Linux

why is the OS that uses the Linux kernel so often called Linux, when Linux is only the kernel and not the OS?

Because "Linux" sounds cool

i see

Linux sounds cool, and is the most relevant part of the OS

I'd like to interject etc. etc.

why is it the most relevant part?

cause no one gives a shit about the rest, they don't sound cool

Because that's what all distros 100% share in common

oh

tfw Sup Forums encounters lagspike and i dont see your post

That's not even true though

tfw only 2 off from quads

what else you're gonna call it? Not GNU because it's even less relevant part

tru

Alright enlighten me. My logic is that they have a version of the kernel (maybe with slight modifications) and core utils, but come with other tools and environments

To instantiate flamewars.

>flamewars
i have never such blatant truth in the history of Sup Forums

Besides different versions of the kernel, distros even might come with their own patches on top of different configurations.

>blatant
They don’t call me “Captain Obvious” for nothing.

OP here, tfw computer randomly shuts down and you almost lose the thread

that's why I call it by the OS's actual name, GNU

OP here, tfw computer crashes and you almost lose the thread

OP here, tfw faggot

What would you call Alpine Linux then? Or Stali?

you would actually call those Linux since it uses no GNU whatsoever, but Alpine and Stali are unusable flaming piles of shit anyway.

my comp crashed 2 times stfu

Sorry, but I use GNU/Linux/systemd/GNOME/PulseAudio/X11/Firefox/Minecraft.

Linux is the name of the kernel, yes

Firstly because there's not really a name for the entire GNU/Linux/Systemd/... phenomenon, just for the distros. And those either have just their own name (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora) or call it something with Linux (Archlinux, Linux Mint). There are a few that refer to GNU/Linux but those are a minority as well as the less popular ones and even there it isn't that obvious (there is Trisquel GNU/Linux and Parabola GNU/Linux for example but even those are mostly just called Trisquel and Parabola, even by their own devs).

To just add to it, GNU is important because it provides a lot, but not a single really impressive thing. (that's not to say that the GNU project as a whole is unimpressive though) Linux however, is this big important application that you end up building your system around.

Last but not least: calling it GNU/Linux is confusing to normies and makes you sound kinda goofy.

I have a question too. Why did GNU never make their own kernel? I mean it started before Linux was popular, right? Possibly related question: What exactly was OSF/1?

Because god emperor Linus said so.

"Linux distribution" was a bit of a shorthand for an OS distribution with a (usually) mostly-GNU userland and a Linux kernel.

They did, or rather, are. It's called the Hurd. It runs on the Mach microkernel.

It has not been a rip-roaring success, to put it kindly.

Because when I mention it to normies they only just understand what linux is never mind what the random off shoot I use is and I don't want to explain either.

They never finished it, it was too complex and they just don't have enough people working on it.

Because it's the relevant part. And nobody will ever call it gnu.

I swear you autistic fucks make me want to ditch Linux and install Windows simply to have less associations with you douchebags

I'm using GNU/Linux/Arch/Pacman/*Insert list of all my installed packages*

>this thread is still going on

>What's a Linux distro?

Because a Kernel is essentially an operating system; it manages memory and hardware components with with process and thread task scheduling.

Essentially Linux distributions are just software layered on the Linux Kernel and the software shouldn't be defined as an operating system as it has nothing to do with hardware management. You wouldn't call your OS GNOME just because of it's GUI.

No, Alpine is BusyBox / Linux whereas something like Ubuntu is GNU / Linux.

The GNU kernel is called HURD, and I think it's been in development hell (though minimally usable now) for like a decade. The Linux kernel simply became available first and fit the needs of the GNU project, so the HURD became less of a priority.

GUI is just a particular interface to the user, you still need the FUNCTIONALITY of userland applications to do anything useful with your computer.

Because it's the common thread between any two distros. A Linux distro may have any number of different components, but the thing it will have in common is the Linux kernel.

Pre-Script: I like linux, but following is generally true.

Linux distributions are basically just kernel + software that make it act like an OS. To call something an OS you need a base development like BSD. Linux distributions are usually a group of independent projects bundled together that can act like an OS in general understanding.

Post-Script: I neither favor BSD, but it is mostly true that BSDs are more OS than Linux distros.