/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Unn7fysiE0
youtube.com/watch?v=7kyHycdym_g
allaboutlinux.eu/remove-nouveau-and-install-nvidia-driver-in-debian-8/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Online
thelinuxrain.com/articles/got-tearing-with-proprietary-nvidia-try-this
theverge.com/2015/11/12/9723958/gogo-2ku-wi-fi-plane-in-flight-streaming-netflix
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where's the brown spot??

Good news. I managed to fix it by simply using the latest version instead of the stable one.

Oh well, yay!

make clean

>mfw

So much for "stable".

On my Linux Mint laptop, sometimes it will boot without any sound capability, and the sound output will say "Dummy Output". Rebooting the machine sometimes makes the sound play normally, though there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern.

Is this a Linux Mint problem, or a Thinkpad problem?

probably a think pad problem. those things are about as disposable as a tie fighter.

I'll have you know I've owned the same Tie fighter for 16+ years now and have never had any major issues with it.

do u have "audacious" music playing program? maybe try increasing the volume there? or toggle the mute?

Are you using pure alsa?
Are you using pulseaudio?
Have you set/saved up your alsa rules?

Well my buddy had an old HP vista laptop that i spent the afternoon installing MATE and making it nice.

>mfw threw my encryption key in the trash the one time I clean my room

:(

I guess I have no excuse not to install Arch now.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>no RMS
SOMEONE MAKE A PROPER THREAD ALREADY

DON'T USE THIS THREAD

I'm looking to buy an old laptop to do some work on. I'd like it to be good for web browsing basically, so the main concerns are ease of installation with linux (no broadcom chipsets please) and durability.

Any recommendations?

think pads are pretty solid from what they say on Sup Forums. Im going to get one before I go back to school this fall.

>SOMEONE MAKE A PROPER THREAD ALREADY
>SOMEONE

You do realize....

This is why you take proper backup, definatly with your keys and headers

Might as well repost one more time.
I'm reading on the openwrt wiki and am lost on a few things, any further reading to help me git gud? I know pretty much shit about networks and would like to learn. Maybe ssh into it to get a better grasp?

iptables

Thinkpads are great mang.
Personally I love the T420. You can get it used for low prices.

Definitely not that.

Not sure. Where would I go to look?

Now, what's doubly weird is that I have a JDS amp with headphones, and when I plug that into the USB, the audio software works just fine. When I unplug it, it's "Dummy Output" once more.

What's wrong with Puleaudio?

Using pulseaudio was the only way I could figure out how to switch between sound cards without needing to restart.

I didnt say there was a problem with it.
I'm just asking how his audio is setup.
There is no point in asking him to make changes to pulse settings if they arent there.

>find it
'pgrep pusleaudio'
if you get an id back then you're using it.

Looks like it.

I'm really stupid but want to give Linux a go.
Should I use Debian, Mint, Manjaro or Antergos?
I heard these were the easiest to use.

Anyone here that uses a gnome shell extension called Drop Down Terminal?

If so, have you had the issue that sometimes when you press the hotkey, it doesn't actually drop down until you click around the top part of the screen?

It only happens sometimes, but it's really annoying when it does

Correction: it's not clicking, it's just moving the mouse to the top part of the screen

no clue what the issue is, but there are several alternatives, to that extension, such as terminator, tilda, or guake

Why do you call yourself stupid, user? That's not nice. You're your own best friend. You wouldn't call your best friend stupid, would you?

haven't had that problem

not that guy but I call my best friend, all kinds of rude shit

So after trying out ubuntu via virtual machine I am interested in getting a mini laptop of sorts to install it on.

Most of the mini netbook stuff I am into is usually 2gb RAM.

If I cannot upgrade the RAM to 4gb is 2gb enough to install a simple linux distro and run fairly smooth?

Most stressful activity would be watching videos while shitposting.

>is 2gb enough

256MB would be enough

Questions:

>What client and/or service do you use?
>Why do you use it?
>What are the drawbacks?

idiot OP here...meant to type "email client"

>mutt
>because email clients are all bloated shit like web browsers
>Drawback is I don't get to see bloated flashy vomit-inducing html emails

Is there anything I'm missing using XRender instead of OpenGL for my compositor's rendering backend? With OpenGL, I get flickering every so often.

watching a tut now. this guy is hilarious. just throws "fuckin'" in there a lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=_Unn7fysiE0

I like mutt

but I can't fugging use protonmail with it, so it's for cock.li spam mail

I figure. Just hope it does not lag much. Though I will be relegating my more stressful activities to my other computer.

To add to I am currently looking at the dell inspiron 10 mini's as well as the hp mini's.

Old PC.. P4 2800. Decided to try LXLE, and it's not bad, but it's not like #! before that distro died. Any suggestion for the not so new but, not gentoo?

I'm thinking about installing arch on a asus zenbook, do you think there will be any hardware compatibility issues?

"Linux Lite" is for Windows users. Now winfags have literally no excuses
youtube.com/watch?v=7kyHycdym_g

ugly and gross t͏bh

>arc theme with one click
you blind tbqh famiglia

Arch

I have a small question
I just switched from w10 to linux mint and all is fine and dandy.
When i wasnt ot code i use the the nano editor and here lies my question.
Is there any way to make it feel more like the editor of virtual studio in terms of using spaces and new lines?(sr for the englando)

notepaddqq

ty vm fαm

arch or debian? give reasons.

does anyone know why this happens after ive installed nvidia-364 driver on ubuntu 16.04. i installed using terminal

Does exist a district that will out of the box not up my audio every time I try to use a program that uses Jack? Extra bonus if it uses Gnome because I like Gnome.
Also what are the chances that my specific Casio keyboard will need some fancy driver that Linux does not have? When I search generally it seems to tell me this should be rather plug-and-play, but in the LMMS I installed on Fedora this doesn't seem to be the case, And when I search specifically I don't find anything on Linux.
Also if there's a book that would tell me why it's my fault that I can't access my web server from my phone, that would be helpful.

When it comes to linux, what do you do for security? Anti-virus and firewall and all that.

What do you do since most of the big AV & Firewall software don't work for Linux?

Can I mount my Debian partition on a virtual machine from Windows?

My distro comes with Selinux, but it doesn't seem worth it since Linux has very few viruses and most vulnerabilities come from within where an AV can't get them. Viruses can however get you through WINE, so I'd make damn well sure you can't use an open source application before pirating a non free alternative.

You can mount the physical drive, absolutely. I hope you aren't asking if you can boot from it through virtualbox, because I have no idea.

I was in fact asking if I can boot it. Would it be too risky?

>i installed using terminal
Last time I tried to do that with Debian, I had an empty screen after reboot. I think you have to setup some modules after installing, but I don't really remember. I followed some steps from allaboutlinux.eu/remove-nouveau-and-install-nvidia-driver-in-debian-8/ and they work. If there's any tearing, look up FullCompositionPipeline as an xorg option with Nvidia.
If only AMD stepped their shit up with Linux drivers, I would switch in an instant. It's embarrassing having a 970 beating a Fury. At least they're heading at the right direction with how they treated Polaris, here's hoping they keep it up.

Either, because all distros are fundamentally the same.

A forum post I found says in theory you could do it, but I don't think you'd find anyone who has. If you need to share files from between the two, there are Windows programs that exist to mount ext2 partitions and Linux can read anything so you'd have better luck with a shared partition or drive.

Debian because of the 50k packages so you don't have to compile more than you have to.

antivirus: Common Sense
firewall: ufw, a frontend for the iptables firewall

How come "common sense"=lack of antivirus? Because not using an antivirus on Windows is certainly not common sense.

jesus christ

I'd go with Debian.
Netinstall isn't even that bloated and you can build up from scratch if you chose no DE.
Debian testing has a nice amount of packages that aren't that behind.
Debian Sid is bleeding edge if you're into that.
Debian stable really is stable. Ancient packages are a thing, but so are backports and building packages yourself.

Still, this is my opinion and I'm obviously biased since I run it on my system. By all means, go with Arch if that's what you want.

There are (almost?) no viruses of the "smell this attachment and you're instantly ded" variety seen on windows. So the remaining advice is to not run shady executables or blindly execute commands from the internet. This includes weird technical advice you might pick up from aztec engraving forums. Always know what you're doing on superuser shells.

Debian has been popular on Sup Forums for several years; surely those who use it have had time to become less uninformed?
For starters: 'net install' is the name of one installer, one that is small in size because it fetches packages from the internet instead of storing them locally. If by "not bloated" you mean it doesn't install many packages by default, that is a misconception since net install has the same option to select and install software that the DVD has, and the DVD can also return a small base if you forego said option. It's also extremely inaccurate to refer to numerous packages as bloat, because unlike Windows Linux uses a file system that doesn't get weighed down by the amount of data on the disk, therefore more packages only means your computer can do more things.
Since I last used Debian, did they fix the system where important security updates backported to Stable not long after release on Sid underwent the same freeze period as every other package on Testing? Because if not I'd never recommend one to use it over Ubuntu.
Also define stable and bleeding edge.

Since Windows doesn't have a centralized software repository it is very common for a user scouring the net looking for a program to perform a task, and since Google is a for-profit company they are liable to try multiple commercial adware products until they find a program that works. Each one of these they try increases their chances of one of them being a virus. It is less reasonable than you think to advise a Windows user to 'not download shady software'.

Look at that booty though. I'd take a look at his source code, if ya know what I mean.

I do have a shared partition. I just want to work on my linux configuration while playing vidyas on windows

Configuration should be something you do once and ignore. Besides, you should know what your rice would look like by the code you write.

Yes, I'm aware of the DVDs. They carry just about every single package from the netinstall. It was my mistake, but I usually refer to the netinstall since it's fast to put on a flash drive and it installs quickly.
On security updates, that's only for stable. To my understanding, the team working on security stays in stable and it's up to the package maintainers to give in the extra updates. They eventually get ported to the testing and sid branches however.

>Because if not I'd never recommend one to use it over Ubuntu.
You shouldn't recommend Ubuntu, period. They leach a whole lot from Sid.

>define stable
Come on, user. You let the system run and it stays running unless some external force like power outages or whatnot interfere. It will keep on running unless it's said to stop. It's upgradable without any hassle and stays secure.

>bleeding edge.
More up to date packages. Some distributions don't have up to date kernels, those aren't bleeding edge.

I have been on a tearing ride for a while.
>ran compton and everything was fine
>nouveau a shit, so proprietary it is
>tearing is back
>enable metamodes for pipe composition
>still tearing
>disable compton, everything is fine
To be fair, I had compton with plenty of features that was probably conflicting with Nivida's implementation. Any good settings for compton? Or do I just use the built in xfce4 compositor?

I wouldn't define any of those any of those ways. My Fedora workstation can be left on for weeks on end. It isn't stable however. That refers to how often you'll need to update your machine. And 'bleeding edge' is much more extreme than you put it. For that you have to be using the latest or even beta release of most every package as soon as they come out, like Fedora Rawhide.
Also I hope you have better reason to not recommend Ubuntu other than 'lol noobuntu'. Because other than the specific reasons I don't use it it's a great distro and the one I recommend to newcomers the most.

Why don't you guys just use Office Online instead of fucking around with Linux crap?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Online

Most apps are going to be online like this in the future, they'll run on someone else's hardware instead of yours so you don't need to worry about it being open source.

Quit using outdated technology on your desktop and use a proper DE. If your computer can't run it, tough. That's the price you pay for cheap hardware.

I tried GNOME a few months ago. It had the same shit, but I couldn't just disable the compositor without fucking up other shit. On KDE, I really disliked it. Therefore, xfce it is; I don't want to build a DE from scratch. Besides, everything is fine now, except that I don't have shadows with my windows, not a huge problem. Also, a 3570k paired up with a 970 is still good hardware.

Where will my files and programs be when I need them most? What will I do when I need access to my things when I'm overseas, or on a plane, or on a train going through fucknowhere?

New as fuck to Linux.
What does it mean to compile/decompile stuff?

They'll be in "the cloud" and you can access them from anywhere.

Something you will most likely never have to deal with.

GNOME being a modern DE is subject to constant updates so GNOME now might not be the same as GNOME months ago. And Fedora has better support for NVidia than what you use.
So did you try this?
thelinuxrain.com/articles/got-tearing-with-proprietary-nvidia-try-this

Give me your definitions then. I didn't think much about mine and ithey obviously has flaws.

Yes, Bleeding edge is more exaggerated. I should have said Sid is more on the bleeding edge side. I compile shit straight from the git repos, that's more akin to bleeding edge. Fedora is bleeding edge, but it has cost them problems with recent releases especially with their Wayland adoption.

I never said anything about noobuntu.
The only reason I would recommend Ubuntu is so people can get some taste of Linux and GNU. It's a fairly popular distro and people like to try that. That being said, I always say to move to another distro when you feel confident on how several things on Linux work.

It's getting late, I'm heading to bed. Expect more (You)s in several hours.

I'll have high-speed internet access when I'm flying over the Pacific Ocean, you say?

Just use Windows or OS X and stop listening to Sup Forums, this board is full of idiots.

>enable metamodes for pipe composition
It's on my first reply user. I WAS on a tearing ride, it's all fine now. All I'm asking is for some extra goodies for windows. I might try GNOME in the future, xfce doesn't seem to be getting an update anytime soon and others are picking up wayland.

Sup Forums, which one is better for learning how linux really works, arch or gentoo?

>I can't watch netflix on a plane

>movies btfo

Faggot.

The one that requires you to compile Linux.

theverge.com/2015/11/12/9723958/gogo-2ku-wi-fi-plane-in-flight-streaming-netflix

Does anyone here know anything about Linux and multimedia production or are my questions going to go unanswered?

mfw i found that fucking key after reinstalling everything

i know that turnkey distros exist, and that bitwig studio is a thing

Tell me about this magical service that will allow me to watch crappy summer blockbusters at a 100% constant bitrate when I'm a mile up in the air at this point.

slackware

Question for all of you Linux users.
If all Linux distros are fundamentally the same, then why stop somebody from installing Ubuntu over say Gentoo?

If all distros are the same then why doesn't everybody just use Ubuntu since it's the easiest and most user friendly?

I completely advocate letting people use Ubuntu, but other distros have features to offer that Ubuntu has not, such as Gentoo's user control over everything.

I know bitwig
>paid software on Linux
So would you be able to answer any of my grievances in ? Or should I install Ubuntu Studio and cross my fingers?

Straining to find exceptions doesn't change the reality. All apps will be online in the future, you will run them from "the cloud". The ideology of Linux open source apps is worthless at that point.

If you're fine with posting on Sup Forums then you're fine with using Microsoft's Office Online over whatever POS office software open source Linux has.