Home Server General

Hey guys, let's have a home server general.

I was wondering - what is the benefit of an old Xeon processor over a newer low end CPU like the celeron in this?

According to CPU boss the celeron outperforms the xeon. Does that mean it is straight up better?

Other urls found in this thread:

stores.ebay.com/SaveMyServer
reddit.com/r/linuxadmin/comments/2s924h/how_did_you_get_your_start/cnnw1ma
askubuntu.com/questions/13730/how-can-i-schedule-a-nightly-reboot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I am monitoring this thread

>CPU Boss
Don't.

Depending on the server use the CPU might be pretty much irrelevant or of prime importance. "Server" doesn't really say anything.

What are some cool things to do with a home server?

Well, do modern low end server CPUs do a better job than 6 year old mid or high end server cpus?

Xeon E5520 for example

Personal VPN

>200W idle
Yes.

I fell for Syncthing meme. It turned out that it consume ridiculous amount of cpu (50-100% of 2ghz 1core xeon and even more on a client side) and 300-1000mb of memory while transferring only 3-5Mb/s on 8Mb/s channel.
So what alternatives do i have? Is btsync better?
Btw how can i force syncthing to verify local data?

do you guys enjoy wasting money? just use an old laptop for a server, or a raspberry pi if you must purchase something

A simple raspberry pi is excellent for a personal email server.

stores.ebay.com/SaveMyServer

Great place to buy them used. Cheap as fuck.

ECC memory. They are also incredibly cheap, but not much point buying one.

That makes me super sad. I was about to give it a shot in the near future. I probably will still test it just to see if my mileage varies but now I'm less hopeful.

Yeah maybe I could get a CPU from there. Big servers would be expensive to ship

What do you guys do with these? I looked up that you can host game servers and have home theaters. What else can you do?

See

You can

Have a personal VPN
Access your files at home
Have a file server
Have a mail server
Have a web server
Monitor network activities
Automate house lighting

here's this beaut

Cool what do you do with it?

Any thoughts on the microserver?

I'm not such a fan of micro servers except for file servers. I am still building this one. Just go the my new RAID controller in today. Old one only supported 0/1. Still need to buy drives but they are expensive. just using it as file server right now but will be using as VM server (probably poroxmox) when I get the disks. I did get a second proc for it but i think it was faulty. installed a new one tonight so I am testing to see how it holds up.

>You can
>Have a personal VPN
Cheaper and easier to just purchase
>Access your files at home
Any cloud storage company will have better up/download speeds unless you're in your own home (which defeats the purpose of a file server)
>Have a file server
Faster to get with a company or on a VPS
>Have a mail server
Very unreliable and not secure
>Have a web server
Useless with home Internet speeds
>Monitor network activities
You don't need a server for this and unless you're an uber neet there's literally no point
>Automate house lighting
A server is overkill

>have a personal VPN
Forgot to mention that a VPN on your own network completely defeats the purpose of a VPN as the IP will still belong to you and your ISP can still see everything you're doing

yes goy store your files on this american server, why not use us as your vpn as well?

The reason you use a Xeon CPU or even a later i3 is ECC ram support.

If you doing any kind of 99% uptime always on application like a file store or large application even game servers with large assets or maps you want ECC or your going to have problems

If you cant find a good Xeon to fit your needs some i3 processors support ECC as well

Keep your data safe

Lmao leave.

Whats the benefit of ECC?
I guess it makes sense. There's really not a lot I can do in my country (Australia) that isnt basically buying 10 year old servers or getting a microserver.

>Forgot to mention that a VPN on your own network completely defeats the purpose of a VPN
That's because you think a VPN's only purpose is to hide your data from your ISP
>Any cloud storage company will have better up/download speeds unless you're in your own home (which defeats the purpose of a file server)
How does using a file server in your own home defeat the purpose? I practically only use my file server at home.
>Faster to get with a company or on a VPS
Not when you're at home.
>Very unreliable and not secure
Not necessarily
>Useless with home Internet speeds
Not really
>You don't need a server for this and unless you're an uber neet there's literally no point
True
>A server is overkill
Not if you're already using it for something else. Besides, whatever device you use for the purpose is a server.

Then again what do most people do with home servers? My guess is holding their pirated media..

>not running your own server
>sucking off the tit of 3rd party services selling your data
>not being able to follow simple instructions from a google search to lock down your server
>not having a always on device running open source software to host your files encrypted anywhere in the world
>realizing that most cable internet upload speeds are enough to serve encoded media to external clients

>being

Dell PowerEdge T620 (2x Xeon 2660 / 192GB / 2x 240 GB PNY 1311 / 4x 480GB PNY 1311 / 12x Hitachi Ultrastar (7K3000) 3TB)
Server 2012 R2 Datacenter w/ Storage Spaces.
240's are RAID 1 and for OS + tools
480's are in tiered pool with 2TB drives.
3TB presented to Hyper-V. Presented as multiple mirror. Only VM pool is tiered.
1TB presented as temp transfer share. No redundancy.
1TB presented to profiles. Presented as multiple mirror. Roaming profiles are enabled. This may change.
12TB presented to Plex. Drive is offline to VHOST, and presented directly to VM. Redundancy is RAID 5.

VM count - 22 production
4x DC
2x NS w/ DHCP
Sharepoint
Team Foundation Server
System Center Operations Manager
Plex (8 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 12GB Media / 2012 R2)
System Center Configuration Manager
SQL
Offline root CA
AD Subordinate CA
2x Exchange 2013 CAS
2x Exchange 2012 MBX
Dirsync
AD Federation Service
NAP / VPN / Direct connect
PBX

Firewall - PCEngines APU1D4 (128GB SSD / Untangle)
Switch - Dell X1018P (16 port GIGE managed PoE + 2SFP)
AP - EAP1750H (PoE)
Phone - Polycom CX700 (5 in service)

I run about 60 email accounts off the Exchange cluster. Largely testing, but 17 of the AD accounts are actual users that connect at least every 24 hours. I'm starting to plan the migration to Microsoft 2016 (Server 2016 / SCCM 2016 / Exchange 2016 / SQL 2016 / Win 10). If things continue to go as they have been, that's not going to happen. Server 2016 likes to get stupid when it's a VM.

If I didn't need all of the above, I'd be running a Xeon 1240v3 w/ 16GB RAM, Open Media Vault, Plex, and 6x 4TB drives. My experience with OMV suggests that it does Plex better, by defaulting it to a service, and not requiring user login.

Backup everything on all your home machines

Share media to multiple devices

Have a central space to DVR live tv and security cameras to

Backup your physical movies and disks and serve them via the network without the hassle of disks

Host a always on service like a website or game server/voice chat server

Running virtual machines for hardware specific programs like freePBX for phones

> (You)
>>Forgot to mention that a VPN on your own network completely defeats the purpose of a VPN
>That's because you think a VPN's only purpose is to hide your data from your ISP
The only other thing it's for is making it seem like you're located somewhere else so you can watch Netflix or something. Which a home VPN also won't accomplish.

It doesn't work for Netflix but it does work for things that require you to be on your home Internet connection

Also if you're connecting to public Wi-Fi it's recommended you use one

Dial to home VPN

A local VPN can also be used to authenticate and identify users accessing network resources from outside the network.

For instance, say you have an application on a server. The server only allows users who are connected locally at the VPN address access to itself, otherwise it denies all inbound connections. Users then must connect to the VPN with their credentials prior to accessing the resource on the server.

>Have a personal VPN
>Cheaper and easier to just purchase
>Any cloud storage company will have better up/download speeds
Good goy.

>microserver

get the fuck out with that wanabee poorfag shit

if it didn't cost you $2k+ it is not a fucking server

you poorfaggots need to learn that you are not wanted

>if it didn't cost you $2k+ it is not a fucking server
That's not how that works.

>server |ˈsərvər|
>noun
>a computer or computer program that manages access to a centralized resource or service in a network.

that is exactly how it works - all the pi and microshit server faggots have no clue about real enterprise hardware

if it is in any way intended for home use then its just a bullshit toy and anyone using it should be laughed at and driven out of those threads

same with power use, if you moan about that then your obviously poor and should be laughed at and told to fuck off because real adults want to discuss real hardware in these threads, not poorfag children

i am fucking sick of it

>ooh look at me I have an über gud server lol u guise suck
You pretend to be such a big man yet you're more childish than the people you're calling children.

forget electricity cost. (why are you considering a server if you care about cost).
look on auction sites for when corporations sell off their out-of-warrenty servers.
get yourself 1..n ibm severs x3250 etc.

>(why are you considering a server if you care about cost).
Because you want a server.

then get a fucking job, leech

Are you fucking retarded?

Can I stream video from a server? I'd like to circumvent my laptops low SSD size by storing all my media on a server.

>Forgot to mention that a VPN on your own network completely defeats the purpose of a VPN as the IP will still belong to you and your ISP can still see everything you're doing

Home VPN are good to use when on public/university wifi to defeat MIM attacks.

stop watching anime you pedo weeaboo faggot

Yes

cont.
the people that place the servers on sites for sale usually don't know what's in them or what has been added.
you can get servers with all sorts of expensive add-on options.

What OS do you recommend?

CentOS?
Amahi?
Debian?
RHEL?
Windows?

posting

oldish pic of rack - in middle of rejigging things - yuyuko is getting replaced with 2 x HP Microserver N36L and i'll perhaps re-purpose her case with a pi cluster, see how it pans out

Media Server (samba at home, sftp remote)
TeamSpeak/FileServer for friends
personal programming availability 24/7 w/o github shit
Seedbox
Personal VPN
Allows for 24/7 external VPN on other local systems as you can access them locally when you SSH into the server
Bruteforcing neighbors WiFi 24/7
Video game servers
Learning and mastering the command line and linux in general

i been thinking of getting a n3700 as my seedbox,nas,plex server,but im wondering if i can uses a u1 case with itx

i run two old esxi hosts with LGA771 processors, probably eat atleast over 200w in idle

wouldnt recommend to anyone, sure new stuff would be nice but i have lost interest in playing around with servers anyway desu, i just want them to run. i dont know what would be reasonable replacements for these anyway and i have absolutely 0 interest these days to set up anything new, and i cant afford anything anyway atm

reddit.com/r/linuxadmin/comments/2s924h/how_did_you_get_your_start/cnnw1ma

any thoughts on this? might try this because have nothing better to do with my time currently.

I ordered the case for my next NAS today. Going to start ordering drives soon.

IMHO I'd say start smaller.

1. Build/buy/re-purpose a half decent machine
2. Install hyper-visor on bare metal
3. Create VM for (insert service you want to mess around with here).
4. Repeat step 3

>tfw out of town and VPN stopped working

Couldn't remote into my servers. When I got home the machine was running but I just restarted the openvpn server.

Anyway to automate a restart or something next time so this doesn't happen?

Daily cron scheduled reboot at 3AM or something maybe.

askubuntu.com/questions/13730/how-can-i-schedule-a-nightly-reboot

my setup. nothing fancy but working on expanding my test domain environment, going to add another domain for trusts and work on sccm deployment

very happy with my dl380 so far, cheap, powerful, draws hardly any energy and quiet as fuck. my fucking switch is the loudest part of this

Guys no matter what don't buy those shitty prebuilt NAs.

I reccomend buying used servers, blade servers on eBay and replacing the case fans. Buy 2 or 4u as 1u fans are just too loud.

The features in a used server are amazing for price. Buitin hotswap HDD arrays with raid?

Also replace the processors with low power xeons or disable cores and you have a great machine

my server
>1x 250 gb hitachi deskstar hdd, 1x 128 seagate baracuda (both for files) and 1x 40gb western digital hdd for system

centos if you want enterprise-level stable (chances are you don't)
fedora (or fedora server) if you still want redhat based but packages from this century
debian otherwise

please tell me those aren't american or canadian dollars
that's only worth it if its 500 yen or pesos not fucking dollars
what are you smoking user

Just go on eBay and buy a used blade server you cuck. Put it under your bed

Even vlc has that functionality. Google it.

Do half of you even know what VPN is? Hint: its not primarily a user tool.

Its used to make a virtual private network, so you can access network resources.

Disable cores my friend.

Why the fuck would anyone need enterprise level hardware to serve a single household, possibly a single person? This is purely hobbyist shit, a good learning experience, and a great to get people into linux/Unix systems. Buying a fucking poweredge off of eBay is perfectly fine but that level of processing power is total overkill for even a large household.

Kill yourself.

mini runs ubiquiti management stuff for the AP's

Cisco 2970

pfSense on a super micro quad core atom

20tb zfs pool for plex/stuff (ubuntu & zol)

dells for ESXi (dc's, dns, proxy, citrix, etc)

You are getting trolled my friends

Also anyone here got their house wired up? I'm thinking about setting up p2p 10gbe to server.

>server
>uptime 26m

>Its used to make a virtual private network

It really makes you think

>uptime 1m

>Forgot to mention that a VPN on your own network completely defeats the purpose of a VPN
???
>use public wifi
>dont want data to be sniffed
>dial home vpn

Troll or not, the guy has a fucking point. The people trying to brag about some stupid pi for a seedbox or some other arcane bullshit like plugging a laptop drive via USB into it for storage really are on a different level.

Thanks!

Why did you pick up a 24 port switch?
Unless it was for free or very cheap ofcourse

I have my gaming PC also serve as a webserver. Practically unlimited disk space to host my files and web pages. Well, it's actually around 8TB but still.

The purpose of VPN is to have access to your network while not being connected to LAN. For example, I still have access to my fileserver even while I'm actually far far away from home.
It's not to hide your ass from the popo. Although it can also be used for that. You can pretend you're at home while actually being outside :^)

Anyone run CEPH?

Been wanting to set it up, but it doesn't seem mature yet.

RAM is good

That guy was talking about corporate level gear.
A hobbyist doesn't have to have that to be classified as one.
And an RPi can still be a decent server, even if it's just for the entrylevel hobbyist

>i am fucking sick of it
Nobody cares.

> real adults
So not you then.

>microshit server
The MicroServer G8 is part of HP's enterprise lineup. Get over it.

>According to CPU boss the celeron outperforms the xeon.
The fuck are you on about? The xeon 1240v2 in my microserver is shitloads faster than that crappy g1610t.

$60 is cheap enough for me, definitely cheaper than comparable ciscos that i was looking at

i paid $70 for a fanless 24 port which is in my office to link everything together.

>4U
What is "a big fan"?

Hey, you're the awesome guy with the ZUN Microsystems box!

>20tb zpool
So I have to ask for some advice as I am looking at setting up ZFS for the first time, for the drives in my backup system, which uses Bacula for a not-so-large amount of data. Only unusual aspects are encryption and drive mirroring (50% is a high cost but it's a backup system for modest amounts of data). I currently run it with pairs of identical drives in Software RAID1 (mdadm) with LUKS on top, followed by ext4. Bacula is neat in that I just give it a place to put files on each drive and it manages storage between/across them as it needs to.

So:

+-----------------------+ +-----------------------+
| Ext4 Partition | | Ext4 Partition |
| LUKS | | LUKS |
| Software RAID (mdadm) | | Software RAID (mdadm) |
| 1TB Drive | 1TB Drive | | 3TB Drive | 3TB Drive |
+-----------+-----------+ +-----------+-----------+

But if I were to transition to ZFS, how do I best achieve mirroring and LUKS encryption? I could simply replace Ext4 with ZFS and then I get this:

| ZFS Partition | | ZFS Partition |
| LUKS | | LUKS |

If you are using zfs on solaris, you would just create the pool encrypted. ZOL doesnt support encryption yet.

Hey, you're the awesome guy with the ZUN Microsystems box!

>20tb zpool
So I have to ask for some advice as I am looking at setting up ZFS for the first time, for the drives in my backup system, which uses Bacula for a not-so-large amount of data. Only unusual aspects are encryption and drive mirroring (50% is a high cost but it's a backup system for modest amounts of data). I currently run it with pairs of identical drives in Software RAID1 (mdadm) with LUKS on top, followed by ext4. Bacula is neat in that I just give it a place to put files on each drive and it manages storage between/across them as it needs to.

So:

| Ext4 Partition | | Ext4 Partition |
| LUKS | | LUKS |

But if I were to transition to ZFS, how do I best achieve mirroring and LUKS encryption? I could simply replace Ext4 with ZFS and then I get this:

| ZFS Partition | | ZFS Partition |
| LUKS | | LUKS |

who else /10Gb/ here?

Sorry to delete my post, I was fighting with the formatting...

>If you are using zfs on solaris
It's running Linux.

The more I read the more I see talk of zpools and zraid mirrors and wonder if ZFS is so different that I am going about this the wrong way? I'm not mixing-and-matching a bunch of random drives. I have 2 identical 3TB drives and 2 identical 1TB drives, so even if ZPools do offer some super special magic, what layer of my current reality do they fall into?

>you want ECC or your going to have problems
please stop spreading this meme.

please stop posting.

Personally I would stick with your current solution. If you are just planning on sticking another filesystem on top of zfs, it kind of defeats the purpose of zfs. I would only consider it when looking to do large storage pools. That being said, solaris does use zfs for single drives which gives your the ability to scrub the filesystem.

Big fan of this new ESXi server. It's a mid tower and runs silent. Bought off Amazon for 1100$

>If you are just planning on sticking another filesystem on top of zfs, it kind of defeats the purpose of zfs.
That isn't my plan, sorry if I mis-spoke. I'm trying to use ZFS for the storage and put Ext in the past. Is there anything wrong with using just ZFS on Linux?

From what I've gathered ZFS kind of combines RAID into its file system capabilities. Please correct me if that assumption is wrong, but my question is could be better phrased as:

If I use ZFS, and it brings along its RAID capabilities, does my layering look like this?

+------------------+ +------------------+
| ZRAID Mirror (?) | | ZRAID Mirror (?) |
+-------+--+-------+ +-------+--+-------+
| LUKS | | LUKS | | LUKS | | LUKS |
+-------+ +-------+ +-------+ +-------+
| Drive | | Drive | | Drive | | Drive |
+-------+ +-------+ +-------+ +-------+

Or does it look more like this?

+----------------------------------------+
| Something About "ZPools" |
+-------+--+-------+--+-------+--+-------+
| ZFS | | ZFS | | ZFS | | ZFS |