/CCT/ Career and Cert Thread

What are you working towards? Need advice? Share your study resources!

Post it in here

If you've got a tech career:

>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
>How did you find/get job
>Pay
>Location

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/9bmteb9f67uet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

system admin
3 years
a+, network+
asked a friend if they were hiring at his datacenter
started out at like 27k, now 40k a year
somewhere in new york

is Network+ a good entry level cert to get?

Just got my A+

looking for a job, entry level

Every place wants 3-5 years of desktop support

i've applied to over 100 jobs, still nothing.

>Currently work at a grocery store, want to get into IT (specifically linux, and cloud technologies)
>0
>none
>Applied
>$10.30hr (minus union dues) 12k at best
>1 hour outside of Los Angeles

I'm looking to get into an entry level position. My general game plan from 10,000 feet looks like this:

LPIC Linux Essentials(not even sure I'll put this on a resume)->Make a project/learn basics of LAMP/LEMP stack (I want to use

python instead of php)->All 3 AWS associate certs->RHCSA->Ansible/AWS lambda->AWS professional certs

The project I'm looking at is basically a wordpress hosting server, maybe a blog. I think I'll use something like digital ocean to
start and then put it on AWS using EC2 etc, to integrate it for those certs. The reason for Python over php is it looks like you can
do more with it and from my understanding it can/does interface with Ansible and AWS lambda I do want to see if I can come up
with something that gets users so it's a bit more dynamic and can really work with a database/SQL.

I've learned some of the Linux CLI (currently running a Centos 7 desktop) and dipped my toes in AWS before. I definitely have the
resources to learn these technologies. Before all of this though I'm pretty sure I need to learn networking I'm not sure how to go
about that, do you guys know any good online video tutorials, books etc for that? Do I have to go really deep with networking to get
my foot in the door or can I just learn enough?

What do you guys think? I think somewhere along that path (before the end) I'll be able to apply for an entry level job, then with
experience and time I'll work my way to mid level. By the end of that path I'll have a better grasp of the industry to decide
what to learn next and where to go with my career.

Don't give up user. Just don't bullshit too much in your CV and keep sending them.

>Network technician in the military
>less than a year experience. still in training
>E2 pay (probably 18k a year, comes with housing, and food so I'm not complaining)

My job requires me to have a Sec+ cert for some reason, so I'm working towards that. I studied a lot of material from net+ in my classes but I never actually took the exam. If the Air Force pays for it, I'm gonna get ccna, ccnp, and ethical hacker. After two years of service as a technician I can switch to cyber warfare which sounds fucking awesome.

Find an entry level job as L1 tech. Learn as much as you can and move up. Hosting companies are always hiring but be careful as you can burn out pretty fast there.

Trying to get a help desk/troubleshooters job for local school district (or something similar) I have a degree, but not in IT (3D animation). I've been running a little freelance business for a year now too.

I've been on computers since like my first memories and aced different computer courses in highschool. But I never got a nifty slip of paper for it.

How much bullshitting do I have to do to get this job or one like it?

>If the Air Force pays for it, I'm gonna get ccna, ccnp, and ethical hacker.

I'm an Ausfag and we get those certs for free. Well not the test just training.

Thanks for the tip man, when would you say is appropriate for me to apply for that job?
If I can ask what's your situation look like, you also a sysadmin?

Is this good?

mediafire.com/folder/9bmteb9f67uet

>Job Title
Senior Systems Administrator
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
A+
Originally a freelance consult with expertise in GNU/Linux, and a client referred me to the datacenter that I now work at.
>Pay
$65/hour
Time and a half for after hours emergency work
>Location
Washington State

Fairly open to questions.

don't forget you can use that shit as credits for CCAF

How did you get into freelancing, did you set up your own consultancy or did you use freelance websites?
My post is:
What do you think of my goals? I'm also looking at Washington as one of the places I want to live in the future,
how do you like it?

If you know the basics:
>log locations, how to filter / grep correctly, use CSF , VDI , DNS, ever did a server acc migration and synchronization etc
you will do great. If not check CompTIA N+ and relax , hosting as a L1-3 is a mess but a really fun mess.

lucky bastard

you prior service? prior cyber?

I don't know if you guys have it but our MarineNet has civilian certs and one of them is the Network+ it gives you the cert but you have to fight a shit hosting service to get it to work. Whatever you use to do your annual don't rape people classes should have it.

Appreciate it, honestly I get really excited about this stuff it's exhilarating

Resources:
Udemy, shitload of books, Linux Academy, Stackskills, and google.

how do you guys search for new jobs when you wanna switch ?

>Job Title
cybersecurity auditor
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
CompSci, Net+,Sec+,MCSA, CISSP
Saw listing; applied
>Pay
$150k annually
>Location
Northern VA

Do you work in a gov. or private sector position? How's the job does it require long hours, do you go from company to company pentesting their networks?

>Software QA Engineer
>5 yrs
>GED, A+, Security+
>Started as support for Exchange migrations, took an opening in Dev QA for Exchange migration product
>92k/year with semi-annual profit sharing bonuses
>WFH
It's pretty fucking chill. Get to WFH, maintain a lab, write automation scripts, work with devs and test shit.

CNC Programming cert. for Mills and Lathes.

It's a fucking blast. I love my job.
It's

>Do you work in a gov. or private sector position? gov
>How's the job does it require long hours, do you boring, long hours but short day really. usually work 6 hours but 2 to 3 hours commuting,
>go from company to company pentesting their networks?
people send in scans, config files and respond to a lengthy questionaire while providing pics, screenshots, signed policy letters, etc.

well, i fucked up that formatting

Goddamn, I'm actually interested in security work, but goddamn that is an insane commute don't know if I could personally tolerate that lol.

IDK if you have an nda pertaining to it but what's getting security clearance like? (I'm just assuming you have one due to your type of job)

If it's just you, you could live closer but I have a family so I have to live further out from the city

main thing is to have decent credit and be prepared to answer the same questions over and over

>Software Engineer at red hat (potentially leaving to work at epic games soon)
>dual degree in cs and ce and a masters in cs with a emphasis on game design from ncsu
>had internship here than applied after it ended
>100k
>I enjoy it (would rather work for epic though)

>red hat
>cancer
kys

>Security "Architect"
>11
>Master's in CompSci
>Connections
>$237k
>West Virginia

4/10 happiness

>Don't have one, recent graduate
>0
>Network administration applied degree, A+, LPIC-1, CCENT. CCNA R&S, CCNP Routing (Just routing, I never took the switching or tshoot test)
>NA
>Alberta

I only started to apply now after fucking around for 3 months. I hope the job search doesn't take too long

>working security at a dc
>2 security/2 electrical
>went to a tech school for electrical
>friend suggested
>12/hr
>MA

I really want to get into data center work. Things like cabling or just being a tech that switches out ram and hdds all day. Iv been told that getting my A+ would be a great place to start and that college would be a waste. Would I have to take a coarse to be able to pass the A+ exam or could you pass it through self study?

The people I work with at the dc make 30-40/hr easy. Now I know that I cant make that right out of the box but iv been thinking of applying to dc's and telling them ill work for 12/hr and they can train me all they like in any way. I was wondering if this would be a good plan to start with and just work up from there? Can anybody give any tips and/or tricks to getting started?

It requires sec+ because sec+ is the easiest IAT level 2 cert.

Look on IASE for dodinst 8570 requirements and find out your career path at whatever command you end up at to see if they'll fund your waiver.

IAM
CEH, CISSP, Sec+, RHCSA
Enlisted
E5
Varies

I get out in 2 years and I don't want to get another government job of any sort. Any advice?

>Job Title
PhD candidate
>Years of Experience
1.5 years into my PhD
0.5 years as embedded dev
1.5 year as a C++ developer (+ the time as an embedded dev, so 2)
3 years doing part time stuff (Java, JavaScript, PHP, crap)

>Degrees/Certs
MSc in CS
No certs

Colleague of my advisor for my master's asked me to come back and do a PhD

>Pay
455k NOK (~54k USD) a year - tax + benefits
I usually end up with ~27k NOK (~3.2k USD) a month after taxes and phone + broadband paid for by the institute

>Location
Oslo, Norway

Fuck moving to VA for a job.

I would like to be a system administrator, which is better in job opportunities MS or Linux sys admin?
What advice would you give me, I'm currently 25 years old, I have basic cisco CCNA but that expired, so I was thinking about renewing it and going for a better cert along with one for a sys admin.

Isn't that a little bit less? Especially for NYC

How was studying for the RHCSA? How did you study and how long did it take you?