Is it actually possible to get a job 100% self-taught or is it a pipe-dream?

Is it actually possible to get a job 100% self-taught or is it a pipe-dream?

if you know the right people, but none of you basement dwellers obviously dont

Maybe, you never know.
I once aced a SQL test but didn't get in because I had no degree.

I've met one completely self taught programmer and she worked her way in as a tester and quickly rose through the ranks to become pretty vital to our R&D. She's really driven and can talk your head off about minutia of languages, and its obvious when someone can do that they're probably a good hire.

>she
>good hire

total pipe dream for 99% of the people who want to do that without starting their own company

now post more puppers

i tell you secret
you can be completely self-taught
never worked in field

yet still be able to make automated systems that will bring you money without working

Your jealousy is showing, m99.

At a place I used to work at, one of the cleaners took an interest with system admin stuff. Not exactly self-taught because he took some night classes to get started, but he didn't have a degree, and got hired there.

Wow look at all these anecdotes! Honestly, nearly impossible unless you commit a lot of time and become rainmaker level autist. Just go to night school if you really want. Try and clep some classes. You only need a 2 year tech degree to make money.

that's not self-taught

someone noticed his work ethic as a cleaner and took a chance on him.

Totally true and not a troll at all.

No, you need a real 4 year degree to get entry level jobs.

Don't be stupid. No one who works as a janitor ends up with a tech career.

tell that to matt damon

janitor reqs:
- methodically clean 100x100 area with muscle

tech reqs
- methodically fix 1x1 area with automated programs

janitors have a harder job.

>No, you need a real 4 year degree to get entry level jobs.
Depends on the tech degree honestly.

It's certainly possible. I got my first job by sheer luck right after high school. I applied to several companies and most of them didn't even reply, but this one ISP was curious why I would apply without qualifications and invited me to an interview and eventually hired me (for shit pay). Moved to different town to eventually go to college and got a job there by citing my previous experience. Later got a better offer in yet another town and I still work there. Got a degree by now though.

It is certainly possible. Your best bet is to find apprenticeship schemes. If you make some personal projects that are good you stand a better chance. Everyone in development at the company I work for has a degree though.

My brother is working as a network admin and making decent money with no schooling.

The key to getting a career self-taught is working up from entry level and building a portfolio of work that shows competence in the field.

For my brother he started working in a mom and pop computer store/repair then went to a job working it support and moved up though that.

>Try and clep some classes
What the ungodly fuck does this sentence even mean?

Yes. I was home schooled for most of my life went to 8th grade finished high school. Went into the fast food industry at 17 was managing a domino's by 21. Quick stop working for a hawian cafe for a year or so. Then moved to the country because I found a job on a farm. Now I clean seeds drive tractors run huge pivot wheel lines.
Make your dreams come true! Yes you can!

It's possible but not easy. Most people who are self-taught usually become self-employed as well.

No, Vogons won't consider anyone without paperwork.

Clep means take a special test that gives you college credit without having to actually take the class. Its usually for older students that already have work experience to avoid taking unecessary low level classes.

Basically has nothing to do with OPs question though

Thank you. I just looked it up, CLEP is an acronym apparently so I don't think it can be "verbed" in the way that other user used it.

Yes, I did. You have to start on the bottom and be both awesome and lucky in multiple ways, though. I started as a temp intern changing tapes, now im making about $130k as a senior lead engineer. Took about 7 years to hit that. I have no degree but Im self-taught and am always learning and enhancing my skills. I make it a point to know more than everyone around me as best I can.

You have to be really good at problem solving. This is where the tech awesomeness shines. Those moments when you handle something that no one else succeeded at will create a reputation
You have to be eager to solve things that arent necessarily being asked for by management - you cant be discouraged if others are dragging their feet. Go around them. When you get it done it further builds your rep
You have to be a good communicator both written and verbal, both to be effective and because you have to advocate / take credit for yourself sometimes.
You have to be lucky that your management will notice and care about good results. A lot of places actually dont (many managers are overly concerned with keeping their jobs and keeping themselves comfortable -- its far more important for these people to avoid risk rather than obtain impressive results. Avoid these environments -- excellence is fundamentally less important there)

I am very solid technically but I credit my growth mainly to pushing for results in the face of apathy, good communication skills (I just mean getting information across one on one and in writing. Im NOT a charismatic person) and LUCK in landing in a place that values results and rewards them.

Its harder having no degree, no doubt. But succeeding without one feels kinda awesome too.

You sound like the kind of guy that goes around striking matches for no fucking reason other than to climb the corporate ladder. Fuck your kind user.

Yes
But you have to be fucking good at your job and with people
I had no qualifications in engineering and now maintain CAD machines with my employer paying for the relevant paperwork.
Repairing things was all i was ever good at.

>she
Got hired for gender quotas, so irrelevant.

I fucking hate normies who learn to code properly and take my job by having other "qualifications" and "social capacity" and 'hygiene".

I'm self taught. There are shitty companies in niche industries that will hire you. I worked my way in through being a "computer guy" in a very nontechnical office and did programming on the job in my downtime, which meant that I then had x years professional experience and got a real programming job. You just have to be driven and opportunistic. And don't expect to land a Jr. dev position first thing. Basically tech support is going to take the same amount of time as uni, but you end up making money instead of accruing debt.

LOL no. I am NOT charismatic. My motivation is to solve complex problems tha result in something beneficial that I can see. I implement technical and process changes that have obvious money / productivity benefits and that people end up liking once theyre in. But risk-averse people are scared of all change and will block you, you have to go around them.

BUT there is no need to ever fuck anyone over or stab anyone in the back. The reality is that you will not always get credit for those benefits and sometimes the people who blocked them try to take credit for them later. Thats life. You dont need to fuck those people over at all, HOWEVER you do need to make sure your name is sufficiently attached to the success (even if you share it with those other people). That allows you to rise and also makes your next project easier because those people will have less resistance.

If you are in a "climb the corporate ladder" kind of company, consider leaving. Those places dont let you shine for your work

Can I get a job with a CCENT cert if I self studied to get it and didn't take any classes?

Depends on the job. No one at my employer is an engineer without a degree. A start-ups they won't normally care.

So basically she sucked a bunch of dicks and got the job, good for her

I get my certs that way too but sadly most employers dont care about that. It just matters that you have the cert. You have to find other ways to distinguish yourself from the cert-mill boot camp people

I worked at a computer where none of the programmers had studied CS. One didn't even have a degree but he got in when it was a startup, so that gives you an idea.

I would suggest putting up projects publicly, say a website (if you're a webdev) or on Github. That way you can prove your skills to potential employers.

*at a job