Does anyone else not use cable or satellite?

I cut myself off from cable tv. I'm going to just stream with Roku, YouTube, and downloads. Am I missing anything?

The law

Had a Roku. Defiantly not as high as it claims to be.
If you want something that will just work then buy a Chromebox with a wireless keyboard and mouse

>Defiantly not as high as it claims to be.
What do you mean? Not as good? Or not high definition?

It does the job of outputting the media you chose (HD or not) but it's like a bogged version of navigating the Xbox dashboard. Just not that fluid. It'll get the job done but for just a little more you could just stream it through chrome OS and have a browsing machine as well

Do people mean to use defiantly in this context or are they trying to spell definite with an a?

Autocorrect is a little forceful at times

I haven't had cable since I left my parent's place in 2009. Can't say I miss it. Everything I want to watch is available through Netflix, Crunchyroll, or torrents.

I use an Apple TV gen 4 (powerful little box, it's basically a headless iPhone 6S with a massive heatsink) paired with Plex and it works beautifully. The ATV's UI is always silky smooth and it mostly just werks. With the newest update voice searching and password entry works really well too.

I could also get by with just my PS4 if I wanted to, though. The UI on the PS4 isn't as nice but it does most of the same stuff and isn't woefully underpowered like most media player boxes are.

I haven't had cable in 4-5 years at this point, I pay for 150/150mbps internet which is more than enough for my torrenting preferences. I use private trackers since I have enough upload speed where seeding isn't an issue.

Currently sitting on about 7.5TB of media from the past few years of downloading.

>I haven't had cable since I left my parent's place in 2009. Can't say I miss it. Everything I want to watch is available through Netflix, Crunchyroll, or torrents.
pretty much this. i ended up paying for a seedbox to torrent shit without getting in trouble on campus at my university (i'm here for the long haul (phd program), so getting in trouble with resnet is a bad idea).

My TV has BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc. all built in and if I want to play something downloaded I just right-click and cast to the TV. Why bother with a Roku when the TV does it all?

I haven't had cable for 3-4 years now I think. Netflix, plex, and youtube get the job done for me. I tried the open source alternative (Emby?) for plex, and honestly it doesn't seem to work well anywhere for me.

If you have a good server you can use a cheap chrome cast to play videos from plex, netflix, or YouTube using your phone. Though I think you might need to pay to use the plex app, but I have no remorse. Roku works well too, but chromecast is cheaper and can control volume.

I have a new appleTV second hand as well. It's a nice little airplay station, but the apps are ok. I'd only recommend it with a clear conscience if you're heavily invested in the apple ecosystem.

I would caution against chromecast recommendations because chromecasting involves putting video through a shitty transcoder that's optimized for speed instead of quality.

If you can, go for something that can play your video while being directly hooked to your TV but if that's not possible at least use something like Kodi or Plex that can transcode without visible quality loss.

My TV doesn't do it all. Also I try streaming TV news from YouTube and it sucks bad. The uploaders usually stream in SD. I'm looking for ideas.

Pi+Kodi masterrace here

and in other the room just hook up my pc to my tv with a hdmi

i dont need anything else

>streaming TV news from YouTube
Didn't know this was possible.

If you want to stream instead of play downloaded content, you probably want Kodi on one of those Android boxes.

never had any problems with youtube streaming. i often watch sky news live youtube channel which is streaming in HD (might only be 720p not checked) and that is fine.

the only thing my tv doesnt have is twitch but i dont watch it anyway and my ps4 has it if i ever want it,

Install channel pear channel on it. I use it to stream toonami and 24/7 anime and venture bros on it.

I have a Roku stick and it's definitely passable as a way to stream, but I'm sure an Xbox or a PlayStation do a better job at it. I'm sure some Blu ray players do too. Having a remote instead of a gamepad is definitely nice. I do like the streaming experience on a Wii u though, cause the touchpad let's you have decent control of the playback.

I have cable tv but only because i live with my grandmother and she pays for it, I never watch it, It's awful, It's literally nothing but commercials.

Fire stick with Kodi on it and your Gucci.

>I do like the streaming experience on a Wii u though, cause the touchpad let's you have decent control of the playback.
Yes, anything with a touchpad will give a noticeably better playback/seeking experience. Should be standard on every remote, really. Rewind/fastforward buttons only stopped being adequate when VCRs died

The interface on roku is shit. There is no search button and you have to move to it, and then type one letter at a time from a huge grid.

Just get a Chromecast they are soooo much easier to use, and you don't need to worry about a fucking remote.

not op but chromecast is shit. my android tablet couldn't keep a stable stream on my android TV even when both were sitting next to the router, and the image quality was ass to boot

the tablet was even a fucking google pixel and the TV is a Sony, which uses near-stock android

Cable tv is dying.

Slingtv is shit on chromecast but perfect on roku 2.

Netflix will keep streaming even if you turn the tablet off.

you're missing most of the live channel stuff, or at least it's less convenient. but mainly it just shifts more data to your internet connection.

There are literally zero instances where a Roku app is as good as an Android one.

that must be separate then. I was chromecasting my screen from apps that didn't have their own chromecast support

Roku has live news.

Only boomers actually like cable. Millennials don't actively seek out to buy it, and only really get it if it's shoved down with a bundle.

Nope havent had cable in about 2 years. got all my stuff now on my server using plex/sonarr. It works great.

Also I returned my Pixel C because the wireless on it is dogshit. Like not even fast enough to stream low resolution stuff.

But what about those chink little boxes that not only plays local media, runs android but also can somehow connect to loads on online streamers that displays shitloads of local cables? I've even seen one that advertises the ability to show like up to thousands of channels

No reason to have cable...

First off you shouldn't have that much time for tv. Me myself I have the following: job, wife, children and hobbies. Plus a bit every day for some basic excersize. So how the Fuck can you have time for more than an hour or 2 of tv a day? You either don't have time or you're not using it in any worthwhile way.

2. Netflix and hulu combined is less than 30 bucks a month. Way cheaper than cable and with both you have more selection anyway. Cable is redundant. Never tried roku or any other shit because I do not have time for what I've already got.

3.other media. Music, video games, books, the internet and of course...shitposting on the chans. There is a lot of other shit to waste media consumption time on some of which is more interactive anyway. Where the he'll does more than 2 hours of tv for into that?

Just get rid of the fucking cable...it's not the early 90s anymore.

I have a Roku and I use it regularly because my landlord is a decrepit 9001-year-old man who cannot fix my TV aerial and doesn't want to lend me a ladder.

My experience with Roku is that they are incredibly badly made. The remote control barely works at all, to the point where I've just downloaded the app onto my tablet and I use that instead. You can really, really tell that Rokus are built in Bangladesh by infant slaves.

Also, most of the channels are terrible and you will never watch them. They do have Crunchyroll, and most TV catch-up services, Netflix for extra money if you're a faggot, but one of my most-watched channels is literally just every single episode of The Joy of Painting With Bob Ross, which can't be a good indicator of the stuff that's available.

>Am I missing anything?
Insane cable bills.

>So how the Fuck can you have time for more than an hour or 2 of tv a day?
Says the guy online all day.

Netflix hassome good anime and i love the food and travel shows on it.

It's also got TNG, DS9, and Voyager. The first is even the HD remaster

Finished up TNG about a month ago, currently watching DS9

Since moving off to college, I've been entertaining myself solely with Netflix, Hulu+ and YouTube (off my PS3). That's $16, and I get far more content than I'd use on cable, which can run upwards of $60 or more. Plus, little-to-no commercials.

The only, only, only thing I've missed about cable is the occasional sports game (I'm not a huge sports guy, but when there's a football or baseball game I'm interested in, having to find a place to stream it on my computer is kind of lame) or the news (especially in this political cycle.). But, other than that, it's been great.

Isnt cable tv free in dorms?

Probably - I should have specified, I'm living in an apartment off campus.

I love the fact i live in a college city. Got 3 colleges in it. 1 is a Big Ten school.

Yeah, I live in Athens, GA. Famous, obviously, for the University of Georgia, but we also have the University of North Georgia, and Athens Technical College.

Pluto tv

I cut the cord a decade ago, OP.

I used an HTPC at the time and just pirated everything my heart desired.
Later on, I used Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime video until I got bored of their slim pickings
Eventually, you start to get so disconnected from mainstream media that you don't even give a fuck anymore. You realize it's almost all vapid nonsense, and drop out of it completely.

One day you realize people around you are talking about shows you've never heard of, actors you've never seen, commercials for products you didn't even know exist, and at that moment you realize just how much of your waking life you wasted on the electric jew, how much of your brain is congested with garbage you'll never manage to evict from it. All of the catchy jingles still echo in mine.

> Follow your nose, wherever it goes!
> Head on, apply directly to forehead!
> Rice a roni, the San Francisco treat!
> Silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids!
> Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there!

You realize you'll never get that wasted space in your brain back, and you'll never want TV back again.

Yeah you are missing a raspi3 running kodi and free tv and films forever.

lol

Just watch anime. But work out too. Anime plus weightlifting is the best.

I got one of those for $35. It came loaded with Kodi. Install a launcher to pretty it up, turn the tv into a basic tablet. Has the play store so all the apps you'd find there work: netflix, youtube, etc. I play some emulators on it. It hasn't failed me so far in the two months I've had it. I'd recommend it over the roku my sister has, after trying out her roku I couldn't get over how bland it was for some $70.

I haven't owned a TV set in 10+ years, and even if I had one, I'd just use a good old HDMI cable to connect it to my laptop instead of unnecessary gadgets like Roku or Chromecast or whatnot.

Feels good not to pay for anything but electricity.

assumptions and projections...the post!

Amazon TV is better.

Much better remote at least.

Did you flash it so the chinks don't steal your netflix pass? There was some guy that posted on biz that says his keeps getting stolen.

Every review says the roku is better than amzn tv.

Consider this you will need to input password and all kinds of shit most all for the name of your show, and don't rely on voice control for it all especially you're anime.

The Roku remote not only requires pointing the laser at your device but also has terrible mushy buttons for letter selection. Amazon remote still has voice contorl, and on top has non mushy/lag connection with Bluetooth, no point required.

You dont pay for internet?

It is

Too bad the fire OS is a fucking abomination

The roku has channel pear so i love it.

So is roku OS

Roku is very simple. I think they said it was geared to boomers who sucked at using modern UI. Fire os is too complicated.

If you watch sports it can get a little tricky. I have an antenna so I can catch most of the local handegg games. My folks still have cable, so I borrow their account credentials to watch stuff on ESPN.

Cordcutting made me give zero shits anout sports. It feels do liberating. Jow stupid i was to wadte time watch men play with a ball.

it has voice search

stuff like acestream is good, but I don't know how to stream it to a tv

at least here in Canuckistan, you can get hockey over antenna in 720p60fps

>One day you realize people around you are talking about shows you've never heard of, actors you've never seen, commercials for products you didn't even know exist, and at that moment you realize just how much of your waking life you wasted on the electric jew, how much of your brain is congested with garbage you'll never manage to evict from it. All of the catchy jingles still echo in mine.

epic

Just when I think it's time to finally leave Sup Forums for good & alls, a post that is actually worth reading appears from nowhere.

Shine on, you crazy insightful diamond.

>Am I missing anything?

Not as long as you torrent properly like god intended.

got an android box for my tv. with it, i can use the netflix, hulu, slingtv, hbo, kodi, and popcorntime apps. literally everything you could want all right there.

While trying not to sound like a shill

Apple TV works really well for Netflix and Hulu

My new insignia tv with the roku build in is pretty fuckin snappy. How old was your roku?

Truth.

I've lived about 2ish years with out cable. a dongle and a hdtv antenna is my setup however, there's no easy way to watch files off my laptop any suggestions?

I don't even have a TV but I have to pay the tax for the governmental broadcasting (dis)service.
Finland 5/5

Haven't had cable or sat for over 15 years.

Get an HDMI WIDI dongle which allows you to transmit your screen wirelessly to a TV via your laptops wifi.

Widi is supported natively by Windows 10

The laptop hardware also needs to support it.

No

I have a TV in my living room that I only connect to my laptop to stream stuff and emulate old games