Your thoughts on the new start menu?

Your thoughts on the new start menu?

Get better used to it because it will be yours on August 2nd.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/24717/windows-8-1-windows-server-2012-r2-update-history
classicshell.net/
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I realized I'm actually not using the start menu for anything apart from shutting the PC down.

Got shortcuts to just about anything I might need, so it doesn't even bother me.

It looks the same.

Not seeing anything different on mine.

I like it.

I have my most used apps pinned on task bar, secondary ones tiled on start menu and the scroll list is perfect for those few times a year I need to go down to something really obscure.

Great job MS, I say.

Mine doesn't look like that at all.

It will do after the update, since it will no longer be possible to stop Microsoft adding advertising tiles to it at random on anything except Enterprise.

I picked the wrong picture it was from the beta, my bad.

>all the icons are white so you can't tell what an item is without actually moving your eye over it
Fucking hell. How retarded do you have to be.

It's a VM, calm down.

I've been using 8 for 3 years now and have not missed the start menu at all.

Also have used the "Desktop" thing on the taskbar since 2005 (Win XP). it's pretty rad imo

Hyi vittu

Why even censoring

Mind sharing the wallpaper?

You can't have bad thoughts about it because you're cucked with it for at least one more year.

Just tried Linux Mint for the first time.

Why have I waited so long to ditch Windows? More people need to know about this god-tier operating system.

So to answer your question, it won't be mine on August 2 because I'm done with Windows.

>ABP
>hasn't disabled Pocket and Hello (Loop)

what the hell are you doing?

Because MS hadn't gone full retard yet.

>using an OS that copies Windows

I promise you. The next version of Linux Mint will have tiles.

switch abp with ublock origin, and remove hello. enable all the filters in ublock origin's 3rd party tab.

thank me later

Yup, windows 8 taught me that

>he addapts according to pajeet os instead of making the os work the way he wants
cuck

>The next version of Linux Mint will have tiles.
I liked windows 8 tiles so i don't mind.

>Pocket and Hello (Loop)
What are these?

This

Right, thanks. Disabled them.

there will always be another distro.

I have hardly used my desktop at all lately. Just my t420 with xubuntu

>not feeling super comfy knowing that if u decide to kill youself 1 of these nights, pajeet looking through your webcam will notify authorities before your body rots and decays

You can't ever completely disable windows 10 telemetry.
Even if you try to filter it off at the router level, you're still fucked if you use more than your home connection.
Microsoft is actively pushing towards making this ever harder to do as well - see the recent group policy change for example. They _will_ break whatever workaround you use.
Even if you yourself are not concerned about the data collection, you still expose information about your friends and family via Microsoft's aggressive surveillance methods.
You should not use, support or endorse this operating system.

The spyware has been backported to Windows 7 and 8.1 as well.
You can much more easily remove it though - all it takes is uninstalling the related updates.
You can find out which via a quick google search for 'telemetry updates for windows 7 and 8.1', and then hiding them in Windows Update.
Don't forget to check for these every month or so, as Microsoft can push out new updates anytime that can reinstall the spyware.

>censoring the names when we can clearly see the fucking icons

So how do we pirate the lbgt or whatever the fuck its called version of windows 10 which doesnt have all the bullshit with it?

LTSB version here. Enjoy updates, plebs.

support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/24717/windows-8-1-windows-server-2012-r2-update-history
> Windows 10 Anniversary Update-based long-term servicing branch (LTSB)
> Windows 10 Anniversary Update-based LTSB

How do you disable them?

right click, remove from toolbar
Apparently this disables them

This is how it's supposed to look.

fugg

I believe he is hiding the names of the files not the actual program name.

Looks like something straight from KDE.

classicshell.net/ and problem solved

Thanks.

Still shit, still don't care. I only use Windows for vidya anyways at this point.

KDE looks nice though.

That it does. Shame about usability and stability

True and i don't blame you but consider that if you support those developers who takes a multi-platform approach you'll help to be able to choose your OS freely in the future.

Until they throw everything out in another year or two and rebuild it from the ground up with whatever new meme design paradigm is popular at the moment.

I give you the part of stability based on my own experience, plasma 5 still needs a lot of polish, specially kwin. Regarding the part of usability KDE is my favorite DE by a large margin so i just cannot agree with you in that matter.

Now that you guys mention it, I never use the start menu, or desktop shortcuts. I normally press the Windows key and start typing what I want to open, and windows surprisingly delivers

You can't ever completely disable windows 10 telemetry.
Even if you try to filter it off at the router level, you're still fucked if you use more than your home connection.
Microsoft is actively pushing towards making this ever harder to do as well - see the recent group policy change for example. They _will_ break whatever workaround you use.
Even if you yourself are not concerned about the data collection, you still expose information about your friends and family via Microsoft's aggressive surveillance methods.
You should not use, support or endorse this operating system.

The spyware has been backported to Windows 7 and 8.1 as well.
You can much more easily remove it though - all it takes is uninstalling the related updates.
You can find out which via a quick google search for 'telemetry updates for windows 7 and 8.1', and then hiding them in Windows Update.
Don't forget to check for these every month or so, as Microsoft can push out new updates anytime that can reinstall the spyware.

Probably but unlike you i don't have a crystal ball so i cannot argue about predictions. The fact is that the KDE guys are doing a great work and i think is not fair to spread FUD like this about that project.

Mine doe snot look like that and glad

i dont get it

LTSB edition also gets Anniversary Update with all its new limitations, probably some metro apps and that blue bitch as well :^) enjoy

>winblows 10
>qnittorrent
why even try?

Mine didn't get the 'limitations' that are supposed to be in the anniversary update. Both my desktop and my laptop are running LTSB and I didn't get any bullshit.

>2016
>käyttöjärjestelmä suomenkielisenä

oletko kehitysvammainen?

Navigating with the mouse is a meme. Anytime I want to use a program that's not on my taskbar, I just hit windows key and start typing.

the changes are only to pro and home you mongloid

Haista sinä mursu paska

sanoo se joka käyttää käyttistänsä suomeksi, hyi helvetti

mikset käytä englanniksi?

Koska olen SUOMALAINEN

it's a step up I like it

I love how it displays ads for you by default as well
truly a step in the right direction

you mean suggestions? you can turn them off just like in original w10
if you don't like the OS don't use it or you might get a heart attack arguing with strangers and their tastes on anonymous image board

Not , but here's your screenshot

>by default
millions of normies won't be able to disable it and will have to
suffer
from this terrible feature

I'm okay with that/

not my problem

If they don't know how to use the settings app it's not really my problem, it's gonna be funny watching those normies rage

why don't you have empathy for your fellow human beings?

>millions of normies won't be able to disable it and will have to suffer
isn't that good?

>normies
>real human beans
m8...

If they can't use the fucking settings, of all things, there is no hope.
I mean, seriously?

>Don't use it
>OS literally forced itself on many users
kek. Microsoft will continue to use their jewish tricks until there is no choice in the matter. It's only a matter of time until the general populace thinks of advertising in a product they paid for as "normal" and they proceed to remove the option, bundling the change with some important security patches.

none of us are perfect
we should be striving to better the lives of all people

Well then, when total lockdown is a thing, i'll exit insider and switch to 7

>Switching to a decade+ outdated OS that's lost security patches
Enjoy your internet AIDS. GNU/Linux is your only way out.

>w10
>autismcraft
>skype
>whatsapp

kys senpai

Filtered. Also, telemetry is documented here:
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization
Wow it's fucking nothing.

>> outdated OS that's lost security patches
7 is still in (either standard or extended, i forgot) support. Security patches are still rolling.

I was a fan of oblytile back when i used windows 8.1. It was a nice launcher and fairly easy to use. It's very complicated to edit tiles in windows 10 and it's rather annoying cause you have to use two programs to create a tile (one to create the link and one to customize it)

It's in extended until January 14, 2020. Windows 8.1 is in extended until sometime in 2023. Plenty of time to transition to fully mobile/tablet, macOS, Linux or BSD. Besides do you really see yourself playing any vidya after that time?

That doesn't disable it completely

>Forced updates to Win 10
>Inherently insecure design
>No official repositories
>Viruses

The NSA published a document on how to secure one's computer. Step one is installing Linux. Especially sensitive Gov systems have to use Linux. Microsoft has been full retard for awhile.

Maybe, but currently i need windows for shady obscure executables that don't run in wine.

Yes this is sometimes very annoying.

Nice customized start menu btw!

My Windows experience(s) since 2012 in two words.

Windows 7 search was much better than 10. Would type part of a file name and see 8+ similar results. With win 10 it will list 1 or 2 things if your lucky - otherwise will just do an internet search.

Dowwwwngrade

Moving from 7 to 8, windows search provided excellent shortcuts to my things. Moving from 8 to 10..wtf happened? The prime directive for windows search noticably became "direct traffic" and "mine data" instead of "efficiency and productivity.

>Still two control panels
Can they make it one already fuc

Having just switched to Windows 10 and tested this myself, the issue here (and to an extent the search on Win 8, but I used classic shell to bypass it) seems to be that the search now goes to 'best single local match' followed by 'bunch of things you could search with Bing if you wanted to, hey by the way Bing exists and you should totally use it'. The old system would just chuck up a bunch of similar matches, which was generally much more useful.
With Windows 10 at least you can click over to do a more detailed search that turns the start menu into a larger window, but it's more clicks than it needs to be.

Oh yea. And now it takes 50 seconds to boot from my ssd. Windows 8 did it in 6 seconds. The only reason I didn't downgraded is because i have already invested A LOT of time installing all my cad/3d programs and resolving compatibility issues with windows 10. FML

The concept of forced updates is not bad. It's perfect for normies and tech idiots. Sort of like herd immunity. However microsoft's implementation of it is fucking retarded. Updates should only happen when the computer is idle with no programs running and either late at night when people are sleeping or during the day when people are out working. No updates on weekends because of the inherent randomness in people's schedules. Two problems can arise when updating during those times though. Updating during the day is a no-no for enterprise and computers used for work, Microsoft needs to notify admins and users what the intended use of the computer is so as to prevent disruption of daily functions. And two when at night people: usually night shift workers, students and serious professional workers may have important work disrupted by updating. These situations can be stopped mostly by being considerate of the version of Windows being run (student shouldn't update at night for fear of potential study problems, enterprise should have full control over updates, and pro should be able to have at least some of the controls provided by enterprise.) Home however is on its own and should not enjoy such luxuries since the customer did not dish out more money. And most normies will get this version.

You can still run those .exes on a separate Windows machine/partition. Seriously I don't know why anyone would do such shit on their daily computer.

Thanks. It has seen better days but I had to switch programs after the november update. Thanks Microsoft!

kill yourself please