/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ? Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-350-Special-2015/dp/B015ZKJIYI/ref=sr_1_9?s=prime-day&psr=PD16&ie=UTF8&qid=1468387417&sr=1-9&keywords=gaming headphones
innerfidelity.com/images/BoseQuietComfort35WiredActive.pdf
s.aliexpress.com/vA7ZVJji
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anime isn't real kiddo

2nd for best memes I've ever fallen for

Best dynamic reporting in.

Also sauce.

FUCK YOU

debating whether or not I should get a pair of "nice" in ear headphones for travelling, usually I have a nice setup at home (dt990 +amp/dac) and I don't give a fuck what I take with me on the bus etc (usually apple earbuds). But I've been looking at the shure se215's and they look really nice. Worth it or not? I travel a lot on the train for uni so I could use some better headphones

>Budget
200 hard limit
>Location
US
>Source
PC
>Preferred type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
closed preferred, but open is ok
>Comfort level
sacrifice comfy for quality, if applicable
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral
>Past headphones
junk

need purchase advice please, mainly want something i can listen to music with and also for muh gaymin, was leaning towards sennheiser HD598se with FiiO e10k. totally new to decent headphones

posting again for any more suggestions, thank you to whomever suggested sennheiser 558 last thread:
>Budget
i'd like to spend less than 100usd
>Location
usa
>Source
computer or phone, no amp
over ear
>Open or closed
doesn't make too much of a difference, but i would prefer as little leakage as possible (2 roommates in school)
>Comfort level
maximum
>Preferred tonal balance
ideally something flat enough that i could use it for music production, but it's not my highest priority
>Past headphones
currently using sony mdr-xb500's. they're decently comfy, although the pleather earcups get sweaty/uncomfortable after many hours. sound quality isn't bad
usual listening is lots of techno, jazz, and stuff like beach house
i've been recommended XPT100's before, but i can't remember why...

Don't worry, op is just an autistic beta who gets off on posting his weabshit on a technology board.

Let the pedo have his fun XD

HD600's or HD650's what do if cost isn't a factor

I need the source of that image.

I'm looking for a point but not finding one.

Did some digging around and it was all a ruse.

Maybe if you like niggerbass.

Don't buy preGCN cards, they don't get drivers anymore.

At least get a HD7870 minimum

DT770

CAL or XPT100

>Budget
70-120 USD
>Location
USA
>Source
SMSL M2 DAC if I ever get it to not suck ass.
Looking for IEMS
>Open or closed
IEMS
>Comfort level
Would like something that doesn't stick out
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral or Bassy
>Past headphones
ETYMOTIC

My Etymotic are just about to die and I'd like to get something with a removable cable.

Looking at either Shure SE215s or AT ATH-IM50s.

I think you missed the thread that you intended to post that in.

It will be real when trump becomes president.

yeah what even

Lads, how do I tweak the EQ settings for my DT880 (600)? They're perfect for easy listening, jazz, classical, Deadmau5 type EDM, and soft rock, but they sound a little too metallic and harsh for harder rock. I just downloaded Equiliser APO btw, but I have no idea how to use it

Get Peace GUI with it and play with the sliders at 9-10khz reducing a few db.

Not him, but why Peace GUI? Equalizer APO already comes with a GUI on windows, which has worked just fine for me

Because for a person who has no idea what they are doing, everything is laid out for them.

Do you have a cable microphone in mind that won't give me potato quality?

im >55547413
which DT770's user? 80ohm ok for a fiio e10k dac/amp?

Either if you have an amp.

How comfortable are AKG K240s in terms of long term wear? I bought a pair of ATH M50s a few years ago but had to stop using them because they hurt my skull after wearing them for too long. Now I mostly stick to in-ear headphones but the AKGs are on sale right now.

>Budget
$200 USD max
>Location
Norway
>Source
Android phone
IEM or On-ear headphone
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Don't really care
>Preferred tonal balance
I don't really care, most V shaped headphones do the trick
>Past headphones
I honestly just want a portable headphone or IEM becuase I keep breaking my IEMs and pretty much all portable headphones are cheap plastic shits that break in half as soon as you throw them in a backpack. pls help

>~100$-ish
>CT
>Acer Aspire E1-572
>Full size
>Open is acceptable.
>Comfort level: Preferably comfy.
>Pref neutral, bassy if not.
>Razer Kraken USB. Sounded good until the sliders snapped like dry twigs.
Need something durable and wearable over extended periods with a mic.

Don't have any experience with that model but my AKG is really comfortable. Also, most of the time people compliment AKG headphones' comfiness.

/thread

I once wore K240s for 15 hours straight doing a Stalker marathon. Could hardly tell they were there.

what replacement ear pads should i get for m50x

HM5 pads in whichever flavor you like, and Shure pads might also fit.

thanks senpai

thanks for the advice user

Re-thinking my next choice of headphones

>Canada
>75 ~ 85$
>closed, decent noise isolation
>detachable cable + I don't care if the clamp isn't comfy I won't be using it for long
>good mids and ok highs
>decent but not extreme bass
>eurobeat, rock, pop, metal, classic
>android smartphone + PC (I've got a AMP that uses a USB for power and a red/white audio cable)

Kek

where is the sale user

>Budget
$100-125 AUD

>Location
Australia

>Source
Just the stand jack on my computer and old Ipod

Full sized

>Open or closed
I usually prefer closed, but my headphones are impromptu speakers at the moment, so I guess Open.

>Comfort level
Very comfortable.

>Past headphones
Just a pair of HD681s. Only looking to buy something new since it only properly works if the cord is facing one direction.

I just got this on Amazon Prime Day sale for 120 CAD (about 90 USD) to replace my shitty gaming headphones. How did I do? Did I fuck up? What should my DAC/amp budget be around or any suggestions?

is this good deal?
amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-350-Special-2015/dp/B015ZKJIYI/ref=sr_1_9?s=prime-day&psr=PD16&ie=UTF8&qid=1468387417&sr=1-9&keywords=gaming headphones

You did good son. Keep in mind though that using onboard sound will not do these sexy cans justice. Dedicated soundcard and/or amp.

i was about to check it out, wat da fuq
>You save $0.01
amazon whhy

How good (or bad) are the Sennheiser HD 429?

My Xiaomi Piston 3 broke and I'm looking for a replacement.

From what I've heard, best gaming headset besides the 400+ Audio Technica, though headphones + mic > sennheiser gaming

I thought soundcards were a meme, like Razer keyboards and RGB LED graphics cards?

Canada Prime Day deal, already sold out hours ago :( Picked mine up at 94% and was at 96% when I checked out.

Also I hate to sound like a fucking retard but is the wood burl real or fake? Not that it matters to me.

Oh yeah the black SE ones were at 110 CAD but I went with the burl because I don't want to buy headphones that just look like any old Sennheiser.

>From what I've heard, best gaming headset besides the 400+ Audio Technica, though headphones + mic
ooh thanks

>Also I hate to sound like a fucking retard but is the wood burl real or fake?
i have absolutely no idea, it looks like a nice plastic to me

Is there any DAP i can use as DAC/AMP for my pc? And if there is can someone recommend me one for

X3ii

I find them super comfy, as long as the pads are fresh. I change them every year or so. The earcups have been called shallow by some.

>Budget
$100-$200
>Location
'Murica
>Source
Into phone jack mostly. Auxilary.
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Don't care
>Past headphones
Sennheiser 580. Fucking hated them. Wasn't a problem with comfort but they sounded pretty shitty honestly. My biggest wish is noise canceling/isolation with good quality.

Elear measurements

How do you feel about crossfeed?

sennheiser 558* my mistake

Looks similar to LCD 2 measurements with Ether's 10k spike.

Should I go for K702 or used HD600? Price is more or less the same.

Wow how'd you figure that one out?

I just leave it in my head for 5 hours and doesn't bother me at all.

innerfidelity.com/images/BoseQuietComfort35WiredActive.pdf

That's fairly impressive.

How bad can these be? Looking for the best cheap option under 3 aud.

High quality 3.5mm Earphones Earbuds Headphones Headset Handsfree With Mic For All Mobile Phone
s.aliexpress.com/vA7ZVJji
(from AliExpress Android)

Or should I bump it up to $6 for the kz edr2?
Will the price difference of 100% be worth it?

Reposting this image I saw long ago in a /hpg/ thread. It's quite accurate, by the way.

I had both, the HD650 is better. Less fatiguing in the long run and doesn't have that butt ugly marble finish.

doesn't quite depict the tinny upper midrange hump that makes every akg sound like ass

>I thought soundcards were a meme
No. EMI shielded cards are pretty much immune to noise, and they don't have the pops and clicks that USB DAC's get under heavy CPU load.

Asus xonar essence
Creative zxr
Any card with its own headphone amp and swappable op-amps really.

Fucking God-tier reporting in. Unrivalled comfort and Bluetooth so no more stupid cables.

>2020-4+10-5x2
>using wired headphones

pccasegear has the sennheiser hd518 for $135 if you can spare the extra

if not your options are very limited

Cheers.

I probably should have added, not looking to buy right away while my current headphones are (barely) working. Just after suggestions, or what I can look out for.

>babbys first hedfone
>God-tier

Keep an eye on headphones.com.au

They are a dedicated headphone store, the only one in the country last time I checked, they do good prices and have a lot of niche stuff.

>the only one in the country last time I checked
You really didn't try, huh.

Minidisc and addictedtoaudio have a much larger and better selection.

I'm pretty sure that sound quality is a pretty big factor...

How does it perform?

anyone have the link to the original image?

It's in the thread.

It's been bothering me for a while, but

Do you guys use speakers as well? I've been using headphones only for 15 years because I still live in areas where the walls are made of thin paper and I don't want people to listen to the shit I'm listening. However at times I feel it's detrimental to my health. Like I should just be relaxing there, watching a movie or some shit with a pair of good speakers instead.

Yeah I listen to speakers as well. I'm going to get Tannoy Reveal 502, I want to hear the sound of a good monitor. So far I've only used 2.1 systems.

I prefer the K702

I've purchased from both, addicted to audio seem to have a larger selection than minidisc though you might find some products that minidisc has which addicted to audio don't such as phillips fidelio X2.

minidisc price match, but if addicted to audio have a product at a lower price I don't bother price matching and just order online from whomever is cheaper.

Addicted to audio's free express shipping was pretty fast compared to minidisc if you live in a different state.

I don't know who has better aftermarket support though. Might be minidisc. I wish I lived close by to try before I buy.

There is only one headphone shop in QLD that I know off and their selection is very small.

Looking to sell my HD800 and I'm searching for a more "warm" signature. The HD800's have served me well but it's time to let go. I got tired of equalizing the bass to my liking but I loved the soundstage of these cans.

Have currently been looking at the LCD-2's and the TH-X00 from Fostex. I'm listening mostly to electronic music (ambient, deep house and IDM), Björk and some Jazz. Any other suggestions for a warmer signature headphone?

Why's that? Could you elaborate on your experience with the 2 of them; what you liked, disliked, etc?

Kek, op got rekt

>Do you guys use speakers as well?
More than my headphones.

I had to sell my dt990 250ohm and budget dac amp. Currently using xba h1 full time. Do you think I'll be disappointed with pic related in comparison to the beyerdynamics? Compatibility with the vmoda boom pro mic and other in line mics is totally irreparable

check out grados

what model? also, isn't grados piercing as fuck in the treble department?

>hey guys i don't like what the hd800 does
>get grados which does everything the hd800 does in an infinitely worse way AND is more uncomfortable

Get a tube amp.

>tubes are warm meme

It's not my fault you that he bought a headphone he couldn't afford to drive properly.

HD800s are piss easy to drive and even then
>buying something else to fix a fault/something you don't like in the headphone

>thinking that there is a headphone on the market without faults

I'm not saying that. If you don't like a headphone's signature, then rushing out to buy a tube amp is not the answer.

where can i find a guide/advice for new speakers for tv?

HD600 is a straight upgrade of the HD800.

>How bad can these be?
The sort of things that people dump on the street, the kind that you find at a dollar store.

It'll lean more to the bass than the Beyers, less treble and such.

>I got tired of equalizing the bass to my liking
Tired of equalizing? What make you think you won't get tired of equalizing the
other headphones?

LCD2 will have less low/mid treble, but as for warmth? The treble recession could yield that impression.

1. Drive requirements are physics and relatively simple at that, HD 800 is no exception here
2. This is completely unrelated to price
3. I'm not that user with HD 800
4. Design or topology of the amplifier is irrelevant and has nothing you could generalize based on tubes/transistors. There are transparent tube amps and audibly colored transistor designs. I'd generally avoid any colored gear as they only end up being arbitraty signal processors which might or might not shift the sound signature to your liking. Amplifier which causes warm response on one pair of headphones might not do the same to another pair. An amplifier with audible levels of distortion is of terrible design.

HD 800's problem is directly tied into its magnitude response. This is not something an amplifier properly fixes. Very large Zout will make HD 800's midbass shift upwards making the headphones sound a bit warmer as a result of it. It doesn't nothing to the peaky treble - the main problem people have often have with it. An equalizer is the tool to use here but the user didn't want to so a pair of headphones with a more preferable response is a better option.

They have notably different response and I'm fairly sure that user had a HD 600.