How does Sup Forums apply their thermal paste?

How does Sup Forums apply their thermal paste?

Since you change this shit every year I was wondering what is the best and most effective way to apply termal paste and how much do you use?

I'm also asking because i'm building a friend a PC soon and this is literally the hardest part

Other urls found in this thread:

publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/bladectr/documentation/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.bladecenter.hs23.doc/thermal_grease.html
youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

someone post the msi thermal paste webm
those guys knows whats up

so this picture

its wrong right?

Pea sized drop in the middle.

This

>Since you change this shit every year
no you don't
unless you're using cheese, toothpaste, lard or mayonnaise

>not applying it IBM style

publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/bladectr/documentation/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.bladecenter.hs23.doc/thermal_grease.html

heres how

There's basically two schools of practice.

Some people put a pea-sized amount in the center than then spread it manually with a qtip or piece of plastic/cardboard into a thin, even layer. This is what I do.

Some people put a little more in the center and then just stick the heatsink on top and let the pressure spread the grease. I don't like this because it doesn't guarantee even spread.

Pic is WAY too much grease, that will be bad for cooling.

>Haven't changed my Thermal past for like 2+ years
>At least since I upgraded to my EVO 212
>Thermal temps at full load still cool as a cucumber.

a little bit on the side and flatten it as thin as possible with my credit card

>Some people put a pea-sized amount in the center than then spread it manually with a qtip or piece of plastic/cardboard into a thin, even layer. This is what I do.

>introducing air bubbles

What the fuck

Literally the only way you should ever do it is to put a pea sized blob in the middle and then press the heating on to that. Making an x causes air bubbles, spreading it yourself causes air bubbles, making a line causes air bubbles, doing anything other than a pea blob in the middle causes air bubbles

Which will almost always have no perceptible effects on cooling unless you whip it like cream like a retard.

Been applying it this way for 10 years, never had a hot chip.

>making a line causes air bubbles

It doesn't.

I'd say half a pea. like the with of a pea.
Just done it with arcticsilver.

A uniform spread is best attained through a spherical application.

>This was done to my Toshiba "Gaming" Laptop I bought back in like 06/08

>Had head spreader sponges across the chips of I could only assume the GPU
>And then thermal paste just shmeared all over beneath them
>Was causing my GPU to sink heat into everything BESIDES it's cooling pipes and out the exhaust.
>Eventually caused thermal failure of my GPU

>Sent it in for repair

>It came back with the same thermal grease application

I was never so mad in my fucking life.

this one seems better cooling thoughspread around, my cpu thermal paste shown X like op posted

spread method 4 life nigga
always had pefect temps with it for years
so i'm inclined to say air bubbles are a myth and spread method is not that important. just don't do too much. you don't that shit getting squeezed out on the sides.

Doesn't matter as long as you don't put too much or too little.

youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ

Build it to fail. Build it to fail.

And yes, it's done via these methods because. lol woops. Cant just build a fuse into a cpu them put a surge timer, That'll look bad for business goym. .

I fucking raged out, disassembled the entire thing. Took ALL of the thermal heat transfer components off it, cleaned everything.

Took the sponges off those chips, GPU never overheats.

Found a lot of those fucking things on other misc components, my fucking CPU had past leaking off the sides of the die.

Cleaned it all up, still have that fucking laptop, and it's working. Fucking thing runs cool as fuck now.

Looks like a monkey would do a better job of applying thermal paste

Like that, only good.

This isn't actually used as a demonstration is it? MY god that made me laugh.

Speaking of thermal paste, I built a rig about 5 years ago and I slapped an antec watercooling unit on my processor. it still runs cool as fuck. I'm wondering what they used because it seems to last forever

am i doing it wrong?

There are only two things that really matter.
1 thickness of thermal paste (the less the better)
2 covered area, wanna make sure to cover entire area.

The thing is the paste conducts heat A LOT worse than metal does, but two solid surfaces don't make a perfect contact due to their micro imperfections
And i believe that the best way is to flatten the paste with credit card as thin as it gets leaving a very thin layer of it on the CPU.

Trust me, a am an anime engineer.

this

I use x as shown in pic. My cpu is really big tho, some single grain method would leave it uncovered.

That video always seems to get me.

What the fuck

You should fill that rectangular area too - thats where most of the heat is.

gonna need a link to the video to laugh even more.

Oh pls no

>change that shit every year
i do every 2 years or so.
>how does /gay/ apply their paste
pea method, mane

Enjoy your air bubbles idiot

Lines don't cause air bubbles idiot. It's a one directional spread same as pea in middle... x is multi directional meaning two spreads move toward each other thus causing air

>And i believe that the best way is to flatten the paste with credit card as thin as it gets leaving a very thin layer of it on the CPU.
Let me stop you right there friend, spreading the paste will create micro air bubbles in the paste itself.

This. My server instructs you to place dots around the IHS. though, like the 5 side of a die.

i draw a swastika

Idiot

X spreads from inside to outside, so it doesn't cause air bubbles unless you draw a nice circle around it.

>source: my ass

why do we have this thread like every day? how is this even a discussion point?

Small pea in the middle. Being clumsy is more than enough to spread the paste around.

I went full autism here, didn't I?

Literally has never affected my life in any way.

I and thousands of other people have been using the same method for our whole lives and I don't think I've ever seen anyone have any problems.

It might not be the absolute best way but you guys doom-and-glooming it like it's going to make your chip fail or is somehow retarded are being hyperbolic as fuck.