Small Questions Thread

/sqt/

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00V2ULFAQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/when-will-the-cantonese-input-method-be-available/9eb2d03c-e326-4eb6-9f72-c1320e32102bfor
puntocellulare.it/schede-cellulari/samsung/samsung_gti9070_galaxy_s_advance.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121926
youtube.com/watch?v=UA-EOjtAFx8
youtube.com/watch?v=OipJYWhMi3k
youtube.com/watch?v=5JD6ejmlpa8
amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Executive-Stylus-Touchscreen-Devices/dp/B008ULX012/
gearbest.com/stylus-_gear/
forum.xda-developers.com/
htpcguides
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What kind of hardware do I need to capture VHS/Hi8 tapes to digital and is it worth getting something with HD capability.

My phone battery suddenly started draining super fast (From 10 hours battery life down to 45 minutes battery life), and the phone gets really hot when it's on, even just on the home screen. Is it just the battery thats fucked?

How the fuck do i remove adware?
Chrome on this computer is now basically adware i thought that restoring its settings would help but it didn't
random ads on clicks
search bars
is now full on bloatware

It's on W7 if it matters.

Why isn't WTFPL more widespread in the open source community, considering it's the most free license type available?

Around October or December I plan to do a system refresh with an i5-6600k, an RX 480, and a 1440p Moniter, anything else I should consider?

I guess you'd need a different motherboard as well if you're getting a new CPU, but otherwise everything else looks pretty good.

Why is it Small Questions? Are we now a safe space?

>VCR with video output
>capture card
>connect vrc output to card input
>???
>profit

Had this happen recently. Either you have an app that is running in the background 24/7 and sucking up resources (without you realizing), or you have malware. Doesn't matter what it is, uninstall the last couple of apps you recently installed.

Then run a malware scan. Just download a free app from playstore.

well I was getting another MoBo, and DDR4 RAM and such, just asking for other considerations.

Okay. I can use any capture card?

it's just one autist trying to force the new title. he makes the new thread a few posts early so no one can call it the stupid questions thread. i don't know why op is so butthurt

you should be able to use a capture card along with a rca to hdmi adapter.

Because it's the word I use

I'm not butthurt about anything, I couldn't give less of a shit if it was small or stupid. Also I always wait till the previous thread autosages before making a new thread.

Any recommendations for a nice new tab page? I'm looking for something customizable and lightweight.

I've been using Speed Dial FVD on Pale Moon but it's a little bloaty and can cause problems sometimes.

Any one should work as vrc output = capture card input

Just make sure it has ports for composite or whatever the fuck you decide to use.

Did Hiroshimoot finally ban mobile posters?

Why would you want that?

Okay thanks!

No?

Are there any good books about older video game programming. I read that book Racing the Beam about programming hurdles with developing for the original Atari and I really liked it. I'm not looking for a book on how to program for old game consoles, but more so a books about game consoles from a developer/programming perspective.

I don't
I'm asking if he finally did

Is it just a Tmobile thing then?

forgot to mention

If you can't find a capture card with old style video inputs needed for what you're trying to do, consider buying this.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00V2ULFAQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can personally vouch for it since I own one. Basically it'll convert your composite video signal into HDMI so that you can go from the converted HDMI to a regular capture card that takes HDMI.

Might be easier for you, I don't know.

you're going to want the third option

Composite input to HDMI output

1. Any good alternative to JDownloader on Android that can download links from Mega/other services
2. How to use Microsoft Office IME 2010 on Win8/10? Win8/10 come with higher version of same software so direct attempt to install Office IME 2010 onto those OSs would result in error, but the newer version preinstalled on the two OSs are missing some functionality. Seeanswers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/when-will-the-cantonese-input-method-be-available/9eb2d03c-e326-4eb6-9f72-c1320e32102bfor further detail.
3.My mobile operator banned VPN usage as they think using VPN enable tethering. How to browse Japan-only site via their network Without changing to other operators/plans [for cost reason]?
4.How to prevent sites/apps does not support my language setting zh-HK fall back to zh instead of zh-Hant? Especially on mobile Android devices where you can only pick one language as system language.
5.How to represent a document with a mixture of two different languages with IETF language tag (e.g. en-GB-Latn)? Note that the two language is snot used side by side, instead they are used in a fashion like "Watashi's favourite keitai manufacturer wa Apple desu."
6.When Win8's dwm.exe (desktop window manager?) killed itself due to lack of memory, and then using taskmgr > start new task > dwm.exe give no response, how to restart the process?
7.I heard that Symbian were once opensource half decades ago, why no one port that to other phones?
8.How do I keep multiple (3/+) IC cards in my wallet and prevent them from interfering each other while still allow them to work when I tap them onto individual card's reader?
9.How to post on Japanese sites like 2ch outside Japan without buying their pass? They block foreign IP and also vpn
10.Is there any tools that can allow mass upload of pictures in a folder onto a mediawiki-based wikifarm via interfaces provided by mediawiki? I don't have the right to access its database directly by FTP/etc.

11. For Nokia N1 tablet, it use USB type C connector but only support upto the speed that is equivalent to USB 2.0. Which pins have been actually wired in the tablet's socket?
12. As Apple are still releasing new source codes for Darwin OS, how do the fact help opensource community, if it do help in any way?
13. I have a few Android 2.1-2.3 devices stuck in infinite boot loop, including LG E720 and Sharp 007sh, how to resolve the problem? I read that it's possible to use recovery but i can't seems to find a recovery for 007sh.
14. My mom's phone (Xiaomi Redmi original edition running Anddoid - MIUI) keep getting tons of force close without changing any setting beforehand. Local phone shop ppl said it is because of a virus and the only way to deal with it is to wipe the phone. Is there any method to stop those force close from happening and get the contact info out? They are neither stored on sim card nor synced to cloud. The current status of the phone make it impossible to access any menu in the phone.
15. How to enable dual access across different 3G mobile network on a dual sim android phone?
16. Would it be possible for unicode to define a character like tab but with a fixed width and make others adopt it?
17. How do I run apps that are only compatible with Android 2.3 or below in Android 6.0?
18. How to play N-gage games without buying a N-gage nor old Nokia phone, given that no known N gage emulator exist.
19. I have some data stored in a tablet with broken screen and thus cannot be retrieved. The tablet is quite old and no repair shop nor the production company have extra screen in their inventory. If I buy a duplicate tablet of same model from second hand shop and ask a repair shop to exchange the two tablet's screen, will that work?
20. Is there any free alternative to the software PrecisionTree ?

I still need some way of capturing it in which case I may as well just buy a capture card with composite connectivity. Thanks for the recommendation thoguh!

21. How to do a merge non-rectangular cell arrays in wikitable? For instance, in spreadsheet, you can visually make A4, A5 and B4 on the sheet look like it have been merged by cell border setting, despite having cell B5 remain as a separate cell. How to functionally or at least visually make this happen via wikitable code?
22. Does gif file format support something similar to p-frame/b-frame in video encoding? And how to use it?
23. Can Google Chromebook Pixel boot from SD card?
24. How to use Windows Phone's input method in Windows 10
25. Is it really possible to recover data from a failed external flash storage card?

Ok so I kinda fucked up with a duplicate deleter and I have some dlls missing now.

My profile and taskbar icons don't display anymore, and some games don't launch.

Is there some kind of dll fixer, or a way to revert to before ? (Running Win7)

Come on man, why do you have to be so outrageously autistic? No one is going to answer your wall of text.

No problem, I fully support you preserving VHS.

system restore should clear that up

unless you deleted some sort of system restore dll in which case you're fucked

I need some help. I recently re-installed Arch Linux and I want to play CS:GO via Steam, I know that GNU/Linux isn't an OS that is meant to be played on, but it actually ran pretty decently last time. I forgot how I fixed it, but I have the same problem as first time. Whenever I start the game, I get an error message like this (pic). Can someone help me please? If you need more info, just ask.

my dad got an old this puntocellulare.it/schede-cellulari/samsung/samsung_gti9070_galaxy_s_advance.html

he is complaining a lot about battery life: yesterday it lasted basically half a day with 20 short work calls.It was a new battery, bought few days ago.

what could it be that make it so shortlived? ram usage is t roughly 60% and he has only watsup and flashlight installed: he is a minimal user.

Go into settings and into battery. It should show you a nice little list of things that are using up resources, with the biggest battery hog having the biggest percentage and is usually listed first.

Or there could even be a stupid app running in the background 24/7, or malware. Do the same as I said here If all else fails, be a good child and put a custom rom on your father's phone. Custom roms are usually really good at removing bloatware and optimizing stuff that should increase battery life.

Would this be a good card for 1080p at a steady 60 fps?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121926

Fuck the stupid gpu wars fags love to waste their time with.

With that said, the 970 is a good card for 1080p gaming. You should get a steady 60fps on a lot, but not all, games.

Open up control panel and go to uninstall programs,then sort by date and look for any suspicious programs.

Would a reference rx 480 be better?

whats a good free video editing software for wangblows that isn't movie maker?

Is it possible to run shell scripts as root without inputting a password, like passwd does?

I'd rather not use sudo.

I unfortunately have no experience with the 480.

Look, I'm going to be real here. Don't ask here for GPU recommendations if you don't already have a brand in mind. If you're stuck between nvidia and amd and you ask here then you'll start another flame war.

Decide how much you want to spend, look at benchmarks yourself, make note of the games you want to play (some work better with either nvidia or amd) and then go from there. But don't forget what I said to get you started that the 970 is a decent card for 1080p gaming.

Godspeed

torrent premiere and learn how to use it

While there are very decent free video editing programs out there, adobe premiere is unfortunately the most extensive.

not planning to do much

just simple things liketrimming or maybe cropping

In that case then you'll have to wait for another user to answer you.

When I first started editing videos, I also needed nothing more than trimming or cropping. But slowly my needs for video editing grew just because I got started with it. I wanted to improve my videos little by little. You'll be doing yourself a favor by learning how to use Premiere.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear. Just my 2 cents.

Should I attribute all the anti-shilling going on to summer kiddies?

k thanks anyways. If I ever need something more I'll look at premiere

I have a 500gb ssd and 5tb hdd.
The hdd vibrates way too much and so I was thinking abotu replacing it with another 500gb ssd.
would putting another ssd in raid0 cause any issues? and if i ever needed space, would it be viable to put a third 500gb ssd in raid0?

just get foam dampeners for the hdd

you mean me?

I've been the one answering questions. I've never done it in these threads before. I'm just really bored right now.

Also
>been here since '11 mate

You're going to miss having the storage space. Describe your situation a bit more.

Yes, it got really bad in May, hopefully it'll stop once September comes around.

What should I look for when buying hard drives?
My current Seagate 2TB one is slowly but surely dying, so I'm looking for a new one.
Any brands you recommend?

I don't think i'll be missing the storage space. I only use the hdd to download steam games, but i only play 3 games max at any time anyway. I store my documents on cloud.

That's why I was wondering whether it would be safe to put a 3rd ssd in raid0 in case i did end up missing space

I'm talking about all the anti-whatever shilling going on, like the anti-Linux faggot that conflates Linux users with RMS.

these are all my current drives I have been using a 2tb seagate for almost 4 years now with no problems. All the rest of my drives are Western Digital reds and 1 HGST drive.

Good drives tend to come from Western Digital, HGST, and Hitachi. But then again, Seagate is alright too.

If you want something that just werks, get a western digital red. Those are meant to run 24/7 in NAS/server configs. Never had a problem with them. Just look for a hard drive that interests you and do some research on it. Sometimes, a product can come from a good company but have a crippling defect. You never know.

just avoid seagate
they seem to have the highest fault rate according to statistics
i have a 2TB seagate too and its starting to get bad, with 8 sectors damaged after being 316 days on

i recently digitized some Hi8 tapes
i just used a standalone dvd recorder
i tried an old pci capture/tuner card i had lying around, but i couldn't get it to sync very well. a modern one with an integrated encoder would probably be fine though

anything that can do dvd quality or better is fine, dvd is plenty for capturing anything a Hi8 or VHS tape can do

if you're looking for a high quality deinterlacer, check out QTGMC. if they're home videos, they'll probably be interlaced 50/60 fields/s video, so you probably want to deinterlace that to progressive 50/60fps video

What's the most reliable, rock solid microSD card I can buy today? I've been using Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB microSDXC cards, but I don't know whether to blame my phone or the card for this, but the first one is a read-only brick and the second has bad sectors.

So I launched the restore, Win boots up, says the process failed, but everything is back to normal from my point of view.

I'm just gonna roll with it.

I've never actually had a micro sd card go bad on me, that wasn't my own fault. SD card failures are very rare nowadays, as long as you buy them from established companies.

If you want an easy answer, just go with Sandisk. It just werks and has a decent track record.

But I will half shill that you look into buying a shark micro sd. I've owned 3 for months now and they're great. Somewhat faster than my sandisk cards and they look cool.

Head on over to /csg/ and read the wiki linked in the OP if it interests you even slightly.

How make a minimalistic animation? Like in Kurzgesagt?
(I know the programs they use and how to use them,i just want a simpler way).

>I've been using Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB microSDXC cards
Guess it's my phone then. Looks like other people have the same issue with their GS4 bricking their SD cards.

clip related, smooth progressive 50fps

That is sexy. Mind giving me a little more context about it?

there is no simple way !
maybe ask Shounic or RetroAhoy what programs they use
they also do great minimalistic animations on videos
youtube.com/watch?v=UA-EOjtAFx8
youtube.com/watch?v=OipJYWhMi3k

just a piece of a friends' family Hi8 tape
not certain which store, but it's in Australia, taken around 1998 or so
this song is heard playing on the store radio;
youtube.com/watch?v=5JD6ejmlpa8

>'98
>Spice Girls
Of course, why would it be anything else?

Good looking clip regardless. I love it when people post digitized home movies like that.

I want to mount a server with my Raspberry Pi 3.
Already got my external hard drive to mount at boot up, and got an internal static ip adress.

I just want to sync files between my computers, i was thinking to use OwnCloud, but im thinking to use Rsync or even Git.
Suggestions? Thanks.

>Of course, why would it be anything else?
i admit i enjoyed some of their songs at the time (which is why i recognized what it was)
they were pretty popular around that time in NZ/AU

are there any gloves out that is solely made for touchscreen? I hate having smudges on my phone...

Oh and btw, I the SeaTools thing to repair it but get this error:
"Now is a good time to make sure you have a current backup of your important data.

Unfortunately, your Seagate product has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Seagate recommends that you run SeaTools for DOS, which has the ability to repair most problem sectors. SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive."

Is it worth it to try that DOS repair thing, or should I just not bother?

try syncthing

i've done that and there seems to be nothing of note.no applications were even running. he installed almost nothing on that shit.

i think you should try Hiren BootCD tools instead
its great and will probably have the same features and more compared to SeaTools

btw where can i get more info about custom roms? i never gave a fuck about Cellphones, so i know nothing about the enviroment and the custom scene.

consider getting a little stylus instead

I would find carrying gloves to be a nuisance. I have a galaxy note 3 and the stylus really does help keep the screen smudge free.

I've tried this one out before, decent enough but a little expensive for what it is.

amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Executive-Stylus-Touchscreen-Devices/dp/B008ULX012/

Or you can take a slight risk and buy a cheap one here >gearbest.com/stylus-_gear/

At this point, attempting a software repair would be pretty useless. Backup anything overly important to another drive right now. Buy a new drive then clone the old one to the new one.

The important things backup is only just in case your drive fails before the new one comes in. You never know what'll happen with these things.

How easy is it to spoof location data on a phone? Does it require rooting? I want to gather amusement park ride wait times for curiosity's sake of when not to go, but the app apparently uses location data to only serve that information if you're in the park.

Get rid of wingblows 10 you cuck

Is a bluetooth keyboard + Android phone an acceptable alternative to a laptop?

>I love it when people post digitized home movies like that.
bonus

no

im reapplying paste on my laptop cpu and gpu tommorow.
should i let it "settle" for some time or its ok to power on asap?

I've tried stylus, but it never works well for me, plus I last thing I want is to carry around another thing. if there is a glove, I can wear it all day. Im the type of people who wipes my phone every time I put it back into my pocket...

Are there any good ways to have a good ethernet connection to a desktop that is far away from my router? I've looked into powerline adapters but it seems that they have bandwidth issues and I rent so I can't really drill/route a cable through walls and such.

Have you tried running a malware scan? I think malwarebytes has a free android app although I could be mistaken.

It's also a probability that the phone your father has just sucks. But a custom rom might fix it.

First you would need to root the phone. Then install a custom recovery (twrp). And finally install a custom rom.

Telling you how to do this for your specific phone in one reply would be impossible.

Go onto here and search for the model number of your father's phone: forum.xda-developers.com/

Look through the pages and see if there are any nice tutorials for that. Since it'll be your first time, I recommend watching some youtube videos on "how to install a custom rom on android".

Don't worry about fucking up to much. Just watch multiple videos, take your time, and follow a guide.

acceptable alternative?
No

But if you are forced to do it in an emergency then it is completely possible to do.

You don't really have to do that. The most important thing is to apply the thermal paste correctly. For the love of fuck do NOT use a "credit card method" or any other method that requires you to spread around the thermal paste by hand.

Look up a video on how to do it and make sure it goes something like this:
>put a pea sized dot in the middle
>squish the cooler straight down onto the cpu/gpu
>reassemble

The process of putting the cooler back on will naturally spread the paste. Anything else will create air bubbles that will actually increase heat.

A good rule of thumb is to not have desktops far away from your router.

Regardless, look into getting another cheap router. Set it up and make it so it gets it's internet connectivity from your current wifi signal. Then from there just stick an ethernet cable from the router to your pc.

does marshmallow save as much battery life as google would have you believe?

Yeah, I usually follow that rule but might end up in a situation where I can't. In terms of pairing routers, would the the second router being connected over wifi to the first cause any drops in speed/stability for the connection to the computer vs say just putting in a wireless card?

Thanks for the help user.

if you don't configure them properly you can get double nat'd and that would make your connection poor especially with stuff like games.

install tomato or dd-wrt on both and configure both routers properly. you can also use the other router as an AP, doubling the wifi range in your house.

There would be no real difference between a good wifi card and the extra router. Neither should be unstable as long as your current wifi source is good.

It depends on what you want. The router would be a good choice if you want to possibly hook up more things from ethernet in the same room as your desktop. If you don't need more, wifi card is good.

This would be a good consideration too

I see, hopefully I'll be close enough to stick with a cable but thanks for the advice.

just don't get a really long ethernet cable and do it that way

You'll probably have a bad time if you do. Good luck.

This rsync command is copying files again that definitely did not change since my last backup. Why?

sudo rsync -azvhhr --progress --stats --include-from="rsync.conf" *source* *target*

Has the open source Synaptics Linux driver ever been ported to Windows? I'm fucking tired of the retarded Alps drivers they've cucked me with.

How does one create a random number generator? I mean without using existing libraries, how does it work? and how were the existing random number libraries created in the first place?

You basically just mash some stuff together, let people try to attack it for about 10 years, and see how it does. Then you make slight variations on the basic algorithm and let people attack it again to make sure.

That's basically modern crypto algorithms in a nutshell.

My anti virus is saying it's picked up a threat on my Galaxy S5; a system application called "Shell".

Is this actual malware? If so how do I get rid of it?

I'm trying to find a Sup Forums app that I can sideload on my iphone. Any suggestions?

I mean something very simple, like getting a random number between 1 and 10

Oooooh, so that's what /sqt/ means...

>syncthing
Thanks. but i cant start the daemon, no idea what im doing wrong.
Im followign this guide
htpcguides (dot) com/install-syncthing-raspberry-pi-bittorrent-sync-alternative/

and when i do this:
sudo update-rc.d syncthing defaults

i get this:
insserv: warning: script 'K01syncthing' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'syncthing' missing LSB tags and overrides

Any idea?