/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/G40.html
slickdeals.net/f/8968799-38-off-lenovo-thinkpad-x-t-series-675
cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3320M-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2540M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>it looks hideous for a tablet
Didn't you look at it before buying it online? Cmon man.
The Tablet series up until maybe X240 Tablet look garbage.
>Is the X220 any better?
X220 is good, mine had heat problems that were fixed by disabling intel speed step and by applying PERFECT THERMAL PASTE desu
The hinges are undoubtedly better because the tablet uses one hinge.
I'd stick with the tablet version, you'll end up losing money by swapping one for the other, and it'll essentially be the same specs.

First for Tomes stop trying to find me in these threads

Yeah but I didn't expect the x220t to look this ugly. Not to mention the battery life is 3.5 hours!

>
>Yeah but I didn't expect the x220t to look this ugly.
It'll grow on you, remember memepads arent a meme cause they look great
>the battery life is 3.5 hours!
This a new battery?
I bought one of the genuine 6 cells and im able to get up to 6/7 hours depending on what I'm going

Joined the thiccpad club. Now I need to do a fresh install of XP on it.

Do you know if UUI works eith XP ISO's?

I chickened out from reapplying the thermal paste on my x200 when I realized I had to take the entire thing apart and take out the motherboard because the heatpipe and the CPU is upside down.

I did clean it out tho, and it's not nearly as hot anymore.
I'm still not sure why the heat seems to be eminating from the bottom right of the laptop.

Maybe it's my wireless card?

It's a new $26 battery! It's 9 cell

that's some shitty battery life for an x220. what power plan are you using, what brightness, what is your battery's "health", etc

Should have got a Mibook air.

Tell me the truth, lads. Which ThinkPads has Lenovo loaded botnet on? Serious question.

26 dollars gets you a genuine battery?

Not an x220 . and x220t

>$26 battery
Pretty sure you fucked up, the genuine ones are supposed to cost a lot more than that, and the cheap third party ones are notorious for not holding a lot of charge
They should get similar power use, the touch screen component isnt that needy

Superfish was only on 2014-2015 consumer models and was never included on any Thinkpad.

>lenovo loaded botnet
All of them
>seriously
None of them, bloatware maybe. All laptops are potentially a botnet if you dont have an expensive libreboot flashed thinkpad

Fug. How much does a legit battery cost.

Anyone know where to get the default IBM shit for XP? IBM doesnt have it anymore it seems and there is no way lenovo does.

Got my hands on a free dell latitude 2100. What lightweight linux distro should i install?

I paid 100 NZD for mine if i remember correctly, or 80, go figure

Have you checked the Lenovo support website?
They have XP drivers for my IBM X41 Tablet and that's as old as anybody should dare to use

/o/ here. Just like to thank you guys in veering me to buy a x220 tablet about 6 months ago. Placing the laptop anywhere and(under car, engine bay)and turning the screen to follow pdfs is really really handy. Makes some peeps are jelly.

>Placing the laptop anywhere and(under car, engine bay)and turning the screen to follow pdfs is really really handy.
I have an X41 Tablet for that exact reason!
Glad to see you liked the meme

Nope. THe only G series shit they have is for their ideapad line.

Well fuck, have you checked the wiki? Might be some cunt hosting a driver repository for it

You mean the system restore discs? Lenovo still sells them

bump

Is a W500 still worth buying in 2016? I've found one for auction with a couple hours left and no one has bid on it, its in mint condition and looks like it runs fine.
These are the specs;

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T9800, 2.93GHz
Memory: 4GB
Hard Drive: 300GB SATA
Graphics: ATI FireGL V5700 512MB

thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/G40.html
Found this after some googling. Seems to be exactly what i need.

Really? that seems weird to me. I guess that ThinkPad support is forever.

Could be possibly, it might be bad ventilation inside the laptop though and the heat is pooling up there due to lack of airflow.

slickdeals.net/f/8968799-38-off-lenovo-thinkpad-x-t-series-675 Did you guys see this?

What can I do with a T23 besides debadge it to put IBM logos on my x220T?

I'll do whatever, it's just sitting in my closet

wallpaper?

You can get those badges on ebay for $2 each m8, dont ruin an old laptop.

Install a lightweight linux distro and use it for shitposting, play old vidya games on it, disassemble it for fun, if it works you could sell it in a couple years as it will be a collectible.

of course you fucked up, tablet version doesn't have 9cell, which means you got chink'd, expect housefire

Should I upgrade my W510 screen to 1080p?

Sure, the higher resolution the better, as long as the upgrade isn't ridiculously expensive.

Hey boii
I found an old thinkpad Z60
What can i do with that ? Can i put libreboot/coreboot on it ?

It's about 80 something euros to buy a new screen, obviously I can replace it myself. However, wouldn't upgrading hurt my gaming performance? I play Dota 2 and it's already running pretty meh on 1600x900.

What's the best screen that I can put in my x230?

If you're planning to run at the same settings you'll lose a few fps but you could drop the settings a bit more if possible, or you could just run the new screen at a lower resolution when in game, it may not scale perfectly but it would stop the fps drop.

1366x768 IPS, but that resolution is still pretty good on a small screen.

Zapping a BIOS lock on a T30.

>overpaying for that bullshit seeeduino trash instead of just using an i2c circuit to read and decrypt the password
nigga

I was thinking of getting a x220, but I really want a 1920x1080 screen(1920x1200 is good as well). What are my options? I could go with a later model.

I hate how the X220 throttles CPU speed when using AC.

Can it hurt to use Throttlestop to prevent throttling?

How does a decent quality T420 refurb perform at high-ish ambient temps? My T60 just gave up the ghost for the third time in 35 C summer weather and I really can't be assed to replace the heatsink and fan assembly again.

Have you been monitoring the temps and power and such when it's throttling. If the temps are in order and it looks to be capable of supplying enough power, I don't see any harm but make sure your temps are acceptable above anything else.

Has anyone upgraded the screen on a t410? It's already got a 1440x900 one in it, I'd just like something better quality if possible.

I was thinking of replacing the cells in my 9-cell battery. New cells cost around $10 each for good high-capacity ones. Assume they get the cells wholesale and that's still significantly more than $26.

Still a perfectly good computer. What's the starting bid?

Would you say a max temperature of around 65 degrees Celsius is acceptabele?

some of these laptops run at that idle, so I'd say you're golden.

Meh.

>mfw T30 is hot as shit. Guess we gotta repaste. Keyboard went to shit.

Okay, cool.

FInally got it upgraded to SP3. Waiting on a new keyboard because I'm missing E, left, and previous.

X240, crack in the casing behind the display. Can this easily be replaced? Where can I buy the casing?

Just bought a 2014 X1 Carbon, planning on installing Linux as soon as it arrives, any other tips/tricks that I should know about
>inb4 keyboard design, I know it's retarded

And why would you pay money for that?

I was primarily looking for a laptop with a good screen and my research suggested X1 Carbons have the best screens of the moderately priced Thinkpads, also I fell for the mechanical keyboard meme so I can just use it to type at home

>computrace enabled
If I let this thing have internet access, what'll happen?

use a heatgun :)

The top right corner of the screen on my 600e gets hot after using it for a few minutes, any idea what could be causing this?

>just ordered a T460

Picked this up today for $200 at a local pawn shop.

It's the shit display.

Then went to my local frys and grabbed the RAM and SSD for $70.

I have a caddy and some thermal paste on its way.

What do I do now?

After using my 4:3 thinkpads and my 16:10 monitor, i cant fucking stand the 16:9 screen of my t420 anymore. rip.

>my T60 originally had the shit-tier 1024x768 panel
>thought my X220 and T420 were just fine
>upgraded the T60 to 1600x1200 IPS
>can't even bear to look at the other two anymore

should've gotten an msata as a bootdrive and a 1tb hdd

E-Series:
E10-30
Edge Series:
Lenovo Edge 15
Flex-Series:
Flex2 14, Flex2 15, Flex2 14D, Flex2 15D, Flex2 Pro, Flex 10
G-Series:
G410, G510, G710, G40-30, G40-45, G40-70, G40-80, G50-30, G50-50, G50-45, G50-70, G50-80, G50-80Touch
Miix-Series:
Miix2 – 8, Miix2 – 10, Miix2 – 11, Miix 3 - 1030
S-Series:
S310, S410, S415, S415 Touch, S435, S20-30, S20-30 Touch, S40-70
U-Series:
U330P, U430P, U330 Touch, U430 Touch, U530 Touch
Y-Series:
Y430P, Y40-70, Y40-80, Y50-70, Y70-70
Yoga-Series:
Yoga2-11, Yoga2-13, Yoga2Pro-13, Yoga3 Pro
Z-Series:
Z40-70, Z40-75, Z50-70, Z50-75, Z70-80

.t support.lenovo.com

Yeah, i wish my x61t had the high res panel, same with my new G40.

I plan on using the 500GB HDD it came with.

This is going mainly be for animu and shitposting.

Is the 1600x900 display worth it in this case?

Dunno. I've never messed with the display on mine since it might affect the battery life.

Am I retarded if I want a T560?

Can someone please tell me where I can buy NEW batteries that aren't just recycled crap?

Every single time I buy a battery online it doesn't hold a charge or runs down in half the time it's supposed to.

Where are you buying them?

e-eBay

Try amazon and sold by lenovo themselves

Hi Sup Forumsents.

Some friend is giving me one of his old thinkpads for free.

Which one should I choose, T42 or T60?

>windows 10
That poor Thinkpad.

t60 lad

Am I missing something with the processors? Seems like the x220 i5s are performing better than the x230's on cpuboss. Doesn't seem right that the older processor would be performing better though.

cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3320M-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2540M

Is there any reason in particular?

display

You can't ever completely disable windows 10 telemetry.
Microsoft is actively pushing towards making this ever harder to do as well - see the recent group policy change for example.
Even if you yourself are not concerned about the data collection, you still expose information about your friends and family via Microsoft's aggressive surveillance methods.
You should not use, support or endorse this operating system.

The spyware has been backported to Windows 7 and 8.1 as well.
You can much more easily remove it though - all it takes is uninstalling the related updates.
You can find out which via a quick google search for 'telemetry updates for windows 7 and 8.1', and then hiding them in Windows Update.
Don't forget to check for these every month or so, as Microsoft can push out new updates anytime that can reinstall the spyware.

HYPE
I have 4x4gb of ram and a PSU to use with it as my dedicated windows server/vm machine.
now I can use my t420 for casual use and as a backup computer in case I break my main machine.

Okay ty

nice IRC

I am *very* upset at the IRC channel. I want to buy a thinkpad x220 and all I see is wikipedia! What the heck?

dude same

>T420s randomly getting a flashing multi colored crash screen

It's dead isn't it? It doesn't occur very often, I think i can hold it until I get a new one

I had one once. RMA'd it and just stuck with my X61t instead. Even though it ran cold enough, the digitizer on mine was an inaccurate shitstain and the pen would randomly quit transmitting so lines would be cut short.
I got some pretty poor battery life with it, too. On a genuine battery still with 95% of its capacity, no less. About 3h. Even my X61t outran it, and I had turbo mode off and everything.

if i just want a CHEAP laptop to just fuck around with and learn the ins and outs of linux should i just go with a t60?
i have a desktop for everything else

im a turbo poorfag please no bully

Yeah, it'll be fine.

>10 years old
>32 bit

get a t400 or a dell e6400, it's slightly newer and takes ddr3

but muh 4:3

50 bucks plus 20 postage, AUD

bump

>x220 trackpad

JUST

The only problem is that the T60, while good for older/lightweight linux distros is that new distros will be more taxing on the hardware and web browsing will become a pain due to the low ram.