/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread:IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec/tree/master/x230.G2HT35WW.img.d
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec/blob/master/README
monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042803&p_id=5714&seq=1&format=2
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads#Method_2:_Sand_down_the_nubs_to_fit_in_the_T430_Palmrest
support.lenovo.com/fi/fi/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-X-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-X230?linkTrack=GPS%3ABody_Browse+Products%7CSub-Series+Selected&tabName=downloads&beta=false
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T450-i5-5300-8GB-16SSD-500GB-1600x900-Backlit-KB-Warranty-/222182255173?hash=item33bb182a45:g:lOQAAOSw3ydVmsZh
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I bought an X240 at retail price and I'm never gonna teach myself to use a clit mouse
Roast me

How warm is your X220 right below the lcd panel, above the power button? I guess that's the inverter board behind the bezel toasting things up

What IPS screen should I get for my X220
I keep reading things about screens with ghosting and white spots so I want to make sure I get one that is not shit

Not as hot as a Google Pixel with 10 tabs open and streaming video.

Interesting, I havent heard about a problem like that on the X61T. I own one and I know that laptop likes to get hot, mainly from the stock WiFi card.
I am guessing that motherboard is just bad.

Thats pretty fucking annoying tho.

Do what you want.

Ubuntu 16 is working great so far. Havent had any problems so far with my 220 tablet. All the small accessories like the rotate screen buttons, finger print etc works like a charm.

Is it possible to get a chink 9 cell tablet battery that will have better capacity than a Lenovo 6 cell battery, or will they just shit the bed after 3 months?

How many hours would a new 6 cell lenovo tablet battery last for? Currently my laptop lasts for 2 hours on lowest screen brightness.

Two keks.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a first gen pixel for $420. Use case is going to be school, long periods of down time between classes. Also comfy home media consumption. Going to run arch or debian. Any advice? Things to look for? Good upgrades or accessories? Think I could run portage with out waiting an eternity?

Who's also in the master race?

Is it possible on a T420 to swap out the screen from the 1366x768 to the 1600x900 one?

What Chinkpad

Are you blind?

Shut up.

Maybe he's using a CRT and that X220 logo is hidden in the shitty black levels

Yes. You will also need the HD+ cable.

That's not an x230.

Thanks! Actually helpful info.

just put a 120gb Intel mSata in my t420

>x230
>encrypted bios
>shit keyboard
>cancer authentication chip in the battery
>minidisplayport instead of displayport
no thanks

>x220 tablet

How are these things, any good?

I've always thought they looked interesting. What's the opinion here on them?

What's the best thinkpad for a girly girl?

How's the battery life of the x220 tablet compared to the standard thinkpad?

IPS?

Nope, IPS drains too much power and overloads the inverter in this model, unless you get the specific one out of three available panels.

Which panel might that be?
I was thinking of replacing mine with an IPS panel.

the one that doesn't have the ghosting effect. Search for this issue on thinkpad forums

>stock wifi card is fine
>swap classic keyboard
>keyboard fix and batt auth bypassed by EC flash
>being so poor as to not be able to afford a miniDP to DP cable

>Implying chinkshit batteries are good
>implying miniDP is not space efficient

>stock wifi card isn't ac, so you can't stream your gaymes into it (like I do on with 7260ac)
>which is unstable as fuck and you loose couple of buttons, also need to replace entire palmrest and the fingerprint reader
>there is no such a thing as batt auth bypass you lying little slut
>implying I'm gonna carry my mdp cable everywhere
kill yourself
implying genuine x220 batteries aren't cheaper

THX bro, Im guy writing about ethernet and keyboard problem

Just replaced my "old" new keyboard. It was tested on another machine that it was borked. So far I dont see any issues now. Ethernet is also up w/o problems but my chinkpad was just booted minutes ago. If I encounter same problem I will let you guys know for the sake of chinkpad users comunity.

I have one.
I like it.

I want to get one to draw on.
Can it play Hi10p 1080p animu?

>gaymes
you have to be 18 to post here
>unstable
[citation needed]
>loose (sic) couple of buttons
>I use Fn+F3, Fn+F12 and Fn+Space daily
>replace palmrest and fingerprint reader
You don't though.
>no such thing as batt auth bypass
There is, it works, and you can charge genuine x220 batteries. Read the documentation on the EC flash.
>implying I'm gonna carry my mdp cable everywhere
but carrying a DP to DP cable is normal

How embarrassing. Delete your post you ignorant faggot.

Probably. I've heard confirmation of those playing on the t420 and that has the same cpu. The 2520m iirc.

>Read the documentation on the EC flash.
Nice sauce you got there, you little shit. Fuck off.
>you have to be 18 to post here
Fun fact: there are more adults playing gaymes than kids
>but carrying a DP to DP cable is normal
DP is a standard cable type in all companies. mDP is not and it requires separate cable/adapter.
>You don't though.
You do, also backlight (which is the only reason to own x230) and capslock light.
Please shoot yourself

I also have one and I love it.

A Macbook Air.

Bear in mind the digitiser has issues with the cursor having a tendency to ingest a few kilograms of ecstasy around the edges of the display, that is it dances around because lolwacom. A few round of calibration and firmware update helps but it won't completely go away, same with the X230t

Oh and watch the rubber tabs on the sides. They'll run away after a few years and the only real way to get new ones is a new keyboard bezel

Cell for cell, it's close enough to the regular X220, bearing in mind the X220t does not have a 9 cell

of course it does have a 9cell option you stupid baka

Does anyone in /tpg/ have experience with libreboot?

I just flashed it with no problem but now I have no idea how to boot anything but the HDD.

don't bother. You'll loose about 50% of the CPU performance

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec/tree/master/x230.G2HT35WW.img.d
After you clone the github repo, rename
>006_battery_validate.patch.OFF
to
>006_battery_validate.patch
before patching between steps 6 and 7 as shown in the dead-simple step-by-step readme
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec/blob/master/README

>there are more adults playing gaymes than kids
"""""adults"""""
>separate cable/adapter
I really need a load-bearing rucksack for this.
monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042803&p_id=5714&seq=1&format=2
>you do
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads#Method_2:_Sand_down_the_nubs_to_fit_in_the_T430_Palmrest
You literally don't. Stop spreading disinfo. Process is the same for the x230.
>backlight
What is the thinklight that has been the standard for keyboard lighting since forever?
>the only reason to own x230
I guess you just hate better graphics performance, cooler temps, better battery life, newer processors, and USB3 on every model.
>capslock light
The world will certainly end.

Don't boot anything but the HDD? How would I go about reinstalling my OS then?

My x220 battery is dying, are these worth it?

How much is a legit non-china 9cell gonna cost me?

Hey Sup Forums, what should I map my Thinkvantage key to on Linux?

Shredding the hdd

firefox --new-window meatspin.com

Is it possible to frankenpad my 14" 4:3 T60 with a similar sized T61 to get dat penryn CPU?

How are the new thinkpad models these days?

I'd like to get a pretty modern computer, one that can handle several displays at once.

Is it just me, or can the x220t not support connecting to two other monitors on Windows 10? At work I tried connecting it to one monitor with Displayport and another identical monitor with the remaining VGA port and it would only allow me to extend my display to one of the monitors. Anyone else have this issue or a solution to it?

I've got a long business trip incoming. Way too long for my taste.

Anyone tried Morrowind or Oblivion on a T400?

Modern Thinkpads aren't as good as the old ones, but they're solid machines. Not that hard, though, considering the competence.

If you want to have several displays, you're not going to be moving much. Get a desktop.

If you want to have several displays yet still be mobile, get a desktop and a Thinkpad to take around when needed.

The point of Thinkpads is that older models are very capable machines that you can buy for very little money, and they're very resistant to damage.

Something that you do often but not often enough to be worth a Fn key+ shortcut in the keyboard.

stupid nigger. I just upgraded my old x230 to the x220 and I'm not gonna revert it back just because of the keyboard. FUCK YOU

I accept your apology.

>loose

Complete noob here, I can get a T420 with the following specs:

1600*900
4GB (would love 8 but I can upgrade later)
320 GB HDD, 7200 rpm (same, I have a spare SSD I'd I want to change)
DVD & webcam

for a bit less than 160 USD. Is this ok?

lose
fuck off

>if I*
Also forgot to ask, is there anything else I should ask the seller? Battery is rated 4h.

What is a good modern laptop then?

is dock worth it?

What do you want to do with it?

I always thought the trackpoint was a meme, but damn it's comfy to use

I'm slowly starting to use it more than the touchpad

got a new T460 with the european student discount recently and it's a really nice machine

maybe it's not as good as the older ones (I can't compare myself, so I don't know) but it definitely feels more solid than any consumer laptop

>A Macbook Air.
Don't be like that

If I want a brand new x1c (EPP code, so not insanely expensive) Is it more economical to buy the lowest ram/hard drive possible and them swap in on my own or would that be to difficult

>Requirements:
Run silverlight
Be extremely durable.
Have linux friendly hardware

>Desires:

be able to plug it into 2 additional displays at work.
Be able to run some light gaming (morrowind, stellaris, etc)
Be fairly portable, so that I can bring it with me to court.

I'm considering a high end Surface Pro right now, but I've heard the linux compatibility on those is shit. Also been looking at mac offerings, but I don't want to support their industrial practices.

configure your touchpad to be a single huge scrolling device, that way you can use your thumb to scroll

>Currently have a ThinkPad T61
>Keyboard is godlike
>Nice and quick with an SSD
>Middleton BIOS

I want something with a nicer screen and something that isn't so heavy. Are there any good new ThinkPads, or am I better off with something like a Dell Latitude E7440?

I use the T61 in a dock most of the time, so the weight part isn't a huge deal

dont buy a macbook if you're not gonna run os x on it

I don't think the surface pro is very linux friendly, I imagine lots of stuff won't be working

isn't the ram soldered to the motherboard on the x1c?

I plan to dualboot whatever I get.

that's what I'm wondering
is it the same with the x260?

Mine launches a terminal window. I find it pretty handy.

how thick is an x220? is it actually portable?

>Is a laptop even portable

maybe he's from the "muh thin" audience and the x220 will break his back, who knows

ok i still have issue with ethernet but just turning chinkpad off for few minutes seems to solve that and it works again

Hello fellow Business Laptop Guys,

any opinions on the Tecra R940?
I could get a good deal for 370 Euros.
With 3rd. gen i5, 8 GB Ram, 240GB SSD, 1.600 x 900.
Any opinions especially on the display and build quality?

hol up. Does the x1 carbon NOT HAVE AN ETHERNET PORT

I got a t420i with the lowest i3 processor. should I get the best i7? Should I get a quad core i7?

An inch. Of course it is, unless you're a pansy.

That's part of the portable design! Having a usb adaper with you at all times is not annoying at all.

Is what you're doing being limited by the CPU? If not, I wouldn't upgrade.

No. I have no idea why that piece of shit is so popular.

Just bought a i5-2520m 4g 320hdd x220.What are good idle temps for my cpu? And what are good temps using NetBeans and MySQL workbench?

How does the 12" screen compare to the 14"? Its one of those things I have no experience with as the only modern 16:9 screen I've had was 17"

I was looking for long lasting battery laptops and saw both lenovo x260 and t460 last 17 hours.

Which one would you choose? And why?

>order a t460
>order a sleeve to go with it
>laptop departs from hong kong
>1 day later the sleeve departs from hong kong too
>3 days later the sleeve arrives
>laptop still awaiting ups departure signature

What the fuck?

14 inch is fine. Doesn't feel that much smaller than 15", specially when I had 15" for nearly 10 years

It's 16:9 as well, so you shouldn't feel weirded out like with 1280x800, 16:10 screens.

Now compares to a 12", it is a good difference. A cousin has a 12" and I had to get closer because its resolution was also 1368x768.

>UPS
I hate that piece of shit company, I avoid it like the plague, I prefer DHL which jasnt failed me since 2006, unlike UPS which failed me the first and last 2 times.

When you get your t460 give us a quick review tho, I want one too

I didn't get to choose unfortunately, lenovo did it all by themselves.

Sure thing, if it ever arrives kek.

Made fresh win 10 install and demolished thinkpad partition. Is any of these lenovo programs useful should I install any?

support.lenovo.com/fi/fi/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-X-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-X230?linkTrack=GPS%3ABody_Browse+Products%7CSub-Series+Selected&tabName=downloads&beta=false

What are the specs btw?

x series are 12.5'' actually. And if you study and move your computer much it's really 10/10.

Can you make trackpoint more sensitive? I think some times I need to push it too hard.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T450-i5-5300-8GB-16SSD-500GB-1600x900-Backlit-KB-Warranty-/222182255173?hash=item33bb182a45:g:lOQAAOSw3ydVmsZh

About to buy for school in august. Comp science at decent community college as far as nigger schools go. How long do you think it will take me to compile gentoo with cinnamon and a browser

>pull trigger
y/n pls respond

Im just wondering how a smaller screen would affect typing and watching videos. I know I could alwayws end up getting a dock to attach monitors later on, but I'm looking at an upgrade from my mcdonalds tier job hopefully soon

Pretty basic, i5 6300HQ, 8gib ram, an aftermarket ssd, integrated intel gpu, and the IPS 1440p screen.

>Alright processor
>Good ram amount
>One of those hipster ssd+hdd hybrids, but with a petty 16gb of ssd
>Alrighr resolution, not too small, not too big
>6 hours of battery minus its usage

Seems alright for the price

Going to upgrade the panel when I can afford it. HDD is unacceptable so I'll probably just throw it in my tower and get a sandisk ssd. It's really just going to be a glorified media consumption tool. Main use case is that I'm taking the bus to school and my schedule sucks so I'll have a lot of time to kill in the library some days.

Where from in the UK is the best place to get components for my W520? Thinking of crucial 16GB RAM with an MX200 + Travelstar 7k1000. I would buy from Amazon but the prices have ramped up by around £20...