/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/

Put your stupid tech questions here so you don't shit up the board.

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7950_CrossFire/3.html
coolgamingaccessories.co.uk/Accessories.html?Manufacturer=XINMENG
pcpartpicker.com/list/wqFP3F
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not really, unless you've fucked up the cable management.

Can you just cut cables off a power supply if you don't need them? I can confidently say I will never use a molex connector, yet my PSU has four of them that I have to shove down the side of the case.

Quick question:
I use an old laptop for downloading. Whenever I connect an external HDD via USB when I want to transfer files it sometimes shows an error 'This device can perform faster'. I'm pretty sure this is an error since it only happens occasionally and works fine most of the time. Then a message pops up saying I need to format said HDD before using it. I've been using the HDD for a while already and it's still fairly new, 10 months old and I don't want to damage it. I always unplug it when this happens since I don't want to format the drive since it's already working and I'm pretty sure the USB port is the problem.

My question is since my laptop doesn't have the 'safely remove hardware' when this happens and I unplug the HDD is there a chance that it will break or corrupt it? How do I safely remove it when this happens?

I wouldn't suggest it, just coil them up and fixate them with cable fixer.

Next time buy a modular PSU.

What language is this on her screen? Maybe someone recognizes the structure.

'This device can perform faster' Usually comes up when you have more than one speed usb port on your system. Like if you have 3.0 ports and 2.0 ones, and you attach a 3.0 capable drive to one of the slower ones, it's letting you know you might have better results when you move it. Is 'safely remove hardware' available for flash drives?

on android does using something like poweramp use more battery than the stock player that comes with the phone? (xiaomeme in my case with poweramp pro)

What are some Sup Forums approved alternatives to peerblock?

it's a rails view

The thing is I plugged it into the same USB port for a while now and it only happens on occasion. Sometimes the error shows up and sometimes it doesn't. I'm sure my USB ports aren't jumping from 2.0 to 3.0

None. Peerblock is placebo. Get actual security

OS? Is 'safely remove hardware' available for flash drives?

I've got everything tied in place with tons of wire ties to the point where the wires wont move at all

I'm not sure why you're asking then. It sounds like you've got a much better idea of your setup than we do.

Is it a modular or non-modular PSU?

Win7
I'm not using a flash drive, it's an HDD but no, the safely remove hardware isn't available. The external HDD doesn't show up in My Computer.

>Can you just cut cables off a power supply if you don't need them?
A bad idea. A current still runs through those cut off cables. Get a fucking modular PSU.

Right, I mean if you do connect a flash drive, does IT get a Is 'safely remove hardware' message? And when was the last time you were able to access the contents of the HDD? Does it not show up in my computer right now?

If I connect a flash drive the 'safely remove hardware' message shows up.
If I connect a flash drive and the 'this device can perform faster' message shoes up then the 'safely remove hardware' message does not shows up.

If I connect an HDD the 'safely remove hardware' message shows up.
If I connect an HDD and the 'this device can perform faster' and 'this needs to be formated before use' message shows up then the 'safely remove hardware' message does not shows up.

The last time I was able to access my HDD it was working fine. As I said, the error shows up sometimes, not all the time and whenever it does show up I unplug it and plug it back in, the same port mind you, and it works fine afterwards.
The HDD shows up fine in My Computer if it's working properly, it does not show up when the error messages show up.

What happened to the desktop rice general?

A somewhat theoretical question about thermal wear/damage and GPU arrangements.

I have two GPUs rated for 150 W. For a while they set one above the other in an open upright case (CM 690 II) mining shitcoins most the time. Their temps were never exceeded the suggested. Has the mining (theoretically) reduced the top GPU's lifetime by significantly more the bottom one's because of the heat rising from the bottom GPU?

How do I spoof my location on my phone so I can collect all the pocketmonsters without having to go outside and potentially interact with normies?

Don't need a walk through,
just the best starting point.

Please excuse the missing/extra words.

no

Semi

Also, are PSu cables Interchangeable with other PSUs?

ie can i just leave them as they are and plug them into another

Yeah, those are standardized

Hi Sup Forums

I need to disable onboard graphics. Everything I've read says the option is in BIOS but I can't find it. Pic related is the integrated peripherals menu. It should be here I think, but it doesn't look like it is. Can supply more pics of the bios menus if needed.

erb to be specific

If you are on Windows, then you can just turn it off in the device manager.

Try going into power options in the control panel.
change plan settings
then click change advanced
expand usb and check that Usb selective suspend is disabled.

I would also consider downloading the drivers for your usb controller and reinstalling them.

And if your device shows up anywhere you should have the option to right click and eject, which is better than nothing.

just got home today and now my computer has sound distortion in and out of games, as well as massive fps drops.

all drivers are up to date any ideas as to why its doing this?

What's the general rule for const-ness of functions that don't manipulate the state of an object but manipulate resources owned by it? For example, a Texture object might have a function SetValues(data* data) that doesn't manipulate the object itself but does change data managed by OpenGL.

Awesome

I was planning on going from CX600M to a RM650

All i need to do is move around the 24pin right?

Every day the Ubuntu software updater says I have over 200mb of updates to install

I click install, it tells me some packages are from unauthenticated sources, I click ok, but then it just goes away seemingly without downloading anything. When I try to manually open software updater it says "Failed to download repository information, please check your internet connection"

Surely there's a way to just install these updates from the terminal and cut out this software that's apparently not even downloading the updates, right?

Let's see, would you want a const function to change some value?

I have two 7950s in two different PCs one I am not using right now. Now I am wondering if I crossfire will this boost performance and by how much? If you want you can compare two 7950s to a single card which would help me gauge I'd it is actually worth taking the card out of the unused PC is worth it.

>Usb selective suspend is disabled
What would that fix exactly?

a seedbox or vpn. peerblock does not work. you don't get security for free

How did you recognize that?

techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7950_CrossFire/3.html

Is there a way in firefox to prevent your browsing history from being saved but at the same time, passwords from websites would still be saved? I don't think Private browsing does that.

I looked in the device manager and it wasn't there. I think I may have already disabled it there a couple days ago, I don't remember.
My problem is that I got a new GPU and am having troubles on startup.
When its in the computer and connected to the monitor the startup screen shows and I can't enter bios or anything. It then goes to a black screen with a blinking white dash at the top left.
When the GPUs in the computer but the monitor is connected to the onboard graphics nothing comes up on the monitor and there are three repeating beeps.
Everything works normally when the card is out however.
I have been trying what I've found online, I updated bios, reseated the ram, uninstalled the Intel graphics drivers. I even bought a better PSU. I'm beginning to think there's a problem with the card itself.

So I've implemented DMARC not to long ago and I just received a report containing the IP address of my webserver, which uses the email server to relay emails.

How do I like whitelist my webserver and allow it to relay shit?

Some external drives have your problem whenever they are shut down to save power. This leaves power management up to the device's enclosure

Rails erb templates are usually named "_thing.html.erb", and the colors are consistent with erb markup

Clear history when Firefox closes. Saved passwords aren't affected.

Run
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

That should tell you which packages are having issues. However it sounds like your problem is that you didn't properly add keys when add a new apt repo.

Anybody know what kind of mouse this is? I got it as a gift, but the box was all black so I don't know the brand

Not offhand. Does it say anything on the bottom? Any kind of regulatory sticker?

The logo looks like Cougar to me, but I have no idea what model.

Not from what I can tell
I'm almost certain that it's a Chinese brand though

Your bios doesn't have a disable onboard option. The onboard gpu will always be listed in device manager, just with a yellow exclamation mark icon. But that doesn't sound like your problem.

I would switch back to using your onboard, uninstall any drivers for your new graphics card, then put it back in.

Forgot pic

my friend said his pc wont boot, dont know too much about the situation though. cant look at the pc, so this is all i have to go off of:
it just gives a blinking underscore when he tries to boot it, yet if he goes to the boot menu and manually selects his ssd to boot from, it works fine. Is the pc just not reading the ssd or something?

Would it be better to get a i7 6700 and a 1070 or a i5 6600k and a 107 if I don't really plan on overclocking

I'm an idiot. I have my ignore.hosts file.

why is the
MSI Radeon RX 480 a meme?

the K designation on Intel models designates those designed to overclock. So go for the one that you can most easily afford that isn't a K model if you don't plan to OC

Should I watch the Office?

Can you post a clearer/bigger photo? Can't read any of this.

What are your thought on Mechatronics Engineering

It's likely that his boot priorities were changed to boot from something that isn't bootable. Tell him to move the SSD to the top of the boot priorities list.

I once had an issue where my PC was trying to boot from the flash memory of my mouse.

i7 6700.
Has hyperthreading, otherwise they're about the same. Hyperthreading is bueno.

Sounds like maybe he has another boot device set higher than the SSD? Maybe a USB drive, DVD drive, or even maybe another harddrive.

Anyone know anything about sound cards? I think my integrated sound card is going out, but I don't want to replace the motherboard since everything else on it still works fine. How much would it cost me to buy one that is on par with my integrated one? Are internal sound cards any good?

NO GOD NO

No.

>move into a new house
>was getting internet speeds of 10mbs at old house
>this house in my room get speeds of 10mbs on computer and 55 on phone
>move computer next to router to check if it's signal and get 55ish
>think i need a wifi extender so take computer back upstairs and put it in same spot
>now i'm getting speeds of 55 upstairs when i was getting 12ish before

Nothing else has changed, just taking pc closer to router then moving it back and my speeds are great now. Is that normal?

Watch the British one, it's only about 12 episodes long.

Why not?

Pretty much any sound card is fine at this point. The technology is pretty advanced. Something cheap by creative would work. You could use a USB DAC instead if you wanted.

Should I bother with AVG/Norton/Kaspersky anymore?

Are externals generally better? I heard that externals were much more pricy if you want to get a decent one. I would probably need a PCI expansion if I got an internal one.

The reference cards had power draw issues which have since been fixed by driver updates. In addition, reference models shipped with a single 6 pin connector, which exacerbated the power draw issues - aftermarket cards will include an 8 pin connector.

literally look at the settings...

god no. Just keep microsoft essentials up to date.

>three beeps
get your mobo manual and see what that error is ...

Sounds like you need a better wifi adapter for your PC, since it's the weak link. Just get something with wireless N that has good reception. Shoudn't cost too much. And don't ever buy an extender. They're total ass.

If only there was a tool that allowed people to converse across the world, and perhaps create sites on the web that have information. I wonder when we will get that

Your router is shit m8

coolgamingaccessories.co.uk/Accessories.html?Manufacturer=XINMENG

It's an xm-m326

Can't read moon runes m8

If only there were a tool that allowed people to converse in diferent lanuages that they are not native of. Perhaps someone will advance the world by allowing people to share languages without having to know the language nativly

Not really. Unless you are running a recording studio, it basically doesn't matter these days.

Looks like that's it, thanks user
Thanks as well

You don't understand, i was getting shit speeds compared to my phone but i moved my pc closer to the router and started getting great speeds and then moved it back to where it was before and the speeds stayed great. Was just wondering if it was normal? I'm not complaining

The idea is that things right on the mobo get the most electrical interference, pci cards are better isolated, and external is the best. That;s also why they tend to recommend plugging into the back over the front. In practice it doesn't matter most of the time. If you don't hear hissing it's a non issue, and if that wasn't the problem with your onboard you should be fine with just adding a card. Go with whatever's cheapest. I don't know what you'll think of a cheap dac, but bear in mind they're usually rated by people looking to EXCEED onboard quality.

Can you see rf signals? No you cant, you had something blocking it or etc.
move it around till its back to 10mps and then bitch some more.

Back in the day externals were better. Thesedays there's no difference, even for studio work.

Depends on how much risk you put yourself in. MSE has been meme for like 4 years though.

Generally anything from a trustable brand that costs more than about 20% the price of your motherboard should be better.

He said he only get's that when his graphics card is in an he's connected to the onboard. That's what you would expect and has nothing to do with it.

so I should not buy it then?

It just means there's a video error, I knew that.
I don't have any drivers for my new card (gtx 950) if you meant uninstall those. I already uninstalled the old drivers of that's what you meant. I'll look again and maybe try a different driver removal program.

Depend on how much of a hurry you're in. Second gen of a card is always better than reference

thank you for all the answers.

can you recommend another video card
for this list
pcpartpicker.com/list/wqFP3F

Meant the new one. Other people have reported that incorrectly installed drivers have caused that problem. Maybe try installing driver for new card with it out if you can, then uninstalling it, then inserting card and reboot.