Need a laptop

I bought a Dell (yeah yeah I know) laptop last year and it's a total piece of shit. Mushy keyboard that's sometimes unresponsive, grainy webcam that looks like it's from 2006, screen is getting a bright spot that's enveloping the entire left side, and the list goes on. It sounded nice when I bought it and it's got 8 gigs of ram, a terabyte hard drive, and an okay cpu and gpu, but holy shit this thing sucks. My laptop from 10 years ago is better than this one.

What's a good laptop for normal use? I was thinking about getting a Thinkpad, but I heard that the quality has declined recently.

Any suggestions under $550?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/112048443606
ebay.com/itm/9262472268054
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T520-i7-2640M-2-8GHz-4GB-Ram-250GB-HDD-15-6-Laptop-Win7-/252435388401?hash=item3ac65257f1:g:XVkAAOSwMNxXa-je
ebay.com/itm/4GB-1-X-4GB-RAM-Memory-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T520-4239-4240-4241-4242-4243-/401017621297?hash=item5d5e834b31:g:HzEAAOSw9mFWLpKF
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319687&cm_re=x220-_-34-319-687-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

for daily use as in shitposting, videos, light gaming?

thinkpads are not meant to be bought new by normal people, they are meant to be bought new by businesses and sold for cheap a few years later

get a T520, maxed out, you will be pleased

if you are only browsing Sup Forums, buy a T42 for 30$ and install gentoo

T420.used.

Buy cheap parts and replace anything that is broke

I bought a used x220t and overpaid for it and still found it quite worthwhile for the durability alone

dell latitudes 6*** and 4*** are pretty good

thinkpads T/W 420/520 are probably your best bet

>for daily use as in shitposting, videos, light gaming
Exactly. My desktop does the heavy lifting. I also forgot to mention in the OP that I'd like a decent battery life, or at least one that lasts longer than an hour and a half.

this ebay.com/itm/112048443606
plus this ebay.com/itm/9262472268054

Second listing says it's been removed. I assume it's an extended battery?

If you're buying a Dell, you gotta stick to the latitudes.

They make a wide range of cheap shit for the poorfags out there, but the latitudes are pretty nice.

Inspirons tend to have the shitty, mushy keyboard

yeah, 9 cell new battery
theyre like 20$, gets you 6-ish hours of battery life

combo'd with an ultrabay battery, you can hotswap 9 cells all day if you feel like buying an expensive 3 cell battery and never use your cd drive again

Dude you're getting a Dell!

Is there a significant advantage of the t520 over the t420 or vice versa? They seem to have pretty similar specs, but the t520 is more difficult to find for sale.

There isn't one. Just get an old IBM Thinkpad T60. Those have proper keyboard and 4:3 screen.
If it's too slow for you, then you're out of luck. Time to wean yourself off the Web 2.0 consumer whore sites, or just accept your fate as a mindless drone with crap hardware.

T520 has a screen that won't make you want to kill yourself. Better cooling, too.

Alright thanks I'll get the t520

Dell XPS 13.

Alright I think I'm going to buy this one ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T520-i7-2640M-2-8GHz-4GB-Ram-250GB-HDD-15-6-Laptop-Win7-/252435388401?hash=item3ac65257f1:g:XVkAAOSwMNxXa-je
and
ebay.com/itm/4GB-1-X-4GB-RAM-Memory-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T520-4239-4240-4241-4242-4243-/401017621297?hash=item5d5e834b31:g:HzEAAOSw9mFWLpKF
to make it 8gg.

Anything I should consider before pulling the trigger here?

Thinkpad x1 carbon (4th gen)

>Dell XPS 13.

OP asked for something under $500 autismo.

Thoughts on elitebooks?

The only autists here are the ones recommending used cum-stained chinkpads.

>Any suggestions under $550?
Unless you buy used, you're going to get what you paid for.
Good suggestion, but redo thermal compound ASAP. The 12 year old chinks in Lenovo factories don't know how to apply, not that they should.

Got a 8560W and love it. It truly is a workstation.With a 15.6" screen and weight of 3.3kg it is not really that portable though. Also battery could be better but again can't get both high performance and great battery life. On mine with an i7 2670QM cpu and non-switcahble nvidia 1000M graphics I get around 2-3hrs or so out of it. Definitely acceptable but not great.
They are on-par if not better built than good-series Thinkpads.
Ofc. if you want more portability you could always go for the smaller models I guess.
Can't speak for how the newer models are though.

I've been enjoying my x220 for a while now. Newegg sells them refurbished.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319687&cm_re=x220-_-34-319-687-_-Product

I had an issue with the first one I bought. I contacted customer support of the company that refurbishes them and they sent me a new one via express shipping and sent me a pre-paid shipping label for the old one.

Pop-in a 16 GB RAM set and an SSD and you have one hell of a laptop.

DELL DUDE
E
L
L

D
U
D
E

Love, love love them. Solid as a fucking rock build quality (granted, a little bulkier than it's contemporaries), nice finish, easy to access for repairs and upgrades, replacement batteries are cheap, as are parts. My 8460 still gets 5 hours of light use on it's factory battery, I can CAD on the i7 ProBook for 4 hours without looking at the charger. Like I said in another thread, 84xx (or 85xx) are the ones to shoot for, you could look a little further back to the i3 21xx series of you're not doing anything more intense than media and interblags, and money is a factor. Stay away from the 94xx series, our local HP guy thinks they are dogs in terms of reliability and lolled at me for buying one. Cunt.

Anyone here rocking a Dell Latitude? How do they hold up to ThinkPads?

I have had a Vostro 3300 since 2012, it has held up extremely well. Compared to a thinkpad I don't know, all I know is that TPs have good keyboards, but not much else over a Dell

I'm still using a Dell Precision M6600. Heavy as fuck, barely fits in a backpack, but god damn it's nice. HP Workstations are totally worth it.

>hp

Spotted the poorfag. Go play with your plastic chinkpad user.

Enjoy your overheating and poor reliability. Good luck trying to get proper tech support from someone who isn't Pajeet when your laptops die in 6 months.

> foxandgrapes.jpg

You seem to have misunderstood something. And I completely understand why.
HPs consumer-grade stuff is absolutely shit. No question there.
The Elitebooks however, are some of the finest pieces of work you will ever come across.

I am truly amazed that they are made by the same manufacturer. There is lightyears between HP consumer laptops and their business-grade stuff.

Latitudes have gone to shit in recent years.

Lenovo Yoga 3 with IPS, ssd, 45Wh battery, 2-in-1 laptop