/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

First for Seikos.

2nd for Seikos

Reminder: This is the Holy Trinity.

I..its like we are brothers. I wonder what else we have in common...

nope leather on divers looks great in many cases

also I fucking hate beer snobbery but Sierra Nevada Celebration and Summerfest are nice

Going to pull the trigger on this either this week or at the end of the month, pretty surprised how hyped I am for it

It's pretty big to be that style and only shows the time when you press the button.

Yeah, I don't get the autism some people have over it. Obviously it ruins part of the functionality of the watch but if you aren't planning on going swimming/diving then it doesn't really matter.

40mm is the sweet spot for my wrist size, even with boxy digitals, and I'm aware of the basic functionality of the watch

lmaoing at that bezel alignment on the turtle

How much is it in burger bucks? If it's like 100-130 I'd probably be down
Do you have to use magnets to set it?

I want a box for my watches, can I get a wooden one for about €50?

One for 5/10 watches and possibly a slot for bracelets/straps would do.

If it's too cheap for a wooden one what's the best alternative?

There's the cheap pleather boxes that a lot of people have here.

Otherwise lots of options, ideally not chink.

I'm Italian, anything of quality I can get for a few bucks more? I really would prefer to avoid fake leather if possible.

>Ideally not chink
It seems like everything comes from chinkland nowadays.

I've seen a few burger made ones on etsy that seemed nice.

But go figure, I'm not in a position to search right now.

>I'm Italian
Why do you keep bringing this up in each thread?

Last time I checked wood and leather manufacturing are a speciality of my country, lots of leather straps for watches are made here for example, thought I might get some premium box for a "discount" price.

Why does it bother you so much?

>having guns out
>while drinking alcohol
And you are everything wrong with the gun violence issue. Why are Amerifats so irresponsible with guns? FFS, why do people still even own guns in non-3rd world countries.

>one beer
>omg you're gonna get drunk and shoot yourself or someone
go back to your safe zone, kid

>drinking only one beer
So you're an homosexual gun freak.

Lad, if I wanted to get piss-drunk, beer wouldn't be my drink of choice.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

o:

Ahh, my Italian friend

You bullied me but I'll give you my advice

Spend as much as you can afford on the box, I wouldn't put watches worth several hundred in a cheap box. I got this bix here given to me. It was $120 Australian, but the Jeweller was a swindle. So it would probably be 50 cuck bucks over where you are

You could get one online, but I'll leave that up to you. Taxes and shieettttt

Oh, yeah my box is pretty good quality, it's actual glass, actual stained wood, no leather which is a good thing, I'd rather suede instead of pleather

Apologies if my post isn't that articulate, I'm a big rretarded at the moment

Why are you drinking alcohol if you don't wanna get drunk, then?
Inb4 he does it for "pleasure".

>You bullied me
Kek, when was that, I bully too many people.
>Spend as much as you can afford on the box, I wouldn't put watches worth several hundred in a cheap box
Yep, this was my thought as well.

€50 for a wooden box seems pretty good. I'd prefer one without the glass, though. At least now I know it's possible to get what I want for cheap, thanks.

How bad is mvmt watches really? I just bought one and it should be arriving soon, and I want to know what I'm in for. Has anybody else had any experience with mvmt watches?

If you never drank a tasty beer in your life, then I can't blame you for valuing it only for it's alcohol content.

I was joking.
Nigga I live in [spoiler]South Tyrol[/spoiler].

that's a weird scale

they're fashion watches. you're paying all of the money for the (bad) looks, because they're made as cheap as possible.

they're hard to read if you get the black dial, word of warning. otherwise they're ok. classic looks good with a nato.

meant for

There's sure a lot of technology-related discussion going on in these threads

>And you are everything wrong with the gun violence issue.

Mentally disturbed people with no access to mental health care and inner city blacks is whats wrong with "the gun violence issue."

Close to 90% if not more of gun deaths are from suicides and inner city homicides (black people) with illegally acquired guns.

Does that user come off to you like either one of those cases?

Can a Tudor Pelagos be gotten with a 5,000 AUD budget? Lately I've become convinced that there is no better sporty watch in that price range

Have a watch movement powered by an electromagnetic tuning fork.

i'm jealous of your Accutron.

Thanks. I got mine for $140. If you keep your eye out you can find some good deals.

>I'm Italian

Who /vintageseiko/ here?

No idea what prices are like down under but in the US retail price is around $4,500 if I remember correctly.

Post thoughts pls

I suspect it's a renamed Traser

Tacticool mall ninja shit

Would you say the same if you hadnt read the Special Ops and Tactical words?

It's a 400$ watch

Hi.

Pretty sure any GS is better than Pelagos mate.

lovely. got more? which model and how much did you pay?

>Had the 5216 on the wrist and on the winder for 2 weeks
>Check it this morning before going to work
>Running 6 seconds slow
>After 2 weeks

Now all I need are new gaskets so I can wear it on rainy days. But it is basically the $110 chronometer.

How could such a based caliber exist

Im soooo jelly. I saw some on eBay but afraid to buy, is there something similar but new?

blegh

Where did you find it at if you don't mind me asking?

Not really.

But unless they are in the same state as my project watch, they are usually in decent shape and may just need to get lubed and regulated.

>wood and leather manufacturing are a speciality of my country

If you can track down a 4S15 then you've basically got a "modern" 52 caliber. But they are absolutely balls hard to find, and very expensive when you do find them. You're honestly better off just finding a 5206 in nice condition for around $150. As Jewfriend said, they usually just need a service from a competent watchmaker.

>Lately I've become convinced that there is no better sporty watch in that price range
Stop doing drugs.

I got it around a year ago for $35. I am not sure what the model is.

I got the Accutron on ebay. It was listed as $300 USD, but I made an offer and the seller accepted. The seller was in Canada, and the Canadian dollar was ~ $.50 USD at that time, so that probably helped.

My friend just got a gold filled accutron RR 218 for $100.

Not him, but I would. Try to get a deep blue T100 one used for just a little bit more or a borealis scout sniper if you really want tritium.

what's the diameter of the poljot?

Please stop associating me with that cringy individual, thanks.

I just measured it. It is 35.2mm without the crown and 41.8mm lug to lug.

thx senpai

I'm everybody's favourite name fag. You'll know who. Hung the boot ups on these threads. So I stopped naming

But yeah, it's perfectly possible. I'm not sure how much you are into watches but a decent watch box will literally last forever, you could give it to your kids

The glass is replaceable for pretty cheap

I'd probably bite the bullet, pay a bit extra and get one from a brick and mortar store, you could judge the quality then. Guess you'd be supporting the local economy as well

Eyy

>support the local economy
I won't give a single penny to these pieces of shit if I can avoid it. It's chinese shit anyway. Which is ridiculous when you think we're in the alps and krauts traditionally work the wood here.

I can spend a little more than €50 if it's a decent box.

>namefag
Then it wasn't bullying.

Eurocuck the post

r8 my 5$ chink shit

I'm not the one selling chines shit. Might as well buy it online for less.
I would be embarrassed to wear that shit even if it costed me €5.

>Does that user come off to you like either one of those cases?
Playing devil's advocate but there is nothing about that post that guarantees that he isn't mentally ill.

what model is the far right one? i dont think ive ever been in love with a watch

>costed

>I'm Italian

I know, I know, it's cost.
Another one I keep getting wrong.
He's a fake Italian.

Just get a Marathon.

He's obviously not a native English speaker.

>He's a fake Italian
>duh hur he not no real nigguh like me he a fake ass nigga mane
That's what you sound like.

>dur hur he not no real burger like me he a spaghetti nigga mane
That's what you sound like.

Only poor Seiko fags who cannot afford real watched would say that. Just look at this abomination, can you honestly say that this is better than the Tudor?

That watch actually costs almost twice as much so I'm not sure "poor" is the right word.

Well first of all, Seiko didn't write an essay on the dial

The movement is definitely better. I wouldn't go for that style of dial and case myself though.

Exactly, paying that much for a quartz that looks ugly like that is pure insanity.

Ordered this, how'd I do

A lot of people think the pelagos looks ugly too, what's your point? Also dismissing a spring drive movement as just "quartz" is pretty disingenuous.

>not appreciating electromechanical movements

Because you are, fuck off guinea.

You did very well, it's a nice watch.

you're a poorfag

get a fucking job

I do have a job nigger, but I'm not gonna spend lots of emone just to look at the time.

What color watch goes well with a navy suit and a white or light blue shirt?

I currently wear a Citizen with a grey metal body, a black dial and a black plastic strap. It has served me well but it's time to move on.

White or grey dial. Black is universal.

For cheap but dressy watches that look good with suits, look at some of the Seiko LM models on ebay. King Quartz also applicable.

I'm pretty sure I just got my colleague to buy one of these after he noticed my watch and we talked about watches a bit.

>IV
I only noticed it today. I checked the Raketa catalogs and every roman numeral watch they made had "IV", up until around 1980 when the old roman numeral models disappeared from the catalogs and replaced by new designs with the common "IIII".

Seriously, no diversification here. It is all fucking Seiko automatics, Seiko 5s, Grand Seikos.

I got some ideas for some good watches for you all.
Beautiful dress watches in the same price range include Orient Bambino and Orient Symphony, beautiful finishes and a rotor that works 5x better than the rotor on the Seiko 5's.
Tissot Automatics, one of the cheapest brands you can get with an ETA movement in it, that is Swiss made.

Even unique watches, like the Atomic Citizens, the Bulova Accutron w/ Tuning Forks, the Bulova Precisionists (which are phenomenally accurate and sweep fluidly), and Citizen perpetual calendars.

Hell, I would even try some watches with Sea-Gull movements in it, they are less than $100 and are pretty durable and accurate, like Parnis'. And also some great German watches out there like Zeppelin.

These are all within the below $500 price tag... generally, sometimes a bit over. Needless to say, Seiko does have some reliable movements for pretty cheap, but I don`t understand the hysteria over a good Orient or even Citizen automatic using a Miyota, or some of the interesting Bulovas out there. I find the power reserves on my Orients and Miyota automatics last way longer than Seiko 5's, and you get a diversified look whether going with Citizen or Orient. Not to say that the Seiko 5 is bad at all, it is a good watch for the money, just hasn't impressed me to the exception placed on it aesthetically or mechanically.

is this copypasta? You're moaning about seeing too many seikos but then you suggest babby's-first-watch-collection tier brands?

The reason Seiko 5's are so widely recommended, is because there are literally thousands of different styles, so there is something for everyone's taste, at a low price tag.

Grand Seikos I find are iffy, there are some hideous models, like the diver pictured earlier in this thread, then we have the user with the Highbeat 36000. Which is beautiful. If people are spending that kind of money, they're looking around for something they really like anyway, so you can hardly recommend one on the off. nor do people.