Can someone recommend me a good distro?

Can someone recommend me a good distro?

>is it possible to change distro while keeping my /home/ folder?

Gnu Hurd Debian

Is it possible to install it while retaining my home folder?

Hannah Montana Linux

Try Parabola or Antergos.

>>is it possible to change distro while keeping my /home/ folder?
That's exactly what home partitions are for.

gentoo
I don't know what filesystems hurd supports but if you are using gentoo (or any other linux distro) then yeah it's possible.

But is it possible to install it while retaining my home folder?

>good distro
no such thing

Just install ubuntu and don't listen to any stupid shit people says here, in fact, just don't come to this shit hole and stay the fuck away.

Debian stable is the only good distro. Enable backports. Or else Opensuse leap . Every other distro is cancer.

Gentoo.

Yes it's possible but onky if you've used proper paritions and not been lazy previously!

Only if it's on a separate partition.

Assuming /home/ is on it's own partition, it's easy, just install your new distro and don't format your home partition. Then when the time comes, Mount /home/... Some fstab editing required probably, I forget.

-Arch
-Yes

Just put it on a separate partition and then mount it to /home on every distro you boot into.

> Gentoo
> Arch
> openSUSE

The rest are also pretty good.

If you're brand new... Get Mint.

Arch, so you won't have to reinstall every 6 months. The wiki is kickass, too.

If you don't have /home one a separate partition, just tar -cjpvf the thing, copy your passwd/shadow entries, install the distro, unzip your home, and put your passwd/shadow entries back. Should be straight forward from there.

Windows 10.
>keeping my /home/ folder
Just upload it to OneDrive.

I gotta say, I really like Manjaro. It's basically a more stable and user friendly version of arch.

Not OP, but is Fedora good for desktop usage?
Specifically I need Firefox with typical plug-ins like adobe flash (not chrome), Skype, Libre Office or open office, VLC media player with support for typical video and music formats, and a picture viewer.

>Can someone recommend me a good distro?
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
Fedora Rawhide
Arch

>is it possible to change distro while keeping my /home/ folder?
yes

install opensuse

>is Fedora good for desktop usage?
As it has recent packages, yes it's good. If you want a rolling release version of Fedora (so you dont have to re-install/upgrade your OS constantly) use Fedora Rawhide.

It's great if you want to fuck around with latest kernels.

But that's about it. Maintainig a stable fedora install is a chore.