Why aren't you using the best Linux distro yet Sup Forums?

Why aren't you using the best Linux distro yet Sup Forums?

Show your support here: salt.bountysource.com/teams/elementary

Other urls found in this thread:

bazaar.launchpad.net/~elementary-design/elementaryos/elementary-wallpapers-freya/files
bazaar.launchpad.net/~elementary-design/elementaryos/elementary-wallpapers-freya
youtube.com/watch?v=hirq60Ago0Y
sys.Sup
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is that wallpaper one of the default ones in Elementary?

If so (and assuming you're running it right now), would you please post it?

Thank you.

Nevermind, found it myself here:
bazaar.launchpad.net/~elementary-design/elementaryos/elementary-wallpapers-freya/files

>bazaar.launchpad.net/~elementary-design/elementaryos/elementary-wallpapers-freya
Yes it's from elementary OS freya. It's the default wallpaper even if you just run it through a USB installer disk.

I have to admit, even though it is not a distro for me, it was extremely comfy when I tried it live from a USB stick.

The main reason to use Elementary OS seems to be the DE, of which I'm not a fan. Besides, I don't use Linux on any systems that aren't headless.

isn't it running XFCE?

Isn't it just Ubuntu with an outdated OSX skin?

Seems pretty lame desu.

That looks like GNOME in OP

I love it, always worked great OOB

Pantheon

I've been using it for a very long time.
It just werks.

Congrats. You managed to make eOS look like 2005 XFCE crap

When you call your users thieves you shouldn't even have the right to ask for "support". Take your buggy garbage somewhere else.

So he didn't change anything

Last time I tried it was buggy as shit, so no.
And desu it's just fucking Ubuntu with a shiny skin.

context?

wut

Because it doesn't have a setting I want by default.
Not sure if it was mouse accel or monitor refresh rate or both.
Not sure why so many linux distros gradually fuck that up.

I'm currently using it as my animu media server.
Honestly the only reason I'm even considering it is because it's one of the only distros that support 21:9 without me having to fuck around with it.
It just werks™

I actually use it. It's cute, but riddled with bugs. I had a lot of problems with it. Recently, the package manager's stopped working. It was probably a bad idea to install a destro like this, being a linux newbie.

>It was probably a bad idea to install a destro like this, being a linux newbie.
You're joking. If Ubuntu is continuously lauded for its UI and the fact that it's the most user friendly out of pretty much everything, this one does things even better.

I actually tried installing it on a MacBook Air and it's the only time I had any real problems with it. I can't see shit. But on any Windows laptop I agree, "It just works"

But I am OP. I've been using it since Freya came out. Right now it is in it's most stable stage. I'm not planning to install Loki anytime soon.

>VLC.
user pls.

There is literally nothing wrong with VLC

youtube.com/watch?v=hirq60Ago0Y

isn't it based on some old ass ubuntu version?

topkek
but i can't complain about it cuz that hasn't happened to me.. yet.

Yes, it is based on ubuntu LTS versions

I don't like the default theme that's all.

Important question: Does it delay security updates like mint?

Installed it in a vm, runs like shit in parallels, arch was much nicer.

Going from osx to elementary os really showcases how much nicer osx is.
Could be alright for budget mac clone though, I guess. Going to poke around more to see if I can get it to run not like shit.

I am tho. It's the only hope for a true Linux desktop.

Buggy? As opposed to what? Arch?

They never called anyone a thief.

The amount of space between the icons in settings triggers me pretty bad. Also the stuff in dock is incredible ugly.

Though given the rest of Linux DEs it's quite good.

desu it's kind of sad that this is pretty much the only distro that gives a fuck about design

And this is why desktop Linux is so irrelevant. Would it kill the freetards to find couple art majors with too much freetime?

>it is because it's one of the only distros that support 21:9 without me having to fuck around with it

uwotm8.jpg

All distros I've seen support 21:9 without needing to tweak anything.

This is honestly only Linux distro that doesn't look like ugly ass 90s shit
t. winfag

How can you stand having that as your desktop background? The iso noise in that picture would make my eyes bleed.

No they don't.
I've tried Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch, Manjaro, Antergos, Debian and Kali (For school purposes) before this. The only one that worked for me right out of the box was Antergos with Openbox weirdly enough. All the others saw my monitor as a 34" generic monitor and set it to a stretched 1920x1080 with no 2560x1080 option.
You could force a resolution with Xrandr I guess but even then it's kinda janky.

Pretty much. Like yeah, you can definitely spend hours ricing shit to your liking, that's the beauty of linux, but it just won't be a dominant desktop platform until the normalfags can just boot shit up, everything works, and it looks great.
Solus is another appealing visual design but I haven't gotten around to fully testing it yet.
With windows becoming uglier and uglier, now is a fucking amazing time for linux distros to focus on design and win over some people.

Freya was bad, Luna was good. Gonna try it again with their next release, after I get bored of Debian.

Fuck I loved Luna, that was my first time on elementary and I fell in love

Eh, who doesn't immediately remove all the default icons on the dock anyway? I just install and dock the shit that I actually use.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

if you use a de with a dock for a long time I think you always set it to autohide as a power user.. At least that has been what i've found with myself and the majority of power users on osx/ubuntu/elementary. If they use the default DEs anyway.

I am a linux new user and this distro is trash. Every setting is a pain in the ass.
Slingshot is trash
File explorer too
All those embedded software with zero option.
Fuck this shit, i booted back to windows

>Eh, who doesn't immediately remove all the default icons on the dock anyway?
Ideally, you don't have to do that shit and waste time with replacements. Things like video player icon being wider than the rest is just ridiculous.

Sure but you still get to see the ugly icons from time to time; and it can't be that hard to find somebody decent to design them, but apparently it is, seeing how pretty much every Linux DE struggles with it.

It's pretty sad, now with MS going full retard it's THE moment to push for Linux desktop.

because i use my own distro.

What kind of shitty monitor do you have, then? I have had no issues with Ubuntu (and its variants), Mint, Debian, Fedora, and Arch using various different 21:9 monitors (Asus and LG).

With that broken English, I'm surprised you even made it through the installation. Please, stick with MS, Pajeet.

no

yes

Thought this was bad GET, but upon further review I like it.

AAH FUCK

Fucking faggot.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!

Witnessed!

Here we go

cool digits desu senpai

Check'd

ABSOLUTELY WASTED JESUS

what a shitty fucking get

WINRAR

WASTE
A
S
T
E

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

god dammit

failGET

Noice.

wew lad

OW THE EDGE

WOOOOOOO

EPIC

fuck you wasted octs you fucking moron

FUCKING CHECKED

:^)

fuck u

FUCK

Wasted.

Please refer to

check'ed

good guitarist tho

Include me in the screencap

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

DAMN YOU

Very nice.

sys.Sup Forums.org/g/imgboard.php?res=55555555

"How wasted am I?" - this post

ITS HAPPENING

KILL YOURSELF
WASTED

Fucking wasted

This would have been better

check'd
posting in epic thread

You're a winner

i would also like to reply to this post

couldn't have happened in a worse thread for a worse distro replying to a worse comment
so you did well i guess you little cunt

NICE JOB MAN

If you have got the feeling,
Jump and touch the ceiling,
5 will make you feel alright