guy so I use unity tweak tool.

Stop wasting your time and install Debian Testing.

There is literally nothing wrong with it and Testing gives you actually modern packages unlike Ubuntu's ancient bullshit.

You can pick whatever desktop environment you want during the install. Cinnamon is good if you want something Windows-like. XFCE is good if you want something lightweight. GNOME/KDE is good if you want something pretty but bloated. Really, anything besides Unity is good.

You get the advantages of using a popular linux distro (and therefore all the Ubuntu forums and other support places' solutions will apply to your install) and you can add ppa's if you want to install packages outside of Testing's repos without even having to edit sources.list.

Anecdotally I haven't had much luck keeping an Ubuntu install both stable and up-to-date. God forbid I want to compile something with dependencies that were upgraded in the last three years - usually I end up having to Frankenstein together some sources.list nonsense. Not so with Debian Testing. Even the occasional apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't break shit, I can't say the same for Ubuntu.

Implying debian is easier?

>wasting my time
Yeah sounds like you're wasting your time. Better spend 10 or 20 hours getting Debian working for practical use.

>go from 12.04 to 16.04
>wireless is broken and games no longer run
Wow!

Ubuntu 16.04 is usable, but every time you install a new piece of software, be prepared to drop to a terminal and do a 'sudo apt -f install' becase every time you install something on 16.04 it gets some weird dependency error. It's just one extra step, but if you install a lot of software for testing purposes, it gets annoying.

I moved to Fedora, if you think you could use GNOME 3, I highly recommend it. Enable the RPM Fusion or United RPM repository for non-free software, maybe grab the Fedy tool for one-click install scripts for some of the harder to get software, it's also got some themes you can install and tweaks like disabling mouse acceleration and getting better font rendering (somewhat needed).

It's a little more work to initially get set up than Ubuntu is these days, but you get a much more usable system, I highly recommend it.

I have only used Mint and Ubuntu. I really don't like the GUI of ubuntu but I was a window fag forever.... Now I'm probably going to get china hacked using mint. can't ever win.

maybe u should install software. afterward if u feel wasted time or regret and screw up either. switch to other desktop environment.

>Install Xubuntu 16.04 on T420
>Wireless bugs on wake, cursor disappears on screen lock, and other annoying bugs
>Switch to Fedora 24
>Everything works without any issues

Lol

>> Is this a new meme?
>Is this a new meme?
Is this a new meme?

Never used unity but on openbox it's enough to paste the icon folder to ~/.icons

Mint 18 just shipped at end of June and its pretty polished. Im much happier with it than Ubuntu 16

>>> Is this a new meme?
>>Is this a new meme?
>Is this a new meme?

Is this a new meme?

>He fell for the Linux meme.

>edit /et/apt/sources.list to allow non free software
>sudo apt update && sudo apt install whatever-firmware-your-wireless-card-needs

If that takes you 9 hours the you're retarded.

>implying normies shown in pic related post cancerous graphic cards benchmarks on Sup Forums
>projecting this hard