What is the best OS,and why is it Linux?

What is the best OS,and why is it Linux?

it's os x

Just switch to BSD already.

Plan 9 for servers, OS X for desktop. Perfection.

Lololololinux!

*best kernel

Because
1. Windows is now complete spyware
2. MacOS is uncostomizable, doesn't have any hardware support at all
3. BSD doesn't work, never did, never will. It's a dead project

I think 2016 is the year of Linux desktop.

The whole things has reached a whole new level that a simple, stupid Windows sheep can now use the system fully without the command line and also the market share has been doubled.

And don't forget the whole thing has been started by Valve. Seriously, now the FOSS devs are taking more seriously the users' will, they make their programs more friendly to use.

Etcher can be an example.

It runs on every machine I put OS on,
Laptop, Homeserver, Router, Desktop and phone. So yeah, considering the universality Linux is superior to most OSes

what is the best shit post and why isn't it you?

>it's good because it works on all platforms
Therefore sex is good because it works on all genders

GNU is the best OS

Hello pingu

Why would linux be the best?

Most normal people who have sex regularly use Windows. Checkmate linuxfags.

>muh year of the linux desktop
Never going to happen

"Linux" is a kernel, not an OS.

Did you mean one of the variants of GNU/Linux, OP? Or perhaps Android?

I use windows and it's been 2 years since the last time I had sex.

Kernel is an OS you fucking retarded winbaby.

Let me see you running linux then. Just linux downloaded directly from kernel.org.

tech iliteracy at it's finest kids!

Because I prefer being an intellectual over a faggot or a man child.

Linux is the propper name for "GNU/Linux" RMS did nothing for the linux project, other than making the GCC.

RMS didn't make GCC for Linux.
the real proper name is simply GNU
no need to even mentionthe name Linux since it's just a kernel, the actual system is GNU running on top of Linux to bring it to life.

>something about asking a question but then answering it
Anyway, Linux is the best because it's free software, and it has obtained a lot of attention and usage (leading to a wide developer base)

It doesn't really _matter_ what people call Linux, as long as credit is
given where credit is due (on both sides). Personally, I'll very much
continue to call it "Linux", but there have already been distributions
that call it "Linux Pro(tm)" etc, which I don't find all that
surprising..

The GNU people tried calling it GNU/Linux, and that's ok. It's
certainly no worse a name than "Linux Pro" or "Red Hat Linux" or
"Slackware Linux" (the last two are often just called "Red Hat" and
"Slackware" when talking among Linux people, so there the "Linux" part
has fallen off altogether).

Lignux is just a punny name - I think Linux/GNU or GNU/Linux is a bit
more "professional" myself, but I'm not going to get gray hairs about
this.

Much worse than the strange name is all the silly newsgroup and email
activity this has resulted in. It's not as if the FSF unilaterally
changed the name of the OS - they just changed the name of their
"distribution" (well, it seems it's currently just GNU emacs for Linux,
but maybe this will be a trend).

Btw, I've often been irritated by the "unknown" in the gcc setups for
Linux, and I'd much rather see a gcc calling itself "i586-gnu-linux"
than "i586-unknown-linux" any day (but I have to admit that either is
preferable to "lignux" in this context ;-).

- Linus Torvalds.

Yeah I praise Torvalds for making a great Kernel that runs on my phone and desktop, I also praise RMS for making the OS I use on my desktop and praise Google for AOSP.

> I also praise RMS for making the OS I use on my desktop
I don't recall him -or more accurately, GNU- making systemd (or whatever you use), xorg / wayland, your desktop environment and a whole lot of other things?

Your C standard libraries and key components might be GNU and a lot of work too, but are the other parts not? Is it so worth very much mentioning them but not xorg or systemd or whatever?

Windows 8.1 currently, Enterprise version.

Objectively better as it can run much more applications than linux or osx or bsd

being able to run applications is one of the most important things OS can do.

also for the stallmanists
its called linux, theres no sound argument why it should have gnu anywhere in the name over xorg or systemd
do you want to call it systemd/linux?
of course not

And there also seems to be some strange idea how GNU works
they dont support or develop, they just offer the GNU word so they feature you on their site. They are not organized and payed and responsible for anything.
YOu agree to put GNU in the name, you agree to call it gnu/linux and never utter the phrase opensource.. or link to propietary software.. and you are suddenly GNU
so any shitty project can be gnu but theres no responsibility or actual value in calling it GNU

people start to see this, thats why they kinda start to rebel against gnu and batshit crazy fanaticsm that comes with FSF
why did nano left GNU? Why are no new big core projects join gnu?

cause gnu is providing no value for the linux community and it will die with unwashed disgusting faggy voice insane fanatic stallman

Linux isn't burdened by spyware or gratuitous forced ui usually. I've experienced a lot of bullshit optimizations in Linux, but that's mainly server side.

Well put

/thread

>SystemD
also im talking about the actual OS, not the kernel, and not the extra stuff, that's like saying a Windows OS with extra software not made by MS isnt Windows anymore

>SystemD
Just systemd.

> also im talking about the actual OS, not the kernel, and not the extra stuff
The "operating system" is basically all the software that allows you to run other software, including kernel, init and your shell (CLI or GUI both).

You probably confuse this with "system software", which however probably would still typically be considered to include the init, but not the kernel, and often not the shell.

>"linux" users actually believe this

/thread
I see no reason why Sup Forums rejects BSD when this is supposed to be a board that loves technology.

a) Yes it is.
b) I think you mean "both" genders.

BSD doesn't work. It belongs to toy VMs

>It belongs to toy VMs
Except that's a lie

Are you even running BSD exclusively or are you just pretending?

For my part I don't reject the fact of it being software technology.

I only reject it for my own use. Linux just better. Has a lot more features and a lot more polished in most regards that matter, because more work was put into it by far.

I've been tinkering with BSD a bit and I like it. It's pretty good.

I run it in my VM as well. BSD is never going to be a to-go OS

>BSD is never going to be a to-go OS
It will in a matter of years. Open Source operating systems like linux is becoming much more popular these days and BSD will follow linuxs.

BSD will only really catch up if the most extreme stagnation sets in on computer software and hardware.

Right now, the difference is just growing bigger because by far not everything is perfect yet and like 200 times more developer hours are put into Linux-based setups than into BSD.

A bunch of that can be ported at far lower cost than it took to originally develop, but most of it still takes a lot of time. BSD probably couldn't even keep up with porting all the stuff that gets produced, much less write it on its own with the people present to do the job.

>gender is only biological and not social or psychological
>hurrr ... feminists/joos forcing definitions down my throat

I need help installing Linux on this toshiba satellite with windows 10. The screen glitches when you try to boot from USB, how else can I achieve this?