Current top Linux Distro

I'm getting a new laptop soon and want to return to Linux. I've used Mint and Ubuntu in the past... But, want to try something new.

I'm not the type who can compile kernels - which is why I usually stick with Mint.

What's the current "user friendly" Distro? Still Mint and Ubunto? What about Gentoo? Red Hat?

Fedora

Xubuntu, it just werks. If you take the time to learn about how extensions work and find better window decorations for it, Ubuntu GNOME is pretty nice too.

Experiment in this order:
Puppy, Elementary, Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, openSUSE, Manjaro, Arch, Gentoo, You'll find comfy somewhere in there.

Since you have some experience with Debian-based distros, why not take the next step and run Debian Testing?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Piss off freetard.

Thanks for the info, anons!

>dat pic
Nice touch there user.

Do people actually not know this is pasta by now?

Piss off weeny.

No! You can suck it though senpai. :3

our fellow newfriends have no idea

Ubuntu base + Mate desktop. (Not Ubuntu Mate)

Mate never gets enough love

debian doesn't work with some UEFI systems as of yet - even with legacy boob

Fedora or Linux Mint or Ubuntu or Arch Leenux but not Xubuntu those people are weird

Because it just sucks. It lacks so many features and is a fucking mess. Just look at the settings panel.
gorillions of windows for no reason.

>we're gonna use gtk 2 because we're backwards oriented idiots
fuck mate

gtk2 file uploader/downloader dialog is garbage

running xubuntu now.

is elementary worth a try? i hear it's "more beautiful" whatever that means.

mint with the xfce desktop is very comfy.