amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006YG8X9Y
ctl.net/ctl-j5-rugged-convertible-chromebook-tablet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why would you ever want to run android apps over desktop apps

Because they cost less than $200 for a fully capable machine

>but muh thinkpads

Time to grow up, grandpa

>WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW
This is the cringiest thing you could ever say, just go back to 9gag or reddit and never come back.

>not installing gentoo

because chrome desktop apps sucks, even w10 store has more to offer. launhing android apps on chromebooks was the only way for them to survive.

Fuck you, Google. This is the shittiest advertisement you can make. Sup Forums is not that stupid. Your shit will never be a Meme.

>google facebook machine is FOSS
dumbest shit I've ever heard

It can run thousands of shitty Android apps and it's still a useless piece of junk to me, imagine that.

My xps 13 can run android apps too.

oh and thanks to touchscreen they can actually be used as intended

But Chrome is a Gentoo derivate

>Can run full linux installs
Until I actually can dual boot ChromeOS and a distro without having to go into ChromeOS devmode beforehand, I don't consider it able to run a full linux install.

I honestly don't understand why it's so hard for Google to make something that's usable outside of MUH CLOWD. Yeah their services are handy and I know it's their baby, but fuck me if their baby isn't useless without an internet connection.

It's completely fine without internet. Everything but actually browsing the internet works fine without a connection.

Nice b8 newfag

Why do people say that unity is too demanding for chromebooks? Gnome I get, but I'll never understand why most tutorials for crouton will recommend xfce over unity.

I moved from my home for a year and survived a year with a Chromebook.

Lubuntu is the way to go, especially when I can't do my shit on Chrome OS.

I still use my chromebook as fapping and bed device.

Chrome OS is based on Gentoo

You know you can get sub-$200 laptops with the same specs that aren't useless, right? Android apps on the desktop is a fucking joke. They're useless.

most mobile apps are vomit.

>running phone/tablets apps is now considered good

>I can now run Firefox on ChromeOS

TECHNOLOGY

I'm curious why get this Android tablet with a permanent keyboard over a regular laptop with more RAM, more local storage, and a real desktop OS?

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YZAGKEQ

Specs:
>$292
>CPU: 4 x86 Beema cores @ 2-2.4 GHz, A8-6410 (15W max TDP, 2516 CPU passmark)
>GPU: 128 GCN cores @ 800 MHz, R5 6410
>4GB RAM (1 free RAM slot)
>500GB HDD
>DVD drive
>1366x768 15.6" screen
>Wifi, Bluetooth, SD card reader

You can even upgrade the RAM later on to 12GB total for less than $30 later on.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006YG8X9Y

>google product

into the bin it goes

>get Toshiba Chromebook 2
>flash full ROM
>able to install full Linux, Windows, and now even OS X is supported on i3 models
>1920x1080 IPS display with some of the best color accuracy available in a laptop display as opposed to the TN panels in the Macbook Air

If you do your research before you buy, you can spend barely any money to get a computer that will competently handle everything short of gaming for $300 or less.

Can you upgrade the RAM?

Nope. Like almost every other laptop in the ultraportable size category, the RAM is soldered to the board.

>i3 model costs almost $400
>celeron variant is a HUGE piece of shit especially in performance
lmao

Fucking dropped. I'm so sorry I ever considered a chromebook.

Great, now my Laptop can lag too and not get updates. Maybe I could install Curry ROMs on it.

>real OS
>windows
>>Sup Forums

Well being fair, if that was really the straw that broke the camel's back for you, Chromebooks and ultraportables aren't what you're in the market for to begin with.

You get a Chromebook when you want an ultrabook, but you don't want to spend that much on one. So you get a Chromebook, flash a full BIOS, and use whatever OS you want.

>the Lenovo linked has a fucking 1366x768 display
>also much larger than any 13" Chromebook
>absolutely no mention of battery or battery life, meaning 6 hours is being optimistic

Not a fair comparison. You'd be better off using a similarly sized and specced laptop. 13", SSD by default, 1080p display, and 6+ hours of battery life.

>chrome OS is better
fuck off

Can I play Pokemon Go with it?

Take...these broken memesssssss

What ROM do you flash in?

For the Chromebook 2 or Acer C720P, you'd use Coolstar's ROM. From there he has guides for Windows 10 and OS X on both. The Celeron/Pentium models of those as well as other brands will work for Linux and Windows for the most part. Dell's 13 inch Chromebook is a different beast because nobody's ported the trackpad or keyboard backlight drivers to Windows or OS X yet, and Coolstar's ROM also doesn't include said drivers yet because poorfags don't want to pay extra for what amounts to Toshiba's Chromebook 2 with a better battery, better trackpad, and better build quality.

Neato.

let me guess... a thinkpad?

>grandpa
>time to grow up
choose one, mongoloid

assuming that he is indeed talking about thinkpads

>at least 5x heavier
>literally no battery life in comparison
>hardware is breaking down at the seams
>have to carry a huge power brick
>no USB 3.0

The list goes on

I say this as a /tpg/ regular and an ex-user of both thinkpads as well as Chromebook. Recognize one's utility without bashing the other.

My waifu... Whenever it finally comes out. Better specs than the Toshiba, at a lower price. I've bought several of CTL's devices in the past and they've all been high quality.

>> muh games

Nvidia GameStream baby! I'm turning my rig into a headless Windows "server" with a virtualized linux media server running in the background.

Shit, forgot the link

ctl.net/ctl-j5-rugged-convertible-chromebook-tablet

Just wish that version of ChromeOS could be ported over to the CR-48 nowadays. Google stopped development of the OS for that model last December sadly, would love to be able to run some of my Android apps directly on it, dammit.

>fucking Google
>the CR-48 still works great, just a little slow, but fully capable of running the latest ChromeOS with Android app support, they just won't push an update to do it
>fucking hell

Because they have fucking Mali GPUs and Unity sucks.

there is even a thinkpad Chromebook, even more check make

Are there any decent chromebooks on ARM or some similar cpu? Except for Lemote Yeeloong or shit like that.

ASUS C201, can run libreboot as well

I have a slightly different variant of that laptop it has a i5-5200u instead of an AMD processor) and i wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy it has so many problems.

>wifi doesnt work half the time
>5200rpm seagate
>The only laptop with more body flex is the LG Gram
>keyboard flex is unbearable
>Lenovo's system settings app is dogshit
>fn+f4 is the same as Alt+f4 causing me to quit shit when changing the volume in the dark
>its a 1366x768 15" laptop in the first place

I bought a t420 to replace it.

mine is rated at 4 hours, i got about 2.5/3 out of it's 32Wh battery with just basic web browsing.

>$200
>1366x768
>armshit
>phone apps

>arm shit

Yea no. A lot of models now have Celeron, Pentium, or i3. Current gen Celeron cpus at Emory than enough for what a standard user needs.

I have the Celeron 3215U in my Toshiba CB2. Even the limited ssd on board storage isn't a problem because I can connect to my windows share over the network through ChromeOS easily.

Not to mention I get close to 10 hours battery life. Meanwhile my T420 with I is lucky to get 3 on a 9 cell.

The only one which looks decent.

>3 on a 9 cell
buy a new one or at least scam a free one out of the recall. I get at least 8 on mine.

Mind elaborating on this? I don't know how Chromebooks work, why can't you dual boot or wipe the chrome OS? And where does crouton fit in this shit

>8 hours
>T420
lol k

Chromebooks are just baby laptops with ChromeOS installed with write protection. Each CB is different with how to remove the write protection. Some are as easy as a little sticker inside the laptop itself. From there, you can wipe the internal storage. Flash a custom BIOS to allow for different OS install, and boot from any USB stick as you would normally.

Granted depending on model, the Chromebook may not have decent Linux or Windows drivers.

Not to mention the limited internal storage of 16-32GB. The Toshiba CB2 has a replaceable m.2-2242 ssd. A 250GB variant can be had for $60 on newegg usually.

Lastly is crouton with is the ability to run a full OS, but in a hypervisor essentially. Think a virtual machine. ChromeOS is still running in the background.

>These things can now run Android Apps
Great! I always wanted to use phone apps on my laptop!

>They are cheap as hell
The build quality and screens certainly don't make you forget that.

>They have god tier battery life
Aren't most at 7-8h battery life, which is pretty standard by now, and almost low when compared to Applel.

>Can run full linux installs
A LAPTOP THAT CAN RUN A DIFFERENT OS, AWESOME.
Also this tends to rape performance and battery life.

>FOSS as shit
Citation needed.

Until you consider the crazy price and no storage.

B-but I can use a huge ass battery and keep the screen brightness very low and deactivate wifi!

>literally buying locked down hardware that tries to prevent the user from install another OS
>freetardism

Yeah no. I'm going to keep supporting Microsoft and Windows laptops.

Good choice, Pajeet.

stay mad tripfag

screen brigtness in on 75%

>FOSS as shit
>locked BIOS

>1600x900
>T420
u w0t m8

>projected battery life
>worth anything
I saw XPS showing 20h, even tho it barely lasts 8 or Macbooks showing 15h even tho they usually last 9.

I find it usually is a good estimate. but i can see how some machines would have issues with it not being correct.

>I find it usually is a good estimate
It's decent enough if your workload is constant, and the software is not pure shit but this also means that the workload would be a very fluid and subjective thing, not helping with comparison. You might get indeed 8h out of it, somebody else not even 5h; so perhaps you would get like 12h out of a laptop that lasts for 8h for most others.

Just buy a cheap 2-in-1 windows laptop for fucks sake.

pretty sure you guys bit some high quality bait

I've been running GalliumOS on my Toshiba Chromebook for a few weeks now and I'm very happy. These guys have basically repackaged Ubuntu and ironed out all of the driver issues for specific Chromebooks. Just select your model and install. Pretty much worked out if the box.
It's allowed me to do so much more with the chromebook. A very good super portable PC.

I really wish it was bait

HP Chromebook 13