thats what you get when you forget checksums

>linux
found your problem

>16.04
That was where you fucked up.

>ubuntu
>vanilla ubuntu
lad...

My nephew is tech illiterate and just wants something to rip videos and music off of YouTube. What else should he use?
14 is dead and 15 is on it's way out the door soon. What do you recommend?
I ended up installing Mint yesterday. I think that's the only option regardless of how incompetent the Mint team is.

I verified it a while back, that's not the issue but please continue to shitpost.

>MOM CANCEL MY MEETING, APT-GET FUCKED UP MY KERNEL AGAIN

Install Fedora 24 you retard

>complain about a Linux distro on Sup Forums
>get ad-hominem shitposts
Like pottery.

LMAO NO

Obviously, arch.

Tip top kek

>Can't install loonix
>Uses reddit même answers

I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings by claiming your favorite distro isn't perfect?

I've been using Linux for over 10 years. I just don't bother with babby distros unless I'm installing them for other people.

Honestly I view mint as a stepping stone. I only migrated to linux about a year ago so I'm still fairly new to it all. Once i figure it out i'm moving to arch.

You can't make this shit up hahaha

Idk, man. I just installed Lubuntu a few weeks back and everything worked perfectly.

Did your nephew ask you for Linux?

Has the same issue with 16.04 Ubuntu & Xubuntu on the desktop due to my old graphics card. Try 14.04, should be okay..

>sudo apt-get dist-uprade

JUST

I use Ubuntu Server 16.04 is there anything Else good Linux server os? Using also Debian+mate on old shit laptop.

I have my doubts about this

>uprade

JUST

Yeah, he was using an old version of Mint and he wanted an upgrade since shit kept breaking. I suggested Ubuntu since he's tech illiterate.
After it didn't work out, I just fresh installed Mint and called it a day.

Seriously OP you should just install Mint 17 or something. Ubuntu is shit

Sounds like baby distros outmemed you my friend :^)

If you have to install a starter linux like that go with mint. There's no other option.

Why did he have Mint in the first place? Did his computer not come with Windows installed? Why don't you teach him anything?

He dual boots. He's a knucklehead but wants to learn how to use Linux. I'm teaching him what I know and so far he can do some terminal commands.

which terminal emulator are you using? if it's not yakuake you should stop

Alright. The advice I can give you though is to uninstall Ubuntu and give him Linux Mint 18. I'm fairly new Linux myself, and I've been able to run it bug-free for the last month.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
What graphics card are you using?
apparently my issue is coming from the fact that Canonical dropped support for AMD.

>not installing Xubuntu 16.04
well you deserve to be stuck with windows my friend.

Sup Sup Forums I've a somewhat related question I've tested several distros on a laptop when running on a live usb everything runs great but once installed firefox cold start time goes from 1-2 seconds (live usb) to 2 minutes (installed on hdd).

I've edited the hosts file to properly configure localhost entries (when needed) with no luck i though it could be the HDD but "offline" applications doesn't seems to be abnormally slow.

Ps. Chromium is slow on cold start too, and i can't replicate the issue on my desktop pc.

Did you even format or mount your partitions? All of them?

I formatted the one that had an old version of Mint. I could hear it play the start up jingle, it just doesn't show anything. It works when I do nomodeset, but only in software rendering.

Did you remember to check "Install third-party drivers and software" before you installed? It could be that your display requires proprietary drivers.

Yep, didn't help. And I even double checked while using nomodeset.

why the fuck would you make him use linux if he's tech illiterate then?
if you don't want to bother with installing all his drivers then don't use windows 7. just put w10 on it.
use flashgot from google search in FF

>linux LITERALLY bricks your computer
why do freetards think linux is good again?

Doesn't actually upgrade the version, just the kernel.

Microsoft is mad they had to update Skype for GNU and is taking it out on Sup Forums and other places by excessively trolling and posting outright lies about GNU.

Do not reply to any of these threads, simply report them.

Microsoft Azure servers run linux
Also, fairly certain MS is, if not already, planning on committing back upstream.

It's not 1998 anymore but the %currentYear%

14 is not dead, user. LTS = Long Term Support.

How long will the support last? I don't want to install something that I'm going to need to reinstall in a few months.

14.04LTS only has one more year of support.

You don't reinstall the whole OS user. The version of the OS only changes some of the versions of the individual bits of software used in gnu/linux. From there, you keep everything up to date through the software center etc. You can install a very old version of any distro and end up running the same software as the latest.

Well, that's good enough. He'll probably get another laptop by then anyway. Thanks for not shitposting.

>Babango 16.meme
>not Debian stable net install
c:

Top kek

True that for a beginner vanilla Ubuntu would be best, why not just Windows tho? He won't know how to use Linux or change it later when his friends convince him into joining lol.

>installed ubuntu on my shitty laptop
>its slower than windows 7 on the same hardware
i feel rused

Why Ubuntu though?Why Ubuntu though?

Turn off secure boot in BIOS

I don't know anything about Ubuntu specifically, but some new laptops have problem booting open-source stuff with UEFI. You have to try going with legacy mode (BIOS).