Despite its popularity, PHP is considered by the programming elite, almost without exception...

Despite its popularity, PHP is considered by the programming elite, almost without exception, as one of the worst languages currently in use today. The term “good PHP programmer” is considered an oxymoron. Yet it’s the primary language we use here for development, and it’s the only language we use for everything touching the production MailChimp application.

But you notice, they use it. They don’t let those groundless prejudices stop them.

There are memes which, nearly constantly, circulate on the internet about how developers from each language see each other. Does that mean that these feelings, these beliefs, these preconceptions are true, that they have any basis in reality?

No. It just means that they’re feelings, beliefs, and preconceptions. Now some languages are more challenging, some have a greater barrier to entry, some require more skill and dedication to master than others. C and assembly languages are two good examples. And they have their uses.

But believing that you’re not a real programmer because you’ve not used a specific programming language is, well, ludicrous. Perhaps one language’s style appealed to you more than another’s. Perhaps that specific language was the language required at work. Perhaps you had an environment which was more or less conducive to certain types of programming, such as a Linux laptop.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/php/php-src
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack_(programming_language)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>trying to be a voice of reason on a designated shitposting board
absolute madman

this lmao
>tfw C devving for 10 years, mostly C+SDL1/2 for games
>used Java, C++, Haskell, Scheme, GML, etc
>got a job in Python
>mfw it's a great fucking language, 2nd to C but only because I'm biased with C. If I was less biased, it'd be my top 1
>neets here will say it's shit
Don't fall for the Sup Forums meme lads

Ruby is even worse.

I always hate on every programming language on here even if I don't have the slightest programming background. You fucking nerds always take the bait

Nothing is worse than PHP

Not even Perl

I love Perl. I started out on Perl making forum software in my bedroom. It's my bread and butter.

larry while bite you if you say untrue things about perl

W-will he scream random characters at me?

PHP is just objectively bad, just because some people decided to waste their time making something in it doesn't make it better.

Well it's slow, there's no denying it. But if it's small stuff that doesn't need much performance, python is good with that. Or for prototyping difficult things.

This fucking guy, why did people start using php? What's the appeal?

its easy and you can finish your job quickly.
it just werks lel.

So are languages that are relatively sane, like python, java, or whatever. Anything but php.

What is still wrong un php now?
It seems they fixed all the shitty things, no?

It's opensource, you literally can change what you want!
github.com/php/php-src

It's better now, it's still not as expressive as Python/JS, and in a competitive world, you need to be expressive and create constructs quickly

Java = Oracle Corporation
At least PHP is more independent...

yeah. But compare job offers in those languages and php... PHP is in first 10 of most popular programming lanuages.
I currently work in php - laravel, mobile apps REST api's - and they work.(I'am a begginer.). Clients are happy. What else should I expect?
Pff.

JavaScript is far more unexpressive and verbose than php.
It's pretty cool to have return type in php7 and it's much faster than default python3 or nodejs interpreters.

Programing is not for paid developers only!
I like eating healthy foods, but I am not a dietician!

>JavaScript is far more unexpressive and verbose than php.
Then where are all the PHP frameworks? JS is incredibly expressive and you can pretty much turn it into anything, hence why every framework feels so different to the next

>programming elite, almost without exception
Hacker News is not the whole fucking world.

I started programming php when I was 14-15 and I've studied Industrial Informatics (EE+CE).
I'm still making most of my money programming php forum add-ons in my 25s.
I'm not fond of Java and proffered to use c++ in the university wherever I could.

I use golang for my pet projects and randomly read the rust book (+ the uncompleted oreilly one).

I like javascript's async style and I hate its dynamic typing.
I can't wait for MemeFavLang->wasm converters BTW so most of the HN niggers stop shitposting their javascript hate/"fixes".

Everything boils down to personal taste and what makes you money.

as a
said php had some issues, and most of bad fame is based od early versions. buy is still true... Iam aware some functions could have syntactly more consistent naming, but with modern IDE's it isnt a problem.

No consistency is not really a advantage for JavaScript, it's a nightmare for the developers of web browsers!

>Why every framework feels so different to the next?
Because JavaScript had no real specification, that's why there are so many frameworks like angular, react, ember, vuejs, jquery, express, nodal, koa, meteorjs, ...

is it still true*
>dont drink and wirte

So should I learn "newer" things like elixir or swift?

What's the best for 2016 developer?
- C# 6
- Swift 3
- EcmaScript 2015
- PHP 7
- Java 8

JavaScript
With it you can make Android apps, iOS apps, desktop apps, web apps, universal Windows apps, network services, and even robots
No other language is nearly as versatile

Mmmmmh Swift!

Yes but the js api to do these are ugly, limited, old/deprecated and sometimes paid like ionic or unity3d.

There are no official javascript scripting engine for android and ios.
There are just ugly/retarded wrappers with limited wrapped features or are just webview based shits!

>what is React Native

I think electron might be alright for desktop apps but that's about as far as JS apis are going to carry you before you're better off using the language dedicated to the platform (C#, objective-c, swift, Java)

Limited, very very limited and it's a fucking garbage.

>it's a nightmare
For you

Python is actually p good.
Well, I haven't much used it to be honest. Instead, I've used ruby.
But it's preposterous how fucking quick shit gets done, as opposed to "haaaaard!" langauges like C and Common Lisp.
I'm sure, to every language it's place, but these sort of opinions are sure to tick those elites who think CL is THE superior language to which all other languages must bow.

No I simply don't care about javascript anymore.
I talked about people who have to develop js interpreters in web browsers like firefox or chrome.

Enjoy your fucking slow and ram hungry applications.
Electron is just a stupid chromium wrapper, it's fucking young and has very limited features compared to the chromium-embedded-framework.

CefSharp is better!

If you don't care, don't bother speaking

I don't care as a developer but not as a web user.
It's everywhere and almost all recent hacks were caused by javascript, not poor coded javascript but simply javascript. It's a nightmare that should be eradicated from the web! If you want a better tomorrow your children, javascript needs to die! Sooner is better!

>python
CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES

Sup Forums will hate on anything though, except maybe C.

Tell them you use python or ruby, and you're some kind of hipster.
Tell them you use Java or C# and they'll call you Pajeet.
Tell them you use php or Javascript, and they will rightfully call you a fucking retard because that's what you are.
Tell them you use C++ they'll say the language is bloated, convulated, etc.

Do you know some schools want to learn javascript to kids.
It's very concerning for the future of the human in the universe.
Some parents are happy and said "At least, it's not COBOL or BASIC!" but damn, they are completely crazy and irresponsible.

>Tell them you use php or Javascript, and they will rightfully call you a fucking retard because that's what you are.
I highly doubt this guy would care about being called a retard by clueless NEETs, since he became the 2nd youngest self-made billionaire in history thanks to PHP and JS.
(PS: the youngest self-made billionaire used the same two languages)

Javascript interpreters are the new FLASH!

Programming is not money making dude!
If you think so, you are like all these young sluts believing sex is money making or all these old fags believing that buying things is living.

Just because you're not earning money from programming it doesn't mean everyone else is a worthless NEET in their mother's basement complaining about how hard working people use languages they don't understand, user.

I, too, took Philosophy 101.

Javascript all the way baby, HTML+CSS+JS on front-end is a must, so why not in back-end also (my code looks awesome, its about developer not about language)

Also c++ for muh games (ue4)

Rest are just waste of time, only thing you can do with other languages is come here and brag about how you can print one liner in a fucking console

I too was 14 once

I think you didn't understand. People in this thread are thinking they have to learn a language because some retarded enterprises have job propositions. That's why some of them learned COBOL, VBS or ActionScript. This is not programming at all.

PHP owes it shit reputation mostly to the massive amounts of absolutely terrifying spaghetti code produced by complete amateurs for whom PHP, because of its low entry barrier, is first programming language (it's soon going to be the case with Python, BTW). That, and some ancient abominations like Wordpress refusing to fucking die already.

PHP7 is actually a pretty decent and well performing language.

Also, a friendly reminder that up until recently JavaScript was also "considered by the programming elite, almost without exception, as one of the worst languages" and now it seems to be regarded as the greatest invention ever for some reason.

>only thing you can do with other languages is come here and brag about how you can print one liner in a fucking console
wew, or earn far more than a codemonkey or webdev doing embedded development, netsec, pentesting, etc

Javascript is not for elite, just for young and dumb people.

Don't trust retarded IT web magazines.

> Perhaps one language’s style appealed to you more than another’s

Yeah, PHP is a code-monkey language.

Like any interpreted languages? No?

No, PHP is much worse.

There is absolutely no reputable company which has been founded in the past 4 years which has used PHP. It is used solely by old companies who used it when they didn't know any better, and kept because it's cheaper than switching.

Does it mean you prostitute yourself?
I don't get it... Maybe it's just shitposting?

Why? Just fix it, sources are available!

Yes that's like Java and C#...

That's exactly what Facebook did
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack_(programming_language)

Why would anyone that's not heavily invested in PHP bother to fix it when almost every other language is better and more consistent?

>Just fix whatever you don't like about this poop before you eat it

That's exactly what good/sane people do!

Some things from Hack were ported into php itself.

It's your opinion and choice...