Best GUI framework for Ruby?

Best GUI framework for Ruby?

Other urls found in this thread:

electron.atom.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>framework

None

Also stop using Ruby and let it die already the world will be a better place.

Probably TK or Shoes, since appropriate Qt bindings don't exist.

Pic related.

>Starbucks
They'd be lynched by their coworkers if they were ever caught frequenting Starbucks. Only the finest Venezuelan light roast flat white made by a tattooed postcolonial literature student at an indie coffee shop will do.

t. that kind of coder (but Go instead of Ruby)

Shoes is OK for most purposes, but generally GUIs are not Ruby's strongest point.

You might look into Electron, if you know some JS:
>electron.atom.io/

> Only the finest Venezuelan light roast flat white made by a tattooed postcolonial literature student at an indie coffee shop will do.

I-is it bad if I'm loving ruby and would totally go to this coffee shop, senpai?

>Programming GUI in JS

gentoo

>not creating a responsive GUI that scales and has multiple colour themes

It's like you don't even want people to use your app..

>I-is it bad if I'm loving ruby and would totally go to this coffee shop, senpai?
Only if you crave the approval of unsophisticated, unemployed permavir/g/ins

>electron.atom.io
>write your desktop apps in JS, HTML, CSS
>Apps Built on Electron
>Brave browser
Are they seriously running a browser inside a JS virtual machine? Or is this some small part of the browser that they're taking credit for?

It uses Chrome APIs and a Node.js runtime, so basically yes.

>creating a 100mb+ fart app.

The only dynamically typed languages that are even remotely close to as nice as Ruby are Lisp variants, IO and Erlang/Elixir.

This, and if you insist use Crystal instead, so your users get at least a small, fast application.

>he doesn't know how to do responsive design without javascript

You see, people love they stereo types..

Who cares if Ruby is a perfectly designed langauge?
Who cares if it has some of the most powerfull features of langauges like Perl, Python, Lisp, Smalltalk and other langauges?
Who cares that you can include C files in 1000 differnt ways for bottlenecks?

>Muh starbuck hipster artisan meme

I'm just saying.. this is a working server:

require 'socket'

server = TCPServer.new 2000
loop do
Thread.start(server.accept) do |client|
client.puts "Hello !"
client.puts "Time is #{Time.now}"
client.close
end
end

And this is I/O:
File.open("my/file/path", "r") do | f |
f.each_line do |line|
puts line
end
end
# File is closed automatically at end of block

When I see this elegance somewhere else I'm willing to listen to this fuckers.

>this elegance

Rubycucks confirmed for not knowing any other languages
Just Google "http server Node.js". It's literally the exact same length and structure.

This is one reason I like Ruby, Lisp and Scala. The basic foundations are powerful enough that almost everything else can be built on them.

In languages like Python they had to add tons of parser hacks and additional incoherent features to reach a comparable state.

Who cares? Javascript has a million other problems. Outside of PHP you'd be hard pressed to find a language worse than Javascript.

I got married 3x and have 5 kids. I learned a lot, I wish someone warned me.
Here is my warning to you:

1) Make an agreement to never hurt each other and stick to it. No matter what happens never ever say or do anything to hurt or insult each other. If you can't keep that promise, your marriage will eventually crumble. Don't escalate bad behavior. If she does something bad, don't try to do something worse. Again, most marriages fail quickly if they can't agree to deescalate each other.

[code
]2) People tend to get married for a constant supply of sex/love. But they both fade over time. It gets boring; you eventually will have sex once a month then a few times a year. People cheat when they want the excitement of the early years. Don't get married until you accept that sexual excitement will fade. Honestly, you can keep things exciting for a long time but marriage for life is much longer. Just hold on, at some point your desire will slow down and you will stop caring if you don't have sex a lot.

3) Marriage can be a huge financial win but divorce can be a larger disaster. I had to sell my first house for $800K after my first divorce and it is worth $2M today. Ouch!

2) Kids love you a ton when they are young and need you. As they grow they need you less and their love drops off. Don't have kids because you think they will make you happy forever. They are a lot of work but they are their own person. They aren't really going to return your investment in them. Kids take a huge amount of time. Don't have kids until you're ready to spend 5+ years playing with them. Once they go to school and get friends, your need to play with them will drop off quickly.

But unlike Ruby, it doesn't collapse when it gets more than 3 requests per second.

1. Node isn't actually that fast. Once you actually start adding necessary libraries that are actually written in Javascript performance drops off a cliff.

2. You have never written, and never will, write a site where the performance of either is going to be an issue.

Dude, do me a favour and write this socket in C. And while doing so, please note that this example also uses threads - so multiple users can connect at the same time. It's at least 50 lines of code..

Something like NodeJS comes close, but that's why I put the second example there - Ruby is also an amazing scripting language and I have yet to see a nicer way to process files. Maybe Haskell, but I wouldn't use Haskell for other reasons.

Ruby has a lot of stregths and only very few weaknesses (for example for math stuff I wouldn't use it or concurrency).

Oh I know quite a few..
(right now I'm learning Scheme for example).

It's more like you can appreciate Ruby even more if you know more langauges...

:)

Also who said there can be only one nice langauge? I don't liek C, but it has it's usage at certain moments..

WTF dude?
This is sad.

tell me why i shouldn't just sudoku

I've been on the path of learning a programming language for a few months now and ruby is the one I was able to stick with.

truly a perfect retort

Ruby performance has improved a lot since 2009 senpai.