E-reader thread

Do you have an e-reader, Sup Forums?

Kobo, Kindle? How do you like yours? Pet peeves? On the verge of buying one? E-book sources? Still prefer physical copies? etc etc

I don't read so there is no reason for me to buy an ereader.

A while ago, though, when ereaders were just being released on the market, I remember there was one that came with a free lifetime 3G t mobile connection - does anyone know which one this is?

It could be used to browse wikipedia and buy books, but the wikipedia functionality alone makes it worth it. Basically an encylopedia tablet that you can just leave in your car or whatever.

I used to use an ereader to read manga, but I got sick of squinting at the shit resolution display so I gave up and got a tablet.

Best decision ever.

I had a kindle 3 (I think) with this functionality. It was the grey one with the keyboard and no touchscreen.

thats the original kindle

i just ordered an old-ass Kindle Keyboard for $15 bucks and I plan to throw an ePub reader onto it.

I believe there were a select few on which you could access the whole internet - do you remember if yours could?

do you know what the browser on the kindle was like?
you think it's actually worth it to buy one just to use for internet? I think I might as well if it's cheap

Does the free 3G connection for the original kindles still work?

I would think they discontinued that ages ago.

I have an original kindle. I remember it being kind of "neat" that it had a browser, but I also remember it being absolutely terrible. I think my 1st generation PSP had a better browser.

>I would think they discontinued that ages ago.
I believe that it's through ATT/ Sprint, Amazon couldn't do anything to disable it unless they pushed out a firmware update that changed things and nobody would update now

Wouldn't the isp just cut it off?

>I think my 1st generation PSP had a better browser.
It was the same browser (Netfront) but maybe the Kindle had a newer version.

They work via SIM card, they used to ban people who were jerry-rigging their kindles to tether to their laptops so they could get free internet.

>no colors
>shit refresh rate
>worst case of burn in(worst than AMOLEDs!) ever
>only comes in pocket sized display sizes
>only redeeming factor is battery life
>still better and sometimes cheaper to get a proper tablet

Why do you guys still voluntarily suffer through this?

I can read in the sun with a Kindle, whereas my tablet is impossible to use in any brightly lit area.

Does anyone have any experience with using a hacked ereader as a small monitor for programming? There's an actual e-ink monitor but it's ridiculously expensive so I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this. I've seen some videos on youtube of it sorta-working but not much info on getting set up.

The whole point of e-ink is that it doesn't strain your eyes. Obviously it's objectively worse in terms of performance.

Why would you read outdoors when you can do other outdoorsy things?

>i don't read

Okay why are you posting, I fucking hate people like you who exclaim their "i don't do reading" shlock and wear it like a badge of honor.

Also reading wikipedia is literally reading. Fuck off with quickness, you cunt.

It's not so much reading instead of doing out doors things. It's when I read, I go outside to read. I like my porch.

Reading is for nerds.

Sony DPT-S1

OP,

I've got a kindle. I use it to read any book that's meant to be consumed like a novel.

Textbooks/instructional books, I stick with my iPad. For those, quickly highlighting and smoothly going back and forth is worth the trade off of portability, battery life and eye strain.

I don't read comics/manga so I can't comment on either of those.

The e-ink sceen tbqh, still amazes me something like it even exists. I use mine for reading and reading only so none of your problems pertain to me. If you plan to do anything more than that on a similarly portable form factor you're better off with a tablet

>wear it like a badge of honor.
I really wish I read more but I am just bluntly saying I don't do a lot of reading now

s-sorry if this makes you mad user

obviously I am not proud of not reading, but... I don't read

This is what I'm wondering. I think an e-ink display just for programming would be dope as hell. I'd get one in a heartbeat if they had like a 27" e-ink panel for ~$400 but it's probably not happening.

this is an e-reader thread. that doesn't read anything besides PDFs and it costs infinity dollars.

some of us read while going to work

not while driving of course

Why would anyone buy this

No, it reads EPUBs fine and only costs $700 now.

Yea the Dasung Paperlike is $1300 for a 13-inch e-ink monitor, so something of decent value will never happen. I'd just be happy if I could use my Kobo Aura HD as a screen for my text editor while having my other windows open on my normal monitors.

>only costs $700 now.
well in that case it's perfectly reasonable

>Not while driving of course
Speak for yourself

Reminder you don't have to pay a cent to remove special offers on Kindle devices, just ask the customer support via chat and they'll be happy to do it for free

Bump

why the fuck would you shill something you don't even own

there you go, check the sticky