/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
# - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
# - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/9pe75/raw

Other urls found in this thread:

trastetes.blogspot.mx/2015/02/recuperar-grub2-de-ubuntu-1404-tras.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>libxcb depends on python
>no suckless alternative for libxcb

>OP pic is always stallman
>is never linus

go back 3 threads. also Linus has tons of fame (only partially earned), rms is hardly known outside of Sup Forums.

>hardly known outside of Sup Forums
user please.

>rms is hardly known outside of Sup Forums

What the literal shit are you talking about?

step outside the free software world even a step and almost nobody knows him.

Is Ubunto MATE currently the best distro for noobs?

Same goes for Linus.

No, Gentoo is, because it scares them back to windows so they don't ask us retarded questions here.

That wasn't a friendly response. Please no bully

>retards don't deserve freedom

Ganoo_plus_Checked

Please don't lump us with normies.

Anyone with fedora got mpd+ncmpcpp running?

It flat wouldn't won't work for me.

Error message?

Your problem is not distro specific user, post your config.

The most common problem with mpd is tha people set up a user config but mpd is by default started as root. Try killing it and start it as user.

systemctl --user enable/start mpd

I want to make a dotfiles repository in github and I'm using mpd as a tutorial to learn how to.
The problem is, mpd keeps updating his log/mpdstate file thus fucking up git. What's the best approach? Put these files on gitignore or make sure that mpd doesn't generate these logs?

Ignore it

gitignore

Hey /fglt/ where the hell is a usable gun/linux phone or tablet?

I want to go full freefag, but it looks like no such thing exists in 'murica. What do? Using muh chinkpad to make calls and check mail on the train is a pain in the balls.

I have problem with terminal Sup Forums
Last night i installed arch+gnome
When i start laptop everything works fine but after few hours of work, terminal wont start.
When i try to run in it starts and like it fails
halp pls

The Ubuntu phones are a-ok last time I checked.

What terminal are you using?
What are the error messages?

Start it from your terminal and check the error mess... oh wait.

that non-free software world doesn't matter.

>tfw not a noob and still using Ubungu MATE

yeah, would recommend it to noobs.

system is installed last night and it is default terminal from gnome.
No error, just it starts and shuts, never loads

are th ubuntu phones really okay? I am still having a few doubts. does anyone here use one?

ok, I'll install Obango MATE.

Any recent changes/errors in your ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile?

>tfw Ubantu M8 is the best Linux distribution

i only added aliases
But as i said, terminal works when i start laptop, but after few hours it just wont start

It's kind of lacking in the 'app' department if that's your thing, otherwise it's decent.

You can start xterm via:
- CTRL+ALT+F1
- login
- DISPLAY=:0 xterm
- CTRL+ALT+F7

Or just search for your error using your tty.

Check journalctl for error msgs?
I don't use Ubunto so I can't help you much.

The default GUI-based compression program in Ubuntu is total ass, what do you guys use/recommend?

Is Peazip the best? Does the 7zip install come with a GUI because it's not obvious what it's called?

How about the 'not being a piece of shit like iphone/android/windoze' department?

Reminder that unless you have less than 2GB RAM you should install the main version of Ubuntu, not the variants, because they're not good.

Why?

>Ubuntu
i'm on Arch
can't do that with laptop

If you're asking if it's usable, yes it is. If you're asking if it's more than that, then no, just get an android phone and root it/customize it.

>unity
enjoy your keyloggers

Ark. Reason being that it came with KDE and it works alright.

don't be dumb user, it's all the same underneath.

they would use the 'variants', or spins, for different DEs. Believe it or not, some people don't like unity, but are ok with ubuntu underneath

Because you lose ease of use, support, a good UI for some edgy-ass DE like Xfce.

Unity just werks now no keyloggers any more

Just learn how to use tar + the compression programs (gzip, xz, bzip2). It's worth it in the long run and you won't need to deal with shitty tools like Ubuntu's anymore.

>>no keyloggers any more
disabled keyloggers != no keyloggers

>no keyloggers any more
~/.bash_history

>some people don't like unity
But Unity is fine unless you have an ancient toaster

In that case, what's stopping them from adding keyloggers to Xubuntu for example?

Or use atool for CLI goodness.

>CLI goodness
what is tar

This.

>But Unity is fine unless you have an ancient toaster
sure, but some people still don't want it even if their machine can run it fine.

Is it really worth it when I quickly need to delete multiple files from inside a zip file though? Because I just tried that in the GUI program and it wouldn't work.
I doubt it would be easier in the CLI.

Atool supports more file types than just tar basically.

The good thing about atool is, you don't need to remember any commands/flags (you just run aunpack file.tar.gz) and it prevents archives from being scattered allover the place.

>The good thing about atool is, you don't need to remember any commands/flags (you just run aunpack file.tar.gz)
7z x does the same thing
>and it prevents archives from being scattered allover the place.
That's cool.

Too bad it can't handle rar files.

It can, but it needs rar/unrar, since atool is just a perl script frontend for already installed packers.

That's the point, basically.

rar archives don't devers being extracted anyway.
When will people finally stop using it?

I don't see any ubuntu phones available in the US.

>devers
*deserve

devers?

you can flash it onto some phones, but yeah their US strategy isn't all there, must be our screwy cell towers compared to the rest of the world. same with jolla phones

literally when the scene faggots stop using it en masse and switch to 7zip, it's happening slowly though

Maybe this. (Took them years to drop avi).

I rarely see rar archives anymore from the scene? Maybe if you're getting your shit from usenet/irc?

>using bash
>type: . script
>press TAB
>autofills to ". script.zip" instead of ". script.sh "
>press ENTER and computer explodes

why would bash offer me to dot execute a zip file ?

script .zip has x permissions while script.sh does not.

i just checked and it does not have x permission

>what is tar
weird to untar and rato written backwards

install windows x

Quick question, Ive installed Linux Mint on my newly acquired ThinkPad T420, which I dubbed the MemePad. I am not detecting any bluetooth devices, and I believe updating the bios will solve this? Or I may just be missing hardware. How to update bios??

>I believe updating the bios will solve this
No.

Updating the BIOS is alawys a last resort. If you don't even know what hardware you have you shouldn't even be considering it.

Ive looked up the most recent .iso on lenovo, but the website is saying it is compatable with several different types of windows...will that file still work?

hey linux guys. since microsoft will be frocing cortana down all our throats, i am actually considering switching my main desktop to linux.

i ould like a comfy desktop that has the abbility to pass through my second gpu to a virtual so I can play games.

is debian the way to go?

geforce 550 ti soon possibly 1060 is what i am using btw

Doesn't explain the lack of a tablet though.

NEED HELP
Guys I dual booted Win10 just to secure my fucking license if I ever needed Win10 for whatever the fuck reason.

I had Arch as the only OS, then installed Win10 and activated and of course, grub no longer worked.

Tried to follow this dumb guide:
>trastetes.blogspot.mx/2015/02/recuperar-grub2-de-ubuntu-1404-tras.html

It is in spanish but I'm sure you can identify the commands.
Now I can't boot either Arch nor Win10

How the fuck do I fix this shit. I need my laptop for work right now.

Thanks in advance.

install gentoo

just check if bluetooth is enabled in bios.

had my memepad's sd card reader not work because of that.

Boot Arch USB, reinstall grub?

I have a T420 4180-AP3 with an i5-2520M cpu. I do not know if it comes with hardware or not and I was wondering if any one here has direct experience with my same model and distro.

>I had
Sorry, but this made me laugh.

>arch
>work
Pick one.

>gentoo
>comfy desktop

please give me a sane alternative

New to Ubuntu, trying to extract a rar :
"an error occured, parsing files is unsupported".
What do?
I installed 7zip but it doesn't show anywhere and Peazip just crashes when I try to open the rar with it.

Debian Testing or Fedora

Windows doesn't like other systems. Always first install Windows, then GNU/Linux distro.

thanks , that is interesting

>please give me a ane alternative
leave Sup Forums

You need the p7zip-rar package, which is nonfree and therefore not included with 7z by default.

install unrar

there is a GPLd version and the official "non-free" version (which is still open source)

./friendly.sh

Install unrar?