Why not make x86 version of this?

Why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

businesswire.com/news/home/20160714005388/en/Relive-Glories-Nintendo’s-Ultimate-Retro-Gaming-Experience
reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/4st1cj/nintendo_releasing_mini_nes_in_november_with_30/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A better question is Why?

Why not a ARM version?

>A better question is Why?
With serial ports and shit, it would replace old lab computers and sht.

Licensing? ARM is cheaper.

>it would replace old lab computers and sht.
Is this really the best candidate though?

Less setup than a raspberry pi, good for introducing a kid to the older games that are actually easier for them to play while still having depth

Fuck all of you. Day one purchase for me. The last time I used a console was an original xbox, and that was my brother's.

Super Mario Bros. was my jam back in the day. And Metroid. And Super Mario Bros. 3.

If it's really $60 it's an amazing deal.

A 64 bit ARM chip costs around 5$ - 10$, the cheapest thing from Intel costs 17$ (Z375F) and is a power hog. Both have similar performance

>only one FF game
>only one MM game
>no Tetris
fuck off Nintendo

?????
Why the fuck would you replace a lab computer with a gimped gaming console?

is it going to run a piss basic NES emulator on ARM?
I think it would make a cute dedicated NES emulator device if the bootloader isn't locked down and you soldered a little SD card holding all 713 NES titles.

Hey guys what I meant was this.
Not NES emulators powered by x86 CPUS

>x86
WHY THE FUCK

I don't think you understand what this product is supposed to be or what its target market is.

Why x86

So a regular computer using that case?

Off yourself

Legacy computing?

Ideally it'll be an extremely accurate emulator running on ARM, considering that Nintendo has access to the original design docs for the NES.
>if the bootloader isn't locked down
top kek

This is for casuals and people like me who love anything Nintendo shits out.

If you want a mini computer get a Raspberry Pi.

Or, like the Atari Flashbacks, it'll be a very shrunken down re-engineered version of the original hardware.

>$60 for a limited device that can play 30 games with a single controller
This must be one of the biggest rip offs in tech history.

one more controller for only $10 more, goy!

Its a bluetooth controller, you can use it on pc or your wii idk.

Also is this like a massive die shrink from the nes or just a generic arm soc and emulation?

I mean the die would be miniature if it was shrunk to something like 45nm.

>buy this
>rip out its guts
>replace it with SBC emulation box

3retro5u

nostagiafags will still buy 20 each

For those like me who don't keep up with news outside Sup Forums: Nintendo is launching a mini version of its iconic NES console with 30 classic games (headline from techcrunch, article below is what techcrunch links to and has more detail):

businesswire.com/news/home/20160714005388/en/Relive-Glories-Nintendo’s-Ultimate-Retro-Gaming-Experience

>Ideally it'll be an extremely accurate emulator
HA! The people who truly care about accuracy are morons who don't know better and speedrunners and speedrunners rely on the original equipment, not this piece of garbage.

If you could go back in time and sell this to people for $60 for 30 games and a controller they'd flip their shit.

How is that a rip off? It's like $500 to get the same thing out of a new Wii U.

Bundled games have always existed. Look at Action 52. That concept is nothing new.

But Nintendo is doing the opposite. They want to cash in on stuff that was released decades ago again and again. Anybody caring about this shit, probably owns/owned a NES and more games to it already.

Instead of offering an emulator that can play NES, SNES and w/e else games, they will probably release the shit separately and milk idiots. They didn't even have the decency to include a second controller and that fucking gun in the box.

Does Action 52 include all these games and cost only $60 with a proper controller?

The fact that this is so small is so fucking cool. Like, look how far people have really come from the old Coleco days. You guys don't give tech enough credit

Accuracy is incredibly important for preservation.

It's not like it's even particularly powerful. A9 in a 4" iPhone SE is probably powerful enough to emulate all consoles up to PS1 at the same time.

Is Nintendo manufacturing this? It is so fucking difficult to buy a classic controller these days that isn't total fucking garbage in build quality.

shoo shoo, byuu

What's with Nintendo seemingly doing everything right lately?

$50 & Two Controllers.Though no HDMI port if I remember right.

Also 16 bit.

>Or, like the Atari Flashbacks, it'll be a very shrunken down re-engineered version of the original hardware.
Only 2/2+ were built using the original schematics. They're not 100% identical though they can't support high capacity cartridges without being modified IIRC.

Flashback 1 was an NES on a chip that had ports of Atari games. 3+ are ARM based computers running emulators.

all according to keikaku.

Chinks are crafty people.

Just emulate the games and use a USB controller off eBay

If I could go back in time I'd unfuck your mom.

Most of the controllers are shit build quality.

>3rd party garbage

>does not include the 30 games I asked about.

you can buy a USB adapter for an original nintendo controller if you want. or you can use a PS3 controller or xbox 360 controller, which, regardless of your faggot opinions, are not shit.

this thing Nintendo is making is really cute and nostalgic, but I have every NES game and the ability to play them on my TV. I have had this ability since the 90s. I'm not buying this thing

Good for you, you aren't the target market for this

I tried punch out on an emulator and it was just too laggy, you couldn't get into the fast punching rhythm like on the nes

They are shit to play games designed for a different layout you dindu.

USB NES controllers are like 3rd party "retro" consoles. One faulty ching chong SOC design with a hundred "different" ping pong names on the boxes. Fucking worthless.

If Nintendo is actually manufacturing this under some actual QC guidelines, they're already a million miles ahead.

My mum worked at mattel and I used to speak to the guys in the Nintendo repair shop, they told they could easily have made the nes similar to the size of this one but they didn't because people wouldn't have thought it was value for money

>pi 2 35$
>cheap controller 10$
>cheap sd card 10 $
>setup emulator like RetroPie and download every game ever made for all old consoles
>????
>profit

that CEO who died was holding them back from mobile gaming etc

Pokemon Go was an initiative that Iwata was championing.

Iwata was against using mobile as a platform for games.

This console is made for me and the wife and my wife's son. It's cheaper than Virtual Console, has multiple save states unlike Virtual Console, and supports the first official recreation of the NES controller using ports that are compatible with Wiimote accessories. This is the ultimate nostalgia trip for Normies.
Normies don't care that emulators exist because they can't use them on their iPhone. They can't download ROMs because Limewire doesn't exist anymore. This is just something easy can buy and use after they come back from a Pokéstop.

Just not convenient, man.

With an custom made emulator I'd have to get a RPi, get all the various other things needed for the RPi (power supply, SD card, case, probably a portable wireless keyboard/trackpad, and a cheap knockoff USB NES controller), then fuck around installing some neutered form of Linux on it, then fuck around with installing the emulator software, then fuck around with downloading all the games I want, then fuck around with getting it to work right.

With this you buy it ($60), get it in the mail, plug it into power, plug it into your TV, plug in the included controller, power it on, and play any of the 30 included games.

There's probably a pretty good chance that it isn't going to be limited to these specific games forever. They haven't released all the details of the system yet. Why wouldn't they include a way to add more games in the future? Even if they cost a couple buck each, it'd probably be worth it just for the convenience factor alone.

On top of all that, downloading games to use in an emulator is technically illegal. With the way nintendo has been acting the last few years, it wouldn't surprise me if they went full jihad on that scene. Don't want to be caught up in that mess.

Have fun getting it for $60 during the first month of release.

I don't understand the point of this post.

Nintendo is known for releasing products overpriced at launch, and then drastically bringing the price down in about 5 months

With the attention it got just today, I totally expect it to be hard to get for the first few months.

>not making your own retroarch box and buying a snes usb pad
Enjoy your 30 games.

In a world where I can get Shadow of the Colossus to 60 FPS in an emulator, I simply don't buy the idea that you can't satisfactorily emulate the NES. What are you doing, trying to emulate it by executing the code by hand with a piece of paper and a pen?

It launches at $60 so why would they have trouble getting it for $60.

Also that's the exact opposite of what nintendo is known for.

They release products at a set price that never fucking lowers until they rerelease the product years later.

...Why do you need to use a Raspberry Pi, just use your current PC...

Ehh you have to lazy to not get one at launch. Go at midnight and pick it up not hard. Just go to Meijer or someplace similar.

I should do that since I live next to a mall with a gamestop.

But I'm too happy with snes9x and my ibuffalo pad.

I want to sit on my couch and play on my TV. Not dragging my desktop in there. I might like a small form factor HTPC in there, but just haven't justified the cost when the roku works fine.

Not standing in lines.

Does the d-pad on that controller hurt your thumb after like 20 minutes of use?

this is a cute get. It's not about being versatile.

If you want versatile you get a rPi, or a Smartphone + iPega, or a fucking PSP.

Please stop being retarded.

>snes9x
plen

no

There's no lines is the point homo. Most people are too lazy to go grab one at midnight. And if the internet has told me anything all the neckbeard losers (like you) are too busy bitching about nothing to go get one.

It's just a cheap mass produced money maker it won't be limited like a normal console.

dude that's literally what I said.

No it's not.

You said " (You)
Not standing in lines."

Can't run higan on my celeron n3050 laptop ever since byuu removed the performance mode.

Can't tell the difference between higan and snes9x anyway.

When your heart rate starts to subside you realise 30 games only is pretty lousy, should be 300

Yeah but it's only $60 so you're paying sub $2 per game.

You'll find tons of these chinese rip off "1000 game" plug and play consoles (most of the games are rom hacks like Super Mario Bros + Super Luigi Bros + Super Wario Bros) being sold to idiots at kiosks in malls everywhere at a similar price point. Only way to stop them is to put out a legit version preventing the knocks off from getting any attention.

there were roughly 700 NES games more or less
they were big games being NES games
but how much space would that need?
kinda just want to buy one, to hollow it out and just turn it into an emulation machine for the tv

An x86 machine that runs NES games? Just install an NES emulator on your machine.
An x86 game console? It's called the PS4.

I'm pretty sure the entire international NES library clocks in at under 200 MB.

That wasn't me.

I'm actually the guy who said he hasn't touched a console since the original xbox. Seriously, I haven't played on any console for the last decade and a half. And even with that xbox, it was only a few times. The last true experience would have been the Sega Genesis.

And I actually strongly dislike nintendo, so my wanting this "console" is very out of character for me. I have been playing PC games since my early teens.

Anyway, I don't care. I know full well it's a money grab. It's purely the nostalgia for me. I grew up playing these games in the early 90s, and all through the 90s.

>mfw my 15 year old 256MB USB flash drive could fit the entire NES library on it

>One more controller for only $10 more, round eye!
FIXED

If the corners of the controller and the d-pad are not causing mild discomfort and calluses then it's not real. I want my wife's son to suffer through what I had to.

Just recompile.

shit will be hacked in like a day bruv

we already have a Useless tech thread

>mfw playing nes games on a gba via an emulator

>literally one of those "1000 games in one" plug and llay consoles with 30 games

I almost forgot that we are talking about the company which tries to sell 20+ years old games for $5 each on virtual cuck.

Calm down autists.

This is meant for those that have more money than brains. It's being released a month before Christmas, and will probably be the #1 stocking stuffier for the season.

They;ll make millions from people that just want to feel the nostalgia of their childhood, and laugh, even just for a moment at a time gone by.

Now go back to compiling you perfect linux build, for the ten thousandth time.

If you want something like that for the NES you should look at the Dendy or other rip-off consoles. You could easily get one of those for 25 bucks at a garage sale. They don't have HDMI out.

I actually own the system you have a pictured. The controllers are horribly cheap, I have it just so I could play megadrive games. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone over a pi and especially not an actual system. Really just waiting for that mini megadrive to bite the dust.....

What are the actual specs anyway?

Does it have an expansion port? If Nintendo were smart they would do that. Then third parties like Capcom could make a Megaman bundle on a Megaman shaped USB drive.

$2 to play one of my favourite games of all times without having to dick around with an emulator, and with an process and aesthetic as that generates real nostalgia

x5

I'm willing to bet it's an ARM SoC.

Time will tell. If Nintendo takes the time to implement things like:

>a front end with lots of eye candy
>an option to enable a shaders system like what MAME has, which can simulate old CRT displays (but unlike MAME, Nintendo should do all the configuration legwork and simply have an option to enable/disable it)

then they might have a decent package that will be worth $60 for your average joe. Your average normies on reddit are already gushing over it.

>reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/4st1cj/nintendo_releasing_mini_nes_in_november_with_30/

Personally I like dicking around with emulators, so it won't be for us no matter what.

Jeez, it's $60.
Every American keeps yapping about their $10 coffee, $15 lunches and $80 nights out, but they wouldn't be able to afford a $60 nostalgia piece with Christmas around the corner?

You want an itty bitty PC XT? Why?

>buy
>buy
>buy
>pirate
>???
>profit

>pirate
>profit

super cool story bruh