ITT: Useless tech that you still want

ITT: Useless tech that you still want

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rqyoO4eajXo
youtube.com/watch?v=fQEOvLeLfTw
os2museum.com/wp/surfing-modern-web-with-ancient-browsers/
hackaday.com/2016/07/13/nirvana-like-youve-never-heard-them-before/
notebookreview.com/notebookreview/lenovo-thinkpad-x301-review/
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-W700ds-Thinkpad-Dual-Screen-Wacom-17-Screen-2xHDD-DVD-Color-Cal-W700-/302012129288?hash=item4651536008:g:xoEAAOSwbYZXc0R5
ebay.com/itm/HP-Integrity-Superdome-A5201A-SX2000-32x-Itanium2-1-6Ghz-64GB-LEFT-Server-/232006847885
youtube.com/watch?v=SLj3aCfqzOM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stop reading my mind. I was thinking of that W-series laptop and thought about that extra screen for reference images/social media while working on projects.

That Wacom pad also great, why didn't they just make it into the touchpad as one whole pad? The new intuos tablets are basically that. Also.

>Apple Duel

Its a dressed up x61s. There is no reason to have one besides the fact its rare.

I might be getting one next week for $100 + shipping.

>implying logic has any bearing on wanting the shiny cool thing

I know, there are many things i want to get just because they look nice. I have a TiBook just because of that that i never use, it just sits on a shelf looking nice and i occasionally play bugdom on it.

I also sort of want to collect thinkpads. No idea why i want that as a hobby, but i do.

A lapdock 500 and a lapdock 100 for my aging droid bionic

Pretty much everything in these videos

youtube.com/watch?v=rqyoO4eajXo

youtube.com/watch?v=fQEOvLeLfTw

A ThinkPad, something about the rugged black plastic just get's me.

What are the least shit 16:10 - 12-14" ThinkPads with IPS screen?

Is there any other thinkpad that has this dual screen set up?

It's bretty cool.

A loaded ThinkPad A31p with all of the silly weird-ass expansion options like the UltraBay numpad.

I'd actually probably get some use out of it.

I've always wanted a Color Classic but I'd really have no use for one. I dream of being able to go back in time and use one when it was still modern.

>I might be getting one next week for $100 + shipping.
where did you find this?
post link

I just love how the whole front is designed to match the horizontal curvature of the Sony Trinitron CRT.

It was never modern, even at release.
What a slow-ass machine. It'd have flew under System 6, but you can only go back as far as 7.1 on it, and System 7 is a fucking fat hog in comparision.
lower the color depth as much as possible so shit doesn't repaint quite so slowly

It's a nice looking piece of kit though. It's super cute.

Craigslist
ill post about it in /tpg/ once i get it. Im waiting for payday (tomorrow) before i even contact the guy So i dont know if h will even ship it or if i will have to pay a friend thatt lives in that state to get it and ship it to me.

It has no hdd, battery and a bad screen but i can fix that shit. Too bad nobody makes the cable needed for the high res mod anymore. At least i cant seem to find it.

I played around with daily driving a 68k box recently, it actually wasn't as bad as you'd think, spent most of my time on it making shitty astronomical models in Mathematica, some documents in Word/Excel, working on university assignments through SSH and lurking the SDF bulletin board.

I mean, obviously they're nowhere near as snappy and convenient as a system made in the last ten years, but if the internet (and all of my other machines) went up in smoke tomorrow I don't think I'd shrivel up and die.

Yeah, those things would have been ass unless you needed/really wanted something super small. Did they even offer FPUs with them?

Where the fuck did that image come from???
Whatever, at least it's a useless thing that I want.

just get a getac x500 server user

I miss the volume + brightness buttons on beige AIO macs. It'd be cool if modern iMacs had capacitive brightness + volume buttons on the front of its body, makes more sense than those controls being on the keyboard IMO.

The internet is what I live for... so I can't imagine using a machine too old to do some internet browsing on.

Up until about 14 months ago I was using a ThinkPad from 2002 as my daily driver and I managed to get by with it for many years.

By that token I think I would've been okay with using a Color Classic as a daily driver back in the day. I know I can have some patience.

>modern iMacs
Apple is over. Enjoy your iOS X

I hated those, they felt pretty cheap
also
>capacitive buttons

What's up with that splash screen?

Those do seem better.
I just like the idea of having a truly apocalypse-ready system even though I'll probably never need one. I've got a P3 Toughbook at the moment that's pretty hefty, thinking of repacking the battery and ordering new rubber seals for it and such to make it semi-waterproof again.

Me too, and the browser selection for those things is shit. I ran an old version of NetScape on mine, could actually go here with it but even the JS-free captcha wouldn't work and it would run out of memory before the page finished loading.

I've thought of making some kind of web portal that scrapes news and the like from popular websites as a fun experiment, but it's probably a little involved for me.

There's always this:
os2museum.com/wp/surfing-modern-web-with-ancient-browsers/

chink mobo mod. it has a 5th gen (iirc) i5 in it.

X201 Tablet or AFFS modded X200 are pretty much your only options going by that criteria. You really have to go bigger to get good screens on Thinkpads. 15" T60p has 1600x1200 IPS. The R50p is said to offer 2048x1536 IPS, but good fucking luck ever finding one.

I know it would be a huge Pussy deflector, and it's really limited, but AR seems pretty cool.

>googlel ass
>google anal ytics

>The R50p is said to offer 2048x1536 IPS
I thought the R series was the budget/shitbox line, what the fuck is up with that?

I saw some of the 2048x1536 panels for sale back in the day, and some T60s with said panels installed in them, but I don't think I ever saw an actual factory QXGA R50p.

One of the QXGA T60s I saw was listed on eBay with a ridiculously low Buy it Now price. I could've easily snagged it but I didn't, mainly because my eyesight isn't good enough to see anything at default sizes at such a high PPI and I absolutely loathe having to deal with scaling for everything (and back then the scaling situation was far, far worse).

X201 tablet was my pick so far, although the resolution seems a tad too low. How is the cooling, especially the noise?

And what about X300? Sure it's not IPS but 1440x900 is pretty decent, I only worry about the CPU a bit. Not planning to do anything beyond Office on it but it'd be annoying if even that ran like shit.

>useless tech
I'll just leave this here:
hackaday.com/2016/07/13/nirvana-like-youve-never-heard-them-before/

Can't speak about noise but I know all the tablet models get pretty toasty. I don't think it'll actually overheat unless the thermal paste is fucked, so replace that immediately if you do get one. OEM paste is awful and will definitely be dried out by now.

X300 has good resolution, but from what I've heard it's a pretty bad panel regarding color and viewing angles. The CPU is also almost completely useless nowadays. I'm not sure if the X301's screen is any better, but at the very least its Penryn CPU is workable.

Oh, X301 seems pretty interesting, and I had a weaker Core SU7300 before, so performance should suffice.

notebookreview.com/notebookreview/lenovo-thinkpad-x301-review/
and at least going by brightness it's almost as good as my current one.

How easy/hard would it be to replace the optical drive with another SSD? The availability of the right parts sounds tricky.

Anything with an Apple logo because I want to smash it.

>>Sup Forums

Ubuntu touch.
I know it's worse than Android, but It's so cool!

Make a old computer thread for your shit and stop derailing the thread.

>make a thread for your thread related discussion so you don't derail this one
u wot

>desktop Pentium 4 CPU in a laptop what could possibly go wrong

>floppy drive
srsly?

>old laptops have old technology
whodathunkit

welcome to 2004 US school and corporate systems

do want

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-W700ds-Thinkpad-Dual-Screen-Wacom-17-Screen-2xHDD-DVD-Color-Cal-W700-/302012129288?hash=item4651536008:g:xoEAAOSwbYZXc0R5

Specs aren't nearly as bad as I expected.

Isn't the entire point of these blog threads so you can post stupid shit you want and discuss it with other people? What's the fun in just spamming images with no replies?

I wish these things had better graphics options than just the Intel integrated and I think a somehow even shittier FX 5200, they seemed exploitable as a mobile workstation platform.

Flash drives were pricy as shit if all you wanted to do was just give someone a word document or some contact info.

>tfw my current laptop has an FX Go5200

How is it (in context)? Was there even a point?

I've never had any issues with it, it can even handle Doom 3

What is that floor? It looks like Generic Futuristic Tile from some anime set in the far future - do want.

ebay.com/itm/HP-Integrity-Superdome-A5201A-SX2000-32x-Itanium2-1-6Ghz-64GB-LEFT-Server-/232006847885
because my current furnace can't run VMS with 20 year uptime

Itanium hasn't even been a thing for 20 years. You should go for an Alpha model

it's the ISS so likely not a floor but storage

I see. I want my floor to be storage, too.

oqo (someone make modern version please)
thinkpad x62

GS1280s are rarer than shit and aren't as nice looking though if you ask me

also Alphas post-Compaq acquisition seem kind of phoned in, HP just rehashed the same old design and then ultimately shitcanned them in 2k7, at least the Itanium was a decent HPC chip for a while before Intel started half-assing them

youtube.com/watch?v=SLj3aCfqzOM

Why? A Raspberry Pi is $35.

exactly

you can't deny that they look like total ass though

Yes you can.

You can't deny that cases exist.

and most raspberry pi cases trade the ugly exposed PCB look for the appearance some children's dollar store toy

Get a case + USB NES controller, still ends up cheaper and you can play more than 30 games.

>most
So get one that doesn't. Or try being creative for once. My SBC's in a slim PlayStation 2 case

nobody here is really going to argue that it isn't a cheaper or more effective route from a perspective of pure utility, there's a reason it's called a "useless shit you still want" thread and not a "useless shit I want and think is better than everything for everything" thread
or I could just get something else that looks and behaves exactly the way I want it to instead of wasting my time on some ugly ass hack job

even with a good case, Pis by design will always be ugly as shit, simply due to the port layout and the tiny size

Sure thing kid

>I have no further constructive points to contribute to the discussion so I'll just pout and softly cry in the corner
gotta love the that feeling of accomplishment

More like
>I'm too busy enjoying my night to put effort into arguing with a dumbass piece of shit on the Internet

mechanical GPU

>I give up but I still must have the last word
keep the tears coming I've got all night

There are plenty examples of useless tech that's not bad at what it does. The NES Mini isn't useless, it's just outclassed in every possible way by cheaper equipment.

What the fuck is up with this attitude lately?
>lol he disagrees with me he's obviously assblasted
Go eat a dick you fucking summerfag. Enjoy your summer while it lasts, middle school's right around the corner.

don't disagree, I'm not even really trying to defend that abomination, I'm just saying I understand why someone might be interested in it, an extra $15 isn't a lot of money, and if you have no interest in doing anything other than playing some of those 30 included titles and then throwing it in the drawer, who really gives a shit

but see, if you weren't assblasted, you would have offered more discussion up instead of brainless whining and throwing retarded ad hominem attacks at a "dumbass piece of shit on the internet" that you supposedly don't care about

>but see, if you weren't assblasted, you would have offered more discussion up
See

Kek, owned

then why the fuck are you wasting your precious time filling out captchas and typing out dumbass one-liners when you can be enjoying your night or discussing something you care about elsewhere on the site?
right
>because I MUST have the last word!
thinking there's more than one summerfag ITT tonight

>then why the fuck are you wasting your precious time
Because I don't like you.
>thinking there's more than one summerfag ITT tonight
Probably, I'm sure you're not the only one.

Not him but
>filling out captchas
>not Sup Forums plus

this is rather entertaining

>I'm totally not assblasted guys!
lmao

>manuals
>reference images
>command line
>irc
>video conferencing
>live debugging
>web browser
>extra horizontal space for audio/video editing

so much fucking potential

lmao yeah u got me user I'm curled up in a ball crying in a corner because some twelve year old autist posted something I disagree with on the Internet

Yup

>and yet he's still replying
a reddit frog for your trouble

Not him but, you're a funny asshat, not my type of troll though.

>replies = tears
You're literally retarded, aren't you?

>reddit
gtfo newfag

>I don't have time to discuss this
>but I have time to endlessly reply with one-liners because THE LAST WORD ALWAYS WINS!
look what you've done, now I have to crack open the reserve, I had this one imported all the way from KC ca. 2014

yes, they do get better with age

I never said I didn't have time. I said you weren't worth the effort to actually try. With every post you're just making the fact that I was right more obvious.

>I said you weren't worth the effort to actually try.
but I'm worth the effort to... reply

Stop derailing the thread faggots

Exactly. I don't mind pointless banter with a child that's being a twat but I'm not going to put any effort into arguing with such a shitstain.

no u

just a little longer, I'm feeling a little nostalgic
>it's just banter!
you're on a roll tonight